Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  327 328 [329] 330 331   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/29/2024 12:11:38 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young
quote:

quote:

Jordan Love had Erin Rogers in front of him..
We have nothing but trash under contract as of the new league year..

How do you know? There are a couple of QBs we could sign who aren't Kirk. (Minshew, Garropolo, Mayfield are just examples).

At the start of the league year, we currently have
Mullins and Hall.
That’s it..
Those guys are PROVEN trash..
You honestly think that KOC and KAM have any plans?
Other than waste money and cap in a “ deal “ to resign KFC.?
We are probably the only NFL team with such a poor situation at the most important Position on offense.
You are one of the KFC Stan’s.. so you think the position is fine, because you are convinced that the team will cave in, in a panic, and let KFC teabag our organization and cap space for 2-3 more years.
I don’t want that POS, Cousins, to ever throw a competitive pass in a Vikings uniform.
And I’ll get my answer, one way or the other, at 4pm eastern, on march 13, 2024.

Actually if it was me I would see what Baker wants....he impressed me last year but the same thing applies....2/50 and you still grab a qb in the first.
Again....I hope they learned a lesson last year (2 qbs and cutting a player a year early is better than a year too late). I think they learned that they kept Thielen a year too long....Kendricks being cut was about correct.

The cap situation is better than it was in 22 and 23 even though it did go up.

And burn dang near half of the rookie's contract on the bench? Terrible use of resources.

Besides, Mayfield isn't signing somewhere for just two years.

Nonstarter.

The last two that sat...Jordan Love and Mahomes. Makes me want to consider it.

Ah, the Mahomes connection. Don't forget about Brady!

So you burn two years of the rookie QB taken #11 overall (thankfully based on a signing that won't happen), then have that QB go through the somewhat typical growing pains in year three. Now it's year four - with the 5th year option looming - before a team can BEGIN to make a thorough evaluation.

Just skip QB all together and draft another Lewis Cine.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 2/29/2024 12:19:01 PM >
Post #: 8201
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/29/2024 12:17:50 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Reid said in retrospect Mahomes could have started in year 1. Mahomes alluded to it as well.

Invoking ANYTHING to do with Mahomes is disingenuous at best unless one is also saying they absolutely expect (not just hope) the QB in comparison to be in the running for the GOAT. And that would be a flawed expectation.

It's the same thing as the tired "Well, Brady was drafted in the 6th round."
Post #: 8202
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/29/2024 12:21:22 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Reid said in retrospect Mahomes could have started in year 1. Mahomes alluded to it as well.
Invoking ANYTHING to do with Mahomes is disingenuous at best unless one is also saying they absolutely expect (not just hope) the QB in comparison to be in the running for the GOAT. And that would be a flawed expectation.

No matter what...get 2 quality QBs. If the rookie deserves to start so be it. Draft 2 if needed SC, Tulane, WKU, or Tenn QB later also.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 2/29/2024 12:25:08 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 8203
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/29/2024 12:38:51 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

No matter what...get 2 quality QBs. If the rookie deserves to start so be it. Draft 2 if needed SC, Tulane, WKU, or Tenn QB later also.

You aren't signing Mayfield to a 2 year deal. Its going to take 3 or 4 easily.

So then you draft a QB in the 1st and now you have 2 pissed off QBs. Baker, who you signed to be your starter just saw you draft his replacement and the rookie knows he's likely to not see the field for 3 years because you just gave a shit ton of money to the guy ahead of him.

I'm fine signing a "bridge QB" to play only until the rookie is ready - maybe its 1 year, maybe its 1 game. But you can't sign one of the top QB FAs to be your bridge. It won't work.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 2/29/2024 12:40:07 PM >
Post #: 8204
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/29/2024 12:44:05 PM   
Todd M

So, David, you’re confident, like Bill, that Cousins isn’t going to be resigned to be the shittiest “bridge” QB we could have?

Find your voice lest the devil find your ear.

~Todd Mallett
Post #: 8205
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/29/2024 12:44:12 PM   
David Levine

quote:

So you burn two years of the rookie QB taken #11 overall (thankfully based on a signing that won't happen), then have that QB go through the somewhat typical growing pains in year three. Now it's year four - with the 5th year option looming - before a team can BEGIN to make a thorough evaluation.

We just saw the Packers do exactly that. Love went through his growing pains this year instead of last.

Last year was a wasted season that could've been used to advance Love. Maybe they beat the 49ers and go to the Super Bowl this year if he had that extra year of playing time.
Post #: 8206
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/29/2024 12:45:07 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

So, David, you’re confident, like Bill, that Cousins isn’t going to be resigned to be the shittiest “bridge” QB we could have?

I'm not confident about anything with this crew.

But I think if we sign Cousins, we don't draft a QB high. We kick that can down the road because our guys think we can win a Super Bowl...
Post #: 8207
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/29/2024 12:49:10 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

But I think if we sign Cousins, we don't draft a QB high. We kick that can down the road because our guys think we can win a Super Bowl...

You could be right. As much as that would suck.

Maybe I’ve poo poo’d the Russel Wilson idea too much. Pay him dirt cheap and let him try and rebuild his reputation wo any long term commitment.

I just loathe the idea of Cousins in the way of seeing our rookie.

Find your voice lest the devil find your ear.

~Todd Mallett
Post #: 8208
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/29/2024 12:59:18 PM   
David Levine

The thing is the only reason you re-sign Cousins is because you think you have a 2-3 year window to win the Super Bowl. Nothing else makes sense. He's going to want way too much money to be a bridge. He's signing to be the man.

If that's the case, then you draft Jevon Kearse or Chris McAlister instead of Daunte Culpepper. Because you need those picks to shore up your team to try to make your run.

A rookie that isn't going to see the field for 2-3 years makes no sense - especially when you only have 2 years left on your own contract.

Kwesi and KOC are at the point in time where they need to commit to winning a SB or to a rebuild. You can't do both within 2 years.
Post #: 8209
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/29/2024 3:20:46 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I'm with you DL. Either this regime is the sneakiest the league has seen or they are most likely winging it. I hate to find out either way. KAM is overinflating the price of JJ by basically telling his reps "we'll give you what you want. just tell us". Just a dumbass strategy as a GM.

Then you have KOC begging to get KC's back in public which is driving his price tag up. All the while you are holding up signing the best piece of a pretty mediocre (talent wise) D until you sort these issues out. BTW - that position has Andre Carter and...............................?

It just seems to me like these guys don't have a plan that isn't "try to run it back". I hope to God I'm wrong.
Post #: 8210
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/29/2024 3:55:05 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser
I'm with you DL. Either this regime is the sneakiest the league has seen or they are most likely winging it. I hate to find out either way. KAM is overinflating the price of JJ by basically telling his reps "we'll give you what you want. just tell us". Just a dumbass strategy as a GM.
Then you have KOC begging to get KC's back in public which is driving his price tag up. All the while you are holding up signing the best piece of a pretty mediocre (talent wise) D until you sort these issues out. BTW - that position has Andre Carter and...............................?
It just seems to me like these guys don't have a plan that isn't "try to run it back". I hope to God I'm wrong.

I don't think they signed a QB coach to help out Kirk....seems like a sign that they are going younger. Also KOC needs to focus on more HC responsibilities.

Post #: 8211
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/29/2024 4:10:26 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I don't disagree with that but I still believe KOC wants KC's as a 2 year-ish bridge for the new guy. Wouldn't be my preferred route that's for sure.

100% agree on KOC's duties but also think that if he isn't involved in the O side of the draft KAM will pee down his leg again.
Post #: 8212
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/29/2024 7:25:24 PM   
Phil Riewer

Mattison told he will be cut. Saving over 3 million in cap

Post #: 8213
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/29/2024 7:29:07 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

Mattison told he will be cut. Saving over 3 million in cap

good.

baby step.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 2/29/2024 7:30:40 PM >
Post #: 8214
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/29/2024 7:31:17 PM   
Phil Riewer

Apparently Schefter says pre March 15th. Roster bonus day.

From Andrew Kramer:
Turns out over the cap was wrong until it was recently changed to reflect that Mattison had a trigger date on 2.75M gteed. Vikings releasing him before that, and saving that money. Easy call, it'd seem.

So Mark Anderson do you want to chime in on how easily they can clear 60 million in cap.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 2/29/2024 7:36:43 PM >

Post #: 8215
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/29/2024 8:14:11 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

From Andrew Kramer:
Turns out over the cap was wrong until it was recently changed to reflect that Mattison had a trigger date on 2.75M gteed. Vikings releasing him before that, and saving that money. Easy call, it'd seem.

So Mark Anderson do you want to chime in on how easily they can clear 60 million in cap.

It might take void years and dead cap till 2040 but I think we can do it.
Post #: 8216
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/29/2024 8:15:22 PM   
Mark Anderson

Covering all our bases. We are meeting with Caleb Williams.
Post #: 8217
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/29/2024 8:26:15 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

From Andrew Kramer:

Load up the credit card Mark.
Lowry cut probably next.
Maybe the cap is in better shape than it looks on sportrac and over the cap. Who woulda thunk(happens every year)

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 2/29/2024 8:50:28 PM >

Post #: 8218
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/1/2024 2:07:42 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

From Andrew Kramer:

if we added up all the dead cap and void years from every team in the nfl i'd bet it's close to $1billion....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 8219
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/1/2024 2:13:46 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

You could be right. As much as that would suck.

Maybe I’ve poo poo’d the Russel Wilson idea too much. Pay him dirt cheap and let him try and rebuild his reputation wo any long term commitment.

I just loathe the idea of Cousins in the way of seeing our rookie.

if kwesi extends cousins again, it's going to be for a minimum of two years, meaning we probably don't pick a qb in the 1st round...he and o'connell could be fired before they ever get to bring in their own vision of young qb....

they need to draft a qb early to keep there jobs for another 3-4 years....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 8220
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/1/2024 8:28:27 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

From Andrew Kramer:

if we added up all the dead cap and void years from every team in the nfl i'd bet it's close to $1billion....

We are obviously not in great shape with no QB and plenty of holes on defense.

But, we have some cap space to work with and a decent spot in draft to get some things done. So it isn't dire straits.

Can Kwesi get things going in the right direction?
Post #: 8221
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/1/2024 8:30:31 AM   
Phil Riewer

Hmmm:
BREAKING: USC QB Caleb Williams has DECLINED to medical examinations with teams at the Combine and did not sign off on having his medical records shared
with all teams.

Williams is believed to be the first combine invitee ever to decline an examination, per CBS.

Post #: 8222
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/1/2024 8:36:14 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

Hmmm:
BREAKING: USC QB Caleb Williams has DECLINED to medical examinations with teams at the Combine and did not sign off on having his medical records shared
with all teams.

Williams is believed to be the first combine invitee ever to decline an examination, per CBS.

Mfr is gonna drop like a rock..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 8223
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/1/2024 8:40:07 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Hmmm:
with all teams.

I just read that he will do medicals with individual teams he meets with.
Post #: 8224
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/1/2024 8:53:28 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Hmmm:
with all teams.

Mfr is gonna drop like a rock..

LOL agent talked some sense into him....capital D in Diva on this one.

Post #: 8225
Page:   <<   < prev  327 328 [329] 330 331   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  327 328 [329] 330 331   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode