Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2024 Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  77 78 [79] 80 81   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 12:00:23 PM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Purple Shades Off reposted
Coach KO
@KOC4COTY
·
2h
CJ Stroud said last night that Jonathan Greenard played a big role in mentoring DROTY Will Anderson Jr last season. He expects the same to happen on the Vikings with Dallas Turner.

Not really a shock that he's the standout favorite for DROTY.

Dallas Turner +450
Laiatu Latu +800
Jared Verse +1000
Quinyon Mitchell +1000

He was the top rated defensive player on the consensus board, but it's also a very good situation for him:
His DC will put him in a position to make splash plays, which will get him attention.
Teams can't focus on Turner because of Greenard.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 1951
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 12:02:33 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

quote:

Coach KO
@KOC4COTY
·
2h
CJ Stroud said last night that Jonathan Greenard played a big role in mentoring DROTY Will Anderson Jr last season. He expects the same to happen on the Vikings with Dallas Turner.

Dallas Turner +450
Laiatu Latu +800
Jared Verse +1000
Quinyon Mitchell +1000

He was the top rated defensive player on the consensus board, but it's also a very good situation for him:
His DC will put him in a position to make splash plays, which will get him attention.

I'm hearing that Turner will only play on likely passing downs. That may diminish his chances a bit.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1952
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 12:05:57 PM   
Todd M

I’d focus the rest of our draft picks, UDFA, next years FA and draft on DB’s and O/D linemen.
Post #: 1953
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 12:08:07 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Coach KO
@KOC4COTY
·
2h

Dallas Turner +450
Laiatu Latu +800
Jared Verse +1000
Quinyon Mitchell +1000

I'm hearing that Turner will only play on likely passing downs. That may diminish his chances a bit.

From another chat site?

I say no way.
Post #: 1954
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 12:27:55 PM  1 votes
Brad H

What quarterback will we be drafting in 2025?

Time to start the thread.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1955
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 12:28:04 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

quote:

quote:

Coach KO
@KOC4COTY
·
2h

Dallas Turner +450
Laiatu Latu +800
Jared Verse +1000
Quinyon Mitchell +1000

From another chat site?

I say no way.

On the YouTubes like Skor North/Purple Daily, Purple insider stuff like that. He's a bit light for defending the run. Maybe they're wrong.

I hope he's ready to go 3 downs right off the bat. With the Vikings defense is there much chance that Greenard, Van Ginkel, Cashman and Turner can all play at the same time? I get confused.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1956
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 12:29:28 PM   
Murph

quote:

I’d focus the rest of our draft picks, UDFA, next years FA and draft on DB’s and O/D linemen.

100% Todd!

I figure we are on a 2-3 year plan, then watch out!

Fingers crossed.

I'm cautiously optimistic for the long term for the first time in ages.

< Message edited by Murph -- 4/26/2024 12:33:26 PM >

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 1957
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 1:19:50 PM   
marty

I think OROY will be between Williams and Harrison, Williams running away with it.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1958
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 1:21:24 PM   
marty

I think Darnold will continue to be a turnover machine, will be slightly better than Mullens.

Once McCarthy starts, I think he will be awful at first, but then will take the team on a playoff run his 2nd year, maybe to a Super Bowl win.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1959
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 1:23:11 PM   
marty

I think McCarthy will be like Eli, pretty average in the regular season, but will turn it up in the playoffs.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1960
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 1:23:26 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Simms with a lengthy breakdown of Turner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqa72USxh1s

Takeaways: freakish athletic traits. Expect coaching to unlock techniques. Should be an exceptional pro.

Was it just me, he seemed to be mumbling with a sour look all the way to the podium … thought maybe he was disappointed he didn’t go sooner. So add chip on the shoulder.

Maybe he’s angry about being named Dallas, 10X worse than Sue.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1961
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 1:23:58 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I think Darnold will continue to be a turnover machine, will be slightly better than Mullens.

Once McCarthy starts, I think he will be awful at first, but then will take the team on a playoff run his 2nd year, maybe to a Super Bowl win.

I'm not expecting McCarthy to be terrible. Inconsistent maybe.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1962
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 2:24:43 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Coach KO
@KOC4COTY
·
2h

Dallas Turner +450
Laiatu Latu +800
Jared Verse +1000
Quinyon Mitchell +1000

From another chat site?

I say no way.

On the YouTubes like Skor North/Purple Daily, Purple insider stuff like that. He's a bit light for defending the run. Maybe they're wrong.

I hope he's ready to go 3 downs right off the bat. With the Vikings defense is there much chance that Greenard, Van Ginkel, Cashman and Turner can all play at the same time? I get confused.

Van Ginkel and Cashman can play ILB and rush the passer. Many moveable parts now.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1963
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 2:37:16 PM   
marty

I am expecting McCarthy to be inconsistent, sometimes terrible if he plays this season. I see a 6-10 season, or worse this coming season.

Williams and Love will be top QBs this year, in the 4-8 range.

But in 2025, the Vikings will be the team that sneaks up on these teams and beats them.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1964
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 2:47:34 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Latu seemed more like a consolation prize if you needed an edge rusher desperately. Him going before Turner with that looming neck injury was very shocking. Indy has Atl to thank or they would be receiving some heavy scrutiny as well.

Latu was the best pass rusher and defender in this draft and it wasn't close, but....
The neck condition is scary as hell.

You like to throw your opinions out there like they are facts.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1965
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 2:47:46 PM   
David Levine

10. Minnesota Vikings (from NYJ): J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan

What an offseason for the Vikings. After making a big pre-draft move, Minnesota was able to land a quarterback (and climb one spot) without surrendering its other first-round pick. (The Vikings sent Nos. 11, 129 and 157 to the Jets for this spot and No. 203.) All this mere months after Minnesota lost Cousins, its previous franchise QB.

McCarthy’s skill set has had NFL evaluators on alert for three years, though his work inside Michigan’s run-heavy offense made it very difficult to totally project what he’ll be immediately in the NFL. A very tough, aggressive passer in the mold of his former coach (Harbaugh), McCarthy’s an unquestioned winner (63-3 record since high school).

He may need to learn behind Sam Darnold for a minute, but this is a great long-term fit with Kevin O’Connell — and he could be more ready early on than some believe.

Grade: A

17. Minnesota Vikings (from JAX): Dallas Turner, Edge, Alabama

After losing Danielle Hunter in free agency, the Vikings needed some pass-rush punch. So, Minnesota jumped up six spots (sending Nos. 23 and 167 plus third- and fourth-round picks in 2025 to Jacksonville) and grabbed perhaps the draft’s most athletic pass rusher. Turner was considered by many to be a possible top-10 pick. Edge was a need for the Vikings, too, probably equal to cornerback.

Turner (6-2, 247) was a consensus first-team All-American last season after posting 11.0 sacks, 15.5 tackles for loss and two forced fumbles. He solidified his first-round status with an impressive combine (4.46 40-yard dash, 40 1/2-inch vertical, 34 3/8-inch arms). He should replace Hunter quite nicely.

Grade: A

https://theathletic.com/5436808/2024/04/25/nfl-draft-grades-2024-round-1/
Post #: 1966
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 2:50:53 PM   
David Levine

Which pick left you shaking your head?

Kahler:
I was really surprised the Giants didn’t pick McCarthy. When a staff picks a quarterback high, they typically get a chance to reset their timeline and buy themselves a season or two as the rookie gets a chance to develop. That’s why the move to draft wide receiver Malik Nabers surprised me. The quarterback plan in New York is still very much unclear, and that reflects on the job security of head coach Brian Daboll and GM Joe Schoen.

Keefer: It felt like the Broncos reached at No. 12 for Nix, the sixth quarterback taken in the top 12. The need was there for Denver, and it’s obvious what NFL teams think of next year’s QB class — “No thanks,” they’re saying — but Nix had mostly second-round grades and this feels like a stretch. This is what happens when teams are forced to chase mistakes: they gamble. The Broncos desperately need a QB on a rookie contract because they’re paying Russell Wilson’s mammoth 2024 salary with the Steelers. This pick seems to indicate they were QB-or-bust on Thursday night, and forcing a selection — especially at the most vital position on the field — rarely works out in the long run. Assuming Nix is the starter for most of the season in Denver, it’ll be the first time in his career that Payton has had to lean this heavily on a rookie quarterback.

Pompei: It was surprising to see the Falcons take Penix with the eighth pick. On the one hand, you can’t overinvest in the quarterback position, and their other quarterback is 35 years old and coming off an Achilles tear. But committing $180 million to Kirk Cousins and then committing a first-round pick to Penix sent a confusing message — especially when they passed on players who could have helped maximize Cousins. If they didn’t think another player was worthy of the eighth pick, the Falcons probably could have found a dance partner for a trade-down. But if Penix becomes the player they apparently think he will, Atlanta will be laughing.

https://theathletic.com/5448011/2024/04/26/nfl-draft-first-round-reaction-penix/
Post #: 1967
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 2:52:56 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

Latu seemed more like a consolation prize if you needed an edge rusher desperately. Him going before Turner with that looming neck injury was very shocking. Indy has Atl to thank or they would be receiving some heavy scrutiny as well.

Latu was the best pass rusher and defender in this draft and it wasn't close, but....
The neck condition is scary as hell.

You like to throw your opinions out there like they are facts.

It's my opinion, but backed up by stats. I prefer Turner, but Latu is one amazing player.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1968
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 2:53:34 PM   
David Levine

Which NFL Draft QB has the best chance to succeed? Ranking Caleb Williams, J.J. McCarthy and others

1. Caleb Williams, Bears

2. J.J. McCarthy, Vikings

Why McCarthy can succeed
Head coach Kevin O’Connell runs a user-friendly system, and all systems are extra user-friendly when they have Justin Jefferson, Jordan Addison, T.J. Hockenson and Aaron Jones.

McCarthy has been universally praised for his leadership and personality, so he should be in sync with O’Connell from the start. McCarthy has a strong arm and has displayed an it-factor on the field, notably in the Rose Bowl comeback against Alabama.

Why McCarthy can fail

McCarthy was still viewed as the biggest projection of the group. Michigan’s system didn’t have many pro-style attributes, and McCarthy wasn’t asked to open it up and win the game through the air. Now, he’ll go from sprinkling in the occasional NFL throw to doing it on a down-by-down basis.

3. Jayden Daniels, Commanders

4. Drake Maye, Patriots

5. Michael Penix Jr., Falcons

6. Bo Nix, Broncos

https://theathletic.com/5448148/2024/04/26/nfl-draft-quaterbacks-caleb-williams-drake-maye/
Post #: 1969
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 2:59:57 PM   
David Levine

Post from January. Even more relevant now:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Nick Miller’s Database on the Top Quarterbacks in the 2024 Draft Class

A couple days ago, Nick Miller from Climbing The Pocket created a very insightful spreadsheet featuring some advanced statistics for each of the top six quarterbacks that I just mentioned. The database contains several different categories including broad data, 3rd and 7+, 3rd and 4th down accuracy, passing depth of target + PFF grades, accuracy on 10-19 air yards, on target percentage, and quarterback scrambling effectiveness.

There are a lot of different takeaways that one can come away with here, however I will say that I personally thought J.J. McCarthy’s advanced stats looked surprisingly good compared to some other prospects who are widely considered to be better than him. I’ve seen some people on Twitter/X say that J.J. McCarthy is someone who won’t be drafted until later in the first round. I wouldn’t be surprised if McCarthy is a top 15 pick. Especially with teams like Atlanta, Minnesota, Las Vegas, and Denver all needing quarterbacks.

quote:

J.J. McCarthy's advanced stats look very good here. On 3rd and 7+ McCarthy ranks:

#1 in 1st down/att %
#1 in NFL PR
#2 in comp %
#2 in yard/attempt

quote:

Interesting #'s.....the ones I can understand that stand out for me is how accurate McCarthy is when moving/scrambling. I expected he would be significantly behind the others in total attempts but he's not. Nix is most accurate overall but that may reflect their offense, which depended on short passes. Nix does not appear to be as mobile as McCarthy.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19OPA99nqAenfDUX3NzsyEekbP9EBYUGEBtQqGamflyo/edit#gid=0

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2024/1/26/24049569/nick-millers-database-on-the-top-quarterbacks-in-the-2024-draft-class
Post #: 1970
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 3:01:25 PM   
David Levine

Also worth noting: McCarthy had the best passer rating in the country from outside the pocket.
Post #: 1971
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 3:20:38 PM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Simms with a lengthy breakdown of Turner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqa72USxh1s

Takeaways: freakish athletic traits. Expect coaching to unlock techniques. Should be an exceptional pro.

Was it just me, he seemed to be mumbling with a sour look all the way to the podium … thought maybe he was disappointed he didn’t go sooner. So add chip on the shoulder.

Maybe he’s angry about being named Dallas, 10X worse than Sue.

Yeah, he's gonna need a nickname, fast. I dunno, D-man? It'll be a high priority at rookie camp.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 1972
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 3:47:02 PM   
Todd M

Dallas da-luhs
Turner ter-ner

luhs-ter

Luster
Post #: 1973
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 3:55:27 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

What quarterback will we be drafting in 2025?

Time to start the thread.

Pac 12 only has 2 schools(football) now. That really narrows the QBs that you would like.
Post #: 1974
RE: 2024 Draft - 4/26/2024 4:00:03 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Coach KO
@KOC4COTY
·
2h

Dallas Turner +450
Laiatu Latu +800
Jared Verse +1000
Quinyon Mitchell +1000

From another chat site?

I say no way.

I could see Greenard go inside and Rip and Turner being the OLBs on obvious passing downs.
Post #: 1975
Page:   <<   < prev  77 78 [79] 80 81   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Draft Page: <<   < prev  77 78 [79] 80 81   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode