Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins off-season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins off-season - 1/29/2024 10:07:59 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Polanco scratched from Twinsfest schedule.

This could mean something.

Thank you. I'm not worthless.

Or it could mean he had Visa Issues.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 426
RE: Twins off-season - 1/29/2024 4:07:42 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Polanco scratched from Twinsfest schedule.

This could mean something.

Thank you. I'm not worthless.

Or it could mean he had Visa Issues.

What the hell does a credit card have to do with it?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 427
RE: Twins off-season - 1/29/2024 7:12:15 PM   
Mister Ed

Polanco to Seattle

Rosenthal says Twins getting 4 in return; 2 major leaguers.

What was old is new again
Post #: 428
RE: Twins off-season - 1/29/2024 7:22:21 PM   
Mister Ed

DeSclafini, who they will hope to revive to SF Giants form
Topa, who will help the bullpen for sure.

Post #: 429
RE: Twins off-season - 1/29/2024 7:27:43 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed

That's it??????

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 430
RE: Twins off-season - 1/29/2024 9:29:36 PM   
Mister Ed

quote:

quote:

That's it??????

top 100 outfielder, will be rated top 5 in MN system
Minors

and most importantly, $$$$

Post #: 431
RE: Twins off-season - 1/29/2024 9:34:40 PM   
Mister Ed

IDK what you'd expect in return for a guy who has played 104 games or less 2 years in a row, and 4 of the last 6 years.

Post #: 432
RE: Twins off-season - 1/29/2024 11:00:48 PM   
Jeff Allen

Polanco was expendable. We get some pitching depth for this year (both guys coming over are 33). We add to our prospects...hopefully that means they are going to make a splash and get a #2 starter in here. Corbin Burnes? Maybe sign Jordan Montgomery? They need someone at the top of the rotation if they are actually serious about 2024.
Post #: 433
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 7:54:19 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's it??????

top 100 outfielder, will be rated top 5 in MN system
Minors

and most importantly, $$$$

Gabriel Gonzales was the #5 prospect in the Mariners system. That is a good prospect pick up. The major league pieces are a couple of yawns. DeSclafini looks like someone the Twins will stubbornly run out there for a month or two before throwing in the towel. If Varland can't beat out DeSclafani for #5, then he never was much of a prospect. Topa could useful out of the pen, but last year was the first time he stuck in the majors at age 29.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 434
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 8:20:40 AM   
twinsfan

I just looked at all these guys we got on Baseball-Reference. Topa, as Tim alluded to, has had only one good season in the majors. His minor league career was mediocre. I'm not impressed. I expect him to regress in 2024, as most pop-u-for-a-year relievers do. DeSclafani is terrible. Can he be sent to AAA? If not, I don't see where there is room on the major league roster. He's like Jason Marquis. Gonzalez is still 3 years from the majors...so who knows. As for Bowen, I don't even know how he got drafted. Small college in North Carolina and his career WHIP was 1.394.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 435
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 8:39:32 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Allen

Polanco was expendable. We get some pitching depth for this year (both guys coming over are 33). We add to our prospects...hopefully that means they are going to make a splash and get a #2 starter in here. Corbin Burnes? Maybe sign Jordan Montgomery? They need someone at the top of the rotation if they are actually serious about 2024.

Yep, Polanco was a man without a position on the Twins. I really liked Polanco. I think of his career as a big middle finger to Terry Ryan. I've brought it many times before, but that interview when Ryan was all but dimissing Poloanco as a future piece of the organization still sticks in my mind. Unfortunately, the emergence of Julien made Polanco a bench player in this lineup. Given his switch hitting ability and versatility in the field, I would rather have moved someone like Farmer, but the rest of the league knows that Farmer can't play against right handed pitching.

The prospect part of the deal looks solid at this point. I'm not at all impressed with DeSclafini. This looks like a Matt Shoemaker or Dylan Bundy type of acquisition to me. Topa could give us some depth in the pen for a year.

All in all Polanco was a man without a position, had been piling up injuries and is going into the last year of his contract. Like Ed said, the Twins weren't going to get a ton in return for him.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 1/30/2024 8:41:25 AM >

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 436
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 8:48:23 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

I just looked at all these guys we got on Baseball-Reference. Topa, as Tim alluded to, has had only one good season in the majors. His minor league career was mediocre. I'm not impressed. I expect him to regress in 2024, as most pop-u-for-a-year relievers do. DeSclafani is terrible. Can he be sent to AAA? If not, I don't see where there is room on the major league roster. He's like Jason Marquis. Gonzalez is still 3 years from the majors...so who knows. As for Bowen, I don't even know how he got drafted. Small college in North Carolina and his career WHIP was 1.394.

Bowen did pretty well in first year in pro ball at high A. He had a 3.88 ERA, 1.096 WHIP and 9.5 SO/9. Gonzalez, tore it up in A and struggled a bit when he moved to A+. I'm satisfied with the prospect component of the deal.

Post #: 437
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 9:01:07 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Bowen did pretty well in first year in pro ball at high A. He had a 3.88 ERA, 1.096 WHIP and 9.5 SO/9. Gonzalez, tore it up in A and struggled a bit when he moved to A+. I'm satisfied with the prospect component of the deal.

My biggest gripe is Polanco is the chip we felt would get us a mid-rotation starting pitcher for 2024. We're not trading any of our shiny prospects. Kepler, if he's traded, won't get us much. May as well just hold onto him now.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 438
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 9:06:47 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

IDK what you'd expect in return for a guy who has played 104 games or less 2 years in a row, and 4 of the last 6 years.

I don't know anything about guys we got.

How do you think we did, Ed?
Post #: 439
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 9:27:20 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

My biggest gripe is Polanco is the chip we felt would get us a mid-rotation starting pitcher for 2024. We're not trading any of our shiny prospects. Kepler, if he's traded, won't get us much. May as well just hold onto him now.

When we couldn't get a better piece we got a reliever and 2 prospects and saved $5 million.

Hope they use the money to sign a mid rotation guy or another bat.

Almost wondered there for a second if they are paying for our pop and gatorade.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/30/2024 9:37:31 AM >

Post #: 440
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 10:10:27 AM   
TJSweens

Polanco was never going to net an established mid-rotation starter. He was always going to go for prospects and salary savings.

Post #: 441
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 10:12:04 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

They reduced payroll and that was the goal this offseason.

Post #: 442
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 10:21:36 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

Polanco was never going to net an established mid-rotation starter. He was always going to go for prospects and salary savings.

You are a disagreeable bastard.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 443
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 10:27:18 AM   
Jeff Allen

quote:

quote:

quote:

This is said every year and then we go out and get a Sonny Gray, a Josh Donaldson or a Carlos Correa. I'm not sure the goal is to cut salary, but it was just smart to trade Polanco because he's older and we have replacements. Proof is if we get a #2 starter or not. Ryan, Paddack, and Ober can me mid-rotation guys. We need someone to go with Lopez that is a step higher. Burnes? Montgomery? Seems like we can deal 2-3 top 10 prospects and be fine.
Post #: 444
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 10:28:23 AM   
twinsfan

NL Central: 24 Top 100 prospects
AL East: 20
NL West: 18
AL Central: 15
NL East: 14
AL West: 9

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 445
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 10:28:50 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

This is said every year and then we go out and get a Sonny Gray, a Josh Donaldson or a Carlos Correa. I'm not sure the goal is to cut salary, but it was just smart to trade Polanco because he's older and we have replacements. Proof is if we get a #2 starter or not. Ryan, Paddack, and Ober can me mid-rotation guys. We need someone to go with Lopez that is a step higher. Burnes? Montgomery? Seems like we can deal 2-3 top 10 prospects and be fine.

You forgot Varland.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 446
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 10:50:25 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

This year we are saying the goal was to cut salary because the Twins said the goal was to cut salary. They said nothing about sustaining starting pitching, what the plan was for the outfield or anything else baseball related. They did, however, come out with a statement saying they would cut payroll.

Post #: 447
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 10:54:42 AM   
twinsfan

John Bonnes
@TwinsGeek

If this trade leads to future positive moves, we can praise them, but this trade just made next year’s team worse.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 448
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 10:55:21 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

This year we are saying the goal was to cut salary because the Twins said the goal was to cut salary. They said nothing about sustaining starting pitching, what the plan was for the outfield or anything else baseball related. They did, however, come out with a statement saying they would cut payroll.

Gotta respect the transparency.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 449
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 10:56:48 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Burnes may be an option; Montgomery is a FA. No way are we signing a high end FA---it will have to be a trade. My best guess is Luzardo.

Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode