Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2024 Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  61 62 [63] 64 65   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 1:24:28 PM   
Dave Odle

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

I've got a University of Michigan Polo shirt that my wife mistakenly bought me thinking it was Minnesota. I'm going to be wearing it in anticipation of us drafting JJ McCarthy hopefully at 8 or later.

Honestly, it's McCarthy's meteoric ascent from a projected 2nd rounder to a top 5 pick that really scares me; but that's the beauty of the draft. You just never know until at least a year later. There are lots of 1st round picks who flame out. Sam Darnold is one of them and our placeholder right now.

The numbers for McCarthy are ridiculously good, but just at low volume. I think he is fine at 11 and consider his age he might even be worth a small trade up. I don't think his arm will fall off throwing 30-40 passes a game instead of 20.

At the very least, whether it's McCarthy or Penix, it will be nice to have a QB who can throw on the run and have better mobility than Cousins. I am so glad we are rid of him. He is all about the money (despite the holier than thou image), but won only one playoff game.

Try using hindsight in the present.
Post #: 1551
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 1:24:55 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Draft Day Checklist:
1. Put KGBum on Ignore.
2. Everything else.
Post #: 1552
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 1:27:09 PM  1 votes
Dave Odle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Draft Day Checklist:
1. Put KGBum on Ignore.
2. Everything else.

No idea, man. I've been gone for a long time. Just talking football!

I'm really excited for tonight. It's good to "see" everyone again!

Post #: 1553
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 1:37:52 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

ESPN. Yates final Mock:

Projected trade: Minnesota can't wait any longer
Vikings get: No. 8
Falcons get: No. 11, No. 129 and a 2025 third-rounder

This is a smaller move up the board than we've discussed frequently during the pre-draft process -- Minnesota jumping into the Nos. 3-5 range -- but the Vikings can slide up just three spots at a much less prohibitive cost to snag a quarterback here based on the way the board is coming together.

8. Minnesota Vikings (via mock trade with ATL)
J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan

McCarthy would be in an excellent situation with Minnesota's supporting cast, and the Vikings would also preserve their No. 23 pick by moving to only No. 8 to get him. McCarthy has the high-end accuracy to get the ball to Justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison, as well as the mobility to pick up yards on the ground. And I know Minnesota has Sam Darnold, but I believe McCarthy would start right away.

23. Minnesota Vikings (via CLE/HOU)
Laiatu Latu, EDGE, UCLA

Latu would join Jonathan Greenard for Minnesota's new-look pass rush on defense. He had the best tape of any defensive player in the class and can become a double-digit sack artist in the NFL. After all, he had 23.5 of them over the past two seasons at UCLA. Medical concerns over a prior neck injury (while at Washington in 2020) would be the only reason he slides to this slot.

-----------

He has Byron Murphy going 11, Penix 13 and Nix 19 to the Rams.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/40006988/2024-nfl-mock-draft-field-yates-first-round-32-picks-final-predictions

Make it Chop over Latu and I’m all in.
Post #: 1554
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 1:41:22 PM  1 votes
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Draft Day Checklist:
1. Put KGBum on Ignore.
2. Everything else.

No idea, man. I've been gone for a long time. Just talking football!

I'm really excited for tonight. It's good to "see" everyone again!

I don't need to put you on ignore for draft day Bill. I've had you on ignore for years.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1555
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 1:45:28 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

ESPN. Yates final Mock:

This is a smaller move up the board than we've discussed frequently during the pre-draft process -- Minnesota jumping into the Nos. 3-5 range -- but the Vikings can slide up just three spots at a much less prohibitive cost to snag a quarterback here based on the way the board is coming together.

McCarthy would be in an excellent situation with Minnesota's supporting cast, and the Vikings would also preserve their No. 23 pick by moving to only No. 8 to get him. McCarthy has the high-end accuracy to get the ball to Justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison, as well as the mobility to pick up yards on the ground. And I know Minnesota has Sam Darnold, but I believe McCarthy would start right away.

Laiatu Latu, EDGE, UCLA

Latu would join Jonathan Greenard for Minnesota's new-look pass rush on defense. He had the best tape of any defensive player in the class and can become a double-digit sack artist in the NFL. After all, he had 23.5 of them over the past two seasons at UCLA. Medical concerns over a prior neck injury (while at Washington in 2020) would be the only reason he slides to this slot.

-----------

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/40006988/2024-nfl-mock-draft-field-yates-first-round-32-picks-final-predictions

26. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Chop Robinson, EDGE, Penn State

With two notable needs to fill -- along the interior offensive line and on the edge -- Tampa Bay could check one off quickly with Robinson. I'm high on him, ranking him 19th on my final board. He had only four sacks during his final college season, but his first-step quickness is outstanding. And there are several people around the league who think Robinson could hear his name called much sooner that this based on that potential and upside.
Post #: 1556
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 1:48:57 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

ESPN. Yates final Mock:

Laiatu Latu, EDGE, UCLA

-----------

26. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Chop Robinson, EDGE, Penn State

With two notable needs to fill -- along the interior offensive line and on the edge -- Tampa Bay could check one off quickly with Robinson. I'm high on him, ranking him 19th on my final board. He had only four sacks during his final college season, but his first-step quickness is outstanding. And there are several people around the league who think Robinson could hear his name called much sooner that this based on that potential and upside.

Latu’s neck is a concern. And, I’m totally biased when it comes to Big 10 players! Especially Penn State guys.
Post #: 1557
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 1:52:33 PM   
Todd M

We’re moving to 3. Pats want our picks. They can say 3+ all they want, they’re not getting it. We say 3 is too much but we’ll pay it. Both sides just need to acknowledge the middle reality and agree to a deal. If they haven’t already.

No one can outbid us. Maye is our draft darling. Daniels a great consolation prize.

They don’t have 1st or 2nd pick but I believe they’re going to get their guy.
Post #: 1558
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 2:01:58 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Strange draft, not hoping for any particular player. Do hope to preserve draft capital. Someone needs to tell Kwesi to relax in words he understands, like letting the draft evolve organically.

There are 3-5 CBs, get one at #23.
Post #: 1559
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 2:03:05 PM   
Dave Odle

quote:

Strange draft, not hoping for any particular player. Do hope to preserve draft capital. Someone needs to tell Kwesi to relax in words he understands, like letting the draft evolve organically.

Do you have a preference at QB? What are you thinking, Bill?

Post #: 1560
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 2:10:49 PM   
Bill Johanesen

My guess is they take McCarthy either at 11 or in a small trade up. He's 21 (like Maye) which IMO affords more upside.
Post #: 1561
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 2:31:55 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

No, but am concerned about what these QBs are worth.

Maye. I think he's pretty unflappable, one of the things that go into having 'It'. 11, 23, and change.
McCarthy. He's done some stuff already, just not much of it. No glaring issues. 11 and change.
Penix. Great arm. Concerns about pocket presence and injuries. 23 and change.
Nix. Gimmicky. An SEC failure. Stats-smats. Pass for Rattler except we don't have a second rounder.

We need draft picks. No 2nd last year. No 2nd and 3rd this year. No 2nd next year. In a few years that is going to show as a huge void unless they draft great. Free agency just isn't going to cover the omissions and lapses. The money didn't go far this year. A couple of guys who haven't played full seasons, some injured guys, and an ok RB.
Post #: 1562
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 2:44:12 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young
WE have two picks today..
Then nothing? Until the 4th round…
People saying he can fix this team, or defending KAM and his management “ style” are not all that bright.
We are trying to fix a 7-10 team with one valid Starting QB and multiple holes on the DL , garbage at center, and other positions with 9 picks..
7 of which are 4-7 th round players who will be picked fron the dumpster behind Pizza King…in Detroit.
Total dysfunctional management, yet thousands of fans are “ hyped” about the possibility of a breakout season in 2024.
What koolaid are those people drinking?
KAM is so far in over his head, he needs a 20 foot extention ladder to get his head out of the dumpster that is on fire…
This is gonna be worse than his first draft.

No Free Agents?
you think that our current free agents and practice squad and IR player can magically transform a dumpster fire into a tailgating at the Super Bowl parking lot grill?

JFC..

Define stupid. Open your mouth again… on anything.

Definition of stupid is when you ignore the work done in FA period and pretend a team is only built thru the draft......

You need to check you attitude into a local mental suite dude.

We got some decent second tier FAs. Maybe both of the defensive guys together will make-up for what Hunter gave us last year - IF they stay healthy. Aaron Jones is a legit upgrade, but not a difference maker.

Did anyone go into Free Agency hoping we'd sign Jonathan Greenard and Andrew Van Ginkel? How many people even knew who they were last year?

This wasn't the momentous Free Agent coup you keep making it out to be.

Never said it was a coup but in what draft are you going to add/replace 4-5 and maybe as high as 6 starters?

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1563
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 2:53:29 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maye. I think he's pretty unflappable, one of the things that go into having 'It'. 11, 23, and change.
McCarthy. He's done some stuff already, just not much of it. No glaring issues. 11 and change.
Nix. Gimmicky. An SEC failure. Stats-smats. Pass for Rattler except we don't have a second rounder.

We need draft picks. No 2nd last year. No 2nd and 3rd this year. No 2nd next year. In a few years that is going to show as a huge void unless they draft great. Free agency just isn't going to cover the omissions and lapses. The money didn't go far this year. A couple of guys who haven't played full seasons, some injured guys, and an ok RB.

I'm kind of the opposite. Kwesi keeps trading down for more picks, yet diminishing returns. 10 bad picks isn't preferable to 6 bad picks...

I'm ready to see him consolidate picks to trade up. Maybe he can get an impact player that way.
Post #: 1564
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 2:58:22 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm kind of the opposite. Kwesi keeps trading down for more picks, yet diminishing returns. 10 bad picks isn't preferable to 6 bad picks...

I'm ready to see him consolidate picks to trade up. Maybe he can get an impact player that way.

That works. He just needs to hit on the picks.
Post #: 1565
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 3:14:46 PM   
marty

While a trade up for Mayes or Daniels would be quite exciting, I prefer they either stay put and take McCarthy or Penix, or a small trade up for McCarthy.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1566
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 3:15:47 PM   
marty

I wonder if the Vikings could get 2 2nd rounders back for pick #23, 1 2nd this year, and one 2nd rounder next year ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1567
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 3:27:55 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I wonder if the Vikings could get 2 2nd rounders back for pick #23, 1 2nd this year, and one 2nd rounder next year ?

Why would you "undo" the trade?
Post #: 1568
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 3:29:58 PM   
Todd M

quote:

Wow would that ever be so totally awesome! Maybe we can use THEM to get back into the 1st!

That’s 2 posters today proposing the dumbest move in draft history.
Post #: 1569
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 3:34:32 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Why would you "undo" the trade?

Because he thinks it's a bad trade I would guess. I think if we keep the pick the difference between 23 and 42 this year might be worth losing the 2nd next year.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1570
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 3:36:52 PM   
Todd M

Scott takes the cake suggesting a trade down from 23 for A pick or 2. A pick. OR 2. BC logic I guess.
Post #: 1571
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 3:39:06 PM   
marty

I am saying the draft doesn't fall the way we want it to, so the Vikings don't use #23 to trade up.

You trade back to once again have a 2nd this year, and regain a 2nd next year (maybe one that will be higher than Minnesota's pick), and then you once again have a 2nd next year, which might be used for ammo to move up next year, if need be.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1572
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 3:42:08 PM   
David Levine

quote:

I am saying the draft doesn't fall the way we want it to, so the Vikings don't use #23 to trade up.

You trade back to once again have a 2nd this year, and regain a 2nd next year (maybe one that will be higher than Minnesota's pick), and then you once again have a 2nd next year, which might be used for ammo to move up next year, if need be.

If Kwesi doesn't think there is a player worth the #23 pick, he should be fired on the spot.
Post #: 1573
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 4:01:18 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

So how did trading down work for Kwesi his first year? Don't think you maneuver like they did to move down.

If the QB isn't there there are other needs....worst case scenario is stay put and draft.

It would almost feel like trading down with all the hoopla.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1574
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 4:11:37 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

I say we trade 11 for a mid second rounder and an early third in 2024..

Trade 23 for 24 and take whatever POS bottom of the barrel QB is still on the board.. except PENIx..

Then send KAM a contract extension that includes an NFL career guarantee of a new pair of Armani shoes until he is completely out of the league.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1575
Page:   <<   < prev  61 62 [63] 64 65   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  61 62 [63] 64 65   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode