Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins off-season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins off-season - 1/2/2024 8:25:21 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

You also have to look at postseasons.

Molitor and Winfield both played in two WS - each winning one.

Mauer has 11 hits in 10 postseason games.

Puckett isn't in the Hall without his WS wins.

You are gonna discount Mauer because of 10 postseason games? That's stupid.

No, because his career numbers combined with a lack of playoff success don't amount to a HOF career.

Wanna bet?

Nope. He may be Inducted, but that doesn't mean he actually deserves it. The voters have a long history of selecting undeserving players like Bill Mazeroski, Luis Apparicio and Rabbit Maranville. The HOF has become the Hall of You Really Don’t Have to be All That Special.

If you feel that strongly about it, put up a pole barn in the backyard and call it "The Hall of Ballplayers approved by the Bastard" or something similar. You can charge admission to everyone who cares about your choices.

Aren't there more important things to concern yourself with?

Matt brought up the topic and we're debating it. Last time I checked, this is still a baseball forum.

So you focused on the least important part of my statement and ignored the lead...

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 251
RE: Twins off-season - 1/2/2024 8:48:06 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, because his career numbers combined with a lack of playoff success don't amount to a HOF career.

Wanna bet?

Nope. He may be Inducted, but that doesn't mean he actually deserves it. The voters have a long history of selecting undeserving players like Bill Mazeroski, Luis Apparicio and Rabbit Maranville. The HOF has become the Hall of You Really Don’t Have to be All That Special.

If you feel that strongly about it, put up a pole barn in the backyard and call it "The Hall of Ballplayers approved by the Bastard" or something similar. You can charge admission to everyone who cares about your choices.

Matt brought up the topic and we're debating it. Last time I checked, this is still a baseball forum.

So you focused on the least important part of my statement and ignored the lead...

Was any of it important?

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 252
RE: Twins off-season - 1/2/2024 8:04:23 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wanna bet?

Was any of it important?

The fact that your are a BASTARD is important, or at least it used to be.

--twinsfan
Post #: 253
RE: Twins off-season - 1/3/2024 7:12:06 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wanna bet?

Was any of it important?

The fact that your are a BASTARD is important, or at least it used to be.

A title the late Todd Gray bestowed upon me and I wear it with honor. There are few people I miss as much in this forum.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 254
RE: Twins off-season - 1/3/2024 10:38:00 AM   
Trekgeekscott

I am wondering if we'll do anything with this offseason at all besides ridding ourselves of Pagan, Gray, Maeda etc and adding one bullpen arm.

Boy, things sure are encouraging right now....

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 255
RE: Twins off-season - 1/3/2024 10:50:10 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

I am wondering if we'll do anything with this offseason at all besides ridding ourselves of Pagan, Gray, Maeda etc and adding one bullpen arm.

Yes. We'll shed Polanco's, Kepler's and Vasquez's salaries.

Post #: 256
RE: Twins off-season - 1/3/2024 12:03:51 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

That would be smart if we can get anything of value for them.

--twinsfan
Post #: 257
RE: Twins off-season - 1/3/2024 12:41:10 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

That would be smart if we can get anything of value for them.

They're not interested in getting value. They want to get rid of their contracts. The Twins biggest issue in the off-season is the Bally deal. They will make a lot less off Bally after the bankruptcy and they are chopping payroll in response.

Post #: 258
RE: Twins off-season - 1/3/2024 3:17:04 PM   
Mister Ed

quote:

The Twins biggest issue in the off-season is the Bally deal. They will make a lot less off Bally after the bankruptcy and they are chopping payroll in response.

Given the length of time since this all started, you'd think Plan B would have been in place.

Did they just think someone was swooping in to save them? Seems short-sighted.

What was old is new again
Post #: 259
RE: Twins off-season - 1/3/2024 4:32:54 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed
quote:

The Twins biggest issue in the off-season is the Bally deal. They will make a lot less off Bally after the bankruptcy and they are chopping payroll in response.

Given the length of time since this all started, you'd think Plan B would have been in place.

Why did they basically call a presser as soon as the season was over.....it would be something you think they wouldn't want to talk publicly about.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 260
RE: Twins off-season - 1/3/2024 5:41:23 PM   
MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Why did they basically call a presser as soon as the season was over.....it would be something you think they wouldn't want to talk publicly about.

because they're idiots

Seth Meyer's special on the debate.
Seth: "At the start of the debate, Kamala walked up to Trump and grabbed his hand....cause she's a star"
Post #: 261
RE: Twins off-season - 1/3/2024 9:09:11 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

quote:

quote:

quote:

because they're idiots

True, but from a wider perspective aren't we really the idiots?

--twinsfan
Post #: 262
RE: Twins off-season - 1/4/2024 7:24:10 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

The problem is that chopping payroll is always plan A.

Post #: 263
RE: Twins off-season - 1/4/2024 7:27:44 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

because they're idiots

That presser just kills me. Nothing about plans for next year's roster or how they plan to build on this year's success. The only stated off season objective was to cut payroll.

I say now as I said then. Fuk you, you cheap bastards.

Post #: 264
RE: Twins off-season - 1/4/2024 8:57:13 AM   
MDK

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

because they're idiots

I'm not. Bally Sports North was on YouTube TV and when it was dropped, I tried briefly to find alternatives and then decided why bother. I refuse to spend any money on the Twins with such a short sighted marketing approach. My wife's best friend has a condo in Fort Meyers and our plan was to visit her in March one year so I could take in ST games. We'll visit her but I won't spend a dime on the Twins.
I could care less whether or not Mauer gets into the HOF. I might listen to the Twins on radio but other than regularly following the box scores, I could care less. My apathy applies to the MN Vikings, TWolves (even though they are finally good) and trending toward the Wild. I could care less about Gopher football and Gopher Women's BB and VB are the sports I follow along with Gopher hockey.

I'll spend money on the Twins when they are sold by the Pohlads.

Seth Meyer's special on the debate.
Seth: "At the start of the debate, Kamala walked up to Trump and grabbed his hand....cause she's a star"
Post #: 265
RE: Twins off-season - 1/4/2024 9:19:22 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

The problem is that chopping payroll is always plan A.

It was always going to be plan A, regardless of the broadcasting deal. They're just using that as an excuse. They could have increased payroll and stated that they know a deal would get done with somebody eventually and that will cover the problem. But no, they couldn't wait to trot out the excuse....

Post #: 266
RE: Twins off-season - 1/4/2024 9:22:29 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

because they're idiots

That presser just kills me. Nothing about plans for next year's roster or how they plan to build on this year's success. The only stated off season objective was to cut payroll.

Why not appreciate the honesty?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 267
RE: Twins off-season - 1/4/2024 10:15:41 AM   
twinsfan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkgQvpYOowk

Philly sports talk on HOF. Mauer is discussed at the 7:50 mark.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 268
RE: Twins off-season - 1/4/2024 11:17:52 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

because they're idiots

You mean the ones buying season tickets no matter what?

Post #: 269
RE: Twins off-season - 1/4/2024 11:20:05 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

because they're idiots

Because I'm not a sheep.

Post #: 270
RE: Twins off-season - 1/4/2024 11:21:19 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

because they're idiots

I'm not. Bally Sports North was on YouTube TV and when it was dropped, I tried briefly to find alternatives and then decided why bother. I refuse to spend any money on the Twins with such a short sighted marketing approach. My wife's best friend has a condo in Fort Meyers and our plan was to visit her in March one year so I could take in ST games. We'll visit her but I won't spend a dime on the Twins.
I could care less whether or not Mauer gets into the HOF. I might listen to the Twins on radio but other than regularly following the box scores, I could care less. My apathy applies to the MN Vikings, TWolves (even though they are finally good) and trending toward the Wild. I could care less about Gopher football and Gopher Women's BB and VB are the sports I follow along with Gopher hockey.

The horrible part is we finally had a roster last year that was legit in it to win it. Farmer, Taylor, Vazquez, Gallo, Stewart, then the Correa signing and the Lopez trade.....no one complaining as they seem like all solid moves.

That is the part I look at---we can still field a legit roster w/o talking about it. Get another starter in a trade for Farmer/Kepler/Polanco/Vaszquez ($38 million) for Luzardo/Seattle Pitcher and sign a Maeda replacement like Lorenzen/Imanaga and another reasonable RH bat. No one would care and payroll would still be down to around 125 million.

But you start the offseason with a daper downer that only didn't piss off Matt.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/4/2024 11:29:05 AM >

Post #: 271
RE: Twins off-season - 1/4/2024 11:26:37 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

because they're idiots

They say they don't even include the ST games......in other words tons of profit.

Post #: 272
RE: Twins off-season - 1/4/2024 11:37:50 AM   
twinsfan

Look for our bullpen to be solid this season, especially with the major league debut of prospect Marco Raya.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 273
RE: Twins off-season - 1/4/2024 11:46:25 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Look for our bullpen to be solid this season, especially with the major league debut of prospect Marco Raya.

Won't matter if they don't fill in 2 SP.

Post #: 274
RE: Twins off-season - 1/8/2024 8:27:30 AM   
Trekgeekscott

And....crickets.

Crickets

And more crickets. While the rest of the league and the division is going out of their way to improve, the Twins continue to use the bullshit TV rights excuse to do nothing.

****ing asshats stop sitting around with you thumb up your ass. A new TV deal WILL be reached. You have to build a winner so people will watch. You can't just rest on your laurels or teams that are trying to improve/contend like the Tigers, and Royals will easily overtake you. Standing pat is Falling Stupid.

Post #: 275
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode