Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: Chris Olson
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/1/2024 6:41:55 PM   
Steve Lentz

Our Division is extremely tough. Lions are as good as most anyone and Packers look very dangerous. Bears are coming on now too.
I would be shocked if we make the playoffs. Doesn't mean I'll not be watching every game and cheering my team to beating everyone's ass.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1201
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/1/2024 7:21:48 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Reality?

I see closer to 10 than 5

Everyone is writing us off. And though we have flaws...every team does.

The real problem here is how is the QB going to play? Which one? Everyone assumes that since we've dumped Cousins we are just going to suck. Now I don't have a lot of faith in Darnold...but he's never had a receiving corps like this one. McCarthy is a rookie so there will be growing pains if he plays. But we have a lot of weapons there.

But an aggressive attacking defense. Sure we lost Danielle Hunter, but I think the addtions of Van Ginkel, Greenard and the Rookie will make up for that.

There's a lot of question marks here.

The purple shade wearing hopeful fan in me sees us shocking the NFL world and winning a whole lot more than people expect

The 40+ year cynical fan in me says we're losing a lot more than winning.

More likely we eke out enough wins to make the playoffs then get drummed out first round.

either way, it's going to be a fun ride and I am going to enjoy it.

Yeah but even the cynical fan in you sees more than 5 wins, right?

With all the crap we've had to deal with we haven't experienced 5 or less losses very often.
5 1961-67
5 1968-2023

History has nothing to do with the 2024 team.

Obviously.

And obviously most of us will think something bad will happen regardless of how good the team is before we win a SB. But thinking we're only going to win 5 games isn't what this team does ... much

That's pretty dismissive. Some of us with low expectations actually form an opinion based on what is in front of us.

I certainly don't choose to be negative. I can't wait until some of these moves start panning out and there's a reason for real hope.

I'm incredibly positive in other sports I follow, like the Brazilian Women's beach volleyball team.
Post #: 1202
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/1/2024 7:43:48 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Reality?

The real problem here is how is the QB going to play? Which one? Everyone assumes that since we've dumped Cousins we are just going to suck. Now I don't have a lot of faith in Darnold...but he's never had a receiving corps like this one. McCarthy is a rookie so there will be growing pains if he plays. But we have a lot of weapons there.

But an aggressive attacking defense. Sure we lost Danielle Hunter, but I think the addtions of Van Ginkel, Greenard and the Rookie will make up for that.

The purple shade wearing hopeful fan in me sees us shocking the NFL world and winning a whole lot more than people expect

More likely we eke out enough wins to make the playoffs then get drummed out first round.

With all the crap we've had to deal with we haven't experienced 5 or less losses very often.
5 1961-67
5 1968-2023

Obviously.

And obviously most of us will think something bad will happen regardless of how good the team is before we win a SB. But thinking we're only going to win 5 games isn't what this team does ... much

That's pretty dismissive. Some of us with low expectations actually form an opinion based on what is in front of us.

I certainly don't choose to be negative. I can't wait until some of these moves start panning out and there's a reason for real hope.

I'm incredibly positive in other sports I follow, like the Brazilian Women's beach volleyball team.

Oh my.

That's not dismissive at all. It's an observation on how pessimistic we've all become with all the weird shit that's happened to us over the years. What in the world do you guys think I'm trying to say?
Post #: 1203
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/1/2024 8:13:54 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Reality?

5 1961-67
5 1968-2023

Obviously.

Does your positivity regarding the Brazilian Women's Beach Volleyball team involve dating one of them?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1204
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/1/2024 11:37:10 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Reality?

5 1961-67
5 1968-2023

Obviously.

Oh my.

That's not dismissive at all. It's an observation on how pessimistic we've all become with all the weird shit that's happened to us over the years. What in the world do you guys think I'm trying to say?

I read that as, some people will view the team negatively no matter how good the team is … my bad if I took that differently than intended.
Post #: 1205
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/2/2024 7:56:23 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

Reality?

5 1961-67
5 1968-2023

Um. did you happen to miss the two sentences that followed what my cynical self feelings expressed.

Of course I think we will win more than 5 games.

We've just got a lot of question marks. and a division that now looks an awful lot tougher.

Lions are the team to beat, well built. well coached. feeling really good about themselves.
- what we have going here is that it's still the Lions. They have historically found ways to keep ****ing it up when things are going well.

Packers look better than expected.
- But even though he looked good in his first go round as a starter....Jordan Love is NOT Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers and doesn't deserve to be the highest paid QB in the league

Bears look vastly improved
- but like the Lions, it's till the Bears. Caleb Williams could take the league by storm or look like a deer in headlights like the guy he replaced. But there is a lot more talent here. the GM has built a team with a lot of potentional....

Which leaves us, the consensus pick to finish last....Worst QB in the division at this point. Darnold may do better this stop just because of the weaponry at his disposal. JJ looks like a winner but he's all potential right now...just like Caleb Williams. and our Defense lost a bunch.

Statistically we will take a step back from the QB standpoint. but a step forward in moxy and drive to win. Intelligence to spike a ball when necessary etc.
I think they've done enough (though they could and should still do more) to address losses on the defense.

What I expect is we will have a better running game. Turn the ball over less. eke out a lot more wins than all the "experts" predict and we end up with a playoff berth, and then they will break our hearts again.

I personally am excited to see what this offense can do, and it will depend greatly on QB play. I am excited to see what our pass rush looks like, could be great...could be a disaster but it will be fun to watch.

My biggest concerns are DBs and Darnold/McCarthy.

Can the DBs cover enough to help us win and not cost us games?
Can whichever QB is playing do enough to get the ball to all the weapons we have (JJ, Jones, Addison, Hockenson, Nailor, etc etc etc)
Can the Dline get home frequently enough?

Only time will tell, but I think we do better than what the pundits think.

"The same people who voted for him because "he says what he means" are arguing he didn't mean what he said."
Post #: 1206
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/2/2024 9:17:00 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

Um. did you happen to miss the two sentences that followed what my cynical self feelings expressed.

You know, i might have. My bad!

Obviously i did a poor job expressing how i feel about how many wins i think theyll have as a response to the low numbers some think theyll have.

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 8/2/2024 9:19:29 AM >
Post #: 1207
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/2/2024 9:35:38 AM   
Phil Riewer

I have us at 9-8....CB is our weakness of course but by adding Cashman, Turner, Greenard, Van Ginkel, and maybe even the UCLA UDFA--- Flores will have more pass rushers than he had last year from different spots on the field and they actually defend the pass better as well.

If we hadn't lost Blackmon and the rookie cb I would have penciled us at 10-7. Our running game was pathetic last year as was our screen game---a healthy Jones will provide improvement in those two areas.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 8/2/2024 9:37:54 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1208
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/2/2024 10:31:56 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

I have us at 9-8....CB is our weakness of course but by adding Cashman, Turner, Greenard, Van Ginkel, and maybe even the UCLA UDFA--- Flores will have more pass rushers than he had last year from different spots on the field and they actually defend the pass better as well.

If we hadn't lost Blackmon and the rookie cb I would have penciled us at 10-7. Our running game was pathetic last year as was our screen game---a healthy Jones will provide improvement in those two areas.

I agree with all of this but it still leaves me nervous. I see teams just running down our throats for about 2 and half quarters. Then we will be so exhausted the pass rush won't be thing anymore and we will get carved up.

I sure hope I'm wrong though.
Post #: 1209
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/2/2024 10:52:48 AM   
kgdabom

Aaron Jones may have more fuel left in the tank than expected

Andrew Harbaugh
August 2, 2024 9:16 am CT
Whenever a veteran running back is released from a team and then immediately signed by someone, expectations are lowered. For Aaron Jones, going from one division opponent to another, he has a chance to prove something.

During his training camp tour, Matt Verderame of Sports Illustraed made a stop at Vikings camp. One of the many observations he had was on the new Vikings running back and how he looks despite everyone checking out on him.

“Jones showed good burst and acceleration, something that was a question entering camp after he was released by the Green Bay Packers this offseason. Jones, 29, averages five yards per carry for his career, and the player I saw in Minnesota might keep that figure where it is.”

The team had many issues in terms of consistency out of the backfield last year. The revolving door they had isn’t an option in 2024, and that does add a lot of pressure to Jones. He has shown he is up to the task over time at Green Bay, and that was before he had a chip on his shoulder.

The Vikings hope what Verderame saw at training camp carries into the regular season, potentially even becoming something more than a one-year deal.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1210
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/2/2024 12:51:56 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

I read that as, some people will view the team negatively no matter how good the team is … my bad if I took that differently than intended.

No. But I could of done a lot better trying to say what I felt.
Post #: 1211
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/2/2024 2:29:45 PM   
Bill Johanesen

6-11 is fine, and two losses or two wins won't move the needle much considering there are usually a couple of games that hinge on a fluke play, untimely penalties, etc. So 4-13 works as it means a higher draft slot to get a top CB or dominant DL. With the caveat that the team is actually making progress despite the record. Sort of the reverse of the 13-4 year.

I'm excited about the prospects of such a high draft pick. A reward for bottoming out.
Post #: 1212
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/2/2024 2:31:16 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

No. But I could of done a lot better trying to say what I felt.

It's the offseason... a good time to iron out such deficiencies ha.
Post #: 1213
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/2/2024 2:33:15 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Reality?

5 1961-67
5 1968-2023

Obviously.

Are the networks still imbedding super slo-mo videos into their coverage?
Post #: 1214
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/2/2024 3:22:36 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Reality?

5 1961-67
5 1968-2023

Obviously.

Are the networks still imbedding super slo-mo videos into their coverage?

yes and from different angles. which really helps confirm the results. and other things.
Post #: 1215
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/2/2024 3:33:32 PM   
marty

I think the Vikings will go 6-11 at best.

The weaknesses are CB, interior DL, inexperience on defense, QB, tough schedule that starts out pretty tough.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1216
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/2/2024 3:36:34 PM   
marty

I think Darnold will occasionally complete a long pass, but his weakness at short and intermediate passes will show, unless he only plays 1.5 games as I predicted.

I think McCarthy will show some great stuff, mixed in with plenty of bad plays. I don't think he is experienced enough with different types of passes.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1217
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/2/2024 4:34:54 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

Aaron Jones may have more fuel left in the tank than expected

Andrew Harbaugh
August 2, 2024 9:16 am CT
Whenever a veteran running back is released from a team and then immediately signed by someone, expectations are lowered. For Aaron Jones, going from one division opponent to another, he has a chance to prove something.

During his training camp tour, Matt Verderame of Sports Illustraed made a stop at Vikings camp. One of the many observations he had was on the new Vikings running back and how he looks despite everyone checking out on him.

“Jones showed good burst and acceleration, something that was a question entering camp after he was released by the Green Bay Packers this offseason. Jones, 29, averages five yards per carry for his career, and the player I saw in Minnesota might keep that figure where it is.”

The team had many issues in terms of consistency out of the backfield last year. The revolving door they had isn’t an option in 2024, and that does add a lot of pressure to Jones. He has shown he is up to the task over time at Green Bay, and that was before he had a chip on his shoulder.

The Vikings hope what Verderame saw at training camp carries into the regular season, potentially even becoming something more than a one-year deal.

An effective rushing game will take some pressure off our quarterbacks and receivers. I'm worried about the cb situation and our dtackles getting worn out before week 10.
Post #: 1218
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2024 8:15:29 AM   
Murph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Reality?

5 1961-67
5 1968-2023

Obviously.

Oh my.

Ricky, I have always appreciated your optimism even when I felt it was misplaced.

My take on the season and the future is we win 5-8 games due mostly to our tough schedule and division.

For the long term future I'm more optimistic than I have been in a long time!

I think/hope/pray we got the QB right. We have the best player at the second most important position locked up. Just drafted a promising young player at the 3rd most important position. Locked up a top 5 LT and have a top RT. Younger improving defense.

I definitely feel like we are trending in the right direction long term even if next season's record isn't stellar.

I look at next season as a long preseason for 2025, the year we can possibly make some noise in the post season.

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 1219
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2024 9:16:23 AM   
Bill Johanesen

I look at next season as a long preseason for 2025, the year we can possibly make some noise in the post season.

I see 2024 and 2025 as a long preseason, primarily because of the rookie QB. In 2026 we'll still have the core intact but many of the players on the roster in week 1 won't be around two years later.
Post #: 1220
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2024 9:49:06 AM   
Ricky J

Thanks Murph!

I'll stick with closer to 10 then 5 (8).

Hopefully KO'C is as good as I think and not as bad as Dan thinks.

We're in Aug so we're getting closer to finding out.
Post #: 1221
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2024 9:50:53 AM   
Ricky J

It sure would be nice if JJ is the real deal!
Post #: 1222
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2024 9:54:30 AM   
Karl Juhnke

McCarthy is going to be great. I’m convinced. He has all the right stuff. It’s just a matter of when. Week 1. Week 5. Week 63.

What concerns me is Kwesi’s ability to build around him for the future. His first draft crashed and burned. His second draft produced a decent player who still has to prove his knucklehead behavior won’t torpedo his career.

His third draft produced what we hope are two solid franchise building blocks but A) we don’t know how it will pan out yet and B) it put a lot of eggs in one basket and cost a lot of draft capital.

He still has a lot to prove.
Post #: 1223
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2024 10:22:04 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

McCarthy is going to be great. I’m convinced. He has all the right stuff. It’s just a matter of when. Week 1. Week 5. Week 63.

What concerns me is Kwesi’s ability to build around him for the future. His first draft crashed and burned. His second draft produced a decent player who still has to prove his knucklehead behavior won’t torpedo his career.

His third draft produced what we hope are two solid franchise building blocks but A) we don’t know how it will pan out yet and B) it put a lot of eggs in one basket and cost a lot of draft capital.

He still has a lot to prove.

Post #: 1224
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/3/2024 11:55:29 AM   
Todd M

Between 10 and 12 wins.
Post #: 1225
Page:   <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode