Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins off-season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins off-season - 2/7/2024 7:37:38 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed

Carlos Santana
1 year 5.25M + incentives
Not overly excited, hits LHP pretty well.
Par for the course.

I feel the same way. This does nothing to move the meter on my expectations for the season.

Best part of it is he won't be hitting against us.

Yeah, decent guy to have around at a decent price. But if this is the biggest off season move, I expected more, especially in the starting pitching area.

What Doogie is saying is they are getting another bat. I agree on the pitching front....need another top 2 starter.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 501
RE: Twins off-season - 2/7/2024 2:51:42 PM   
Phil Riewer

Do-Hyoung Park
@dohyoungpark
The Twins DFA'd Jordan Balazovic as part of their moves today to make the Carlos Santana and Jay Jackson signings official. They also claimed RHP Zack Weiss off waivers from the Red Sox.

Recent waiver claims Daniel Duarte and Bubba Thompson also DFA'd to make room.

Post #: 502
RE: Twins off-season - 2/7/2024 2:52:48 PM   
Phil Riewer

Thisismyclevername
@Clevernamelocal
·
27m
What's the current payroll number look like? Vs the planned?
DanHayesMLB
@DanHayesMLB
·
26m
They're near $125m now with one more signing planned.

Post #: 503
RE: Twins off-season - 2/7/2024 3:10:54 PM   
Phil Riewer

Although the contract isn't official----According to Fangraphs the Twins will have to shave around 15% off what they made off TV last year. So around 45 million instead of 54 million; so they cut 30 million in payroll after they lost 8 million in TV Revenue?

Post #: 504
RE: Twins off-season - 2/7/2024 3:15:13 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Do-Hyoung Park
@dohyoungpark
The Twins DFA'd Jordan Balazovic as part of their moves today to make the Carlos Santana and Jay Jackson signings official. They also claimed RHP Zack Weiss off waivers from the Red Sox.

Recent waiver claims Daniel Duarte and Bubba Thompson also DFA'd to make room.

I just read an article stating Balazovic was one of 5 Twins most likely to be DFA'd. One down, 4 to go.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 505
RE: Twins off-season - 2/7/2024 3:21:35 PM   
Phil Riewer

I just don't know how you can see what the Twins were with Sonny as their #2 last year and still being a little short......Ober and Ryan are more #3s than #2s. Paddock, Fest, Varland, Desciani are 4/5. If you truly are building on last year there has to be a trade for a pitching.

This is all on ownership....they gave Falvine and Levine 155 m last year. Then promoted the young Pohlad to take they heat of cutting payroll. Dammit...just give them 145 and they can add a pitcher and a bat.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 2/7/2024 3:24:24 PM >

Post #: 506
RE: Twins off-season - 2/8/2024 1:38:39 PM   
bstinger

quote:

I just don't know how you can see what the Twins were with Sonny as their #2 last year and still being a little short......Ober and Ryan are more #3s than #2s. Paddock, Fest, Varland, Desciani are 4/5. If you truly are building on last year there has to be a trade for a pitching.

This is all on ownership....they gave Falvine and Levine 155 m last year. Then promoted the young Pohlad to take they heat of cutting payroll. Dammit...just give them 145 and they can add a pitcher and a bat.

Yes of course they are short. They advertise openly that they were cutting payroll. Why is this a surprise to you?

They still will compete if not dominate in the Central and not have much of a chance to get to the WS, but as long as the Pohlad's make money, that's all that matters.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 507
RE: Twins off-season - 2/8/2024 2:28:06 PM   
Phil Riewer

They spent money last year...it will be embarrassing when it comes out their TV contract is for almost as much (as last year).

Just really surprised Falvey and Levine stay....

Post #: 508
RE: Twins off-season - 2/9/2024 10:32:11 AM   
Phil Riewer

Aaron Gleeman
@AaronGleeman
·
23m
Seems relevant to questions about whether the "new" television money will be invested back into the payroll in a significant way:
Evan Drellich
@EvanDrellich
·
1h
Lawyer for Diamond emphasizes to the judge that MLB and Diamond want terms of new/modified 2024 TV agreements w/Guardians, Rangers, Twins sealed: "They are highly confidential, they contain sensitive commercial terms, obviously the teams would not like these in the public forum."

Post #: 509
RE: Twins off-season - 2/9/2024 10:42:45 AM   
Phil Riewer

Ted
@tlschwerz
·
3m
This is beyond comical.

Number getting out would be a horrible look for the #MNTwins who have claimed TV poverty, and will instead see just a slight decrease in the 2024 agreement.
Evan Drellich
@EvanDrellich
·
1h
Lawyer for Diamond emphasizes to the judge that MLB and Diamond want terms of new/modified 2024 TV agreements w/Guardians, Rangers, Twins sealed: "They are highly confidential, they contain sensitive commercial terms, obviously the teams would not like these in the public forum."

Post #: 510
RE: Twins off-season - 2/9/2024 10:49:20 AM   
twinsfan

It's nobody's business but Diamond's and the Twins'.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 511
RE: Twins off-season - 2/9/2024 10:52:32 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Not after you claim you have no TV Deal and base your payroll on it just barely after the season is over.

Post #: 512
RE: Twins off-season - 2/9/2024 11:10:21 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Not after you claim you have no TV Deal and base your payroll on it just barely after the season is over.

Especially when the fans are footing the bill for everything. To say it's none of the fans business is bullshit.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 513
RE: Twins off-season - 2/9/2024 12:38:47 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Especially when the fans are footing the bill for everything. To say it's none of the fans business is bullshit.

I disagree.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 514
RE: Twins off-season - 2/9/2024 1:19:07 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I disagree.

Of course you do. The Matt See and Say. The sheep says ...BAAAAAAAAA

Post #: 515
RE: Twins off-season - 2/9/2024 5:00:38 PM   
ewen21

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I disagree.

And your rationale is?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 516
RE: Twins off-season - 2/9/2024 5:24:35 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ewen21

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I disagree.

And your rationale is?

We don't own the team.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 517
RE: Twins off-season - 2/10/2024 7:11:54 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ewen21

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I disagree.

And your rationale is?

We don't own the team.

We provide the team it's revenue. We were sold the Twins cutting payroll in response to a reduction in TV revenue. If they use the situation to slash payroll well in excess of that reduction, we have a right to know.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 2/10/2024 7:12:55 AM >

Post #: 518
RE: Twins off-season - 2/10/2024 9:26:02 AM   
Phil Riewer

Transparent when it was in their favor and opaque in regards to the TV contract which still has limited viewership——-total disregard to the fans, their marketing dept, and Falvey/Levine.

Looking more and more like horse ass owners every day. Gleeman and Twins Daily are even on the horses ass boat.

Not sure I am catching a live game this year.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 2/10/2024 9:30:10 AM >

Post #: 519
RE: Twins off-season - 2/10/2024 11:02:54 PM   
Jeff Allen

quote:

Transparent when it was in their favor and opaque in regards to the TV contract which still has limited viewership——-total disregard to the fans, their marketing dept, and Falvey/Levine.

Looking more and more like horse ass owners every day. Gleeman and Twins Daily are even on the horses ass boat.

Not sure I am catching a live game this year.

I don't mind supporting the team as long as they are trying to be competitive. Seems like they have been "trying" for several years now.

2017 -- young core...trying to build something.
2018 -- continued with the kids...tried to work on pitching with Lance Lynn, Fernando Rodney, Addison Reed...didn't work out.
2019 -- added Nelson Cruz, Schoop, CJ Cron, Pineda...that was a good team, but like this year, they were a couple pitches short.
2020 -- signed Josh Donaldson, traded for Maeda and Rich Hill, kept Pineda...thought they had a decent pen.
2021 -- tried to go with kids again, but they failed (Larnach, Kirilloff). Bad decisions with JA Happ and Alex Colome. This was a bad offseason.
2022 -- added Carlos Correa! Shook up team by getting Gary Sanchez, Gio Urshela, and Pagan. Traded for Sonny Gray and Jorge Lopez and Mahle...tried to add starters with Bundy and Archer.
2023 -- signed Correa again. traded for Pablo Lopez...added Vazquez, Gallo, Taylor.

I mean, of course things don't always work out, but other than 2021, I've felt pretty good about the Twins in April. For that to happen this year they will need to add another starter who might become damn good. Jordan Montgomery? Trevor Bauer? Blake Snell? Or have a plan to get an ace in July. Obviously, they can not compete standing pat and that would be unfortunate.
Post #: 520
RE: Twins off-season - 2/11/2024 10:47:35 AM   
jimbo

The twins management is in the business to make money period. If we should win make an appearance in the playoffs that’s just icing on the cake.

The first priority is to make money, it does not matter who the gm is weather it’s Ryan, or the men who have followed him it has remained the same
This team has held a budget and stuck to no matter who’s in charge. The greatest gm would also fail here because of the people who own this team.

They have always have wanted for everyone watching that we are small market.
Post #: 521
RE: Twins off-season - 2/11/2024 12:25:04 PM   
MDK

One Pohlad cared about winning.
Eloise
Only one

7/1/24 the day US democracy died and 7/4/24 the last Independence Day celebration as a democratic nation if Trump is elected in Nov 2024.
Post #: 522
RE: Twins off-season - 2/11/2024 2:30:05 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

Eloise
Only one

I’ve always said she was the heart and soul of the Twins. And we’ll never have that again u til the team is sold.
Post #: 523
RE: Twins off-season - 2/11/2024 3:02:47 PM   
boydster

Twins trade Nick Gordon to Miami for a lefty in the bullpen. Gordon is out of options.
Post #: 524
RE: Twins off-season - 2/11/2024 4:21:30 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

Eloise
Only one

No one is expecting them to lose money or spend a ton of money. But a #2 pitcher and another bat. Make good baseball moves. Signing Gallo and Vaszquez last year must be the 20 million they are trying to recover. It just makes less than zero sense.

The bullpen is going to be very good. Tampa Bay model.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 2/11/2024 4:24:08 PM >

Post #: 525
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode