Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins off-season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins off-season - 2/2/2024 1:29:56 PM  2 votes
TJSweens

The Twins would never trade for Burnes' situation. His contract is done after the year and he will command a huge deal after. Falvine always wants a minimum of 2 years of team control.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 476
RE: Twins off-season - 2/2/2024 2:38:35 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

The Twins would never trade for Burnes' situation. His contract is done after the year and he will command a huge deal after. Falvine always wants a minimum of 2 years of team control.

Are you familiar with the name Hector Santiago?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 477
RE: Twins off-season - 2/2/2024 3:16:17 PM  1 votes
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

What do the Twins see in 26 year-old AA reliever Ryan Jensen?

He's a former 1st round pick, who struck out over 10 per 9 innings in the minors.

The Twins DFA'd him today. I guess the Twins aren't as enamored with him as you are. Good call, Sweens.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 478
RE: Twins off-season - 2/2/2024 7:38:07 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Are you familiar with the name Hector Santiago?

Yes what about him?

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 479
RE: Twins off-season - 2/3/2024 7:02:29 AM   
Mister Ed

Carlos Santana
1 year 5.25M + incentives
Not overly excited, hits LHP pretty well.
Par for the course.

< Message edited by Mister Ed -- 2/3/2024 7:05:11 AM >

What was old is new again
Post #: 480
RE: Twins off-season - 2/3/2024 7:50:15 AM   
boydster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed

Carlos Santana
Par for the course.

Just to say We did something with the offence to replace Palonco.
Post #: 481
RE: Twins off-season - 2/3/2024 8:13:38 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

He's a former 1st round pick, who struck out over 10 per 9 innings in the minors.

The Twins DFA'd him today. I guess the Twins aren't as enamored with him as you are. Good call, Sweens.

How come you cut out the other part of my response?

He's a former 1st round pick, who struck out over 10 per 9 innings in the minors. He can easily be punted if they need room on the 40 man roster.

Looks like I was spot on. đź‘Ś

Post #: 482
RE: Twins off-season - 2/3/2024 9:24:09 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

Carlos Santana
Par for the course.

I feel the same way. This does nothing to move the meter on my expectations for the season.

Post #: 483
RE: Twins off-season - 2/3/2024 10:29:31 AM  1 votes
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

How come you cut out the other part of my response?

He's a former 1st round pick, who struck out over 10 per 9 innings in the minors. He can easily be punted if they need room on the 40 man roster.

Looks like I was spot on. đź‘Ś

Because that part didn't fit my narrative.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 484
RE: Twins off-season - 2/3/2024 10:34:42 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

Carlos Santana
Par for the course.

I feel the same way. This does nothing to move the meter on my expectations for the season.

Dude is an ironman. 146 games last season. I like the signing.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 485
RE: Twins off-season - 2/3/2024 4:01:44 PM   
Jeff Allen

Polanco is a slightly better hitter than Santana...guess this gives us some Kirilloff (and Buxton) insurance. Needed.

2B -- Julien
SS -- Correa
3B -- Lewis
1B -- Santana
CF -- Buxton
DH -- Kirilloff
LF -- Wallner
RF -- Kepler
C -- Jeffers

Bench -- Vazquez, Castro, Farmer, A.Martin/Larnach/Gordon
Minors -- Brooks Lee, Martin/Larnach/Gordon, Miranda, E.Rodriguez, Y.Severino

SP -- Lopez, Ryan, Ober, Paddack, DesClafini
RP -- Duran, Jax, Topa, Stewart, Thielbar, Varland, Staumont, Alcala, Funderburk, Balazovic

Need a #2 starter.
Post #: 486
RE: Twins off-season - 2/4/2024 7:37:00 AM   
TJSweens

Anthony DeSclafani in the Rotation Raises More Questions than Answers

Adam Friedman
By Adam Friedman

15 hours ago

While the acquisitions of reliever Justin Topa and top-100 prospect Gabriel González were exciting pieces to receive for Jorge Polanco as part of a four-player package, the inclusion of Anthony Desclafani revealed that the Twins likely finalized their 2024 rotation in an uninspiring fashion.

The addition of Desclafani leaves the rotation in a concerning spot for a team looking to contend not just for an AL Central title but also a World Series title. Slotting him in as the fifth starter leaves the backend of the rotation mediocre, doesn't address the need for an additional frontline starter to pair with Pablo LĂłpez, and brings in more injury questions for a rotation full of them.

Questionable Backend of the Rotation
The Twins went into the offseason with the makings of a strong starting rotation despite the imminent departures of Sonny Gray and Kenta Maeda. They needed to acquire a frontline starter to pair with LĂłpez, and Chris Paddack; Joe Ryan; and Bailey Ober would fill in. Beyond forming a 1-2 punch at the front of the rotation, the trio at the back would stand above their peers.

Despite a disappointing 2023, Ryan is projected to post a solid 4.01 ERA by Fangraphs' ZiPS projection system. ZiPS projects Ober to post a 3.98 ERA. These results would be an improvement on the Twins' worst two rotation mainstays from 2023- Ryan and Maeda, who posted a 4.51 ERA and 4.23 ERA.

If Ober and Ryan, who have shown the ability to outpitch these projections at times, meet these projections, that would be a significant step up on last year's rotation, one of the best in Twins history. DeSclafani, on the other hand, is projected to post a 4.30 ERA. That's okay and is still an improvement on Maeda and Ryan's 2023 performance, but it diminishes a potentially elite backend of the rotation. DeSclafani's presence isn't a disaster by any means, but his taking up a place on the staff prevents the back of the rotation from being the strength it could and should be.

Still Needing a Frontline Starter
With their strong lineup, bullpen, and some strong starters, the expectations for the 2024 Twins are to repeat as division champions and try to make it to the ALCS or beyond. To do that, they need an additional playoff-caliber starter without Gray.

The front office might argue that Paddack is ready to be that guy after his promising glimpses out of the bullpen in 2023. That may be true, but he has not been good since his rookie season in 2019. Five years and a Tommy John surgery later, he's not a guy to rely upon.

The Twins also might believe Ryan or Ober can step up, but they didn't show that this past year, and the Twins didn't believe in them when they planned early exits for both of them in the ALDS. Ryan especially may be able to become a high-end number two starter, but he's relying on his improved slider to work, and he needs to keep the ball in the park.

These options are not what a team that is more likely than not to make a playoff appearance per betting odds should plan on. They can still get a frontline starter before the season starts or even at the deadline, but the DeSclafani addition indicates that move won't happen. For now, these are the options, and they need to be better for the team to meet its goals in October.

Injury Questions
On top of the pure talent of the rotation not fitting with the ambitions this organization should have for 2024, it's also riddled with injury questions. Pitchers often have injury concerns, but the fewer injury concerns on the staff, the less likely injuries are to derail a promising season.

Paddack is coming off his second Tommy John surgery and hasn't pitched more than 110 innings since 2021. Ober has been fragile for his entire professional career, and his 164 innings in 2023 were the first time he pitched more than 110 innings.

DeSclafani brings a flexor strain, which he is yet to be cleared from, although there's hope he's ready by Opening Day. These concerns are enough to make one queasy about the rotation entering the year.

The Jorge Polanco trade had many interesting components and parts to be excited about. But the way the rotation shakes out with DeSclafani as the fifth starter and no additional frontline starter is not where it should be. Will the Twins make another move to upgrade their rotation to one worthy of the team, or is this it?

Post #: 487
RE: Twins off-season - 2/5/2024 8:22:53 AM   
twinsfan

Jeffers and Kepler both make MLB's All-Underrated Team.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-all-underrated-team-2024

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 488
RE: Twins off-season - 2/5/2024 8:51:44 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: boydster

quote:

Carlos Santana
Par for the course.

Just to say We did something with the offence to replace Palonco.

More like insurance if Kiriloff gets hurt again, Miranda can't return, etc etc etc.

Plus he hits lefty's well...which we need in this pretty left handed lineup.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 489
RE: Twins off-season - 2/5/2024 9:15:43 AM   
Phil Riewer

Jay Jackson? Another RP?

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 490
RE: Twins off-season - 2/5/2024 11:05:08 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Jay Jackson? Another RP?

He's a hard worker.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 491
RE: Twins off-season - 2/5/2024 11:19:36 AM   
TJSweens

Jackson is a good bullpen depth arm. Jackson is well traveled, including couple of stints in Japan. It's surprising he hasn't worked more consistently in the majors. His numbers are decent.

Post #: 492
RE: Twins off-season - 2/5/2024 1:01:28 PM  2 votes
Trekgeekscott

Well Shit.

Pohlad Family "Not Considering" Selling Twins
By Mark Polishuk | February 4, 2024 at 10:58pm CDT

With David Rubenstein’s ownership group set to buy the Orioles, there have been some inevitable questions about which MLB team might be the next to be put onto the market. The Twins can be firmly removed from that discussion, as Joe Pohlad told Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star Tribune that “we are not considering [selling]. We are in it for the long term.”

Carl Pohlad bought the Twins in 1984, and Joe (Carl’s grandson) is now the third generation of the family to oversee the team’s day-to-day operations. “This is something that brings our family together, something we enjoy being a part of. We love getting together at the ballpark,” Joe Pohlad said. “And not only is it a family asset, it’s a community asset. We take that seriously, being part of the community and stewards of the team.” The younger Pohlad’s first year overseeing the Twins was a notable one, as Minnesota won the AL Central and then won their first playoff series since 2022 before bowing out in the ALDS.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 493
RE: Twins off-season - 2/5/2024 2:04:20 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

Well Shit.

Pohlad Family "Not Considering" Selling Twins
By Mark Polishuk | February 4, 2024 at 10:58pm CDT

With David Rubenstein’s ownership group set to buy the Orioles, there have been some inevitable questions about which MLB team might be the next to be put onto the market. The Twins can be firmly removed from that discussion, as Joe Pohlad told Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star Tribune that “we are not considering [selling]. We are in it for the long term.”

Carl Pohlad bought the Twins in 1984, and Joe (Carl’s grandson) is now the third generation of the family to oversee the team’s day-to-day operations. “This is something that brings our family together, something we enjoy being a part of. We love getting together at the ballpark,” Joe Pohlad said. “And not only is it a family asset, it’s a community asset. We take that seriously, being part of the community and stewards of the team.” The younger Pohlad’s first year overseeing the Twins was a notable one, as Minnesota won the AL Central and then won their first playoff series since 2022 before bowing out in the ALDS.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 494
RE: Twins off-season - 2/5/2024 2:06:23 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Jackson is a good bullpen depth arm. Jackson is well traveled, including couple of stints in Japan. It's surprising he hasn't worked more consistently in the majors. His numbers are decent.

Yeah. Hard to fault this "bargain bin" signing:

92-94 mph fastball and good slider. Has a 2.73 ERA with 56 strikeouts in 53 innings since returning from Japan in 2021.
Post #: 495
RE: Twins off-season - 2/5/2024 2:31:54 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Yeah. Hard to fault this "bargain bin" signing:

92-94 mph fastball and good slider. Has a 2.73 ERA with 56 strikeouts in 53 innings since returning from Japan in 2021.

He wasn't just a below radar signing....after they signed him not much mention on Twitter.

Post #: 496
RE: Twins off-season - 2/6/2024 7:27:28 AM   
Phil Riewer

So apparently there may be another year of Baily. To double down on how bad of marketing plan this is......they weren't on Hulu or youtube TV last year plus before Christmas you will be cutting because of the TV contract. So what kind of box does that put you in if you actually get near the same amount of money this year in TV money from Baily but yet you spend as if they are getting 0?

Post #: 497
RE: Twins off-season - 2/6/2024 12:10:46 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

Carlos Santana
Par for the course.

Best part of it is he won't be hitting against us.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 498
RE: Twins off-season - 2/6/2024 2:12:18 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

Carlos Santana
Par for the course.

Yep
Post #: 499
RE: Twins off-season - 2/6/2024 7:24:26 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

Carlos Santana
Par for the course.

Yeah, decent guy to have around at a decent price. But if this is the biggest off season move, I expected more, especially in the starting pitching area.
Post #: 500
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode