Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/18/2023 8:56:55 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Technically, you said pick a year when Kirk had a top 10 defense and a top 10 offense and David did.

Where did the coaching staff rank?

That wasn't the question.

And I’m not google.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 226
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/18/2023 9:16:54 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

You asked a question and I provided the answer. Now you’re saying I thought 2019 and 2022 were championship caliber teams? You’re actually doing somewhat well in this argument you really don’t need to jump to lying, especially at this point.

It's like you don't know Phil at all.

All along David F and Dan say the reason we aren't moving along in the playoffs is Kirk.....doesn't matter what the roster is....I said pick a year where we had a good roster. He picked a year and I asked him point blank if it was a championship roster....if it isn't they will blame Kirk or his salary, exactly his response once again....it is what Kirk haters do. Rinse, repeat.
2019 and 2022 were not championship rosters; 0.0% to do with the QB. 2023 may have the most competitive roster Kirk has had to QB...

Case Keenum is better than Kirk in the spotlight. He didn't need a top 10 defense and offense to win or choke away a playoff game.
Cousins will never ever lead us Super Bowl victory so why keep him around?
Trade him to the 9ers, he'll waive his no trade clause for them.

Somewhat true; he does have moxy but Case didn't have the arm though to play outdoors in the postseason....one of the reasons they signed Kirk.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 227
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/18/2023 10:28:52 AM   
marty

Kirk has a strong and accurate arm, but that's about it.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 228
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/18/2023 11:15:23 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You asked a question and I provided the answer. Now you’re saying I thought 2019 and 2022 were championship caliber teams? You’re actually doing somewhat well in this argument you really don’t need to jump to lying, especially at this point.

All along David F and Dan say the reason we aren't moving along in the playoffs is Kirk.....doesn't matter what the roster is....I said pick a year where we had a good roster. He picked a year and I asked him point blank if it was a championship roster....if it isn't they will blame Kirk or his salary, exactly his response once again....it is what Kirk haters do. Rinse, repeat.
2019 and 2022 were not championship rosters; 0.0% to do with the QB. 2023 may have the most competitive roster Kirk has had to QB...

Case Keenum is better than Kirk in the spotlight. He didn't need a top 10 defense and offense to win or choke away a playoff game.

Somewhat true; he does have moxy but Case didn't have the arm though to play outdoors in the postseason....one of the reasons they signed Kirk.

2017 was the best Viking defense in recent memory. #1 in yards and points allowed, lowest 3rd down conversion percentage in history at the time.
Post #: 229
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/18/2023 11:51:10 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

2017 was the best Viking defense in recent memory. #1 in yards and points allowed, lowest 3rd down conversion percentage in history at the time.

Keenum had one glorious year where he played with a horseshoe lodged solidly up his ass. He got away with some of the dumbest throws I have ever witnessed. There were times he chucked the ball blindly downfield only to have a receiver come out of nowhere to run under it. He didn't get away with that crap against Philly and he never enjoyed that luck again.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 230
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/18/2023 12:08:28 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Keenum had one glorious year where he played with a horseshoe lodged solidly up his ass. He got away with some of the dumbest throws I have ever witnessed. There were times he chucked the ball blindly downfield only to have a receiver come out of nowhere to run under it. He didn't get away with that crap against Philly and he never enjoyed that luck again.

If Cousins, who possesses talent that is superior to Keenum's by ten miles, could learn to adapt to his game, even a smidge of what made Keenum so magical that year, we'd not be having this conversation right now. Just a tiny smidge of risk taking, pocket presence, extending a play, and most importantly - game situation awareness is what Cousins' game is lacking. Considering he's been in the league over ten years I have to say I'm astonished that none of those aspects have crept into his game through pure experience.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 231
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/18/2023 12:19:21 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If Cousins, who possesses talent that is superior to Keenum's by ten miles, could learn to adapt to his game, even a smidge of what made Keenum so magical that year, we'd not be having this conversation right now. Just a tiny smidge of risk taking, pocket presence, extending a play, and most importantly - game situation awareness is what Cousins' game is lacking. Considering he's been in the league over ten years I have to say I'm astonished that none of those aspects have crept into his game through pure experience.

Whats your thoughts on Allen, Herbert, Jackson, Burrows, and Mahomes. The GMs added enough talent around them; I haven't seen it done yet and it had nothing to do with Kirks contract. Mahomes made big money last year and their GM replaced 7 starters with rookies.....so lets quit saying this is or that has been all Kirk's fault.

BUILD A BETTER TEAM.

Post #: 232
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/18/2023 12:25:18 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Whats your thoughts on Allen, Herbert, Jackson, Burrows, and Mahomes. The GMs added enough talent around them; I haven't seen it done yet and it had nothing to do with Kirks contract. Mahomes made big money last year and their GM replaced 7 starters with rookies.....so lets quit saying this is or that has been all Kirk's fault.

BUILD A BETTER TEAM.

Talent on offense around Cousins has not been lacking. There is a flaw in your argument here.

If a cow doesn't provide milk, is that a milk dud or and udder failure?
Post #: 233
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/18/2023 1:03:35 PM   
David Levine

It's not fair to judge Kirk until we see him with All Pros at every position!
Post #: 234
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/18/2023 2:18:39 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Technically, you said pick a year when Kirk had a top 10 defense and a top 10 offense and David did.

True, but the original question should have included it. Since the overall consideration is wins/ losses.

< Message edited by thebigo -- 5/18/2023 2:20:22 PM >
Post #: 235
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/18/2023 2:19:08 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

True, but the original question should have included it. Can this work considering wins/ losses.

Where do you find coach rankings?
Post #: 236
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/18/2023 2:22:00 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

True, but the original question should have included it. Can this work considering wins/ losses.

You rank them in your head, it's done all the time here
Post #: 237
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/18/2023 2:29:16 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

BUILD A BETTER TEAM.

Talent on offense around Cousins has not been lacking. There is a flaw in your argument here.

Talent wise how did the Offense match up with KC, Cincy, Buffalo, SF, Philly, and Dallas? Do you think we had an explosive offense last year with Thielen at #2 and broken shoulder Cook at RB par with those teams?

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 5/18/2023 2:33:16 PM >

Post #: 238
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/18/2023 2:44:40 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

BUILD A BETTER TEAM.

Talent wise how did the Offense match up with KC, Cincy, Buffalo, SF, Philly, and Dallas? Do you think we had an explosive offense last year with Thielen at #2 and broken shoulder Cook at RB par with those teams?

We were 8th in Points and 7th in Yards.

How much more talent does Kirk need?
Post #: 239
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/18/2023 2:56:44 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

BUILD A BETTER TEAM.

Exactly

It's like JJ, Theilen, Hockenson, Cook and company are just a bunch of shlubs.

We BEAT Buffalo with this offense. Buffalo would love to have our running game. Any of those teams would take JJ. Theilen has for years been among the leagues best at route running and catching the ball....Our talent compares well with all of those teams.

I am no Kirk Cousins Basher....nor am I a Kirk nughugger....but this argument makes no sense,.

and anti Kirkers can easily IMHO argue that with the talent Kirk had around him we should have gone farther....

Post #: 240
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/18/2023 3:47:30 PM   
marty

If Cousins had the Dallas OL of 1993, along with a top defense, there is a chance the team would win more than one playoff game, maybe even make the Super Bowl.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 241
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/18/2023 3:50:05 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You rank them in your head, it's done all the time here

Thats mostly just QBs
Post #: 242
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/18/2023 4:04:13 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

BUILD A BETTER TEAM.

Exactly

We BEAT Buffalo with this offense. Buffalo would love to have our running game. Any of those teams would take JJ. Theilen has for years been among the leagues best at route running and catching the ball....Our talent compares well with all of those teams.

I am no Kirk Cousins Basher....nor am I a Kirk nughugger....but this argument makes no sense,.

and anti Kirkers can easily IMHO argue that with the talent Kirk had around him we should have gone farther....

When you have one of the bottom defenses it makes total sense. Out offense talent compared well during the season; but not in the playoffs---JJ was shutdown because KJ and Thielen really weren't threats and couldn't beat man coverage; JJ and TJ were all the Giants were concerned with. Then you look at the defense.

Addison is a big addition this year as well as Oliver as a 2nd TE but can they somewhat get the defense to be reasonable.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 5/18/2023 4:06:02 PM >

Post #: 243
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2023 12:46:02 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

BUILD A BETTER TEAM.

Exactly

When you have one of the bottom defenses it makes total sense. Out offense talent compared well during the season; but not in the playoffs---JJ was shutdown because KJ and Thielen really weren't threats and couldn't beat man coverage; JJ and TJ were all the Giants were concerned with. Then you look at the defense.

Addison is a big addition this year as well as Oliver as a 2nd TE but can they somewhat get the defense to be reasonable.

Ofcourse. Before the draft it was, full-time Osborn would ascend to #2 WR and give us more juice / upgrade Thielen. Now that the regime has blasted that out of the water, scrap metal Thielen AND Osborn weren’t good enough to give Cousins the support he requires.

Also, the defense wasn’t on the field for the last two Cousins playoff throws (well, one bad throw and one horrible decision). You can have a generational defense and still be in close games … and you HAVE to have a QB that gives you more on 4th down / 4th quarter of the playoffs. Regardless of the defense.

The Phil two-step continues. Actually, its gotten more elaborate over time … maybe the Phil lambada.
Post #: 244
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2023 9:26:48 AM   
Phil Riewer

I don't know about the name calling at the end....maybe you think it is funny?

Post #: 245
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2023 9:28:41 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

BUILD A BETTER TEAM.

Exactly

Yes we did beat Buffalo in the middle of the year when the defense had something---we also were down 21 points at one time and had a lot of good luck.

Playoff time and the ball wasn't bouncing our way and the Giants were sucking up the clock---then it is a different story.

Post #: 246
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2023 12:20:07 PM   
David Levine

quote:

I'm sorry, but that's a bullshit excuse. The Giants defense was not good. Just saying "Playoff Defense" isn't some magic word that turns mediocre into great once the post season begins.

17th in points scored and 25th in yards.

Hell, our much maligned offensive line did not allow a single sack of Cousins on 39 pass attempts.

The Giants were a 9 win team that finished 3rd in their division and had no right even being in the Playoffs (which was made abundantly clear the next week).
Post #: 247
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2023 2:05:31 PM   
Jeff Jesser

It's funny that people on here continue to refer to the Buffalo "win". We didn't "win" that game, it was gifted to us by a once in a generation type catch and Josh Allen making the most glaring gaffe of the season.

This board, in general, will be much better served, IMO, if we all take a deep breath and tell ourselves that all those breaks aren't likely to continue.
Post #: 248
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2023 2:55:09 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

It's funny that people on here continue to refer to the Buffalo "win". We didn't "win" that game, it was gifted to us by a once in a generation type catch and Josh Allen making the most glaring gaffe of the season.

This board, in general, will be much better served, IMO, if we all take a deep breath and tell ourselves that all those breaks aren't likely to continue.

sigh

We also had to overcome some terrible reffing in that game...Many games are won this way and it went on our record as a win. so yes we did WIN this game. Buffalo played just poorly enough to lose we played just good enough to eke out a win.

And it doesn't change the argument. The Vikings offense had plenty of talent to go toe to toe with a very good Buffalo team.

To argue otherwise is making excuses for Kirk Cousins. and its disingenuous.

Post #: 249
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/19/2023 4:09:19 PM   
ambear

Rip Jim Brown.
Post #: 250
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode