Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/6/2023 1:40:00 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Mats Zucarello is in a video essentially crediting Hynes' tweaks as the reason they've been playing much better. I hope he's right because it means the run of wins is not a fluke, but rather good playing by a team that has made some adaptations.

That would be so sweet to see sustained progress by this bunch.
Deano was obviously not the answer.

As Jeff said before, winning the first game under a new coach is pretty common. Emotions are high and teams play with a lot of intensity. When it continues through 4 games, it's a change in direction.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 251
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/6/2023 3:27:49 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Mats Zucarello is in a video essentially crediting Hynes' tweaks as the reason they've been playing much better. I hope he's right because it means the run of wins is not a fluke, but rather good playing by a team that has made some adaptations.

That would be so sweet to see sustained progress by this bunch.
Deano was obviously not the answer.

As Jeff said before, winning the first game under a new coach is pretty common. Emotions are high and teams play with a lot of intensity. When it continues through 4 games, it's a change in direction.

This is pretty much the same group that put together 2 seasons over 100 points, so it's really not that surprising to see them go on a run. The thing I like is they are playing faster under Hynes and carrying the puck thru center ice instead of the constant dump and chase. So far I like the change.
Post #: 252
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/8/2023 7:54:58 AM   
TJSweens

The winning streak ends. The Wild just couldn't cash in on early momentum and lost 2-0.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 253
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/8/2023 9:37:56 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeap. When we didn't cash in in the first 10 minutes it was only a matter of time. Dominating like that and getting nothing gets in your head. Then Gus let a pretty tame shot in and it was over.
Post #: 254
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/8/2023 12:00:23 PM   
stfrank

I watched the 1st period and knew we were done after they scored to take the lead with a few minutes left after we completely dominated but couldn't score. Reminds me of the old days and the Miko led teams, they could dominate play for long stretches and lose due to no finish.....
Post #: 255
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/8/2023 1:30:47 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeap. Eerily similar.
Post #: 256
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/8/2023 9:05:51 PM   
stfrank

Wow, 3 goals in the first minute and a half to start the 2nd period.....2 for us 1 for the Oilers...tied for now at 2.
Post #: 257
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/9/2023 7:46:23 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

Wow, 3 goals in the first minute and a half to start the 2nd period.....2 for us 1 for the Oilers...tied for now at 2.

Wind up losing 4-3. Tie game when Evander Kanes injurs Brodin with a dirty hit. No call. Hartman rams Kane, penalty, oilers score the winner on the power play.

No word on Brodin's injury.

Post #: 258
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/9/2023 8:50:59 AM   
stfrank

quote:

quote:

Wind up losing 4-3. Tie game when Evander Kanes injurs Brodin with a dirty hit. No call. Hartman rams Kane, penalty, oilers score the winner on the power play.

I swear the piss poor officiating in the NHL is what keeps the league as an afterthought for most sports fans......
Post #: 259
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/9/2023 9:05:24 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I swear the piss poor officiating in the NHL is what keeps the league as an afterthought for most sports fans......

That's one of the reasons I can't watch many NFL games anymore. I know they're human, but NFL officials really seem to show a bias for some teams/players.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 260
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/10/2023 8:40:15 AM   
TJSweens

Word is Brodin will be out quite a while from Kane's dirty hit that apparently wasn't a penalty.

Post #: 261
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/10/2023 2:43:05 PM   
stfrank

quote:

Word is Brodin will be out quite a while from Kane's dirty hit that apparently wasn't a penalty.

Yeah, week to week is never a good sign. It doesn't help that the NHL continually promotes goons from the past as the head of player safety.
Post #: 262
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/14/2023 5:30:48 PM   
Phil Riewer

Michael Russo
@RussoHockey
·
7h
No Brodin, no Spurgeon, no bueno
Joe Smith
@JoeSmithNHL
·
7h
With two defensemen called up, sure seems like Jared Spurgeon could be out tonight for #mnwild. Spurgeon missed yesterday’s practice due to maintenance, with John Hynes hoping he’d go.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 263
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/14/2023 5:55:36 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Yeah, week to week is never a good sign. It doesn't help that the NHL continually promotes goons from the past as the head of player safety.

Brodin is now multiple weeks and on long term disabled list.

Post #: 264
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/14/2023 8:51:12 PM   
stfrank

quote:

quote:

quote:

Brodin is now multiple weeks and on long term disabled list.

Had to put him LTIR just to be able to call up some help on D. Guerin really made a mess and now it sounds like he is verbally taking it out on others in the organization.....
Post #: 265
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/14/2023 8:54:14 PM   
stfrank

ST. PAUL, Minn. — Bill Guerin, the Minnesota Wild’s president of hockey operations and general manager, has been the focus of an investigation following a human resources complaint by an employee who alleged verbal abuse in the workplace, five team and league sources have confirmed to The Athletic.

The alleged incident that led to the investigation occurred in late November and was reported to the team’s HR department, which commissioned an outside law firm to investigate. Two attorneys traveled to St. Paul and interviewed more than 15 members of the organization.

Two team sources indicated that the investigation into Guerin’s alleged behavior was complete and the findings were delivered to upper management and ownership early this week. Wild management determined that Guerin had not committed a fireable offense, team sources said Wednesday.

While the investigation was proceeding, Guerin did not attend the NHL’s Board of Governors meeting in Seattle nor the Wild’s four-game road trip to western Canada and Seattle. That was odd considering it was new coach John Hynes’ first long road trip with the Wild.

Guerin didn’t reply to a text message seeking comment late Thursday afternoon.

The Wild declined to discuss details of the investigations but said in a statement to The Athletic: “The Minnesota Wild takes its code of conduct seriously. We recently concluded two separate investigations into alleged violations of that code of conduct, and have taken appropriate steps to address the matters raised to our attention. The club will not comment further.”

News of the investigation into Guerin comes a day after the Wild confirmed to The Athletic that they had “mutually agreed to part ways” with assistant general manager Chris O’Hearn following a separate probe. Team sources indicated that it was coincidental that the two investigations concluded almost simultaneously.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told The Athletic that he and commissioner Gary Bettman have been briefed on the investigations and are satisfied with the resolutions.

The employee who filed the complaint, according to team sources, is Andrew Heydt, the Wild’s director of team operations and player relations. Heydt has been in that position for 10 years and oversees team travel, logistics, and player and alumni relations.

Heydt has been absent from work the past couple of days after traveling with the team on its most recent road trip. In his role, Heydt interacts with Guerin on an almost daily basis.

He is also typically a fixture at morning skates but was not in the building for Thursday’s, and neither was Guerin. Captain Jared Spurgeon, who is day to day with a lower-body injury, wasn’t there, either. By the time the media was allowed into the near-empty dressing room, only defenseman Alex Goligoski and recent call-up Dakota Mermis were made available, with members of the team’s PR staff close to their side.

Mat Sells, the Wild’s vice president of hockey strategy and analytics expert, was the only front-office liaison on site at Thursday’s skate.

Guerin sat in his normal booth in the press box during Thursday’s game.

— The Athletic’s Joe Smith contributed to this report.
Post #: 266
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/14/2023 8:56:00 PM   
stfrank

Wild and Flames tied 1-1 after 2.....need a win here.
Post #: 267
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/14/2023 10:01:38 PM   
stfrank

3-2 SO win for the good guys. I tuned in at the end of the 2nd and it was a pretty fun game to watch from there on out.
Post #: 268
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/15/2023 8:00:50 AM   
TJSweens

Some observations:

Boldy is absolutely back. He is back to playing great at all three levels and scoring a lot of goals.

Rossi continues to look like a completely different player. He is playing with a lot more energy and a ton of confidence. I still wonder if some of his previous lackluster play was after affects of covid and the enlarged heart that covid caused.

Faber was officially our #1 defenseman last night. He played over 30 minutes and 3 or 5 minutes in OT. He looks good in the role.

Kaprizov is still off. Someone here said before that he hasn't been the same player since his injury last year and I think he's right. Even if you agree with Jeff that he is a bit overrated in the first place, there has been a noticeable dropoff in his play.

Mermis had some Dumba moments last night. Especially on Calgary's PP goal. He got caught up watching the puck and ignored his defensive assignment. The goal score slid in behind him and had time to eat a sandwich before Mermis got over to cover.

Maroon looks like a big oaf. He picked up one penalty whacking the goalie across the helmet on a scramble in front of the net and followed with another whack at his glove. Calgary scored on the PP. Then he threw a blatantly cheap, late hit on his next shift and went right back in the box.

Post #: 269
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/15/2023 9:54:00 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Not sure what to think about Faber. Kid should not be asked to have that much responsibility but he performed really well. It’s not fair to him but it might help his overall growth. I just hope he doesn’t get overwhelmed.
Post #: 270
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/15/2023 9:56:46 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Agree on Boldy and Rossi. So glad I was wrong on Rossi. I had all but written him off.
Post #: 271
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/15/2023 10:49:53 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Not sure what to think about Faber. Kid should not be asked to have that much responsibility but he performed really well. It’s not fair to him but it might help his overall growth. I just hope he doesn’t get overwhelmed.

He plays like moments aren't too big for him, so far. I agree that they are putting a lot on him. Last night, he played the opening shift of OT and was right back out for the 3rd shift.

Post #: 272
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/15/2023 10:56:23 AM   
TJSweens

One thing Hynes has done that I like is getting all of his top 6 forwards in the top 6. Ek between Boldy and Kaprizov is a legit #1 unit. Rossi and Zuccarello work well together. Hopefully they can find a way to upgrade Johannsen on that line.

No more Ekker centering a 3rd line.

Post #: 273
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/15/2023 12:14:44 PM   
stfrank

We really have a top 4 and after that there is everybody else. On most other teams Zuccarello and Johannsen are 3rd line players, but on our roster they have to play up. I sometimes cringe when I hear about our depth when the reality is our depth is in our bottom 6. I'm glad Hynes has split up Zucc and Kirill and made them play more north/south hockey instead of dipsy doodle east/west hockey.
Post #: 274
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 12/15/2023 1:08:54 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

On most other teams Zuccarello and Johannsen are 3rd line players

I think Zucc is a top 6 on most teams. He’s about a point a game player over the last 3 years. Rossi is on the road to being a top 6. Johanesen is definitely a 3rd line player. He has no real offensive skills, but he is a great skater and has a high IQ, which lets him slot up when there is nobody else available.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 12/15/2023 1:11:01 PM >

Post #: 275
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode