Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  334 335 [336] 337 338   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 9:54:33 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Is Pinkett a nickname for Pickett?

He has thrown some game winners, but has been injured a lot, and throws too many picks. It seems the Steeler fan base is giving up on him, a little quickly, but he hasn't set the world on fire.

I liked Lawrence, and he seemed to regress last year. I liked Richardson, and he can't stay healthy.

That is 3 first rounders there....which one has taken their team to the SB?

No trips to the Super Bowl but I checked them out. The three of them combined have a 1-1 playoff record and have amounted to combined salary cap hits of $37.2 million - for all their combined years. Six seasons totallling $37.2 million and 1-1 in the playoffs.

We paid about $200 million(?) for the same (slightly worse 1-2) results I think.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 8376
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 10:15:22 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

He has thrown some game winners, but has been injured a lot, and throws too many picks. It seems the Steeler fan base is giving up on him, a little quickly, but he hasn't set the world on fire.

I liked Lawrence, and he seemed to regress last year. I liked Richardson, and he can't stay healthy.

No trips to the Super Bowl but I checked them out. The three of them combined have a 1-1 playoff record and have amounted to combined salary cap hits of $37.2 million - for all their combined years. Six seasons totallling $37.2 million and 1-1 in the playoffs.

We paid about $200 million(?) for the same (slightly worse 1-2) results I think.

Do you agree with your tag line? Should the Jags move on from Lawrence instead of a new huge contract?

Did Cincy make a mistake with Burrow?

Josh Allen? Prescott? Hurts?

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 3/7/2024 10:19:02 AM >
Post #: 8377
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 10:17:41 AM   
marty

Going forward, I would take Lawrence and Richardson over Cousins based on potential, Pickett has too many turnovers.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 8378
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 10:30:11 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Do you agree with your tag line? Should the Jags move on from Lawrence instead of a new huge contract?

It wouldn’t be my tagline if I didn’t believe in it. Ideally I’d trade my big ticket qb and get a 1st rounder or better. I realize I’d have to resign him at the five year point and then trade. Perhaps it’s not realistic but I’d try and find a way to do it.

EDIT - I didn’t answer the question. Yes all those teams made mistakes - especially Dallas with Black Kirk Cousins.

< Message edited by David F. -- 3/7/2024 10:34:14 AM >

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 8379
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 10:30:34 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

None of them have won a Super Bowl. They all suck.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 8380
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 10:35:21 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It wouldn’t be my tagline if I didn’t believe in it. Ideally I’d trade my big ticket qb and get a 1st rounder or better. I realize I’d have to resign him at the five year point and then trade. Perhaps it’s not realistic but I’d try and find a way to do it.

How about other positions?

Micah Parsons wants 25-30M per. Trade him or pay him?

Darrisaw??
Post #: 8381
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 10:35:53 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

None of them have won a Super Bowl. They all suck.

I let someone else try and win a Super Bowl with the huge contract while I take my chances on the cheap new ones.

Post #: 8382
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 10:52:00 AM   
Mark C. Johnson

I'll be surprised if Penix lasts until pick 42. Then again, none of us has access to his medical records so that's the wild card with him. If he drops, it most likely will be due to some negative medical news.
Post #: 8383
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 10:59:51 AM   
Mark C. Johnson

He has started a lot of games in college which is a big plus to me. He didn't play well at all against Michigan's defense, but lots of QB's didn't last year. Heck, Caleb Williams was terrible against Notre Dame so I'm sure each of the top QB's had clunker games. For whatever reason, there were a number of Washington games on locally here in the Chicago area so I did get to see him in other games and came away impressed. I am hopeful that starting as many games as he has will translate to success in the NFL.

I like McCarthy also as he appears to be a good leader. I'm concerned about his ceiling in the NFL though. Michigan had such a powerful run game that I wonder how much that factored into his success. But, there is a lot to like about him.
Post #: 8384
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 11:00:25 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Throwing massive backloaded contracts at a few overpriced FAs and Break the Bank types while the rest of the positions are manned by street urchins is no way to build a team regardless of whether the cap surplus is $60 million or $160 million.

Opposing teams attack weaknesses and scheme to neuter better players so the roster requires balance.

Besides, regardless of the contract presented any given FA may simply not want to play in Minnesota for any number of reasons. And they don't all pan out in a new environment.
Post #: 8385
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 11:09:12 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Throwing massive backloaded contracts at a few overpriced FAs and Break the Bank types while the rest of the positions are manned by street urchins is no way to build a team regardless of whether the cap surplus is $60 million or $160 million.

Opposing teams attack weaknesses and scheme to neuter better players so the roster requires balance.

Besides, regardless of the contract presented any given FA may simply not want to play in Minnesota for any number of reasons. And they don't all pan out in a new environment.

I think Sneed is in prime of his career and will make all 3 CB positions better. Even if it costs us a 2nd rounder and a boatload of money.
Post #: 8386
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 11:13:25 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Credit card Kwesi may of course have other plans.
Post #: 8387
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 11:18:36 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

I think Sneed is in prime of his career and will make all 3 CB positions better. Even if it costs us a 2nd rounder and a boatload of money.

If he is all that, he would make the CBs better.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 3/7/2024 11:20:05 AM >
Post #: 8388
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 11:32:56 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

If he is all that, he would make the CBs better.

It would be nice to find that #1 CB in draft but #11 has to go towards QBOTF.
Post #: 8389
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 12:55:13 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

We'll never sustain anything if we're filling holes with FAs (no matter how good) and the odd draft pick here and there.

I'm good with Sneed or any good young player at an important position ... that has to be augmented by some smart savvy FA decisions as well.

Just how many top positional salaries are we going to set? We are already paying out or working on WR, LT, RT, TE.
Post #: 8390
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 1:11:36 PM   
Tom Sykes

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet
3h

The #Jaguars and standout G Ezra Cleveland have agreed to terms on a new 3-year deal worth $28.5M, sources say, with $14.5M guaranteed.

Post #: 8391
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 1:31:02 PM   
David Levine

The Athletic: QB predictions for every NFL team:

Falcons: Kirk Cousins
Atlanta wants Cousins. From Dianna Russini’s combine report: “They believe Cousins is the type of player who moves them from a fringe playoff team to a contender. New Atlanta head coach Raheem Morris and offensive coordinator Zac Robinson both have familiarity with Cousins.” The Falcons have an impatient owner who wants to win now. Their first target will be Cousins, who seems to be recovering well coming off Achilles surgery and would be jumping into an offense with a young, exciting group of weapons (Bijan Robinson, Drake London, Kyle Pitts).

Vikings: Sam Darnold and Zach Wilson
Let’s get wild. If the Vikings lose Cousins, their top target will be Mayfield. But if Mayfield doesn’t hit free agency, Minnesota might try to take a flier on a young option with some upside. Darnold has never been in particularly winning situations as a starter but no one has ever questioned his arm talent. After a year in Kyle Shanahan’s system, he might be ready for another shot at starting — though it’s possible Justin Jefferson (desiring a new contract) would not be thrilled with this arrangement.

In 2021, some with the Jets wanted to keep Darnold and draft Wilson and now the Vikings have the chance to play out that dream. Wilson is on his way out in New York but in the right environment, with the right coaching, he still has the talent to, at worst, be a high-end backup. Minnesota is a good fit.

Rookies:
Bears: Williams
Commanders: Maye
Raiders: Daniels (trade up)
Patriots: Nix
Seahawks: Penix
Giants: McCarthy

https://theathletic.com/5317803/2024/03/07/nfl-starting-quarterback-predictions/?source=targeted_email&campaign=9234110&userId=114953
Post #: 8392
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 1:39:33 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Atlanta wants Cousins. From Dianna Russini’s combine report: “They believe Cousins is the type of player who moves them from a fringe playoff team to a contender. New Atlanta head coach Raheem Morris and offensive coordinator Zac Robinson both have familiarity with Cousins.” The Falcons have an impatient owner who wants to win now. Their first target will be Cousins, who seems to be recovering well coming off Achilles surgery and would be jumping into an offense with a young, exciting group of weapons (Bijan Robinson, Drake London, Kyle Pitts).

Let’s get wild. If the Vikings lose Cousins, their top target will be Mayfield. But if Mayfield doesn’t hit free agency, Minnesota might try to take a flier on a young option with some upside. Darnold has never been in particularly winning situations as a starter but no one has ever questioned his arm talent. After a year in Kyle Shanahan’s system, he might be ready for another shot at starting — though it’s possible Justin Jefferson (desiring a new contract) would not be thrilled with this arrangement.

In 2021, some with the Jets wanted to keep Darnold and draft Wilson and now the Vikings have the chance to play out that dream. Wilson is on his way out in New York but in the right environment, with the right coaching, he still has the talent to, at worst, be a high-end backup. Minnesota is a good fit.

Rookies:

https://theathletic.com/5317803/2024/03/07/nfl-starting-quarterback-predictions/?source=targeted_email&campaign=9234110&userId=114953

That's depressing as hell.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 8393
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 1:51:43 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Rookies:

I think I might just jump on the fire Kwesi bandwagon if this is our QB result for 2024.

Grab a Darnold for sure....but you'd better look at him as a bridge to the rookie you draft with your first pick.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 8394
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 2:03:48 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

We'll never sustain anything if we're filling holes with FAs (no matter how good) and the odd draft pick here and there.

I'm good with Sneed or any good young player at an important position ... that has to be augmented by some smart savvy FA decisions as well.

Just how many top positional salaries are we going to set? We are already paying out or working on WR, LT, RT, TE.

Great point! It kind of encapsulates or summarizes the Vikings cap situation in a sentence or two.

And that's why we won't be signing any FA of substance.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 3/7/2024 2:26:24 PM >
Post #: 8395
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 2:14:14 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet
3h

The #Jaguars and standout G Ezra Cleveland have agreed to terms on a new 3-year deal worth $28.5M, sources say, with $14.5M guaranteed.

So w/o playing a snap, he's averaging $5 million per. He'll probably be getting at least $6-7 million per for the first two years.

We however won't be settling for average/mediocre/run-of-the-will cause we will have loads of cap.
Post #: 8396
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 2:21:47 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Rookies:

That's depressing as hell.

Post #: 8397
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 2:24:22 PM   
kevinemmer

Both Darnold and Wilson are TO Machines!!!
Good for a high 2025 Pick only.
OOOPH-TAAAAA
Post #: 8398
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 3:17:30 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

The only one of those that I'd move on from is Prescott. He's overrated and for whatever reason the Cowboys implode in the playoffs.
Post #: 8399
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/7/2024 3:22:41 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

Parsons is arguably the best defensive player in football and Darrisaw one of the top left tackles. They will help establish the market. Bottom line is if you want a top 5 player at their position, it's going to cost the team. A team can't win without top talent, but they do need to carefully identify those players who are "worth" the investment versus those that don't merit the big investment. But, it's not a science so teams have and will make mistakes and invest in the wrong player(s).
Post #: 8400
Page:   <<   < prev  334 335 [336] 337 338   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  334 335 [336] 337 338   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode