Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  242 243 [244] 245 246   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2023 3:01:37 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

phil mackey commented on this like it was a fact....

Jeremy Fowler@JFowlerESPN
Quarterback Nick Mullens is expected to make another start for the #Vikings on Sunday vs. the #Lions, per sources.

Mullens passed for 303 yards last week vs. Cincinnati

I'll be shocked if Mullens doesn't start.

Its likely the worst choice among the 3 options, but it feels like the mnost KOC choice.

Agree. It's easier to overlook strategy mistakes when the QB won't stop turning the ball over.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6076
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2023 3:08:52 PM   
Trekgeekscott

Vikings To Start Nick Mullens In Week 16
December 18th, 2023 at 2:57pm CST by Adam La Rose
The Vikings’ playoff prospects took a hit on Saturday, but a quarterback change does not appear to be imminent. Minnesota is expected to stick with Nick Mullens as the starter under center, ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reports. Head coach Kevin O’Connell has since confirmed the news.

Let's see just how ****ed we can get.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 6077
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2023 3:11:59 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

phil mackey commented on this like it was a fact....

Jeremy Fowler@JFowlerESPN
Quarterback Nick Mullens is expected to make another start for the #Vikings on Sunday vs. the #Lions, per sources.

Mullens passed for 303 yards last week vs. Cincinnati

I'll be shocked if Mullens doesn't start.

Its likely the worst choice among the 3 options, but it feels like the mnost KOC choice.

Agree. It's easier to overlook strategy mistakes when the QB won't stop turning the ball over.

nick mullens, aka the coach's fall guy....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 6078
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2023 3:51:31 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Typical spineless decision devoid of any strategy.

Game manager coach.
Post #: 6079
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2023 4:04:17 PM  1 votes
Bill Johanesen

“My faith has guided my life.”
— San Francisco 49ers QB Nick Mullens

Yeah, and you should sit your butt on the upcoming day of rest.
Post #: 6080
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2023 4:37:04 PM   
odin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I know Dobbs has his warts but we had a great story brewing until Kevin forced Dobbs to try and be like Cousins or Mullens. I think we could have sandlotted our way to the Division title if Kevin had played to his strengths. Even if there was no future there it would be a million times better than going out in a whimper like we’re facing.

**** Kevin.

Trying to make Dobbs like KFC was as dumb as when Webb started the playoff game and muskrat forced him to play like Ponder 90% of the game. I think they averaged over 10 yds on read option plays, but ran less than 10 and the traditional plays were disastrous, as even a casual fan could have predicted.

Give up the ego and your stupid system when the sandlot method is indicated for your QB's strengths
Post #: 6081
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2023 4:53:16 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Pardon The Interruption guys blasting the Vikings for going to the QB sneak twice. Wilbon is like, that's why the Lions have no division challengers (having previously dismissed GB and Chi).
Post #: 6082
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2023 5:30:41 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Biggest reason to ditch KOC.

He can’t adapt his playcalling to personnel changes caused by injury,

He keeps trying to make or pound, next man up, into the little round holes in his scheme, rather than reconfiguring his scheme to fit the STRENGTHS, of a different( in thiscase, a non KFC QB, and a non Mattison RB.) set of players..

A lot of us could see that Chandler was quicker, with better vision, but the “ Annoited one”, (Martison) was KOC’s unrelenting, unashamed RB of choice, despite his multiple shortcomings.

KOC lost his mind and Mojo, started to play call “scared”, when he lost his comfy blanket, KFC.

If he goes 0-3 down this stretch, which will mean he coached and lost the last 4 games of the season, I’d seriously consider AT Least, hiring a competent OC to take over playcalling.

Because, imo, he is a gutless, clueless animatronic figure head.

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 12/18/2023 5:34:32 PM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 6083
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/18/2023 7:52:20 PM   
Bill Jandro

The only reason anyone liked O'Connell was because he wasn't Zimmer.

That has worn off quickly.

I'd pass the torch to Flores.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6084
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/19/2023 1:16:21 AM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

Big red flag on Flores in the Denver game. Denver did nothing but throw the ball to their 3rd best running back, over and over, and marched down the field on their game winning drive. Perine had like 5 catches for 50 yards and we did nothing to stop that.

Felt like Payton had that in his backpocket in case he needed a single score. And we had no counter.

And we've seen it a few more times since then. Not the exact same plays, but an ability to drive on us when needed at the end of games.

That said, I think the defense has far overachieved based on their talent level.

I agree with that, and can't even remember the last time i thought that.

I wouldn't like it if we lost Flores, but I wouldn't hand over the HC position to him. It's a moot point though, there is no chance that we fire or demote O'Connell.

I think the Wilf's are perfectly happy with how things are going. You don't need your team to be a winner in order for you to profit.

I think Zygi may be the most disconnected owner of any NFL team. He also may be the poorest NFL billionaire owner. I bet that doesn't sit well with him. I wonder how many players on the roster he could recognize if he bumped into them on the street. His priority is profit. He doesn't appear to have any passion, history or love of the team he owns. That's gross.

Minnesotans were forced to subsidize the billionaire on his can't lose investment. Some were happy to do it. And I'm stupid enough to subsidize him even more. It really sucks when you realize that we love this team more than the owner does. Sadly, I will continue to be what I am, and what I was when I was a child, a Minnesota Vikings fan. It's hard being a Vikings fan.

< Message edited by JT2 -- 12/19/2023 1:20:01 AM >
Post #: 6085
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/19/2023 2:29:16 AM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

Two Hot Takes on Monday!:

O'Connell is afraid of losing his job to Flores. He's seen what Flores does with minimal talent. He sees Flores having a better overall grasp of the game (ex. - Flores telling him to call time out). Meanwhile O'Connell puts up roughly 20 points per game with an offense that has a great O-line and substantial weapons. I honestly believe O'Connell is playing and staying with Mullens because he's afraid. Nevermind the fact that Mullens made a collection of the worst throws I've seen outside of a high school game - he had 300 yards!!! Did you all hear he had 300 yards? OMG!!!!

Kirk Cousins just isn't that into football. I saw a clip of him playing Legos with his kids over the weekend. Nice! I effing LOVE playing Legos with my kids. It's a great family activity. Kirk looked like he was really enjoying it. Then I thought more about the series Quarterback. Kirk never looks like he's having fun playing football. He DOES however, look like he's having fun doing bonfires and reminiscing about the "extreme tenors" in high school choir. I freaking LOVED high school choir! Long story short - I think he's just doing football because he has the talent. I think he'd leave football in a heartbeat if he was presented with a different way to make a living. Does this make him bad person? No. Does it make him the guy you want for your franchise QB? Also no. Also worth mentioning - dude is a great singer!

Cousins spent a lot of time in the Netflix series moaning about being hit. That may have been what was scripted, but he could have said no I'm not going there. Defenders probably couldn't wait to hit him.

I don't know about Legos
or choir clips but in general stay the hell away from the camera.

His team is out there fighting for their playoff life and he doesn't have a care in the world. In a strange way I actually respect that - just don't want that to be our coveted and cherished QB.

Hope like heck the Cousins era is over but focusing on just the two things you bring up I don't see a problem with him enjoying life. It's not like he can do much outside of being involved in meetings or whatever. And he seems to be wound tightly enough as it is.

Or perhaps it's a show. His regimen for that day:

12:45-1:00. Watch videos of dads having fun playing Legos with their kids.
1:00-1:15. Emulate a dad having fun playing Legos with the kids.
1:15-1:30. Wind down after the craziness.

1:30-1:45. Call agent to see if there are any 'first ever' things for next contract.

No joke, best, accurate and funniest football analytics of the 2023 season.

< Message edited by JT2 -- 12/19/2023 2:39:06 AM >
Post #: 6086
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/19/2023 7:00:21 AM   
Todd M

It’s not completely out of the realm of possibilities but starting Hall might give us the cleanest game at QB we’ve had in a while.

Perhaps he just wasn’t showing it in practice like Chandler wasn’t.
Post #: 6087
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/19/2023 7:33:22 AM   
Todd M

If Hall were to just not be careless with the ball that alone would put him ahead of the last 2 guys.

I think Kevin is making a huge mistake. I think we finish with allL’s to close out the season. Even if that’s the same fate we get from Hall it’s still better bc we’ll learn something. Give Hall valuable experience.
Post #: 6088
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/19/2023 8:04:10 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

If Hall were to just not be careless with the ball that alone would put him ahead of the last 2 guys.

I think Kevin is making a huge mistake. I think we finish with allL’s to close out the season. Even if that’s the same fate we get from Hall it’s still better bc we’ll learn something. Give Hall valuable experience.

I couldn't agree more.

Dobbs doesn’t protect the ball at all. He runs with the ball away from his body and doesn’t tuck it when getting tackled. He forgets to cover the ball with his left hand when going through progressions. It's not a mystery why he has 14 fumbles. His throws are erratic, giving dbacks shots at the ball and his receivers.

Mullens is trying to one up Case Keenum when is comes to stupid throws. Getting picked off by man who was sacking him is one of most pathetic things I have ever seen. He throws panic passes, which is not a good quality in a QB.

Mullens is just plain bad. Better play calling by KOC would only make Dobbs less bad, not good. Hall may not be the answer, but these two definitely aren't. The Vikes should use these last 3 games to see what Hall can do.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6089
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/19/2023 8:43:52 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

I couldn't agree more.

Dobbs doesn’t protect the ball at all. He runs with the ball away from his body and doesn’t tuck it when getting tackled. He forgets to cover the ball with his left hand when going through progressions. It's not a mystery why he has 14 fumbles. His throws are erratic, giving dbacks shots at the ball and his receivers.

Mullens is trying to one up Case Keenum when is comes to stupid throws. Getting picked off by man who was sacking him is one of most pathetic things I have ever seen. He throws panic passes, which is not a good quality in a QB.

Mullens is just plain bad. Better play calling by KOC would only make Dobbs less bad, not good. Hall may not be the answer, but these two definitely aren't. The Vikes should use these last 3 games to see what Hall can do.

Totally agree.

We know what Dobbs and Mullens are. We've barely had two drives of Hall. Give Hall the ball and see what you've got. we are far too inconsistant to make a run in the playoffs so why not see what Hall can/Can't do?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 6090
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/19/2023 9:00:49 AM  1 votes
Brad H

I'm a little confused. I thought all you guys thought Mullens was the answer a week ago.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 6091
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/19/2023 9:06:51 AM  1 votes
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

I'm a little confused. I thought all you guys thought Mullens was the answer a week ago.

You must be confusing us with KOC.

Most people here never wanted Mullens to ever even get into a game.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 12/19/2023 10:59:42 AM >
Post #: 6092
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/19/2023 9:20:02 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

You must be confusing us with KOC.

Most people here never wanted Mullens to ever event get into a game.

I was happy to see what he could do - and then ended up pulling my faith in Kevin O'Connell when he wouldn't pull Mullens at halftime. I watched Matt Fries' play-by-play analysis of Mullens and he shows that one of the things Mullens did well was the short-out route which is a timing play. That's great and all but he puts very little zip on the pass. If Matt Fries figured out that this is one of his few strengths we can rest assured the Lions have figured it out as well. They will disguise coverage and a CB will be waiting to jump those. Add in the general state of panic that Mullens is in and the corresponding panic throws and we could very well see five turnovers from him on Sunday. I'd rather try out Hall or go back to Dobbs and tell him to improvise as he sees fit.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6093
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/19/2023 9:36:08 AM  1 votes
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

I don't think I've seen one person say Mullens was the answer.
Post #: 6094
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/19/2023 10:18:21 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

A little confused yes if by little you mean collosogargantuhumungously.
Post #: 6095
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/19/2023 10:59:04 AM   
marty

I never backed Mullens, and said last week my preference was for Hall to start the rest of the way.

I said that KOC probably knows better than I do on it, but maybe he doesn't.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 6096
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/19/2023 11:00:06 AM   
marty

I am assuming Hall wasn't a turnover machine in college, did he have a low number of turnovers in college ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 6097
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/19/2023 11:05:56 AM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

There is a "minimum talent necessary" for QBs to be effective

Kirk has over the minimum, but his brain (and contract) lowers his effectiveness (IMO)

Mullens, not above minimum talent, and brain is not helping

Dobbs, not above minimum talent level (due to accuracy, IMO), and football brain is not helping

Hall, no idea on talent level, nor on brain

hence,

might as well play someone that MIGHT hit the minimum talent level, and MIGHT have a football brain, instead of players the we KNOW do not

JMO

I think Bill's post summed up what is happening not only with the Vikings but around the league. Bad teams are still in the playoff hunt. Coaches are making short term decisions that they hope will get them into the playoffs. I'm sure there is a part of KOC that would like to play Hall, but if Hall falls on his face and fails, then KOC will be blamed for playing the inexperienced rookie when the team was "still in the playoff hunt". It's sort of like a cover your ass decision to start the "veteran" over the "rookie". It's the wrong kind of thinking but I suspect that's what is going on if Mullens get the starts from here on out despite his crappy play.
Post #: 6098
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/19/2023 12:51:49 PM  1 votes
Todd M

Kevin had the chance to be different. But he might as well be 60.

He has wowed a few times with some razzle dazzle and fakes but for the most part it’s ultra conservative and formulaic.

I think the turn around last year was it was just a fresh breath of air for the team to shed Zimmer. Team chemistry was at an all time high and we got lucky as hell. Now that you’re seeing more of Kevin’s fingerprints you see the warts.

I simply don’t want a coach that costs games with conservatism.
Post #: 6099
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/19/2023 1:00:56 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Kevin had the chance to be different. But he might as well be 60.

He has wowed a few times with some razzle dazzle and fakes but for the most part it’s ultra conservative and formulaic.

I think the turn around last year was it was just a fresh breath of air for the team to shed Zimmer. Team chemistry was at an all time high and we got lucky as hell. Now that you’re seeing more of Kevin’s fingerprints you see the warts.

I simply don’t want a coach that costs games with conservatism.

He really started losing me after a great fake punt when he played for a FG.
Post #: 6100
Page:   <<   < prev  242 243 [244] 245 246   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  242 243 [244] 245 246   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode