Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2024 Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:18:03 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

All I know is this: If the Vikings give up both draft picks and a future to move up to #4 to select McCarthy, it could end up going down as the dumbest move since trading for Herschel Walker.

Especially considering he might be there at 11 if we stick and pick.

The only way he is there is if the Giants pass on him and neither of the QB desperate teams immediately behind us jump up to 9 or 10 to take him. I find that scenario to be highly unlikely.

I'm pretty sure the giants will pass on him at 6 assuming we don't trade up for him. I wouldn't mind a slight trade up from 11 to 8 to lock him up. I do like him a tiny bit more than Nix.

I've advocated a trade up to the Falcons in the past if McCarthy slides past the Giants.

The drop off from McCarthy to Nix is Wile E Coyote falling off a cliff.

Take a look at my edited post that you quoted pre edit. Nix will be better than McCarthy for at least the next two years, but I can see McCarthy catching and passing Nix in year 3. That is why big picture I prefer McCarthy. Payton is more desperate to win now and that is why I believe he prefers Nix.

It's 2024. Quarterbacks rarely get three years to prove themselves. The days of sitting on a bench for a year are long gone.

I expect McCarthy to start midseason this year. He will be OK, but Nix will be better this year and next.

I think Nix is the epitome of already as good as he will ever be. He will be immediately exposed when he doesn't have the luxury of throwing 65% of his passes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage in the NFL.

That's what I'm seeing more than anything. He is what he is. Limited arm, limited processing, Accuracy falls off significantly down the field. Ceiling may be mid-tier starter. But his Floor may be high end #2. Probably low bust potential.

He's probably the guy that will tumble in the draft.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1526
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:22:14 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

I keep hearing rumblings of a blockbuster trade scenario tonight involving JJ. I'm not opposed to it either. It could net a top 5 pick and possibly a 2nd at best and 3rd at worst. I am not a huge fan of paying franchise QB money for a WR, no matter who it is. Three 1st rounders would be incredible. Talk about room to maneuver between picking up a QBOTF/stud defensive players/trade down for next year's draft picks. Hitting on QBOTF is the most important thing. The Chiefs showed that you can lose a stud WR (Tyreek Hill) and be okay if you have an elite QB.

Agreed,

Would the Pats do JJ for #3?
He is expensive but a proven top-shelf NFL Receiver...
Probably need to sweeten with O'Neill, haha, another expensive, proven player

Or sweeten with next year's #1 or #2 pick, keep 11 and 23

The Pat's have even more needs than the Vikings. That deal makes no sense for them.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1527
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:27:44 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

I keep hearing rumblings of a blockbuster trade scenario tonight involving JJ. I'm not opposed to it either. It could net a top 5 pick and possibly a 2nd at best and 3rd at worst. I am not a huge fan of paying franchise QB money for a WR, no matter who it is. Three 1st rounders would be incredible. Talk about room to maneuver between picking up a QBOTF/stud defensive players/trade down for next year's draft picks. Hitting on QBOTF is the most important thing. The Chiefs showed that you can lose a stud WR (Tyreek Hill) and be okay if you have an elite QB.

Agreed,

The Pat's have even more needs than the Vikings. That deal makes no sense for them.

Agreed. What good would having JJ be for them if they don't have a QB better than Jacoby Brissett or Bailey Zappe?

They would be fools to do this. They will draft a QB.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1528
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:31:19 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agreed,

Yup. They're lined up to take their QB this year if they like Daniels or Maye.

Next year they may or may not have the shot at a QB. Plus next offseason they're expected to have the most cap room of any team, so they can fill a lot of holes.
Post #: 1529
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:42:23 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

All I know is this: If the Vikings give up both draft picks and a future to move up to #4 to select McCarthy, it could end up going down as the dumbest move since trading for Herschel Walker.

The only way he is there is if the Giants pass on him and neither of the QB desperate teams immediately behind us jump up to 9 or 10 to take him. I find that scenario to be highly unlikely.

I'm pretty sure the giants will pass on him at 6 assuming we don't trade up for him. I wouldn't mind a slight trade up from 11 to 8 to lock him up. I do like him a tiny bit more than Nix.

I've advocated a trade up to the Falcons in the past if McCarthy slides past the Giants.

Take a look at my edited post that you quoted pre edit. Nix will be better than McCarthy for at least the next two years, but I can see McCarthy catching and passing Nix in year 3. That is why big picture I prefer McCarthy. Payton is more desperate to win now and that is why I believe he prefers Nix.

It's 2024. Quarterbacks rarely get three years to prove themselves. The days of sitting on a bench for a year are long gone.

I expect McCarthy to start midseason this year. He will be OK, but Nix will be better this year and next.

I think Nix is the epitome of already as good as he will ever be. He will be immediately exposed when he doesn't have the luxury of throwing 65% of his passes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage in the NFL.

That is very reductive. He probably ran the most NFL-ready offense in college football. Even though they have different coordinators, it's nearly the exact same offense that Justin Herbert ran. It worked out just fine for him.

Either somebody filled you with that nonsense, or you made it up.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 4/25/2024 11:48:23 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1530
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:47:19 AM   
Dave Odle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agreed,

Agreed. What good would having JJ be for them if they don't have a QB better than Jacoby Brissett or Bailey Zappe?

They would be fools to do this. They will draft a QB.

Good point. That is definitely true.

Try using hindsight in the present.
Post #: 1531
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:50:15 AM   
kgdabom

Sweens I apologize for being over the top in our Nix discussion. Odds are he will bust. Odds are McCarthy will bust. Odds are Maye will bust. Maybe we can beat the odds with whoever we get.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1532
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 11:54:39 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That is very reductive. He probably ran the most NFL-ready offense in college football. Even though they have different coordinators, it's nearly the exact same offense that Justin Herbert ran. It worked out just fine for him.

Kurt Warner did a 2 part breakdown on Bo and IMO was hard on him. However when he summed it all up in the end he flat out loved him. He said he ran the most pro style offense of all the top QBs. So you're in good company believing that.
Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u4IbevSgO8&t=15s

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXkHHot6TcA

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1533
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 12:00:31 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Air Raid Spread is absolutely nothing like an NFL offense. It's a statistical fact that 67% of Nix’s passes were behind the LOS or between 0-10 yards.

Post #: 1534
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 12:01:55 PM   
David Levine

Definitely the most Arena League offense in college football.
Post #: 1535
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 12:15:52 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Air Raid Spread is absolutely nothing like an NFL offense. It's a statistical fact that 67% of Nix’s passes were behind the LOS or between 0-10 yards.

Check out the Warner Breakdown. He explains it.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1536
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 12:18:54 PM   
Todd M

What does Josh Metellus mean when he says:

“Great day to be a Vikings fan. Tired of holding secrets”
Post #: 1537
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 12:21:54 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agreed,

Yup. They're lined up to take their QB this year if they like Daniels or Maye.

Next year they may or may not have the shot at a QB. Plus next offseason they're expected to have the most cap room of any team, so they can fill a lot of holes.

So you're saying there's a chance! haha
Post #: 1538
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 12:27:46 PM   
Todd M

I speculated the other day they were holding back on us.
Post #: 1539
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 12:35:11 PM   
Chris Olson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Why would Metellus know anything?
Post #: 1540
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 12:36:04 PM  1 votes
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

quote:

Why would Metellus know anything?

That was one question I had.
Post #: 1541
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 12:36:51 PM   
Murph

Merry Christmas and Happy Drake Maye day!

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 1542
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 12:37:01 PM   
David Levine

quote:

He's probably as tired of the speculation as the rest of us.
Post #: 1543
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 12:38:45 PM   
Todd M

I’ll stick with the 2 things I guessed at…we have a trade up set up, and JJ has agreed to an extension.

We’ll be the talk of day 1.
Post #: 1544
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 12:58:03 PM   
Dave Odle

2022-2023 Stats

Here are the last two years of college for QB's who are not the top 3. What's fascinating is that while Mahomes had some gaudy stats his last season, his W-L record at Texas Tech for the last two seasons was not good at all (7-6 and 5-7). I don't think anyone really predicted him being what he would eventually become. Funny thing is that all of these QB's are 6' 2'' (with the exception of Rattler). It just goes to show that you never know what will become of these 1sr round QB's. So much depends on natural talent, coaching, team environment, etc. I'm higher on Penix than McCarthy. I think he could end up being the surprise of the year (out of this tier of QB's).

Mahomes 6' 2" Years Record Completion Percentage Passing Yards TD Int.
2015 7-6 63.5% 4,653 36 15
2016 5-7 65.7% 5,052 41 10

Nix 6' 2" 2022 10-3 71.9% 3,593 29 7
2023 12-2 77.4% 4,508 45 3

McCarthy 6' 2" 2022 12-1 64.6% 2,719 22 5
2023 15-0 72.3% 2,991 22 4

Penix 6' 2" 2022 11-2 65.3% 4,641 31 8
2023 14-1 65.4% 4,903 36 11

Rattler 6' 0" 2022 8-5 66.2% 3,026 18 12
2023 5-7 68.9% 3,186 19 8

Post #: 1545
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 12:58:26 PM   
Todd M

It feels like up to 3 happens if Wash takes Daniels. If Wash pivots and takes Maye we have the Chargers lined up at 5 to gladly take some picks from us for QB4.
Post #: 1546
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 1:04:23 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

I have no clue what that means.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1547
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 1:08:24 PM   
kgdabom

I've got a University of Michigan Polo shirt that my wife mistakenly bought me thinking it was Minnesota. I'm going to be wearing it in anticipation of us drafting JJ McCarthy hopefully at 8 or later.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1548
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 1:13:41 PM   
Dave Odle

quote:

I've got a University of Michigan Polo shirt that my wife mistakenly bought me thinking it was Minnesota. I'm going to be wearing it in anticipation of us drafting JJ McCarthy hopefully at 8 or later.

Honestly, it's McCarthy's meteoric ascent from a projected 2nd rounder to a top 5 pick that really scares me; but that's the beauty of the draft. You just never know until at least a year later. There are lots of 1st round picks who flame out. Sam Darnold is one of them and our placeholder right now.

Post #: 1549
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/25/2024 1:17:56 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Honestly, it's McCarthy's meteoric ascent from a projected 2nd rounder to a top 5 pick that really scares me; but that's the beauty of the draft. You just never know until at least a year later. There are lots of 1st round picks who flame out. Sam Darnold is one of them and our placeholder right now.

The numbers for McCarthy are ridiculously good, but just at low volume. I think he is fine at 11 and consider his age he might even be worth a small trade up. I don't think his arm will fall off throwing 30-40 passes a game instead of 20.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1550
Page:   <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode