Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2023 8:04:00 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

Cook....we have money now; are we cutting, trading, restructuring....

I want the best right guard we can get - move ingram to the left side and make cleveland an all-purpose backup lineman...maybe even trade o'neill next year and move cleveland to right tackle....

we're going to pay darisaw and Jefferson....

Heard some rumors that Cleveland wants to be a Tackle....

Makes sense. He is athletic with good feet. He's not good in a phone booth playing G that is obvious.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 326
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2023 9:58:35 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

Cook....we have money now; are we cutting, trading, restructuring....

I want the best right guard we can get - move ingram to the left side and make cleveland an all-purpose backup lineman...maybe even trade o'neill next year and move cleveland to right tackle....

we're going to pay darisaw and Jefferson....

Heard some rumors that Cleveland wants to be a Tackle....

Makes sense. He is athletic with good feet. He's not good in a phone booth playing G that is obvious.

Plus tackle is where the money is at.
Post #: 327
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/25/2023 10:02:41 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Sam Ekstrom
@SamEkstrom
·
May 23
Christian Darrisaw also made a remark that facing Ed Donatell's defense in practice didn't prepare them for games.

"Those [Flores] looks, we weren't seeing those last year, and we'd kind of get into games and teams would run a certain defense and we were negatively affected."

Quote Tweet
Andrew Krammer
@Andrew_Krammer
·
May 23
-After two practices, Alexander Mattison used "intense" four times to describe the defense under Brian Flores: "Mentally from the backfield looking at that defensive front, those backers and how they’re moving around -- the way they’re lining up out the gate is very intense."
Show this thread

Now we won't be ready to face Ed donatelli coached defenses.
Post #: 328
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/26/2023 6:05:31 AM   
SAMiller711r

So what about Mr. Brian Flores, hmm? Let's say he's a massive improvement over the last guy. Brings our defense from its 30 (ish) rated performance to about say 12 to 15. Maybe even higher. Me I think that could happen. Then what? The Bears or Saints or somebody snaps him up as their new head coach, (and i think thats exactly what will happen)and now we're back to installing a third new defense in three years. Kirk is gone or at least has been handed his hat, so like him or not the offense..declines...These are some of the frothy feel good thoughts that occupy my mind frequently.

O Lord save us from the fury of the Norsemen
Post #: 329
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/26/2023 6:48:08 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: SAMiller711r

So what about Mr. Brian Flores, hmm? Let's say he's a massive improvement over the last guy. Brings our defense from its 30 (ish) rated performance to about say 12 to 15. Maybe even higher. Me I think that could happen. Then what? The Bears or Saints or somebody snaps him up as their new head coach, (and i think thats exactly what will happen)and now we're back to installing a third new defense in three years. Kirk is gone or at least has been handed his hat, so like him or not the offense..declines...These are some of the frothy feel good thoughts that occupy my mind frequently.

So what? If Brian Flores gets a head coaching gig, it will be because the Vikings and their defense had a very successful season. Any defensive coordinator who comes in and transforms the Vikings D from worst to great is going to get serious HC consideration around the league. You look for the next Brian Flores and head into 2024.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 330
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/26/2023 7:58:08 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

So what? If Brian Flores gets a head coaching gig, it will be because the Vikings and their defense had a very successful season. Any defensive coordinator who comes in and transforms the Vikings D from worst to great is going to get serious HC consideration around the league. You look for the next Brian Flores and head into 2024.

Not sure if an owner will sign off on making Flores a HC in the near future being he has a pending lawsuit against the NFL. The owners good ole boy club have shown they will unite when someone is trying to get into their wallets.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 331
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/26/2023 9:16:20 AM   
marty

Flores appears like he might have a chip on his shoulder, which makes the D aggressive.

That can also be used against him in interviews, and hopefully there is enough racism out there where he has trouble getting a HC position, and the Vikings benefit by having him as DC for 5 years.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 332
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/26/2023 9:44:40 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Flores appears like he might have a chip on his shoulder, which makes the D aggressive.

That can also be used against him in interviews, and hopefully there is enough racism out there where he has trouble getting a HC position, and the Vikings benefit by having him as DC for 5 years.

Really Marty? You're rooting for racism to keep our defensive coordinator in place?

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 333
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/26/2023 10:00:42 AM   
Murph

quote:

You are joking right?

Not funny.

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 334
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/26/2023 10:25:17 AM   
marty

You're right, I shouldn't have joked about that.

If Flores is effective as a DC, he'll probably be a head coach before long. And I want what is best for him. That trumps what is best for the Vikings.

It is better that I hope there will be very few teams looking for a head coach for the next few years, and if there are openings, that another person nails their interview, and the Vikings benefit by having Flores as DC for several years.

OR, the Vikings decide in a few years that it would best to keep Flores, and to make him the Vikings HC. But I would need to be convinced that KOC isn't going to get the Vikings there (to a SB win).

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 335
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/26/2023 12:07:15 PM   
David Levine

quote:

It's a good problem to have.

But if he does so well that he gets snatched up, I'd hope his top assistant would be ready to take over and keep things running smoothly.
Post #: 336
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/26/2023 12:54:18 PM   
David F.

It's not like we have a history of having a first-year defensive coordinator being snatched off the staff only to watch him win a super bowl with his new team in his second season and go on to sixteen straight seasons of .500 or better. Wait - I'm being told that in fact that exact scenario played out.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 337
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/26/2023 1:15:46 PM   
Ricky J

If he's that good, gets "snatched up," prob mean we had a pretty dang good year!
Post #: 338
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/26/2023 8:45:53 PM   
marty

I am excited about the possibilities on defense, but am concerned about a lack of size.

On offense, I am also concerned about the lack of size with the RBs, and with Addison. Addison may just be an injury waiting to happen.

I am also concerned that all 3 RBs may all just be backup material, and Cook's homeruns will be missed. I would have kept Cook, and added Montgomery.

SIZE and speed matter.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 339
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/27/2023 6:42:26 AM   
Todd M

If Flores doesn't stay a min 2 years he's a selfish weiner who I'll hope takes a job with a shitty team and fails.

Man up and make us something. See it through. SB win in 3 years ...boom or bust.
Post #: 340
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/27/2023 6:45:21 AM   
Todd M

I'll even suck it up and get behind Cousins if we just go with it on O and field a top 5 defense the next 3 years

We'd likey (surely) win a championship in the next 3 years.
Post #: 341
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/27/2023 6:46:57 AM   
Todd M

Offer Cousins 3 years 90 million guaranteed.

He'd have to take it. Or be labeled a selfish weiner.
Post #: 342
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/27/2023 6:48:15 AM   
Todd M

The theme developing is - no selfish weiner's.
Post #: 343
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/27/2023 11:20:42 AM   
marty

IF Flores is wildly successful in the next year or so, the defense becomes 10, should the Vikings consider making Flores the HC at letting go of O'Connell, or should they keep O'Connell and let Flores become a HC somewhere else ?

Would it be easier to find an new OC for Flores, or a new DC for KOC ?

Maybe it's because I fear Flores will be another Mike Tomlin. Did the offense improve a lot under KOC (Kirk's stats regressed in some ways), or were the Vikings just better as a team in the 4th quarter last season ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 344
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/27/2023 1:11:22 PM   
thebigo

quote:

IF Flores is wildly successful in the next year or so, the defense becomes 10, should the Vikings consider making Flores the HC at letting go of O'Connell, or should they keep O'Connell and let Flores become a HC somewhere else ?

Would it be easier to find an new OC for Flores, or a new DC for KOC ?

Maybe it's because I fear Flores will be another Mike Tomlin. Did the offense improve a lot under KOC (Kirk's stats regressed in some ways), or were the Vikings just better as a team in the 4th quarter last season ?

Last I recall, the general theme hereabouts was replace Zimmer with an offensive guy who would run the offense so we could avoid the yearly OC carousel.
Post #: 345
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/27/2023 7:36:04 PM   
marty

Does this mean we instead get on a yearly DC carousel ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 346
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/27/2023 8:13:29 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Offer Cousins 3 years 90 million guaranteed.

He'd have to take it. Or be labeled a selfish weiner.

Offer him a one way, go see Jesus, ticket to mediocrity city, and build up a QBOTF who is young, has talent under pressure, is mobile, and can read progressions and route trees, faster than a sloth, un like KFC ..

I’m sick of pinning hopes and dreams on some favrey wannabes…

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 347
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/27/2023 8:44:19 PM   
marty

Cousins can be the next Stafford in year 2 with KOC.

The Vikings may be closer than we think to being the best team in the NFC.

Last year I recommended the Vikings sign the disgruntled Deebo, and that would have been a great move. This year, if you're going all in, sign Hopkins and put little Addison in the slot. They would have the most dangerous WR corps in the NFL.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 348
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/28/2023 12:11:24 AM   
David F.

quote:

Cousins can be the next Stafford in year 2 with KOC.

The Vikings may be closer than we think to being the best team in the NFC.

Last year I recommended the Vikings sign the disgruntled Deebo, and that would have been a great move. This year, if you're going all in, sign Hopkins and put little Addison in the slot. They would have the most dangerous WR corps in the NFL.

If cousins can be the next stafford then so can about half the qbs in the league and some of the first rounders.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 349
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/28/2023 3:16:59 AM   
marty

Maybe they can ?

Except Cousins is likely in a better situation. He is in season 2 with a HC who has been with a program that won it with a QB like Stafford, and has a DC that can get the defense in the top 10.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 350
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode