Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  209 210 [211] 212 213   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 10:31:17 AM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

A thought I had last night - after another game changing fumble: ignoring the savings we got from Cook and where that money went etc, and there's no way of knowing bc maybe he would of fumbled 5 times himself, but I can't help but think we could have a couple more wins this year if we would have kept him. and other than recent run production by Chandler I can't see him making our running game worse than what it was/is

Cook might be done.

He has 160 rushing yards in 10 games. Averaging 3.3 YPC with a long of 10 yards. He has 0 TDs and 1 Fumble.

He also has 10 receptions for 47 yards and no scores.

He's not the bellcow in New York like he was here. had he taken the restructure offer here he would be doing far better...That being said, I don't think it was a bad move to cut him loose. I personally thought Mattison would be much better than this...

Hindsight being what it is, it looks like we both made a good move and a bad one.

If he was still good, he'd play more. But he isn;t doing anything with the snaps he does get.

The guy ahead of him is incredibly mediocre. He's had two really big runs, but he's been terrible in 7 of his 10 games.

Getting rid of Cook isn't the problem, it was thinking Mattison could replace him. I'm guilty of that. I didn't think Mattison would be this unproductive. They wouldn't have brought Akers in if Mattison was getting the job done. Another failure was not drafting a running back that could actually get snaps...McBride was a bad selection. Not sure what they saw in him rather than drafting a more dynamic, faster back. He's a plodder.
Post #: 5251
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 10:49:37 AM   
jbusse

A couple of former Vikings having decent years according to PFF:

Chase McLaughlin (TB) currently the #1 rated kicker (out of 37) -- 2 stints on Vikes practice squad
Armon Watts (Pitt) currently the #24 rated defensive interior player (out of 107)
Post #: 5252
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 10:59:53 AM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: odin

Alexander Mattison's 11 runs inside the 10-yard line have netted 0 touchdowns and -5 yards.
— Paul Charchian (@PaulCharchian) November 22, 2023

I hope the coach is aware of this stat. Mattison should not be in the game when the ball is inside the ten...no burst or explosion. I think that's what the stat reflects.
Post #: 5253
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 11:11:04 AM   
bstinger

quote:

We did run against Denver.

Mattison 18/81 4.5
Chandler 10/73 7.3

We fumbled against them, too

Chandler's #'s are skewed by the fake punt.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 5254
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 11:24:54 AM   
marty

I didn't think Matteson would be a solid #1, that's why I predicted the Vikings would trade for a RB (which they did with Akers).

It's too bad Chandler is probably too small, or seems to lack the ability to be a good blocker. They should use him primarily as a designed outlet, if nothing else is open.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 5255
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 11:25:11 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

Mattison 18/81 4.5
Chandler 10/73 7.3

It's not a popular opinion but it's my opinion nonetheless. Mattison is just as good as all the other backs yet is superior in pass protection. Chandler and Akers might have run for .1 or .2 more yards per carry but the difference was negligible. Chandler's poor pass protection led to the INT last week. Mattison has only two fumbles for the season and people are down on him for that yet his fumble/carry stat is decent compared to the league.

Mattison isn't awesome, in fact he's average-to-below-average as a back but he's also become the scapegoat now that we don't have the O-line to kick around anymore.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 5256
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 12:03:35 PM   
Bill Johanesen

He's not all that, but for now Chandler should start. Ideally bring in Mattison for short yardage but that's where he really falters.

And we still have the OL to kick around because they are not getting it done with the run blocking.

Cam Akers, career low ypc. Mattison, career low ypc. The OL is the common denominator.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 11/27/2023 12:06:03 PM >
Post #: 5257
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 12:44:59 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

Mattison 18/81 4.5
Chandler 10/73 7.3

It's not a popular opinion but it's my opinion nonetheless. Mattison is just as good as all the other backs yet is superior in pass protection. Chandler and Akers might have run for .1 or .2 more yards per carry but the difference was negligible. Chandler's poor pass protection led to the INT last week. Mattison has only two fumbles for the season and people are down on him for that yet his fumble/carry stat is decent compared to the league.

Mattison isn't awesome, in fact he's average-to-below-average as a back but he's also become the scapegoat now that we don't have the O-line to kick around anymore.

Chandler and Akers have dramatically more burst that Mattison. Mattison is little tougher runner and a lot better blocker, but struggles catching.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 5258
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 1:13:28 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

He's not all that, but for now Chandler should start. Ideally bring in Mattison for short yardage but that's where he really falters.

And we still have the OL to kick around because they are not getting it done with the run blocking.

Cam Akers, career low ypc. Mattison, career low ypc. The OL is the common denominator.

Is it just me or has it gotten worse since they traded Cleveland?
Post #: 5259
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 1:16:26 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mattison 18/81 4.5
Chandler 10/73 7.3

Chandler and Akers have dramatically more burst that Mattison. Mattison is little tougher runner and a lot better blocker, but struggles catching.

Right. Yes Chandler had a bad rep that directly contributed to the INT … I also saw him stonewall a couple of dudes in the same game. I’d like to see him get regular carries before I say he’s good or bad at anything. As it is, hes faster and has a more natural feel than Mattison, who is more physical but limited … what use is a sturdy aggressive physical rb if he’s clueless in short yardage / goalline situations! Mediocre!

I have no idea what Chandler brings to the passing game. Hopefully we’ll find out soon. He must not look good in practice to be held back the way he has been. If he’s not an easy step up from Mattison who is a change of pace back and nothing more, we should still be auditioning backs.
Post #: 5260
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 1:57:40 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mattison 18/81 4.5
Chandler 10/73 7.3

Right. Yes Chandler had a bad rep that directly contributed to the INT … I also saw him stonewall a couple of dudes in the same game. I’d like to see him get regular carries before I say he’s good or bad at anything. As it is, hes faster and has a more natural feel than Mattison, who is more physical but limited … what use is a sturdy aggressive physical rb if he’s clueless in short yardage / goalline situations! Mediocre!

I have no idea what Chandler brings to the passing game. Hopefully we’ll find out soon. He must not look good in practice to be held back the way he has been. If he’s not an easy step up from Mattison who is a change of pace back and nothing more, we should still be auditioning backs.

On KFAN today, they said Chandler's main issue is he's struggled learning the playbook (including blocking responsibilities) and its complexity compared to his college team.
Post #: 5261
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 2:40:49 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mattison 18/81 4.5
Chandler 10/73 7.3

On KFAN today, they said Chandler's main issue is he's struggled learning the playbook (including blocking responsibilities) and its complexity compared to his college team.

Not sure how KFAN would know that but if true, its certainly a problem.

There have been some very NOT bright but good football players ... even at qb so that's a real ding on a rb (it only took Patterson about 8 years to find his mojo)

Usually I'm sure its just impatience by fans like me ... sometimes it seems like coaches take too long to reach a comfort level with certain young players ... like they should have just plugged them in sooner.
Post #: 5262
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 3:02:18 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mattison 18/81 4.5
Chandler 10/73 7.3

Not sure how KFAN would know that but if true, its certainly a problem.

There have been some very NOT bright but good football players ... even at qb so that's a real ding on a rb (it only took Patterson about 8 years to find his mojo)

Usually I'm sure its just impatience by fans like me ... sometimes it seems like coaches take too long to reach a comfort level with certain young players ... like they should have just plugged them in sooner.

JJ didn't see the field for a couple weeks his rookie season because Zimmer....well, Zimmer...It wasn't until someone else got injured that he got a chance and he immediately took off. He played so well Zimmer couldn't justify benching him when other WR got better.

Coaches can be dumb sometimes.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 5263
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 3:20:13 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mattison 18/81 4.5
Chandler 10/73 7.3

KFAN is a joke with their excuses.

In his first five games, Adrian Peterson had 607 yards. Chandler has been here two years. While not fair to compare Chandler to an all-time great runner, it's not rocket science.

The RBs are not very good. The OL is not very good at blocking. Add it to the list of things needing to be addressed in the offseason.
Post #: 5264
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 3:42:56 PM   
Todd M

del

< Message edited by Todd M -- 11/27/2023 3:47:44 PM >
Post #: 5265
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 3:50:08 PM   
Todd M

Sigh TDTP.
Post #: 5266
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 4:23:32 PM   
stfrank

But PA is a self proclaimed elite football mind and as a Viking insider knows so much more than your average football fan.....
Post #: 5267
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 4:51:48 PM   
jbusse

Many well-connected and football savvy reporters frequently appear on KFAN during football season, including Ben Leber, Ben Goessling, Jon Krawczynski, Alec Lewis, and Kevin Seifert, to name a few. You have to know enough to know who to listen to.
Post #: 5268
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 5:19:20 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

Current PFF 2024 QB draft rankings

1. Caleb Williams, overall big board 1, 2023 PFF score 90.3
2. Drake Maye, 3, 90.8
3. Bo Nix, 17, 92.9
4. Jayden Daniels, 23, 94.6
5. Michael Penix, 25, 90.8
6. Shedeur Sanders, 38, 88.7
7. Carson Beck, 45, 91.7
8. JJ McCarthy, 52, 91.0

Sanders will play another year for his Dad.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 5269
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 5:53:22 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

Current PFF 2024 QB draft rankings

1. Caleb Williams, overall big board 1, 2023 PFF score 90.3
2. Drake Maye, 3, 90.8
3. Bo Nix, 17, 92.9
4. Jayden Daniels, 23, 94.6
5. Michael Penix, 25, 90.8
6. Shedeur Sanders, 38, 88.7
7. Carson Beck, 45, 91.7
8. JJ McCarthy, 52, 91.0

Sanders will play another year for his Dad.

Heard he busted his back?

I'd like us to move up for Daniels....pipe-dreaming, haha!
Post #: 5270
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 10:10:34 PM   
marty

I see some people are coming around to my thinking before the season started, that by the end of the season, we would be debating whether or not to keep Brian Flores by making him the head coach.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 5271
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 10:57:40 PM   
Jeff Allen

Typical Vikings and their conservative play calling and zone defense when they need a stop. Doesn't matter who is coaching this team. We get one first down we win the game. Idiot calls two runs and a stupid WR screen...and then in post game blames the INT's. Fact is they had a chance to win and KOC blew it. And JJ should have been playing. Seven weeks for a hamstring? If the delay came from Jefferson they need to just get rid of him...selfish player. If it came from the Vikings they are just dumb. They can't even get tanking right...they will finish 8-9 or 9-8 and draft the fifth best QB in the draft.
Post #: 5272
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 11:02:36 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Allen

Typical Vikings and their conservative play calling and zone defense when they need a stop. Doesn't matter who is coaching this team. We get one first down we win the game. Idiot calls two runs and a stupid WR screen...and then in post game blames the INT's. Fact is they had a chance to win and KOC blew it. And JJ should have been playing. Seven weeks for a hamstring? If the delay came from Jefferson they need to just get rid of him...selfish player. If it came from the Vikings they are just dumb. They can't even get tanking right...they will finish 8-9 or 9-8 and draft the fifth best QB in the draft.

Yep.
Post #: 5273
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 11:06:15 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

I'd start fielding calls immediately after the season is over for Jefferson. What the heck are we paying him that much for? To fumble TDs away and barely score any TDs? No thanks.
Post #: 5274
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/27/2023 11:06:17 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

But, I think you can get the fifth QB taken and still come away with a QBOTF.

Do I trust KAM and KOC to find that guy? Not sure.
Post #: 5275
Page:   <<   < prev  209 210 [211] 212 213   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  209 210 [211] 212 213   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode