Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  166 167 [168] 169 170   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 10:44:09 AM   
Phil Riewer

Guys that I think are better than what is listed....Dobbs, Mason Rudolph, or Trubisky. Semi young, mobile, and starting experience. Don't give up more than a 5th or 6th.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 4176
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 10:45:38 AM   
Phil Riewer

Chicago must be going for it?

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
1m

Sources: The #Bears and #Commanders are in agreement on a massive trade for star pass-rusher Montez Sweat to land in Chicago in exchange for a 2nd round pick.

Post #: 4177
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 10:47:02 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Why not Tanner Morgan?

Who's that?

https://www.totalprosports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings-tanner-morgan-qb-released/

Vikes just released him 3 weeks ago. He should know the playbook.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 4178
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 10:47:50 AM   
Todd M

Shedding not adding draft stock and not finding out what you have in the guy you did draft is bad management.

The bar is not high with any of those guys means you should go with Hall. Mullins when healthy if Hall struggles.
Post #: 4179
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 10:48:46 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Star Tribune Sports@StribSports
Kevin O'Connell sounds like a head coach ready to welcome a new quarterback and keep the #Vikings winning streak going.
@LaVelleNeal writes that it's not time to trade away talent or tank. It is time to improvise. https://startribune.com/minnesota-vikings-new-quarterback-kirk-cousins-la-velle-e-neal/600316146/ #NFL

VikingzFanPage@vikingzfanpage
Some quarterback options via trade for the #Vikings before Tuesdays deadline:

• Jameis Winston
• Jacoby Brissett
• Ryan Tannehill
• Trey Lance
• Case Keenum
• Teddy Bridgewater

A list of guys that were no good EVER.

I would rather they sign Philip Rivers vs any of that junk.

My first choice is to find out if what they have is any good. Plenty of games left, plenty of targets, and decent OL for pass protection.

Tannehill's stats pretty much mirrored Kirk Cousins' stats from 2019-2022. I wouldn't take him based on his salary though. Jameis Winston would be fun. He played well in 2021 and had the most bipolar season of anyone in hitory in 2019. 5000+ yards, 33 TDs and 30 INTs haha! Dude could throw 7 TD passes in a game - 4 for us and 3 for the other team. Jacoby Brissett is decent and played well as recently as last season. To say these guys were never good EVER is a lazy take.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 4180
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 10:50:02 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Shedding not adding draft stock and not finding out what you have in the guy you did draft is bad management.

The bar is not high with any of those guys means you should go with Hall. Mullins when healthy if Hall struggles.

We can add a vet and still play the rookie. We need depth.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 4181
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 11:02:28 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

Like the Vet wouldn't be ready right away and Hall could make it impossible to take out -- be up to him
Post #: 4182
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 11:06:39 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Guys that I think are better than what is listed....Dobbs, Mason Rudolph, or Trubisky. Semi young, mobile, and starting experience. Don't give up more than a 5th or 6th.

Pinkett is hurt so the Pitt backups will be off the table

Post #: 4183
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 11:07:10 AM   
Tom Sykes

Its real simple.

We either pluck someone from someone else's practice squad that can do this, play in and play out: https://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry/status/1719163359214358552

Or we rent [not trade for] a veteran not named Mannion to back up Hall until Mullens returns.

There hasn't been a name thrown out there that will improve our record by 2 games over what we would get from Mannion, who just barely beats the last resort 'Nuclear Emergency Briefcase' option.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 10/31/2023 11:08:15 AM >
Post #: 4184
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 11:15:50 AM   
Tom Sykes

i.e., we are renting Colt McCoy for 2-3 weeks.

unless Hall looks super bad. then we probably hold on to McCoy for longer.
Post #: 4185
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 11:17:38 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

that's the way I see it...nick foles....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 4186
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 11:18:55 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

Its real simple.

We either pluck someone from someone else's practice squad that can do this, play in and play out: https://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry/status/1719163359214358552

Or we rent [not trade for] a veteran not named Mannion to back up Hall until Mullens returns.

There hasn't been a name thrown out there that will improve our record by 2 games over what we would get from Mannion, who just barely beats the last resort 'Nuclear Emergency Briefcase' option.

Right, no one on that list is a no-brainer over Mullens ... but I agree, it might be fun to watch Winston wing it as long as the expectations were gone - what am I talking about, the expectations (hope) left the building
Post #: 4187
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 11:27:20 AM   
David F.

I feel now is a good time for me to double-down on my assessment of the team post-Kirk. We're going to be really really surprised at how small of a dropoff in play/wins/excitement there is. So long as our new QB isn't Mannion (this is my Phil disclaimer) I view 8-9 as the expected outcome and wouldn't be surprised to see 10-7 and playoffs. My acceptable QBs are Hall, Mullins, and any traded for QB that doesn't have a huge contract or any QB off the street. I'd take Brissett or Winston in a heartbeat and would also be fine with Dalton or Wentz.

Post #: 4188
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 11:31:16 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why not Tanner Morgan?

Who's that?

Not sure he was given our playbook. They brought him in to mimic a running qb on the scout team and released him.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 4189
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 11:34:54 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

I feel now is a good time for me to double-down on my assessment of the team post-Kirk. We're going to be really really surprised at how small of a dropoff in play/wins/excitement there is. So long as our new QB isn't Mannion (this is my Phil disclaimer) I view 8-9 as the expected outcome and wouldn't be surprised to see 10-7 and playoffs. My acceptable QBs are Hall, Mullins, and any traded for QB that doesn't have a huge contract or any QB off the street. I'd take Brissett or Winston in a heartbeat and would also be fine with Dalton or Wentz.

Usually you will have to define normal when anyone left out there is very much below normal. Dan Cole's quote of the best of the worst really does apply.

A Bucs fan told me Winston really hasn't been the same since he tore his knee a few years ago (Not Brad H either). Wentz also has injury concerns as soon as he sees the field. Brissett, Dalton, Dobbs, or Foles outside of some big time trade would be better than David F's first normal post.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/31/2023 11:36:14 AM >

Post #: 4190
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 11:56:53 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

quote:

quote:

Star Tribune Sports@StribSports
Kevin O'Connell sounds like a head coach ready to welcome a new quarterback and keep the #Vikings winning streak going.
@LaVelleNeal writes that it's not time to trade away talent or tank. It is time to improvise. https://startribune.com/minnesota-vikings-new-quarterback-kirk-cousins-la-velle-e-neal/600316146/ #NFL

VikingzFanPage@vikingzfanpage
Some quarterback options via trade for the #Vikings before Tuesdays deadline:

• Jameis Winston
• Jacoby Brissett
• Ryan Tannehill
• Trey Lance
• Case Keenum
• Teddy Bridgewater

A list of guys that were no good EVER.

I would rather they sign Philip Rivers vs any of that junk.

My first choice is to find out if what they have is any good. Plenty of games left, plenty of targets, and decent OL for pass protection.

Tannehill's stats pretty much mirrored Kirk Cousins' stats from 2019-2022. I wouldn't take him based on his salary though. Jameis Winston would be fun. He played well in 2021 and had the most bipolar season of anyone in hitory in 2019. 5000+ yards, 33 TDs and 30 INTs haha! Dude could throw 7 TD passes in a game - 4 for us and 3 for the other team. Jacoby Brissett is decent and played well as recently as last season. To say these guys were never good EVER is a lazy take.

Winston sucks always has, turnover machine.
Lance? roflmao
Keenum? It was what 5 years ago he got hot for a 1/2 hour?
Brissett? yes, he has worn a uniform. stats are so limited he might as well dress up as Lance.
Bridgewater wasn't a passing qb when he had knees. Gravy trained AP.

so the list has one guy, he was ok 2 or 3 years ago. I would rather have Rivers vs Tannehill, agree to disagree.

The rest of the list should be printed on toilet paper so it's at least useful.

but like I said, play the rookie and find out what you got. The worst decision would be to play a career garbage can guy and go into the offseason not even knowing if Hall is a QB.

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 10/31/2023 11:59:03 AM >
Post #: 4191
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 12:23:01 PM   
joejitsu

I think the best move for us is to sit, play who we have, and see how the rest of the season plays out. It will make the offseason much clearer.
Post #: 4192
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 12:34:54 PM   
fmaltes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: fmaltes

It is very clear from the Vikings history and that of the NFL that elite QBs that make it easier to get to the Super Bowl are few and far between. Also, in most cases, the teams that got those elite QBs did not tank. However, that does not mean that you cannot make it and win the Super Bowl if you do not have an elite QB. There are fewer cases--the Bears, Ravens and Raiders come to mind. We need to remember that there
is hope if you do not have an elite QB. The chances are less, but not impossible.

Only 3 Active QB's in the NFL have won a Super Bowl as a starter and at the moment only Mahomes is desirable as a QB to build around.

"Elite" gets tossed around a lot but few have actually delivered.

I don't think there is a "formula". Need to acquire talent at OL, DL, CB, WR, and QB and hope it works out.

I totally agree. Ability to get talent through the draft, free agency and perhaps trades is key. What is clearly a stupid idea is tanking.
Post #: 4193
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 12:36:12 PM   
fmaltes

CB Johnson from Chicago might be gotten cheap. Avoids us having to risk a high draft pick to get a top-tier corner--something we have failed at repeatedly.
Post #: 4194
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 12:43:58 PM   
ratoppenheimer

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero
Trade! The #Cardinals are sending QB Josh Dobbs to the #Vikings, sources tell me and @RapSheet.

NFL Rumors@nflrums
🚨 BREAKING
The Arizona Cardinals are sending Joshua Dobbs to the Minnesota Vikings.

FOX Sports Knoxville@FOXSportsKnox
Josh Dobbs has been traded to the Minnesota Vikings.

#1 Sports Insider@JusWasRight
Breaking News: The Arizona Cardinals are trading QB Joshua Dobbs to the Minnesota Vikings. Wow! Vikings got their guy and they needed it. I talked to my sources in the organization and they said this roster is way too good to not be buyers at the deadline #NFL #SKOL #BIRDGANG

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 10/31/2023 12:51:44 PM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 4195
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 12:46:22 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why not Tanner Morgan?

Who's that?

Not sure he was given our playbook. They brought him in to mimic a running qb on the scout team and released him.

The guy whose season high for rushing yards is 55 was brought in to mimic a running QB?
Post #: 4196
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 12:46:22 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

NFL Rumors@nflrums
🚨 BREAKING

The Arizona Cardinals are sending Joshua Dobbs to the Minnesota Vikings.

FOX Sports Knoxville@FOXSportsKnox
Josh Dobbs has been traded to the Minnesota Vikings.

Just heard that,
Don't hate it!
Post #: 4197
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 12:46:32 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

If we didn't give up anything really I'm not mad at it.
Post #: 4198
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 12:47:32 PM   
David Levine

PFF MIN Vikings@PFF_Vikings

Joshua Dobbs this season:

167/266
1,569 yards
8 TDs / 5 INTs
258 rushing yards, 8 explosive runs

His 62.1 PFF grade this season ranks 28th/36 eligible QBs (min 100 snaps)
Post #: 4199
RE: General Vikes Talk - 10/31/2023 12:48:09 PM   
kevinemmer

My son-in-law says Dobbs has no eyebrows or hair. (Alopecia)

Young up and comer, hope we didn't have to give too much.
Post #: 4200
Page:   <<   < prev  166 167 [168] 169 170   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  166 167 [168] 169 170   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode