Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 8:27:05 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Towns did give us more and we won Game&!!!!

Towns had a very Jekyl and Hyde game. He played good defense on Joker. That's strange to say, give that Joker scored 35. You'll never shut him down, but you can force him to miss some extra shots over the course of the game. Jokic was 13 for 28 and Towns was a big part of that. Towns also hit some big shots in big moments. There was also...as always...the absolute dumb ass fouls. Defensive fouls well away from the basket and offensive fouls. It's like he just can't help himself.

It doesn't help that the refs call phantom fouls on him, like the one late in the game where they didn't call anything until after Jokic's shot hit the ground. How is that a foul when Jokic is allowed to just push and shove his way down low damn near every possession? I really do not understand how Jokic is allowed to do that.

< Message edited by twinsfan -- 5/20/2024 8:31:27 AM >

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 651
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 8:33:58 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

This game was like the series as a whole.

This is the only game where a team came back from double digits to win though right?

When Wolves got down by 10+ I thought it was over...

When it got to down 20, I thought they were going to do to us what we did to them in game 6. This is why I say the game was like a microcosm of the series. You think it's going one way and it changes. The Wolves got off to a good start and Denver abruptly goes on a run. The Wolves whittle it down, Denver goes on another. The Wolves are on the brink of elimination and they come roaring back. That game was a fitting end to the series.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 652
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 8:58:56 AM   
David Levine

DENVER -- The Minnesota Timberwolves' historic 20-point comeback over the Denver Nuggets in Sunday's Game 7 to earn a trip to the Western Conference finals actually started 13 months ago at bar a few miles away from Ball Arena.

The Timberwolves had just lost to the Nuggets in the first round of the playoffs in April 2023, with Anthony Edwards' potential game-tying 3 coming up empty as time expired in Game 5. Afterward, Edwards and a couple of teammates went to a cocktail lounge, Forget Me Not, in the Cherry Creek neighborhood, with their chartered flight back home not scheduled to leave until the next morning.

Of all of the gin joints in all of the towns in all of the world, Denver point guard Jamal Murray -- fresh off a 35-point showing in the closeout game -- just so happened to walk into the same bar as the Timberwolves.

And Edwards, a budding star yet to have the breakout postseason that has turned him into a bona fide superstar this spring, had a message to deliver to Murray.

"He was talking s---," Edwards told ESPN as he walked down the ramp toward the team bus after his club's 98-90 victory on Sunday. "He was telling Mike [Conley], 'I'm sick of you, you can't guard me,' and all that.

"I told him, 'We'll be back. You'll see us again when we're fully loaded.'"

Edwards' declaration came to fruition Sunday.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40183232/wolves-storm-back-knock-defending-champ-nuggets-game-7
Post #: 653
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 9:11:52 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

DENVER -- The Minnesota Timberwolves' historic 20-point comeback over the Denver Nuggets in Sunday's Game 7 to earn a trip to the Western Conference finals actually started 13 months ago at bar a few miles away from Ball Arena.

The Timberwolves had just lost to the Nuggets in the first round of the playoffs in April 2023, with Anthony Edwards' potential game-tying 3 coming up empty as time expired in Game 5. Afterward, Edwards and a couple of teammates went to a cocktail lounge, Forget Me Not, in the Cherry Creek neighborhood, with their chartered flight back home not scheduled to leave until the next morning.

Of all of the gin joints in all of the towns in all of the world, Denver point guard Jamal Murray -- fresh off a 35-point showing in the closeout game -- just so happened to walk into the same bar as the Timberwolves.

And Edwards, a budding star yet to have the breakout postseason that has turned him into a bona fide superstar this spring, had a message to deliver to Murray.

"He was talking s---," Edwards told ESPN as he walked down the ramp toward the team bus after his club's 98-90 victory on Sunday. "He was telling Mike [Conley], 'I'm sick of you, you can't guard me,' and all that.

"I told him, 'We'll be back. You'll see us again when we're fully loaded.'"

Edwards' declaration came to fruition Sunday.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40183232/wolves-storm-back-knock-defending-champ-nuggets-game-7

Interesting. I hadn’t seen that. I’ve always been impressed with Murray as a player and wished we’d have drafted him back then when we passed him over.

But he’s revealed himself to be a bit of a spoiled brat punk.
Post #: 654
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 9:12:28 AM   
wrh

quote:

quote:

Towns had a very Jekyl and Hyde game. He played good defense on Joker. That's strange to say, give that Joker scored 35. You'll never shut him down, but you can force him to miss some extra shots over the course of the game. Jokic was 13 for 28 and Towns was a big part of that. Towns also hit some big shots in big moments. There was also...as always...the absolute dumb ass fouls. Defensive fouls well away from the basket and offensive fouls. It's like he just can't help himself.

I agree he had at least one offensive and one defensive foul which were bad judgements, that said, I think he made some critical rebounds during the game, which we really needed.

With such a great TEAM effort I don't want to nit-pick too much, but speaking of dumb fouls, Gobert's, wasn't it 3 in rapid succession towards the end of the fourth qt, to foul out, has to be mentioned.

Last thought, like what Ant said, when Gobert hit that turn around jumper (has to be just about the longest shot he made all season) it was a pretty good sign that the Wolves were living right!
Post #: 655
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 9:47:47 AM   
TJSweens

In the post game presser, a reporter talked about the idea that you had to suffer the big loss before you can have the big win and the Wolves hadn't suffered the big loss yet. KAT and Ant's reply was great.

KAT: We lost last year.
Ant: We lost 2 the last ears in a row
KAT: We've been losing for the last 20 years. God damn, how much losing do we gotta do?

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 656
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 10:25:25 AM   
DavidAOlson

Not sure whether anyone cares, but in addition to the usual highlights, YouTube has a couple extended "uncut" sections of last night's game.

About halfway through the massive run: from 7:21 in the 3rd (down 47-59) until the quarter ends.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcofBRiZaYA (about 12 minutes)

Final five minutes: 85-50 Minnesota ahead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3npbYdU5r8 (about 10 minutes)

I still can't believe they were down 38-58 and won 98-90.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 657
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 10:26:21 AM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

In the post game presser, a reporter talked about the idea that you had to suffer the big loss before you can have the big win and the Wolves hadn't suffered the big loss yet. KAT and Ant's reply was great.

KAT: We've been losing for the last 20 years. God damn, how much losing do we gotta do?

The could've added, "And games 3, 4, 5 weren't enough for you?"

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 658
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 10:41:42 AM  1 votes
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

It doesn't help that the refs call phantom fouls on him, like the one late in the game where they didn't call anything until after Jokic's shot hit the ground. How is that a foul when Jokic is allowed to just push and shove his way down low damn near every possession? I really do not understand how Jokic is allowed to do that.

The last 2 fouls on Rudy we're lame as well

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 659
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 11:29:34 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: wrh

quote:

quote:

I agree he had at least one offensive and one defensive foul which were bad judgements, that said, I think he made some critical rebounds during the game, which we really needed.

With such a great TEAM effort I don't want to nit-pick too much, but speaking of dumb fouls, Gobert's, wasn't it 3 in rapid succession towards the end of the fourth qt, to foul out, has to be mentioned.

Last thought, like what Ant said, when Gobert hit that turn around jumper (has to be just about the longest shot he made all season) it was a pretty good sign that the Wolves were living right!

There could be fouls called on each side if they wanted too....Jokic only having 1 foul late in the third....uugh

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 660
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 11:32:45 AM   
marty

Rudy and KAT seem like they're not always clutch, and Rudy doing the money sign in a previous game seemed foolish.

Edwards seems to have the heart of a champion, and I feel he is pushing KAT and Rudy to play better, to man up and not foul so much.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 661
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 11:35:18 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

quote:

The could've added, "And games 3, 4, 5 weren't enough for you?"

Those 2 together for any postgame are very good.

Post #: 662
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 11:36:57 AM   
marty

Jokic is a good man, but Murray and Braun seem like real punks, was glad to see them lose.

Murray is a punk, but can be a very accurate shooter when he gets hot. Thankfully ANT shut him down pretty much from the 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter on to the end of the game.

ANT credited his shutting down of Murray as being the reason the T-Wolves won, but I thought he should have worded it, that it was PART of the reason they beat the Nuggets, and the play of Edwards teammates also played a big part.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 663
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 11:41:48 AM   
Phil Riewer

Jaden the X Factor along with Naz (nice to have them which we didn't last year due to injuries)

Jaden McDaniels stats in the 2 elimination games:

22.7 PPG
4.7 RPG
1.3 BPG
1.0 SPG
0 TOV
79 FG%
73 3P%

Post #: 664
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 11:47:40 AM   
Phil Riewer

Nikola Jokic when guarded by Karl Anthony-Towns in round 2:

59 PTS
24-55 FGM (43.6 FG%)
4-21 3PM (19.0 3P%)

Post #: 665
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 11:53:04 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Can't help but feeling happy for Mike Conley right now. He must be savoring this. In his long distinguished career he's only reached the conference finals once, and they were swept.

He was clutch in the 4th quarter, calmly nailing a dagger 3 with the shot clock running out to put Wolves up 75-72. They did not relinquish the lead after that. Then making a sneaky veteran steal at mid-court feeding Naz who fed Ant for the wide open fast break 3 to give them a 10 point lead with 3 minutes to play. Timeout Denver, game not yet over but fat lady starts warming up backstage.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 5/20/2024 12:09:57 PM >
Post #: 666
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 12:26:27 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

So damn funny!
The expressions on those 2 were priceless,
having some kinda fun now!
Post #: 667
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 12:28:34 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

An appropriately humorous dismissal of a dumb question.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 5/20/2024 12:39:13 PM >
Post #: 668
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 12:33:33 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

Can't help but feeling happy for Mike Conley right now. He must be savoring this. In his long distinguished career he's only reached the conference finals once, and they were swept.

He was clutch in the 4th quarter, calmly nailing a dagger 3 with the shot clock running out to put Wolves up 75-72. They did not relinquish the lead after that. Then making a sneaky veteran steal at mid-court feeding Naz who fed Ant for the wide open fast break 3 to give them a 10 point lead with 3 minutes to play. Timeout Denver, game not yet over but fat lady starts warming up backstage.

That was huge!
Also the fade away rainbow by Rudy and his free throws down the stretch,
every time he went to the line, I was praying he wouldn't clank them.
Post #: 669
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 12:39:12 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Jokic is a good man, but Murray and Braun seem like real punks, was glad to see them lose.

Murray is a punk, but can be a very accurate shooter when he gets hot. Thankfully ANT shut him down pretty much from the 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter on to the end of the game.

ANT credited his shutting down of Murray as being the reason the T-Wolves won, but I thought he should have worded it, that it was PART of the reason they beat the Nuggets, and the play of Edwards teammates also played a big part.

It was an off the cuff response to a question. Watch the rest of him postgame. When they interviewed him after the buzzer, all the credit was to his teammates. He flat out said McDaniels was the MVP of the game.

He's the only superstar in the game that never does solo pressers after the game. He always has a teammate with him and he deflects the praise to whoever he's with.

He clearly has a huge ego and considers himself to the best player, but I've never seen a superstar that focuses so hard on raising up his teammates. Its the one area where he's the polar opposite of Jordan.
Post #: 670
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 12:42:17 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

It was an off the cuff response to a question. Watch the rest of him postgame. When they interviewed him after the buzzer, all the credit was to his teammates. He flat out said McDaniels was the MVP of the game.

He's the only superstar in the game that never does solo pressers after the game. He always has a teammate with him and he deflects the praise to whoever he's with.

He clearly has a huge ego and considers himself to the best player, but I've never seen a superstar that focuses so hard on raising up his teammates. Its the one area where he's the polar opposite of Jordan.

The KAT / ANT postgame pressers are becoming great entertainment.
Post #: 671
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 12:43:32 PM   
David Levine

Murray's true colors come out when things aren't going well. Porter is a trash human being from an even worse family, but I could never hate Jokic. Yeah, he gets away with murder on the court, but he's as real of a human being as there is in the NBA. He's self-aware and very thoughtful.

quote:

The Denver Nuggets were a popular pick to repeat as champion, but they were ultimately eliminated in the second round by a Minnesota Timberwolves team with the requisite size and defense to slow down three-time MVP Nikola Jokic.

While Anthony Edwards Karl-Anthony Towns, Jaden McDaniels and Naz Reid were in place before the arrival of Tim Connelly, the former Nuggets' executive traded for both Rudy Gobert and Mike Conley with the roster being particularly well suited to play against Denver.

"I mean, I think they're built to beat us," Jokic said. "Just look at their roster. They have basically two All-Stars, two probably first-team defensive players. Mike Conley is the most underrated player in the NBA, probably.

"From the bench, they have a Sixth Man of the Year. ... [They are] one team that they can do literally everything. They can be big, small."

Post #: 672
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 12:45:16 PM   
Pauldiercks1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

The KAT / ANT postgame pressers are becoming great entertainment.

David,
I saw the article on Murray saying he was sick of Connely but I heard it was in a club after the game and Murray approached the players from the team that were there? Not that it matters much just curious if you had seen that anywhere?
Post #: 673
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 4:40:04 PM   
Steve Lentz

Saw that the Wolves overcame the largest deficit in Game 7 ever at halftime in NBA post season history. The record had previously been 11points. Pretty cool especially considering it was on the road against the defending Champs!

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 674
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 5/20/2024 4:43:03 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Saw that the Wolves overcame the largest deficit in Game 7 ever at halftime in NBA post season history. The record had previously been 11points. Pretty cool especially considering it was on the road against the defending Champs!

11 point leads aren't what they used to be.

< Message edited by twinsfan -- 5/20/2024 7:36:06 PM >

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 675
Page:   <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode