Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins off-season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 10:58:46 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Allen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed

IDK what you'd expect in return for a guy who has played 104 games or less 2 years in a row, and 4 of the last 6 years.

I don't know anything about guys we got.

How do you think we did, Ed?

They reduced payroll and that was the goal this offseason.

This is said every year and then we go out and get a Sonny Gray, a Josh Donaldson or a Carlos Correa. I'm not sure the goal is to cut salary, but it was just smart to trade Polanco because he's older and we have replacements. Proof is if we get a #2 starter or not. Ryan, Paddack, and Ober can me mid-rotation guys. We need someone to go with Lopez that is a step higher. Burnes? Montgomery? Seems like we can deal 2-3 top 10 prospects and be fine.

This year we are saying the goal was to cut salary because the Twins said the goal was to cut salary. They said nothing about sustaining starting pitching, what the plan was for the outfield or anything else baseball related. They did, however, come out with a statement saying they would cut payroll.

Gotta respect the transparency.

How would you rate it as a marketing plan?
I would have said nothing and make a few trades.....which they still can do. Trade for Luzardo and add a RH bat and they will still be 20-30 below last year.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 451
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 11:04:25 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

IDK what you'd expect in return for a guy who has played 104 games or less 2 years in a row, and 4 of the last 6 years.

This is said every year and then we go out and get a Sonny Gray, a Josh Donaldson or a Carlos Correa. I'm not sure the goal is to cut salary, but it was just smart to trade Polanco because he's older and we have replacements. Proof is if we get a #2 starter or not. Ryan, Paddack, and Ober can me mid-rotation guys. We need someone to go with Lopez that is a step higher. Burnes? Montgomery? Seems like we can deal 2-3 top 10 prospects and be fine.

This year we are saying the goal was to cut salary because the Twins said the goal was to cut salary. They said nothing about sustaining starting pitching, what the plan was for the outfield or anything else baseball related. They did, however, come out with a statement saying they would cut payroll.

I would have said nothing and make a few trades.....which they still can do. Trade for Luzardo and add a RH bat and they will still be 20-30 below last year.

That's because you're sneaky.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 452
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 11:05:48 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

$$ isn't a reason not to better the team. They can cut and still make the team better. Polanco trade still made us better.....Topa alone and the prospects. Desc was pretty good 2 years ago but the key is free up the money to make a move.

Farmer and Kepler can still be moved for something---maybe even Martin.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/30/2024 11:07:30 AM >

Post #: 453
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 11:11:35 AM   
Phil Riewer

Which one you want?

Throughout the 2023 offseason, many reports have emerged describing Marlins pitchers reportedly being available for trade. In most articles, these three pitchers are Edward Cabrera, Braxton Garrett, and Jesús Luzardo, all of whom are young, talented starters with success at the Major League level.

Post #: 454
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 11:13:20 AM   
twinsfan

Dan Hayes says the Twins are ecstatic about Bowen.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 455
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 11:14:39 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

$$ isn't a reason not to better the team. They can cut and still make the team better. Polanco trade still made us better.....Topa alone and the prospects. Desc was pretty good 2 years ago but the key is free up the money to make a move.

I'll go ahead and agree with John Bonnes. This trade does not make us better in 2024. Topa looks like a one-hit-wonder.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 456
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 11:18:25 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'll go ahead and agree with John Bonnes. This trade does not make us better in 2024. Topa looks like a one-hit-wonder.

What if they take the $5million and the money saved from not having to buy pop and gatorade and get someone to help in 2024? Pretty sure this is what Falvey is doing. It looks so much like Moneyball.

Post #: 457
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 11:19:29 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Does John know the future?

Want to know what is really strange....what Luzardo makes in 2024 is what the Twins saved on that trade.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/30/2024 11:28:59 AM >

Post #: 458
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 12:35:40 PM   
Jeff Allen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Does John know the future?

Want to know what is really strange....what Luzardo makes in 2024 is what the Twins saved on that trade.

Luzardo would be an amazing get.
Post #: 459
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 12:57:28 PM   
TJSweens

IF the plan is to trade for a starter during ST as is heavily speculated right now, the trade accomplishes two things.

1. It gets the Twins to the bottom edge of their payroll target. They can add a quality pitcher and still be comfortably under the top of the target range.

2. It deepens the prospect pool in anticipation of trading prospects to add a quality pitcher.

When we start tossing around names, keep in mind that the guy will have to be under contract and or team control for a minimum of two years.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 1/30/2024 1:02:25 PM >

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 460
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 5:21:18 PM   
Mister Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Burnes may be an option; Montgomery is a FA. No way are we signing a high end FA---it will have to be a trade. My best guess is Luzardo.

Guys they traded for are on last year deals, right? Instant 13M cap space next year

Outfielder is a hot rod prospect, and as noted they're deep in OF, so one/some can go for controllable assets.

I'm indifferent, since the goal is a stupid ass one
But Polanco is damaged goods.

What was old is new again
Post #: 461
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 9:23:05 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Polanco scratched from Twinsfest schedule.

This could mean something.

Thank you. I'm not worthless.

Or it could mean he had Visa Issues.

Good call...

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 462
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 9:24:26 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

DeSclafini, who they will hope to revive to SF Giants form
Topa, who will help the bullpen for sure.

That's it??????

top 100 outfielder, will be rated top 5 in MN system
Minors

and most importantly, $$$$

The $$$$ should be assumed when the Pohlad's make a deal.

--twinsfan
Post #: 463
RE: Twins off-season - 1/30/2024 9:29:17 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

I just looked at all these guys we got on Baseball-Reference. Topa, as Tim alluded to, has had only one good season in the majors. His minor league career was mediocre. I'm not impressed. I expect him to regress in 2024, as most pop-u-for-a-year relievers do. DeSclafani is terrible. Can he be sent to AAA? If not, I don't see where there is room on the major league roster. He's like Jason Marquis. Gonzalez is still 3 years from the majors...so who knows. As for Bowen, I don't even know how he got drafted. Small college in North Carolina and his career WHIP was 1.394.

Bowen did pretty well in first year in pro ball at high A. He had a 3.88 ERA, 1.096 WHIP and 9.5 SO/9. Gonzalez, tore it up in A and struggled a bit when he moved to A+. I'm satisfied with the prospect component of the deal.

My biggest gripe is Polanco is the chip we felt would get us a mid-rotation starting pitcher for 2024. We're not trading any of our shiny prospects. Kepler, if he's traded, won't get us much. May as well just hold onto him now.

I would've tried to package Polanco and Kepler or either of them with a prospect to get a legit #2 starter. We got quantity over quality in return, but we got CASH, so the Pohlad's will be happy. We know how much they want to win. NOT A ****ING BIT. More time on the golf course or boat for me this summer I guess.

--twinsfan
Post #: 464
RE: Twins off-season - 1/31/2024 7:27:29 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

I just looked at all these guys we got on Baseball-Reference. Topa, as Tim alluded to, has had only one good season in the majors. His minor league career was mediocre. I'm not impressed. I expect him to regress in 2024, as most pop-u-for-a-year relievers do. DeSclafani is terrible. Can he be sent to AAA? If not, I don't see where there is room on the major league roster. He's like Jason Marquis. Gonzalez is still 3 years from the majors...so who knows. As for Bowen, I don't even know how he got drafted. Small college in North Carolina and his career WHIP was 1.394.

Bowen did pretty well in first year in pro ball at high A. He had a 3.88 ERA, 1.096 WHIP and 9.5 SO/9. Gonzalez, tore it up in A and struggled a bit when he moved to A+. I'm satisfied with the prospect component of the deal.

My biggest gripe is Polanco is the chip we felt would get us a mid-rotation starting pitcher for 2024. We're not trading any of our shiny prospects. Kepler, if he's traded, won't get us much. May as well just hold onto him now.

I would've tried to package Polanco and Kepler or either of them with a prospect to get a legit #2 starter. We got quantity over quality in return, but we got CASH, so the Pohlad's will be happy. We know how much they want to win. NOT A ****ING BIT. More time on the golf course or boat for me this summer I guess.

Kepler and Polanco would not have returned a #2 starter. Especially one under team control for 2 to 4 years.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 465
RE: Twins off-season - 1/31/2024 11:10:07 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good call...

Phil should apologize for this.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 466
RE: Twins off-season - 1/31/2024 11:11:11 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Kepler and Polanco would not have returned a #2 starter. Especially one under team control for 2 to 4 years.

I'd take a good starting pitcher for 1 year of control.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 467
RE: Twins off-season - 1/31/2024 12:03:05 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good call...

I apologize for Matt being so needy and really failing on his visa take.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/31/2024 12:08:50 PM >

Post #: 468
RE: Twins off-season - 1/31/2024 12:34:46 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd take a good starting pitcher for 1 year of control.

The Twins won't. They won't part with assets for significant pitching unless there there are multiple years of team of team control involved.

Post #: 469
RE: Twins off-season - 1/31/2024 1:36:07 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good call...

Matt should apologize for the credit card joke. It was bad even for one of his.

Post #: 470
RE: Twins off-season - 1/31/2024 4:22:33 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good call...

You remember it so it couldn't have been that bad.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 471
RE: Twins off-season - 1/31/2024 6:24:27 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good call...

No, I remember it BECAUSE it was that bad.

Post #: 472
RE: Twins off-season - 1/31/2024 6:44:10 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good call...

No, I remember it BECAUSE it was that bad.

Would you even cry if I died?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 473
RE: Twins off-season - 2/2/2024 12:34:36 PM   
Jeff Allen

Burnes traded to Baltimore for the equivalent of Louis Varland (DL Hall), Austin Martin (Joe Ortiz), and maybe Emmanuel Rodriguez (34th pick in 2024 draft)? I would have done that if I am the Twins.
Post #: 474
RE: Twins off-season - 2/2/2024 12:46:30 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Burnes traded to Baltimore for the equivalent of Louis Varland (DL Hall), Austin Martin (Joe Ortiz), and maybe Emmanuel Rodriguez (34th pick in 2024 draft)? I would have done that if I am the Twins.

His arm is about to blow.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 475
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode