Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  239 240 [241] 242 243   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 7:48:47 AM  1 votes
Todd M

Ugly ducking syndrome.

When has our team ever been paid off with a beautiful swan after showing patience?

So afraid to project based on what you’re getting now. Ponder never became a QB and Williamson never learned to catch. Why get to the end of year 4 with KOC playing scared, or getting a delay of game after a time out? Etc..

Flores made a steak sandwich out of road kill. He should be HC.
Post #: 6001
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 9:31:05 AM  1 votes
Ricky J

Vikings defying odds with their many, many quarterbacks

https://www.startribune.com/vikings-qb-nick-mullens-josh-dobbs-bengals-jim-souhan/600328675/

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 12/16/2023 9:54:50 AM >
Post #: 6002
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 10:23:29 AM  2 votes
Ricky J

The Vikings will use their fourth starting quarterback on Saturday, in the 14th game of their season, when Nick Mullens takes their first offensive snap, and maybe several more.

At this rate, the Vikings will be cooking up a special play on Jan. 7, when they face the Detroit Lions for the championship of the NFC North: Sean Mannion will take the snap from center and pitch to Joshua Dobbs, who will hand it to Joe Webb or Spergon Wynn or Case Keenum.

What's more remarkable? That the Vikings, comfortable with Kirk Cousins' remarkable durability entering the season, are on their fourth starting quarterback? Or that they are on their fourth starting quarterback and are in position to make the playoffs and perhaps even play for a division title?

We have relearned a few NFL verities this season:

• Every durable quarterback is one bad step away from spending the season doing ManningCasts and shopping at Kohl's for the perfect sit-around-and-do-nothing Pima cotton mock turtleneck.

• The second-most important position on the roster might be the backup quarterback. (Or fourth quarterback.)

• The NFL can quickly become unwatchable when the position isn't played well. Exhibit A: Dobbs vs. Aidan O'Connell. Which is why every new rule devised to protect quarterbacks is a good idea, even if your buddy who starred at linebacker for his JV team in high school thinks they ruin the sport.

• We cannot overstate how difficult it is to succeed long term at the most difficult position in sports.

Vikings coach Kevin O'Connell's draft résumé listed him as 6-foot-6 and 228 pounds with a strong arm.

He's tall, athletic and intelligent. He proved his mastery of offensive coaching as the offensive coordinator of the Super Bowl champion Rams and while guiding the Vikings to 13 victories in his first season as a head coach.

Dobbs studied aerospace engineering. He's experienced and athletic and possesses leadership characteristics.

O'Connell was allowed to throw six NFL passes. Dobbs can't hold on to a starting job, and after his collapse this season, he may have trouble landing a job as a backup next season.

That's how hard playing quarterback in the NFL is.

When three starting QBs were needed

The Vikings, who have used three starting quarterbacks in a season 12 times in their history, will start a fourth against the Bengals. The team made the playoffs in three of those previous seasons.

Being smart isn't enough. Being large and athletic isn't enough. To succeed as an NFL quarterback, you have to understand what every player on offense is doing or needs to do, and what every player on defense intends to do. You need to memorize a playbook longer than the unabridged scripts of every episode of every version of "Law & Order."

You need to be nimble enough to avoid 280-pound defensive ends who run like Olympic hurdlers, strong enough to gun passes past cornerbacks on the far sideline, and accurate enough to sling an oblong ball through what might as well be a rolling Hula-Hoop while large bodies roll into your ankles.

There's also a catch to the position: If you do all of the above well, you will not receive due credit unless your team wins.

The position has never been more complicated or difficult to play, but if you're Dak Prescott or an efficient passer like Cousins, your production will be disregarded if you can't elevate your franchise.

Vikings defensive coordinator Brian Flores has excelled this season at dominating lesser or inexperienced quarterbacks. That skill will be required Saturday when the Vikings face Bengals backup and former Vikings project Jake Browning.

Asked why the quarterback position is so difficult and demanding, Flores said: "There's a number of reasons. That guy has to be a leader and the face of the franchise. There are expectations that come with that. From a football standpoint, he is required to have a general understanding of the entire offense. Every position. Make sure they're lined up right and in the right position, have to get the cadence right and see the defense so you can get into a good play, or at least a better play."

According to ESPN, no NFL team has ever lost its starter for the season, started three other quarterbacks and made the playoffs. Saturday, Mullens will try to give the Vikings a fourth victory from a fourth starter in a seven-game stretch, something never done before in a non-strike season.

"There's a lot that goes into that position," Flores said. "And there's a toughness aspect to the position, just because you're taking a lot of hits. You have to be mentally tough. It's a difficult position, and we try to make it a little harder, if we can."

- deleted stats

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 12/16/2023 12:08:02 PM >
Post #: 6003
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 11:28:59 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

And you think Kirk cousins is and was the answer?

You and others pining to resign Kirk for three more years…?

You and the ****ing host and horde of KFC stans/morons/ never seen a Vikings Super Bowl or nfccg appearance pretenders, on Reddit, who crucify me for telling these idiots, who think Mullet is our best option to continue a playoff run…

I tell these idiots that after 56 years of watching this franchise and coaches and QB’s and all the pieces and parts of team dynamics….

that this ****ing cluster muck of a team is not making the playoffs...unless they pitch 7 straight shutouts and Greg Joseph can keep his head out of his ass..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 6004
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 11:49:11 AM   
stfrank

The current team has no chance of making a run in the playoffs. Unlike the great teams of the 70's that were making runs, this team just doesn't have the players in the trenches to lead the way.
Post #: 6005
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 11:55:58 AM   
Ricky J

Chill out, Dan!

- not "pining" for any such thing

- he was the answer for this season and if you cant see that you aint half as smart as you think you are - plenty bias, though

- you havent watched any more Viking games than I have

- if they dont make, the playoffs, so what ... wouldnt make it with Flores in the exact situation, either, so you and your "****ing host and horde of" Flo supporters - oh never mind

- hey! stop calling me stans! if I have to come to Omaha and straighten your ass out I will ;)
Post #: 6006
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 12:07:20 PM   
Ricky J

Got some 1 stars floating around today, I see. Funny, how exactly does that article get under someone's skin?
Post #: 6007
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 12:14:27 PM   
Todd M

It was your PRE that hit you the 1st one. Then I got one and figured it was from you so you got another. nothing serious.

PRE = patented Ricky edit.
Post #: 6008
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 12:43:56 PM  1 votes
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

It was your PRE that hit you the 1st one. Then I got one and figured it was from you so you got another. nothing serious.

It was me! ;)

Feels like you and Dan were ganging up on me so I'm fighting back! ;)

- I'm serious, I'll be going through Omaha in early June for another adventure so, I'm gonna make Big D buy me breakfast!

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 12/16/2023 1:42:22 PM >
Post #: 6009
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 3:27:12 PM   
Todd M

KOC doesn’t have the chops to be a HC.

I don’t need to see any more. He’s. shown what he is.
Post #: 6010
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 3:29:03 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

It was me! ;)

Feels like you and Dan were ganging up on me so I'm fighting back! ;)

- I'm serious, I'll be going through Omaha in early June for another adventure so, I'm gonna make Big D buy me breakfast!

It’s all good Ricky..

I’m getting into my full blown “ get off my lawn “ mode..

It’s ore about the idiots on Reddit who are insufferably insulting to me because I won’t drink the KOC/ KFC koolaid..

I’d buy you breakfast any time..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 6011
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 3:30:08 PM   
David F.

quote:

He lost me when he let mullens stay in the game.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6012
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 3:31:40 PM   
Ricky J

That one hurt!
Post #: 6013
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 3:36:14 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

He lost me when he let mullens stay in the game.

And didn’t gain any ground the 2nd half. That’s Kevin for you.

No more nickname.
Post #: 6014
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 4:03:36 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I'm still in shock at those final 2 play calls. I get all the "4th QB" ect stuff but that was unthinkable. To call it back-to-back screams "i'm the smartest person in the stadium". I like KOC and think he has built a good team atmosphere but I am firmly on the "he needs to relinquish play call duty next year" band now.

I was leaning that way before that but sheesh. That was amateur hour
Post #: 6015
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 4:04:21 PM   
Tom Sykes

I just think KOC is too tentative.

He'll be aggressive once in awhile but its trying to catch his opponent off-guard ... not being aggressive for its own sake.

He comes from the 'balance or death' system.

Its bullshit to say Cousins would make much of a difference ... we seem to be managing every game to keep our nose barely ahead of the opponent regardless of the QB.

Yes we might win a few more games with Cousins (than Dobbs Mullens [who knows what Hall is]) ... so what. Barely beat a few more bad teams in close games ... that only gratifies the Cousins worshippers.

The fans that hold the franchise to a higher standard, that want to hear some playoff noise, we're out of luck at this point.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 12/16/2023 4:06:02 PM >
Post #: 6016
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 4:09:30 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

I'm still in shock at those final 2 play calls. I get all the "4th QB" ect stuff but that was unthinkable. To call it back-to-back screams "i'm the smartest person in the stadium". I like KOC and think he has built a good team atmosphere but I am firmly on the "he needs to relinquish play call duty next year" band now.

I was leaning that way before that but sheesh. That was amateur hour

He's only the 4th qb because he was the 4th qb to play this year. Had he been healthy he was the backup. He's also got the most experience in the system and wasn't replaced in the offseason.
Post #: 6017
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 4:21:48 PM   
beo

KOC outcoached today.
Flores outcoached today.

Mullins... not good.

womp wahhhhhhhhhhhhh
Post #: 6018
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 4:27:53 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

KOC outcoached today.
Flores outcoached today.

Mullins... not good.

womp wahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Facts.
Post #: 6019
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 4:39:04 PM   
Todd M

Mullins is not better than Dobbs or Hill but I hear he’s already got the nod.

Season over. 7-10 here we come.
Post #: 6020
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 4:45:07 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

The way Dobbs has looked lately I'm gonna have to disagree. At this point we should put the young guy in. This team isn't making the postseason anyway.
Post #: 6021
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 5:08:59 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

The way Dobbs has looked lately I'm gonna have to disagree. At this point we should put the young guy in. This team isn't making the postseason anyway.

It should absolutely be Hall.

I’m putting Mullens last bc he’s horrible in the pocket and throws an ugly ball.

We’d be rolling into the playoffs if Kevin let Dobbs be Dobbs.
Post #: 6022
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 5:52:14 PM   
Todd M

They are going to beg JJ to stay and give Cousins 3 more years.

Which in a way is fine bc I don’t want Kwesi to pick our heir apparent nor Kevin coaching him.
Post #: 6023
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 6:20:19 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

KOC outcoached today.
Flores outcoached today.

Mullins... not good.

womp wahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well it was just a matter of time before we played someone that figured out how to attack our defense … maybe it was just we couldn’t match up with their WRs … or our CBs didn’t hold up, however you want to say it.

I actually didn’t mind the playcalling for a lot of the first half. Maybe Chandler having some room to run made it seem better than it was.

The calamitous never seen before sack-grounding-int by the sacker put a smell on the first half that lingered well after. Put me down for wanting to see Hall next. It should be a no brainer.
Post #: 6024
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/16/2023 6:27:51 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

KOC outcoached today.
Flores outcoached today.

Mullins... not good.

womp wahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well it was just a matter of time before we played someone that figured out how to attack our defense … maybe it was just we couldn’t match up with their WRs … or our CBs didn’t hold up, however you want to say it.

I actually didn’t mind the playcalling for a lot of the first half. Maybe Chandler having some room to run made it seem better than it was.

The calamitous never seen before sack-grounding-int by the sacker put a smell on the first half that lingered well after. Put me down for wanting to see Hall next. It should be a no brainer.

I wouldn’t even call it a bad matchup with their WE’s. He threw a couple jump balls and Evan’s didn’t play them well.
Post #: 6025
Page:   <<   < prev  239 240 [241] 242 243   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  239 240 [241] 242 243   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode