Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 5:29:36 PM   
Phil Riewer

Arodg is a Jet

How about let’s get a screen game and better short passing game. Jones is very good at both.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 101
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 5:41:30 PM   
Phil Riewer

Harry cap charge is now 9 instead 19.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 3/13/2024 5:43:40 PM >

Post #: 102
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 6:00:20 PM   
David Levine

Hopefully its not pushing money into the future just so he can retire as a Viking.
Post #: 103
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 6:00:58 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

I was just looking at the original contract. What in gods green earth was Spielman thinking?

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 104
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 6:28:29 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

I was just looking at the original contract. What in gods green earth was Spielman thinking?

Merch sales and seats …

Per Will..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 105
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 6:49:36 PM   
marty

I watched the Darnold highlights, didn't see him throwing deep much.

I saw him not go through reads, usually focusing on his first read and throwing there.

He had some speed to avoid a pass rush, he looked a little like Mullens in that he didn't want to take a sack, would rather throw an INT. He also had a tendency to throw into areas with lots of defenders, probably missing open WRs (IF they had any that were talented enough to get open).

I am not excited about Darnold, but am excited to be done with Kirk, and hopefully get a rookie QB that gives us something to be excited about.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 106
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/13/2024 10:37:18 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Darnold is an enigma. I'm really curious to see how it plays out. He's been with shit bag franchises his whole NFL career. Hard to judge him solely on that. Name one QB that had a fighting chance with the Jets since he was drafted and the situation with the Panthers was about as bad. He's got talent. If KOC can get his TO's under control this might be a great find. I like the trial. He can make every throw, is mobile enough and isn't some dumbass who looks to his coach to tell him what to do when the entire planet is screaming "spike the ball fool".

Is he better than KC's? I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is, it wouldn't shock me if he's successful under KOC and the weapons that we have. Dude will never be in a better position to show if he was just drafted by a crappy org or he was a bad pick.
Post #: 107
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2024 1:30:06 AM   
JT2

quote:

Arodg is a Jet

How about let’s get a screen game and better short passing game. Jones is very good at both.

I'm not a fan of spending money on a position so easy to fill, but Jones is an asset to the passing game. Pass protection, chip and release, decent hands.....all the things that can help a mediocre QB.

Darnold is coveted only because he was the #3 overall pick. GM's and coaches love that shit.

I think there is a real chance the masterminds think we solved our QB problem, and will not be at all interested in trading up for a potential QB for the future.
Post #: 108
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2024 4:26:17 AM   
ratoppenheimer

discovering the vikings in the early '70s, it was hard not to favor our defensive heroes...when eller and page left in the late '70s it hurt....

over the last decade my favorite vikings have been danielle hunter and harrison smith...only one left now....okay, harry, give'em hell....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 109
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2024 5:30:36 AM   
ratoppenheimer

tampering?....

Cousins had his introductory press conference with the Atlanta Falcons tonight, and during that presser said the following:

“There’s great people here,” Cousins said. “And it’s not just the football team. I mean, I’m looking at the support staff. Meeting — calling, yesterday, calling our head athletic trainer, talking to our head of P.R. I’m thinking, we got good people here. And that’s exciting to be a part of.”

Now, we know that the “legal tampering” period of NFL free agency got underway on Monday at 11:00 AM Central time, ahead of the new league year officially starting at 3:00 PM Central time today. However, the legal tampering period is exclusively for player agents to contact NFL front offices ahead of the start of the new league year. Teams are not supposed to engage in direct contact with the player themselves until after the start of the new league year.

That means that if Cousins was in contact with the training staff of the Falcons before today at 3:00 PM Central. . .well, that’s a boo-boo. And I’m not, for one minute, suggesting that other teams may or may not do this. Hell, it’s even entirely possible that the Minnesota Vikings have done such a thing. However, it’s pretty rare for anyone to come out and just straight-up say that such a thing occurred, as Cousins appears to have done here.

Post #: 110
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2024 6:44:05 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

Arodg is a Jet

I'm not a fan of spending money on a position so easy to fill, but Jones is an asset to the passing game. Pass protection, chip and release, decent hands.....all the things that can help a mediocre QB.

Darnold is coveted only because he was the #3 overall pick. GM's and coaches love that shit.

I think there is a real chance the masterminds think we solved our QB problem, and will not be at all interested in trading up for a potential QB for the future.

If that was the case they wouldn't have only signed him to a one year deal.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 111
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2024 7:58:03 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Doubtful the Vikings win it all last year if Cousins stayed healthy, the defense showed too many holes against experienced QBs.

Cousins was 4-4 when he got hurt. Dobbs was 2-2 (pretty much without Jefferson). Hall was 1-1. Mullens 0-3. Two absolute unknowns that will be out of the league in two years were his equal.

Cousins, Dobbs and Hall had no record. The Vikings did. If you think Hall and Dobbs played as well as Cousins you're certifiably insane.

Dobbs played really well for the first two games with zero time in the building. He was poor the last two games when defensive coordinators adjusted and Justin Jefferson was out of the lineup.

Cousins was 4-4 with a healthy lineup.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 112
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2024 8:00:00 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

I see Wash signed Mariotta to be their bridge/#2 qb. So Howell looks to be available via trade.

To me I'd rather have Howell than Darnold.

Howell was awful. He regressed badly down the stretch.

I'll take Darnold any day of the week. Sam Darnold is an experienced veteran that has been on awful football teams. This will be the most offensive talent he has ever had around him (as a starter). He'll be fine for a stop-gap. He isn't the future, but neither was Cousins.

Get back to me after week 4 and we'll see if you feel the same way.

I'll be fine. The Vikings are far from a complete package right now. I have no visions of a Super Bowl run. Rick Spielman got us into this mess five years ago. Now it's time to pay the piper.

Post #: 113
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2024 8:10:31 AM   
Brad H

Darnold's last lineup in New York:

RB Frank Gore (who was about 75 at the time)
WR Jamison Crowder (who was about 65 at the time)
WR Breshad Perriman
WR Denzel Mims
TE Chris Herndon

Does anybody in here really think Kirk Cousins would have flourished with that lineup?

Then Darnold arrives in Carolina to this lineup:

RB Chuba Hubbard (McCaffrey played 7 games)
WR Robbie Anderson (one trick pony)
WR DJ Moore (likely his best target)
WR Brandon Zylstra (who?)
TE Ian Thomas (blocking TE)

Not to mention, both teams (NY & Car) had some of the worst offensive lines in the league at that point.

This will easily be the most talented team the guy has started for. Lets give him a chance. He was the #3 pick for a reason at one point.

RB Aaron Jones
WR Justin Jefferson
WR Jordan Addison
TE TJ Hockenson

< Message edited by Brad H -- 3/14/2024 8:32:14 AM >

Post #: 114
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2024 8:30:35 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

WR Breshad Perriman
WR Denzel Mims
TE Chris Herndon

Does anybody in here really think Kirk Cousins would have had success with that lineup?

WR Robbie Anderson
WR DJ Moore
WR Brandon Zylstra
TE Ian Thomas

Not to mention, both teams (NY & Car) had some of the worst offensive lines in the league at that point.

This will easily be the most talented team the guy has started for. Lets give him a chance. He was the #3 pick for a reason at one point.

RB Aaron Jones
WR Justin Jefferson
WR Jordan Addison
TE TJ Hockenson

The Vikings saw something in him. The 49ers did last year.

Like you've stated, he is not a long term option. But we shouldn't assume he's going to suck just because he sucked before. You are correct that his supporting casts in previous years have been terrible. That being said. Mitchell Trubisky, JaMarcus Russell, Aliki Smith etc were all high draft picks....that don't make them good.

There is talent there.

I will give him a chance. I would guess that he will not play a full season as our starter as they many want to get whatever draft pick's feet wet by year's end. but if he plays us into the playoffs,... That'd be a good problem to have.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 115
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2024 8:44:55 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

Arodg is a Jet

If that was the case they wouldn't have only signed him to a one year deal.

I was thinking that the Vikings should’ve demanded an option for 2025 – maybe the option is for $15 million…. Just in case, he leads us deep into the playoffs….

Post #: 116
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2024 8:44:59 AM   
marty

KOC got the best out of Kirk, he may get the best out of Darnold.

Probably get 7-9 wins, just enough to once again keep the Vikings out of getting a top 10 draft pick.

Hopefully get a good QB prospect this year.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 117
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2024 8:45:03 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

WR Breshad Perriman
WR Denzel Mims
TE Chris Herndon

Does anybody in here really think Kirk Cousins would have had success with that lineup?

WR Robbie Anderson
WR DJ Moore
WR Brandon Zylstra
TE Ian Thomas

RB Aaron Jones
WR Justin Jefferson
WR Jordan Addison
TE TJ Hockenson

Like you've stated, he is not a long term option. But we shouldn't assume he's going to suck just because he sucked before. You are correct that his supporting casts in previous years have been terrible. That being said. Mitchell Trubisky, JaMarcus Russell, Aliki Smith etc were all high draft picks....that don't make them good.

There is talent there.

I will give him a chance. I would guess that he will not play a full season as our starter as they many want to get whatever draft pick's feet wet by year's end. but if he plays us into the playoffs,... That'd be a good problem to have.

In addition, Darnold is a good guy. A local guy that went to high school where my wife taught. He played in a charity event at my college last year along with Rodgers, Allen, Leinert, Thompson-Robinson, Levis, Ridder, AR St. Brown, Goff, Josh Norman, Terrell Owens, Brandon Marshall and a few others. Really nice kid. I know it likely doesn't mean much to the rest of you folks, but I'd like to see him finally get a real chance to prove himself.

Post #: 118
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2024 8:56:05 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

WR Breshad Perriman
WR Denzel Mims
TE Chris Herndon

WR Robbie Anderson
WR DJ Moore
WR Brandon Zylstra
TE Ian Thomas

RB Aaron Jones
WR Justin Jefferson
WR Jordan Addison
TE TJ Hockenson

There is talent there.

In addition, Darnold is a good guy. A local guy that went to high school where my wife taught. He played in a charity event at my college last year along with Rodgers, Allen, Leinert, Thompson-Robinson, Levis, Ridder, AR St. Brown, Goff, Josh Norman, Terrell Owens, Brandon Marshall and a few others. Really nice kid. I know it likely doesn't mean much to the rest of you folks, but I'd like to see him finally get a real chance to prove himself.

He's going to get his chance here. and if he does well, I wouldn't be opposed to extending him....but this is definitely a "prove it" year for him. Can he turn this thing around and become a full time starter in this league or is he just a career backup?

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 119
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2024 9:17:26 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

WR Breshad Perriman
WR Denzel Mims
TE Chris Herndon

WR Robbie Anderson
WR DJ Moore
WR Brandon Zylstra
TE Ian Thomas

RB Aaron Jones
WR Justin Jefferson
WR Jordan Addison
TE TJ Hockenson

There is talent there.

He's going to get his chance here. and if he does well, I wouldn't be opposed to extending him....but this is definitely a "prove it" year for him. Can he turn this thing around and become a full time starter in this league or is he just a career backup?

No doubt. All the weapons are there. If he doesn't do it with these guys, he won't get another opportunity.

Post #: 120
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2024 10:38:32 AM   
Ricky J

Go Sammy D!

And id love to see Atl get nailed for the "tampering" thing
Post #: 121
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2024 10:53:31 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Go Sammy D!

I can't think of any higher proof of karma than ...

1. Kirk blowing it in his initial 'hope I retire in ATL' presser

2. Painfully forcing ATL to give up a pick

3. Which helps us move up in the draft for an actual franchise QB.

One last shout out to the Egyptians coming up from behind!!!

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 3/14/2024 10:58:21 AM >
Post #: 122
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2024 11:09:00 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

Go Sammy D!

Just another example of Kirk-o being clueless.
Post #: 123
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2024 11:10:25 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

Go Sammy D!

I don't have a problem with that ...
Post #: 124
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/14/2024 11:30:43 AM   
Phil Riewer

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
6m
The NFL is looking into potential tampering by the #Eagles and #Falcons prior to the start of free agency, as is standard in such matters, per league source.
Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
41s
Specifically, the review is of the #Eagles' pursuit of Saquon Barkley and the #Falcons' pursuit of Kirk Cousins, based upon recent public comments related to each matter.

Post #: 125
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode