Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2024 Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  78 79 [80] 81 82   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 4:06:25 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Post from January. Even more relevant now:

Still bringing the good stuff! Thank you!
Post #: 1976
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 4:20:01 PM   
David Levine

Watch J.J. McCarthy get the call from the Vikings

(These are really great)

From McCarthy's house:
https://twitter.com/UMichFootball/status/1783685505277976796

From the Vikings War Room:
https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/1783726449251221522
Post #: 1977
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 4:22:10 PM   
David Levine

"Every QB in this class that I interacted with wanted to go to Minnesota..."

https://www.vikings.com/video/mccarthy-it-s-an-amazing-honor-to-be-selected-by-the-vikings
Post #: 1978
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 4:30:38 PM   
Todd M

quote:

https://www.vikings.com/video/mccarthy-it-s-an-amazing-honor-to-be-selected-by-the-vikings

Just commented on that in the other thread. Just love this young man already.
Post #: 1979
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 4:34:50 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

Just commented on that in the other thread. Just love this young man already.

Tremendous maturity for a 21 year-old.

Kid is going to be a sponge.
Post #: 1980
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 5:02:32 PM   
TJSweens

I was watching NFL Network this morning. One of the analysts talked about going to a ceremony at Michigan. He asked McCarthy where he hoped to go. McCarthy answered "Minnesota. I'm desperate to get to Minnesota." Another said McCarthy told him he'd run through a wall for KOC.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1981
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 5:35:52 PM   
Dave Odle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

IMO, the Vikings will finish in last place in 2024 unless Sam Darnold plays well.

Not a very bold prediction.

We could've drafted Caleb Williams and that would still be the likely result.

The Lions are (gulp) legit.

The Packers unfortunately are as well.

The Bears have had a tremendous offseason. Their defense might hold them back, but all Caleb has to be is better than Fields and they have a ton of firepower on offense.

This offseason is setting us up for the next "x" years, its not about winning a SB this season.

He's got Justin Jefferson, Aaron Jones and TJ Hockenson. Finish in last place in 2024 and he'll be on a short leash to start the 2025 campaign.

McCarthy is Jim Harbaugh II. He'll be a mediocre, serviceable quarterback. Don't expect any miracles.

McCarthy has a much better arm than Harbaugh. And a better athlete.

The guy really wanted to be here. Usually draft picks say that about every team but he singled out the Vikings and KOC and McNown.

I want to be there as well. It doesn't mean I can play quarterback in the NFL.

Brad, I feel like you're selling yourself short here. You need to dream big.

Try using hindsight in the present.
Post #: 1982
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 5:43:21 PM   
Dave Odle

Kidding, kidding!

Post #: 1983
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 5:47:23 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I was watching NFL Network this morning. One of the analysts talked about going to a ceremony at Michigan. He asked McCarthy where he hoped to go. McCarthy answered "Minnesota. I'm desperate to get to Minnesota." Another said McCarthy told him he'd run through a wall for KOC.

The athletic ability and intangibles are there. I think we are on to something here.
Post #: 1984
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 5:49:32 PM   
Dave Odle

I think we did well in the draft. It feels weird to have so few picks, but I think of all the years where we've taken gambles on mid-round after mid-round picks that have been stock-piled w/ hardly any results. This seems like a good compromise of need and quality.

Post #: 1985
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 5:53:13 PM   
Dave Odle

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Raiders take a shot at Rattler in the 2nd here.

Going to be a pretty boring night for us, though.

So we have QB, RB, and most of the O-line figured out. We could probably use a #3 WR w/ Osborn gone, but Powell looked pretty good. The D should be much better w/ Flores running it. We need another good CB. Overall, we've got some good building blocks.

< Message edited by Dave Odle -- 4/26/2024 5:58:23 PM >

Post #: 1986
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 7:11:44 PM   
joejitsu

I really wanted JPJ to be our next center. But I knew he wouldn’t make it to us. I’m really concerned that we’re still weak on the interior.
Post #: 1987
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 7:19:36 PM   
joejitsu

We still need a big dt, a big guard, and a center that doesn’t end up in the backfield on every dropback. I hope we can find a way to address that before opening day!
Post #: 1988
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 7:21:17 PM   
joejitsu

I like Nubin. NYG got a good player.
Post #: 1989
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 8:26:11 PM   
David Levine

2024 NFL draft: Best, worst first-round picks, trades, QBs

What is your favorite QB landing spot?

Reid:
J.J. McCarthy to the Vikings at No. 10. I think McCarthy really needed to go to a team that could slow-play his development, and in that sense, he couldn't have landed in a better spot. With Sam Darnold able to start next season, Minnesota will be able to stay patient with its QB of the future. And the Vikings already have a full arsenal of playmakers to help McCarthy develop once he's ready to take over as the full-time starter.

What is your best prediction about one of these QBs and/or his team fit?

Yates:
McCarthy will become an instant starter in Minnesota and the Vikings will finish with a winning record. Williams might be the rookie quarterback in the best situation, but McCarthy is also in a very good spot. With arguably the best receiver in the league to throw to in Justin Jefferson and a collection of very good skill players beyond that, McCarthy should post big-time numbers right away. And he'll be well protected with a standout tackle duo.

What was the best trade up, down or for a player during Round 1?

Miller:
The Vikings trading up to No. 17 from No. 23 for Alabama edge rusher Dallas Turner. The Vikings made two trades up the board in the first round, but I like the second move the most. Turner was my No. 7 overall player in the class, and Minnesota landed him at No. 17 before the run on defensive ends happened. It was a timely and savvy trade up to get ahead of the Rams (No. 19), plus a real steal on value.

Reid: Agreed on the Vikings moving up to No. 17 for Turner. GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah was aggressive in adding two players at spots of need Thursday. The Vikings desperately needed to come out of this draft with a QB of the future, and they did that with McCarthy. But the more surprising move came when the team traded up to get Turner, landing my top-ranked defensive player in the class. Minnesota arguably had the best first round of any team.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/40025257/2024-nfl-draft-best-worst-first-round-picks-trades-quarterbacks
Post #: 1990
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 9:49:45 PM   
Dave Odle

quote:

2024 NFL draft: Best, worst first-round picks, trades, QBs

What is your favorite QB landing spot?

Reid:
J.J. McCarthy to the Vikings at No. 10. I think McCarthy really needed to go to a team that could slow-play his development, and in that sense, he couldn't have landed in a better spot. With Sam Darnold able to start next season, Minnesota will be able to stay patient with its QB of the future. And the Vikings already have a full arsenal of playmakers to help McCarthy develop once he's ready to take over as the full-time starter.

What is your best prediction about one of these QBs and/or his team fit?

Yates:
McCarthy will become an instant starter in Minnesota and the Vikings will finish with a winning record. Williams might be the rookie quarterback in the best situation, but McCarthy is also in a very good spot. With arguably the best receiver in the league to throw to in Justin Jefferson and a collection of very good skill players beyond that, McCarthy should post big-time numbers right away. And he'll be well protected with a standout tackle duo.

What was the best trade up, down or for a player during Round 1?

Miller:
The Vikings trading up to No. 17 from No. 23 for Alabama edge rusher Dallas Turner. The Vikings made two trades up the board in the first round, but I like the second move the most. Turner was my No. 7 overall player in the class, and Minnesota landed him at No. 17 before the run on defensive ends happened. It was a timely and savvy trade up to get ahead of the Rams (No. 19), plus a real steal on value.

Reid: Agreed on the Vikings moving up to No. 17 for Turner. GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah was aggressive in adding two players at spots of need Thursday. The Vikings desperately needed to come out of this draft with a QB of the future, and they did that with McCarthy. But the more surprising move came when the team traded up to get Turner, landing my top-ranked defensive player in the class. Minnesota arguably had the best first round of any team.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/40025257/2024-nfl-draft-best-worst-first-round-picks-trades-quarterbacks

How much more could you ask for? Knowing you can't fill every position w/ a blue chip starter through FA and the draft, we knew we had to replace Danielle Hunter and Kirk Cousins. Darnold took the sting out of absolutely having nobody as a starting QB, but this was really good. Inspired, I would even say. As for what McCarthy will be, the kid just turned 21. Turner, as well. A lot of potential and ceiling for being so young.

Post #: 1991
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 11:49:22 PM   
Mark Anderson

Some nice players still out there for #108

I like DE/DT Brandon Dorlus from Oregon. And about 4-5 nice CBs left on the board.
Post #: 1992
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 11:49:44 PM   
marty

The Snake is still available.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1993
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 11:52:22 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Denny Green might have done it. Competition for the most important position.
Post #: 1994
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 1:03:28 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Rattler?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1995
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 6:28:26 AM   
BisonFan

I've let the first round picks sink in and I still can't believe how fortunate we were to get both McCarthy and Turner. Yeah we gave up a lot but we are setting up for a serious run in 2025. Let's find a hidden gem today. SKOL!
Post #: 1996
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 8:34:44 AM   
Bill Johanesen

With what little we have left in the draft, go IOL and DL. Maybe take a flyer on a CB. Get the phones cranked up for more IOL and DL.
Post #: 1997
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 8:39:24 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Latu seemed more like a consolation prize if you needed an edge rusher desperately. Him going before Turner with that looming neck injury was very shocking. Indy has Atl to thank or they would be receiving some heavy scrutiny as well.

Latu was the best pass rusher and defender in this draft and it wasn't close, but....
The neck condition is scary as hell.

You like to throw your opinions out there like they are facts.

It's my opinion, but backed up by stats. I prefer Turner, but Latu is one amazing player.

Like your take on Nix as the favorite to win ROY?

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1998
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 8:45:43 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Latu seemed more like a consolation prize if you needed an edge rusher desperately. Him going before Turner with that looming neck injury was very shocking. Indy has Atl to thank or they would be receiving some heavy scrutiny as well.

Latu was the best pass rusher and defender in this draft and it wasn't close, but....
The neck condition is scary as hell.

You like to throw your opinions out there like they are facts.

It's my opinion, but backed up by stats. I prefer Turner, but Latu is one amazing player.

Like your take on Nix as the favorite to win ROY?

I got carried away and said that was wrong about a million posts ago. Nice of you to beat a dead horse. I won't be surprised if he wins it though.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1999
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/27/2024 9:14:30 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: BisonFan

I've let the first round picks sink in and I still can't believe how fortunate we were to get both McCarthy and Turner. Yeah we gave up a lot but we are setting up for a serious run in 2025. Let's find a hidden gem today. SKOL!

no matter how many mccarthy highlights i watch, i just can't get impressed with him...even his highlights are underwhelming...his receivers seem to make the adjustments needed to catch the pass....

i hope that o'connell gives him a year to make the transition to the nfl...and for sure, i hope that he's a success....

it will be fun to watch darnold - anyone, but cousins, really...let mullins go - there's something about that guy that grosses me out....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2000
Page:   <<   < prev  78 79 [80] 81 82   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  78 79 [80] 81 82   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode