Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2024 Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  79 80 [81] 82 83   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 9:25:11 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: BisonFan

I've let the first round picks sink in and I still can't believe how fortunate we were to get both McCarthy and Turner. Yeah we gave up a lot but we are setting up for a serious run in 2025. Let's find a hidden gem today. SKOL!

no matter how many mccarthy highlights i watch, i just can't get impressed with him...even his highlights are underwhelming...his receivers seem to make the adjustments needed to catch the pass....

i hope that o'connell gives him a year to make the transition to the nfl...and for sure, i hope that he's a success....

it will be fun to watch darnold - anyone, but cousins, really...let mullins go - there's something about that guy that grosses me out....

McCarthy is kind of Robo QB. His plays aren't all that splashy, but check the stats. He is deadly efficient and comes up with the big play almost every time he needs one. He is a ++ athlete with a cannon arm, and has years to improve as well. He was a great choice.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2001
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 9:26:28 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Some nice players still out there for #108

I like DE/DT Brandon Dorlus from Oregon. And about 4-5 nice CBs left on the board.

thor likes cam hart cb, too....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2002
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 10:03:14 AM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Some nice players still out there for #108

I like DE/DT Brandon Dorlus from Oregon. And about 4-5 nice CBs left on the board.

What do you like about Dorius?

At CB, it'd be funny if they picked Tampa (supposedly he didn't run well, pre-draft). But if they don't have a strong opinion, and plan to take a CB, they could trade down a few slots and still have a decent selection.

I'm fine with JJ at QB. It's so hard to project QBs, but he was somewhere in the top 4. Now we wait and see how they all develop.

I'm stoked about Turner. He's a better athlete than Latu or Verse, longer arms and wingspan, and he's 2 years younger. Great production in the toughest conference, but clear ways to improve. Best defensive prospect in the draft, and I don't think it's close.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/dallas-turner

< Message edited by DavidAOlson -- 4/27/2024 10:04:30 AM >

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 2003
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 11:32:46 AM   
DavidAOlson

CB Kyrie Jackson

I guess they had a preference.

FWIW Dorius goes next.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 2004
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 11:39:57 AM   
joejitsu

Corner is a need, but we need to get bigger along the lines.
Post #: 2005
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 12:04:46 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

CB Kyrie Jackson

FWIW Dorius goes next.

6'-4", 194

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2006
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 12:05:51 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

Or simply get better.

The DL is a train wreck. Flores disguised that by setting some record for fewest snaps by defensive linemen. Will see what he conjures up.

Right now the IOL is woeful and the OL backups outside of Quisenberry are practice squad types. I guess Feeney is your typical journeyman backup center.

Too many needs to address this offseason. Looks like they took a flyer on a somewhat raw CB who could transition into another hybrid something or other.
Post #: 2007
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 12:15:59 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

Or simply get better.

The DL is a train wreck. Flores disguised that by setting some record for fewest snaps by defensive linemen. Will see what he conjures up.

Right now the IOL is woeful and the OL backups outside of Quisenberry are practice squad types. I guess Feeney is your typical journeyman backup center.

Too many needs to address this offseason. Looks like they took a flyer on a somewhat raw CB who could transition into another hybrid something or other.

Agreed. I watched a lot of Pac football, and he didn’t really stand out, but he held his own. Flores might be able to bring out the best of him. I’m just concerned about the obvious weaknesses of our o and d lines. Maybe with free agency and all the dough we have, it will be addressed.
Post #: 2008
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 12:16:52 PM   
BisonFan

I agree that McCarthy looks a little bit robotic, but then again I thought Brady did too and I would take those results all day long.
Post #: 2009
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 12:19:19 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: BisonFan

I agree that McCarthy looks a little bit robotic, but then again I thought Brady did too and I would take those results all day long.

Hell, yes! I have high hopes for him.
Post #: 2010
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 12:21:10 PM   
BisonFan

Ok, need a little help. Meant my last message to respond to the McCarthy statement to my earlier statement. I hit reply before my statement, but it started a new line. What am I missing?
Post #: 2011
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 12:24:58 PM   
joejitsu

We don’t have a pick until the sixth round. That’s a bit of a wait.
Post #: 2012
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 12:37:38 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

CB Kyrie Jackson

FWIW Dorius goes next.

6'-4", 194

Listening to NFL radio, the coaches at Alabama said he was the most talented guy in the DBack room when he was there. Obviously had some problems but seemed to get straightened out at Oregon.

Flores signed off on him(per Sirius guys) so I think that is a good sign. He will be 25 when season starts.
Post #: 2013
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 12:42:16 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Or simply get better.

Agreed. I watched a lot of Pac football, and he didn’t really stand out, but he held his own. Flores might be able to bring out the best of him. I’m just concerned about the obvious weaknesses of our o and d lines. Maybe with free agency and all the dough we have, it will be addressed.

Our division has loaded up on talented WRs. I like the Jackson pick. We need someone who can cover.

Maybe we can get Northern Iowa DLineman later. Or there is center from Arkansas(Limmer).
Post #: 2014
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 1:10:29 PM   
Todd M

A huge physical corner for Flores to coach up. Nice pickup.
Post #: 2015
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 1:31:45 PM   
Bill Johanesen

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Khyree-Jackson-DB-Alabama (his time at Oregon is included)
Post #: 2016
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 1:32:35 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Hey, Todd. Do you like him as a corner or a safety?
Post #: 2017
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 1:40:06 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Rundown of Dallas Turner courtesy of DL on the general Vikes thread. New age descriptions!

Strengths
• Sports a lean, flexible frame with elite proportional length and reach.
• Has an uncommon combination of hyper-elite explosiveness and bend capacity.
• With his brisk long-strider explosiveness, can teleport to the apex off the snap.
• Can leverage elite burst and length into devastating bouts of raw power capacity.
• Grew more consistent at leveraging base and attacking with power exertions in 2023.
• Improved play strength in 2023, which showed with his ability to fight through blocks.
• Has the searing lateral agility to work across face in the blink of an eye and invade gaps.
• Loose flexibility allows him to naturally acquire leverage and pad level on the attack.
• Has shown he can dip under the corner while sustaining long-strider acceleration.
Can shrink his surface area and pinch incredibly tight angles as a finesse rusher.
• Improved at leveraging his base on speed rushes and using initial angles to bait tackles.
• Flashes high-end rush nuance with euro-steps, cross-chops, swipes, and manipulation.
• Alert, active run defender who knows how to establish half-man relationships.
• Has overwhelming pursuit range with his elite long-strider athleticism, reach, and motor.
• With speed, length, and fluidity, has the versatility to disguise rushes and play coverage.
Post #: 2018
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 1:42:39 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

Rundown of Dallas Turner courtesy of DL on the general Vikes thread. New age descriptions!

Strengths
• With his brisk long-strider explosiveness, can teleport to the apex off the snap.
• Can leverage elite burst and length into devastating bouts of raw power capacity.
• Grew more consistent at leveraging base and attacking with power exertions in 2023.
• Improved play strength in 2023, which showed with his ability to fight through blocks.
• Has the searing lateral agility to work across face in the blink of an eye and invade gaps.
• Loose flexibility allows him to naturally acquire leverage and pad level on the attack.
• Has shown he can dip under the corner while sustaining long-strider acceleration.
Can shrink his surface area and pinch incredibly tight angles as a finesse rusher.
• Improved at leveraging his base on speed rushes and using initial angles to bait tackles.
• Flashes high-end rush nuance with euro-steps, cross-chops, swipes, and manipulation.
• Has overwhelming pursuit range with his elite long-strider athleticism, reach, and motor.
• With speed, length, and fluidity, has the versatility to disguise rushes and play coverage.

He’s a great player. So twitchy and fast. But, he has an injury history that is concerning. I wish he was 10 pounds heavier, but he’s a nice player for where we picked him.
Post #: 2019
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 1:53:13 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Still want a lineman whose descriptions may include:

• The missing link between caveman and human.
• Initial punch is an earth rattling 1.5 magnitude earthquake.
• Clubber Lang and Ivan Drago mentality.
• Weaponizes phone booth while engaging next level of defense.
Post #: 2020
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 1:54:10 PM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Hey, Todd. Do you like him as a corner or a safety?

I’d love to see him groomed into a safety.
Post #: 2021
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 2:01:51 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Strengths

He’s a great player. So twitchy and fast. But, he has an injury history that is concerning. I wish he was 10 pounds heavier, but he’s a nice player for where we picked him.

Surgery for an undisclosed injury in the 2023 offseason?
Post #: 2022
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 2:04:12 PM   
Todd M

Interesting read about Payton conference calling us and the Raiders advising no one trade up and start a frenzie. Being coy off the table bc they all had their eyes on different guys. Then Atlanta ****ed it up. Cost us 2 picks. The Raiders their QB. Denver was the one not affected interestingly.
Post #: 2023
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 2:09:20 PM   
Bill Johanesen

I don't have ESPN+ but saw this out there:

Walder: Vikings-Jets trade good move for both teams (ESPN+)
This is when it makes sense to trade up. A small move to land a sliding quarterback when you're a QB-needy team with other QB-needy teams sitting right behind you. The Vikings just altered the course of their franchise for, relative to other quarterback trade-ups, a cheap price. The Vikings paid an extra fourth-round pick's worth of value to move up the one spot, according to ESPN's draft pick valuations. But we can't judge trade-ups for quarterbacks on the same scale as everything else; the upside of a QB hitting is like no other position -- it makes sense to pay more for it.

Walder: Vikings' second trade not nearly as good as the first (ESPN+)
If we assume future picks are in the middle of the round and apply a 10% discount, Minnesota surrendered an early second-round pick of extra value to select Alabama edge Dallas Turner. That's bad! By my count, out of 93 first-round non-QB trades since 2004, this is the ninth-most-expensive trade-up according to ESPN draft pick valuations, despite it occurring in the middle of the round. And that's probably generous because the Vikings have a rookie QB -- which means there's a decent chance they are drafting at the beginning of rounds next year. And they shouldn't be advancing draft picks in time because they aren't Super Bowl contenders right now!
Post #: 2024
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 2:10:21 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

quote:

quote:

Strengths

Surgery for an undisclosed injury in the 2023 offseason?

Yeah. I read that at the combine they found an injury that was not disclosed by the Alabama medical staff. Who knows how bad it is, but I don't like that it was kept quiet, even with regarding HIPPA. Football players live and die on their medical histories.
Post #: 2025
Page:   <<   < prev  79 80 [81] 82 83   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  79 80 [81] 82 83   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode