Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2024 Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  48 49 [50] 51 52   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/13/2024 1:59:23 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Last year, just before the start of the NFL Draft, the league announced a settlement between the Eagles and Cardinals in which the Cardinals swapped their #66 pick for the Eagles’ #94 as compensation for tampering with Eagles defensive coordinator Jonathon Gannan, who was later hired as the Cardinals’ head coach. The Cardinals also got a 2024 fifth-round pick from the Eagles.....dailynorseman

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1226
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/13/2024 2:52:19 AM   
kwheats

Last year, just before the start of the NFL Draft, the league announced a settlement between the Eagles and Cardinals in which the Cardinals swapped their #66 pick for the Eagles’ #94 as compensation for tampering with Eagles defensive coordinator Jonathon Gannan, who was later hired as the Cardinals’ head coach. The Cardinals also got a 2024 fifth-round pick from the Eagles.

The league has said back in 2016 that more stringent penalties for tampering would be imposed going forward, as tampering was “a corrosive activity that undermines the integrity of the game.” The Cardinals tampering case was regarding a coach and not a player, and they also self-reported it which qualifies as mitigating circumstances under the league’s anti-tampering policy which may have resulted in a lesser penalty.

But if the Atlanta Falcons tampered with Kirk Cousins- as Cousins inadvertently admitted publicly- and the league finds ‘a preponderance of evidence’ that supports the allegation of tampering, there could be an example made of the Falcons depending how high-up the tampering went in the organization (owner Arthur Blank reportedly told his front office to do whatever is necessary to land Cousins). Making such a statement publicly- or leaking it to the media- can also be considered a violation of the league’s anti-tampering policy:So, if the league finds that the preponderance of evidence suggests the Falcons tampered with Cousins, and that evidence of willful tampering occurred at higher levels of the organization, regarding the top free agent set to enter free agency, and who they signed to a $45 million/year deal and potentially compromising the Vikings’ exclusive negotiating rights window, the league could impose a stiff penalty on the Falcons- potentially the biggest penalty ever for tampering- given the high profile nature of the player.

In 2022, the Dolphins forfeited a first-round pick and a third-round pick for tampering with Tom Brady- who they didn’t ultimately sign. Dolphins owner Stephen Ross was implicated in the tampering violation and was fined $1.5 million and suspended for the remainder of the year from league meetings and was removed from all league committees.

Still it remains unclear when the league will conclude their investigation and what punishment, if any, the Commissioner chooses to impose. It’s also unclear if the Vikings will be the beneficiary of any potential punishment imposed by the Commissioner on the Falcons. The fact that the Falcons signed Cousins will likely be a factor in any punishment imposed by the Commissioner:
Post #: 1227
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/13/2024 2:58:56 AM   
kwheats

The Vikings would have had to have certified a compliant against the Falcons to receive compensation. It’s unclear whether they did so or not.

Stay tuned.

Follow me on X/Twitter @wludford
Post #: 1228
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/13/2024 7:22:03 AM   
Todd M

Big misstep if they didn’t.

I’d love to see our 1sts flipped. Might just move a team out of their spot if it’s still a top 10.
Post #: 1229
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/13/2024 10:09:48 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: kwheats

Last year, just before the start of the NFL Draft, the league announced a settlement between the Eagles and Cardinals in which the Cardinals swapped their #66 pick for the Eagles’ #94 as compensation for tampering with Eagles defensive coordinator Jonathon Gannan, who was later hired as the Cardinals’ head coach. The Cardinals also got a 2024 fifth-round pick from the Eagles.

The league has said back in 2016 that more stringent penalties for tampering would be imposed going forward, as tampering was “a corrosive activity that undermines the integrity of the game.” The Cardinals tampering case was regarding a coach and not a player, and they also self-reported it which qualifies as mitigating circumstances under the league’s anti-tampering policy which may have resulted in a lesser penalty.

But if the Atlanta Falcons tampered with Kirk Cousins- as Cousins inadvertently admitted publicly- and the league finds ‘a preponderance of evidence’ that supports the allegation of tampering, there could be an example made of the Falcons depending how high-up the tampering went in the organization (owner Arthur Blank reportedly told his front office to do whatever is necessary to land Cousins). Making such a statement publicly- or leaking it to the media- can also be considered a violation of the league’s anti-tampering policy:So, if the league finds that the preponderance of evidence suggests the Falcons tampered with Cousins, and that evidence of willful tampering occurred at higher levels of the organization, regarding the top free agent set to enter free agency, and who they signed to a $45 million/year deal and potentially compromising the Vikings’ exclusive negotiating rights window, the league could impose a stiff penalty on the Falcons- potentially the biggest penalty ever for tampering- given the high profile nature of the player.

In 2022, the Dolphins forfeited a first-round pick and a third-round pick for tampering with Tom Brady- who they didn’t ultimately sign. Dolphins owner Stephen Ross was implicated in the tampering violation and was fined $1.5 million and suspended for the remainder of the year from league meetings and was removed from all league committees.

Still it remains unclear when the league will conclude their investigation and what punishment, if any, the Commissioner chooses to impose. It’s also unclear if the Vikings will be the beneficiary of any potential punishment imposed by the Commissioner on the Falcons. The fact that the Falcons signed Cousins will likely be a factor in any punishment imposed by the Commissioner:

Fascinating.

Again, receiving compensation seems too good to be a true for a downtrodden dilapidated old Vikings fan like myself.

We made an offer. To my chagrin, we stated publicly over and over how much we wanted Cousins back.

If it happens, if that compensation could happen THIS draft ... it couldn't happen at a more franchise critical moment.

It would be a better bounce than ever happened in 2022, the king of good bounciness.
Post #: 1230
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/13/2024 10:11:53 AM   
Tom Sykes

I would actually have to move Cousins BACK into my top 50 Viking QBs of all time.
Post #: 1231
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/13/2024 1:26:50 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

I would actually have to move Cousins BACK into my top 50 Viking QBs of all time.

The Vikings have had 39 starting quarterbacks in the history of their franchise; they had never had more than three starting quarterbacks in one season until 2023.

So….

49 with a bullet?

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1232
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/13/2024 2:49:08 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kwheats

Fascinating.

Again, receiving compensation seems too good to be a true for a downtrodden dilapidated old Vikings fan like myself.

We made an offer. To my chagrin, we stated publicly over and over how much we wanted Cousins back.

If it happens, if that compensation could happen THIS draft ... it couldn't happen at a more franchise critical moment.

It would be a better bounce than ever happened in 2022, the king of good bounciness.

i sure hope that kwesi is all over this...get lawyered up and go after them, nfl/atlanta - make some noise - get the media into it....

this is a top 12 franchise quarterback we're talking about....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1233
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/13/2024 5:05:28 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

The Vikings have had 39 starting quarterbacks in the history of their franchise; they had never had more than three starting quarterbacks in one season until 2023.

So….

49 with a bullet?

LOL.

Good thing I put him at ‘inside 50’ instead of ‘#50’. I would have hammered you for being a Cousins Apologist.
Post #: 1234
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/14/2024 8:10:07 AM   
Todd M

Jeremy Fowler this morning on Sportscenter reports, among other things, that the #Vikings are trying to keep the No. 23 overall pick in trade up talks

————-

From the other day. I don’t know if it’s true or not but it would be so Kwesi. Has ammunition fall in his lap, wants to hold onto it. Yet last year, in a talent poor draft, he wants to sell the farm. Holding onto this years extra 1st and evening your ammo to take shots with to every other QB hungry team is the opposite of what he should be doing.

I think he’s about to get outplayed badly.
Post #: 1235
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/14/2024 8:14:12 AM   
Todd M

I guess it could be a ploy to drive teams off their 3 1sts isn’t enough stance but I’m not sure I’m willing to give him the BOD.
Post #: 1236
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/14/2024 9:46:22 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I guess it could be a ploy to drive teams off their 3 1sts isn’t enough stance but I’m not sure I’m willing to give him the BOD.

True. You can't give him what he hasn't earned.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1237
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/15/2024 7:34:10 AM   
Todd M

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-mock-draft-commanders-jj-mccarthy-vikings-two-qbs

Here you go Marty. I think someone’s stealing your stuff!

Projected Trade: Vikings receive Pick No. 9; (Take Maye) Bears receive Picks Nos. 11 and 108

34. MINNESOTA VIKINGS: QB MICHAEL PENIX JR., WASHINGTON

Projected Trade: Vikings receive Pick Nos. 34 and 68; Patriots receive Pick No. 23
Post #: 1238
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/15/2024 10:52:05 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-mock-draft-commanders-jj-mccarthy-vikings-two-qbs

Projected Trade: Vikings receive Pick No. 9; (Take Maye) Bears receive Picks Nos. 11 and 108

Projected Trade: Vikings receive Pick Nos. 34 and 68; Patriots receive Pick No. 23

Yep I saw that too. We should have stuck and picked at 23 IMO. So many great prospects available that weren't available at 34.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1239
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/15/2024 11:59:45 AM   
marty

It would certainly be interesting.

It's hard to hit on a franchise QB, but drafting 2 in a year where there are 6 possibilities, might give you a pretty good shot on hitting on one.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1240
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/15/2024 12:20:02 PM   
Chris Olson

quote:

That is click bait...

Broncos trade up to 3? "Broncos receive Pick No. 3; Patriots receive Pick Nos. 12, 76 and a 2025 first-round pick"

No way does NE do that...and if they are open to trading, Minnesota will offer 11, 23 and 2025 1st to outdo that...
Post #: 1241
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/15/2024 12:28:50 PM   
Todd M

I didn’t look at anything but us, but yeah, that’s crazy.

I only linked it bc of Marty.
Post #: 1242
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/15/2024 12:52:07 PM   
Chris Olson

I assumed so...virtually copied from marty's posts
Post #: 1243
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/15/2024 2:12:47 PM   
kgdabom

Teams have drafted 2 QBs in the same draft before, but I don't recall it happening with 2 firsts or in this example an early first and an early 2nd.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 4/15/2024 3:07:55 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1244
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/15/2024 3:07:41 PM   
Tom Sykes

We could draft two QBs early but it shows no cofidence in either prospect. Why not just draft one, roundhouse kick him in the nuts, and take a DT with our second pick.

Two players with a chance for success instead of neither.
Post #: 1245
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/15/2024 3:14:07 PM   
David Levine

quote:

We could draft two QBs early but it shows no cofidence in either prospect. Why not just draft one, roundhouse kick him in the nuts, and take a DT with our second pick.

Two players with a chance for success instead of neither.

Yup. And you just can't split the development between two rookie QBs. There are not enough hours, coaches or quality receivers to do that.

That said, if we really like a guy who slides to the 5th round or later, go ahead and grab him. That's a guy you can slowly groom into a back-up QB. And it shouldn't be hard to beat out whoever is left of Mullens or Hall.
Post #: 1246
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/15/2024 6:32:52 PM   
Chris Olson

Just musing here

I had to laugh at one of the comments on a recent youtube video.

Someone mentioned how much they just want the excitement of hearing during the draft the "we have a trade" and the "Vikings are on the clock" inside the top 5 picks

I have to echo that I would enjoy hearing that myself, even if it isn't the "best" thing for the team...

It just feels like such a fun experience...provided we make a good pick and the trade details aren't too embarrassing...

Alternatively, I think I am leaning more and more to hoping we stick and pick at 11, unless something irresistible is in play

Taking Penix and a defensive player might just be a coup

Was watching 2 Cardinals buffoons today talk about how they are gonna fleece the Vikings for 3 firsts and more picks for 4 because Ossefort is so smart etc

thought I was going to vomit...no way we give that up for the 4th pick...our 2 firsts, sure, but not 3+
Post #: 1247
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/15/2024 7:39:55 PM   
Todd M

Reading the tea leaves in an environment where no one is honest we can safely say we want to buy and any team that is interested in trading down wants to sell to us. Kwesi hasn’t had the time nor the success to be swinging a big dick. Squeeze Kwesi has to be the talk in the cigar room. So we have to volley back that we’re ok and prepared to hold onto our assets. So it’ll be up to our guy to play the game live under pressure. It’s such an exciting scenario. Minus the worry. But if we do see TRADE light up in the top 5 it’s going to be such a big moment.
Post #: 1248
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/15/2024 8:37:44 PM   
Chris Olson

I really hope (based on nothing) that Kwesi shows he has some balls in this draft...

He said all the right things in his press conference, but nobody believes him

He probably does more for his career in football with a stick and pick than a frantic trade up for JJ

But I know he wants to get his Mahomes, and I can't see him not going for it...

And I wonder how would the fanbase feel if he does find some balls and ends up with Byron Murphy and Terrion Arnold and we ride with Darnold?

That, to me, would feel like a failure, even if it might be amazing for our defense
Post #: 1249
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/16/2024 2:10:24 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

I really hope (based on nothing) that Kwesi shows he has some balls in this draft...

He said all the right things in his press conference, but nobody believes him

He probably does more for his career in football with a stick and pick than a frantic trade up for JJ

But I know he wants to get his Mahomes, and I can't see him not going for it...

And I wonder how would the fanbase feel if he does find some balls and ends up with Byron Murphy and Terrion Arnold and we ride with Darnold?

That, to me, would feel like a failure, even if it might be amazing for our defense

Murphy, Arnold, and next year's first rounder. Still missing the most important position, but not convinced JJ is all that.
Post #: 1250
Page:   <<   < prev  48 49 [50] 51 52   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  48 49 [50] 51 52   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode