Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  252 253 [254] 255 256   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 9:01:25 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

I confess I didn’t mind signing Oliver and resigning Mattison as offensive muscle but that was early in the process and I didnt think it would end there … we had to dump Cook and his contract, I thought Hockensen would get more work down the field. I overestimated both signings and I didn’t think we’d completely ignore the OL until, what, week 3 in season (Risner). I didn’t think we would entrench Mattison regardless of production / situation … Akers and Chandler were both under and mis-used.

The QB situation … the people that see it, understand it. The people that don’t want to see it, can’t be reasoned with. Yes the injuries are a get out of jail card for the regime but they are going into their third offseason either starting at square one or worse, going backward if they resign Cousins. The only possible reason for doing that is fear …

fear of failing worse than we already are.Hold on to your butts!

Actually there still is a scenario if Hall gets to prove himself that doesn't involve Kirk. The Vikings are such a QB starved franchise...it isn't something that needs to reasoned; it is their history.

Last 2 1st round QBs drafted.....Ponder and Teddy (we also traded a first for Sam of course). The last 2nd rounder drafted was Tavaris. That is what scares fans. Where did those 4 get us? Add Dante even....where did those 5 highly drafted QBs get us?

Hall showing anything is the proverbial blind nut finding the squirrel.

These people need to put themselves out there and risk success. Not bide their time until something good happens. gzuz.

True...SF, NE, and others have done it.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6326
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 9:16:03 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.
Shoot you edited while I was replying…. What did those five qbs get us? As much or more than Kirk. This, more than anything else, baffles me with Kirk fans/stans. So afraid of… losing out on the same or worse overall results that WE WERE ALREADY GETTING with QBs who are/were perceived to be poor. So, were these QBs actually awesome or is Kirk just ordinary? It’s one or the other.

Draft a QB better than Kirk and I am all in...Ponder, TJack, Teddy, Dante, and Sam were not the answers to who can win you a SB. Did you think they were? Maybe you thought Case could win us a SB?

No. You're off-track on this logic. Re-sign Kirk if you think he can win you a Super Bowl. So far he hasn't delivered better results than Ponder, TJack, Teddy, Daunte, or Sam. Why give away the farm for the exact same or worse results than we got from those other five? If I'm handing out a franchise-level contract to a QB should I not expect better results than I can get from a pile of crap?

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6327
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 9:50:44 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Shoot you edited while I was replying…. What did those five qbs get us? As much or more than Kirk. This, more than anything else, baffles me with Kirk fans/stans. So afraid of… losing out on the same or worse overall results that WE WERE ALREADY GETTING with QBs who are/were perceived to be poor. So, were these QBs actually awesome or is Kirk just ordinary? It’s one or the other.

Draft a QB better than Kirk and I am all in...Ponder, TJack, Teddy, Dante, and Sam were not the answers to who can win you a SB. Did you think they were? Maybe you thought Case could win us a SB?

No. You're off-track on this logic. Re-sign Kirk if you think he can win you a Super Bowl. So far he hasn't delivered better results than Ponder, TJack, Teddy, Daunte, or Sam. Why give away the farm for the exact same or worse results than we got from those other five? If I'm handing out a franchise-level contract to a QB should I not expect better results than I can get from a pile of crap?

What is a franchise level Contract nowadays? Injuries happen to higher paid QBs also that haven't produced either but that is the game.

We aren't the only ones doing it either and giving away the farm is now 50-60 million. Pile of crap--can't win the SB w/o getting into the playoffs....Kirk would have got that done.

Sorry your philosophy on ppg didn't work. No matter who, a top 10 qb---they cost 20-30 million. Your philosophy on what to pay a qb should change with the salary cap and it clearly hasn't. Rookie top 10 QBs aren't cheap either.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 12/27/2023 10:07:51 AM >

Post #: 6328
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 10:19:09 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What is a franchise level Contract nowadays? Injuries happen to higher paid QBs also that haven't produced either but that is the game.

We aren't the only ones doing it either and giving away the farm is now 50-60 million. Pile of crap--can't win the SB w/o getting into the playoffs....Kirk would have got that done.

Sorry your philosophy on ppg didn't work. No matter who, a top 10 qb---they cost 20-30 million. Your philosophy on what to pay a qb should change with the salary cap and it clearly hasn't. Rookie top 10 QBs aren't cheap either.

It literally worked. Three QBs who' s names no one will ever remember in four months scored the same amount of points and won nearly the same amount of games. If whatever noboday they put out there at QB this weekend beats the weak-ass Packers then it will be a perfect 4-4 vs 4-4.

P.S. You realize the Vikings often made the playoffs prior to Saint Kirkus of Mediocritus' arrival right? Heck - sometimes we even made it to NFCCGs.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6329
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 10:20:14 AM   
David F.

Jesus Christ you edit so much that it's hard to reply and have it still make sense.

Post #: 6330
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 10:26:41 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

We have drafted a QB better than Cousins..

His Name is Hall..

And he is better by being way cheaper, way more mobile and quicker to make a throw, and he’s not KFC..

Win, win , win , win…

What’s the worst he can do at this point?

O-2?
How did purple Jesus Kirk start out?

What?

What’s that?

I can’t hear you over that choking sound…

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 6331
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 10:33:23 AM   
David Levine

Its funny (scary?). Mullens might actually run the offense better than Kirk.

He just can't make most of the throws needed...
Post #: 6332
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 10:33:41 AM   
Bill Johanesen

People you block stay blocked until you unblock them. Nothing to do with logging in and out.

Had to go find this. Wrong.

It has everything to do with logging in. Scenario as follows. People are on block (and the thread is humming fine). X out of all tabs, set computer to sleep. Turn on computer. Go to TalkVikes and open a thread. All posts are visible. After logging in, only then does the blocked poster function work.

So it's in that gap between opening a thread and logging in that I inadvertently see the supposedly three blocked posters running around free with their dung trail of posts.

That is what happened, sadly more than once. I'll be logging in immediately to remedy that issue.
Post #: 6333
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 10:40:29 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Just save the cookie when you log in then it keeps you logged in even if you close out or shut down.. how do I know…

Uh.. IT networking experience..

The only time I have to reload in to Talk Vikes is if I clear history, which is something I do weekly, because otherwise my chrome eats battery life llike a cop at a donut shop on bogo day..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 6334
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 10:43:55 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

I confess I didn’t mind signing Oliver and resigning Mattison as offensive muscle but that was early in the process and I didnt think it would end there … we had to dump Cook and his contract, I thought Hockensen would get more work down the field. I overestimated both signings and I didn’t think we’d completely ignore the OL until, what, week 3 in season (Risner). I didn’t think we would entrench Mattison regardless of production / situation … Akers and Chandler were both under and mis-used.

The QB situation … the people that see it, understand it. The people that don’t want to see it, can’t be reasoned with. Yes the injuries are a get out of jail card for the regime but they are going into their third offseason either starting at square one or worse, going backward if they resign Cousins. The only possible reason for doing that is fear …

fear of failing worse than we already are.Hold on to your butts!

Similar. I was good with the Oliver and Mattison signings (and cutting Cook and his cap) as I thought they would provide toughness and the running game would be good to go. Others pointed out the limited cap should have been used elsewhere, which turned out to be the case. Can't recall if Bradbury had been extended, but assumed his deal was contingent on still being on the roster by opening day. It's mind-boggling he's been the starter for so long.
Post #: 6335
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 10:51:16 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I read somewhere that if the Vikings lose their last 2 games, and certain teams win their games, that the Vikings could draft as high as #5.

Is this true ?

I'll answer it this way.

There are 4 teams that can't get to 7 wins, so 5th is as high as we could get. There are 5 teams with less than 7 now who would need to lose. I don't know who's playing who, if 2 of those 5 teams play each other obviously 1 would win and the other would likely finish above us. No idea how tie breakers would work.

Playing Hall and Losing is the optimal result for the Purple.

The five teams would need to win. Anyway, the first tie-breaker (sort of a tie-breaker) is playoff vs non-playoff teams with the same record. They are in two different categories. Then the main traditional type of tie-breaker is opponent strength of schedule (SOS). The weaker it is, the higher you pick. What sucks is our SOS is high. I don't know about the next tie-beaker. Maybe something based on record vs common opponents or something. But the SOS is usually enough to set the draft order.
Post #: 6336
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 11:01:29 AM   
Bill Johanesen

You don’t see that Cousins and his cap cost Is The Problem..

You Fawn and post about his Stats..

Padded stats are always the go-to for KFC fans. They purposely ignore him not being a leader, his failed career record, him going into brain freeze when the pressure is on, plays on 4th down that preserve his stats rather than risk hurting them, etc.

But to compare $30+ million KFC stats to bottom feeder backups as a defense for KFC? That's a new low for scraping the bottom of the barrel.

They (well, Phil) throw out stats yet the W/L and PPG are pretty close!

And we couldn't afford a better backup in large part because freakin' Cousins was taking so much cap. And that's after stashing $28.5 million in void years!
Post #: 6337
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 11:04:27 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

Just save the cookie when you log in then it keeps you logged in even if you close out or shut down.. how do I know…

Uh.. IT networking experience..

The only time I have to reload in to Talk Vikes is if I clear history, which is something I do weekly, because otherwise my chrome eats battery life llike a cop at a donut shop on bogo day..

Thanks.
Post #: 6338
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 11:05:04 AM   
Arlowe84

The defense has been a bit of a roller coaster this year.

I stated early on in the season, that I thought our personnel was bottom tier. In particular the front 7.

Many of the advanced analytics supported this. But I thought Flores, pure scheme would hide a lot of flaws particularly early on. But as teams adjusted and had more film, eventually the lack of talent would catch up.

But I think the opposite happened for a bit, as Flores players better understood the scheme, the defense became stronger slightly past mid season. Perhaps playing some bad offenses helped.

It seems in recent weeks, the defense has finally seen that regression to better match their talent. Injuries haven't helped, but almost all teams battle injuries this time of year. Pace hit the wall hard his last couple games, and he's a prime guy to run right at.

I've always thought Flores has to blitz so much this year because he doesn't have 4 guys who can get after the QB on their own consistently, except Hunter.
In a way it's good, as I could have been fooled into thinking this defense was most set going into next year.

But I'm pretty confident in that now we need some upgrades in the front 7 and better depth going into next year.

The good news is there are not a ton of needs on O.....oh, except a QB, ugrade at C, and an explosive RB (maybe Chandler), and who knows what will happen to Hockensen with this injury.
I'd still like to see a burner as the 3rd WR to really open up some stuff for doubling and trippling Jefferson.
Post #: 6339
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 11:06:22 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It literally worked. Three QBs who' s names no one will ever remember in four months scored the same amount of points and won nearly the same amount of games. If whatever noboday they put out there at QB this weekend beats the weak-ass Packers then it will be a perfect 4-4 vs 4-4.

P.S. You realize the Vikings often made the playoffs prior to Saint Kirkus of Mediocritus' arrival right? Heck - sometimes we even made it to NFCCGs.

Re the bold.... LMAO!

Yeah, 4-4 KFC woulda... too funny.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda! The KFCStan national anthem!

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 12/27/2023 11:12:07 AM >
Post #: 6340
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 11:11:34 AM   
Bill Johanesen

So now Phil has literally used Francis Asbury Tarkenton as added rationale in his history-based reasoning for doing or not doing whatever he has conjured up (whatever it is doesn't matter).

Why stop there? Was Sid Luckman drafted high?

Unbelievable.
Post #: 6341
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 11:17:49 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arlowe84

I stated early on in the season, that I thought our personnel was bottom tier. In particular the front 7.

Many of the advanced analytics supported this. But I thought Flores, pure scheme would hide a lot of flaws particularly early on. But as teams adjusted and had more film, eventually the lack of talent would catch up.

But I think the opposite happened for a bit, as Flores players better understood the scheme, the defense became stronger slightly past mid season. Perhaps playing some bad offenses helped.

It seems in recent weeks, the defense has finally seen that regression to better match their talent. Injuries haven't helped, but almost all teams battle injuries this time of year. Pace hit the wall hard his last couple games, and he's a prime guy to run right at.

I've always thought Flores has to blitz so much this year because he doesn't have 4 guys who can get after the QB on their own consistently, except Hunter.
In a way it's good, as I could have been fooled into thinking this defense was most set going into next year.

But I'm pretty confident in that now we need some upgrades in the front 7 and better depth going into next year.

The good news is there are not a ton of needs on O.....oh, except a QB, ugrade at C, and an explosive RB (maybe Chandler), and who knows what will happen to Hockensen with this injury.
I'd still like to see a burner as the 3rd WR to really open up some stuff for doubling and trippling Jefferson.

That is exactly what occurred with the D. Growing pains - D hits their stride - DCs then have an accurate picture on what's going on - DCs expose the D as smoke and mirrors can't mask the lack of talent.

And it's a good summation of where the D stands, but I submit the upgrades extend to all 3 levels on D.
Post #: 6342
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 11:24:39 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Its funny (scary?). Mullens might actually run the offense better than Kirk.

He just can't make most of the throws needed...

Chris Walsh probably knew the playbook better than Moss but he couldn't run as fast or jump as high.
Post #: 6343
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 11:28:44 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

That is exactly what occurred with the D. Growing pains - D hits their stride - DCs then have an accurate picture on what's going on - DCs expose the D as smoke and mirrors can't mask the lack of talent.

And it's a good summation of where the D stands, but I submit the upgrades extend to all 3 levels on D.

We have 3 guys who are going to be looking for nice to huge contracts(with tight cap). Hunter, Wonnum and Hicks.

If Flores leaves, the defense might take a step back next year.
Post #: 6344
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 11:34:06 AM   
Mark Anderson

Next year should be all about developing QBOTF. Keep Oline and playmakers around and find a better RB.

That might mean skimping on the defense and worrying about that later.
Post #: 6345
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 11:36:04 AM   
marty

I think both sides can agree that Kirk is a good regular season QB (somewhere between 5-12), that will usually have slow starts, and is likely to lose a playoff game.

Kirk at least gives you hope of making the playoffs next year, as a healthy Kirk in KOC's offense will likely lead the team to the playoffs, even with a really bad defense, provided that defense is plays well in the 4th quarter.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 6346
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 11:37:44 AM   
marty

I think both sides can agree that Kirk is a good regular season QB (somewhere between 5-12), that will usually have slow starts, and is likely to lose a playoff game.

Kirk at least gives you hope of making the playoffs next year, as a healthy Kirk in KOC's offense will likely lead the team to the playoffs, even with a really bad defense, provided that defense plays well in the 4th quarter.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 6347
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 11:40:42 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Kirk at least gives you hope of making the playoffs next year, as a healthy Kirk in KOC's offense will likely lead the team to the playoffs, even with a really bad defense, provided that defense is plays well in the 4th quarter.

The bridge QB needs to make about 6-10M per year IMO. Not happening with Cousins.

Like I said. Draft a guy in 1st round and give him every advantage you can. Even if it means letting some defenders go.

This needs to be about a 2-3 year plan of getting to where we want to go.
Post #: 6348
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 12:01:42 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

All three levels and then some!

Plus, let me just call it now ... our first moves of the offseason are going to be resigning Akers and Mundt! (if they aren't extended before the Packers game!)

With the Hockensen timeline in doubt, the next sandbag in our competitive dike rebuild is resigning Muse.

With those tasty nuggets bundled and out of the way ...

then Kwesi can tackle the big offseason question (not literal tackling obviously, he'd snap off at the bare ankles): Cousins -or- A Defense.

Can't wait to see.
Post #: 6349
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/27/2023 12:09:28 PM   
Phil Riewer

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
15m
The #Packers have suspended CB Jaire Alexander for one game for conduct detrimental to the team.

Post #: 6350
Page:   <<   < prev  252 253 [254] 255 256   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  252 253 [254] 255 256   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode