Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: TJSweens
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2024 2:44:03 AM   
kgdabom

Nice win for the Vikings is the bottom line. McCarthy threw a classic panic pick on his first series and was lights out after. 117 QBR with 2 TD passes and demonstrated some good scrambling ability.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1301
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2024 10:07:07 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Got his first preseason win but I still have question marks with KOC at times. We had 3 TO's with about 50 seconds to go in the first half. WTH isn't he going to a hurry up 2 minute drill with JJM? What a perfect time for the kid to learn.

Maybe KOC got the memo saying you burn timeouts like there is no tomorrow.

Or perhaps throwing that at JJM isn't yet part of his development plan.
Post #: 1302
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2024 10:09:29 AM   
Bill Johanesen

JJ McMoxie...
Post #: 1303
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2024 10:23:28 AM   
David Levine

By Matthew Coller

MINNEAPOLIS — Preseason stat lines can be misleading sometimes. For example, last year’s NFL leader in preseason passer rating was Kenny Pickett and his exhibition play didn’t exactly translate to the regular season. So when analyzing JJ McCarthy’s preseason debut, we need to look beyond the strong 11-for-17, 188-yards, 2 TD 1 INT stat line and focus more on the skills that were on display at US Bank Stadium in the Vikings’ win over the Las Vegas Raiders.

In the lead up to the NFL Draft, analysts kept going back to McCarthy’s personality as a reason for thinking he could translate his winning ways at Michigan to the NFL. There were a few different ways that his approach to the game showed itself. The first was after he threw an interception.

After taking over for Sam Darnold, McCarthy came into the game and whipped an 18-yard completion over the middle to Jalen Nailor. His next throw was a miss on a short pass toward CJ Ham and then attempt No. 3 he escaped the pocket and tried to find receiver Trishton Jackson coming toward the sideline. He underestimated an NFL cornerback’s ability to undercut the ball and threw a rough interception.

The next pass he threw when he came back onto the field was a 24-yard completion that perfectly led Jackson across the field. On time. In rhythm. His next four plays were an incomplete short throw and then a quick completion to Trent Sherfield, scramble for nine yards and 21-yard throw to his right to Jackson that set up a field goal attempt.

To start the second half, McCarthy converted a third-and-long pass to tight end Nick Muse for a first down and then tossed a long touchdown pass to Jackson.

Head coach Kevin O’Connell was happy with the way McCarthy bounced back from his opening miscue.

“How about him battling and coming right back?” O’Connell said. “Especially coming out of half I really wanted to see how he can come in, take some coaching as a group and then let's go out, execute, and try to put some points on the board.”

Jackson was impressed with the quick re-focus as well.

“I know he felt bad about it but he turned around and showed it,” Jackson said. “Great leadership. Getting us in and out of the huddle quick, fast, he’s poised. He’s legit.”

His arm strength didn’t get as much attention. It might now. His intermediate throws found their targets with some heat behind them and his third quarter TD traveled about 40 yards in the air in a snap.

“I thought the go ball was beautiful,” O’Connell said. “It's just a go ball. Trishton [Jackson] did a great job closing the space, stepping on the corner's toes and slipping by him. And J.J., five and one hitch ball out, trusting him to go to the spot. Beautiful throw.”

McCarthy’s playmaking ability was another plus that the Vikings noted after drafting him 10th overall. Even on the interception, the young QB was able to escape the rush and put himself in position to either run for a first down or find a receiver. On the following drive, the pocket collapsed completely and he escaped for a 9-yard gain. His pocket presence also made a difference with zero sacks on 19 drop-backs.

Where he needed to make improvements following OTAs and minicamp was in footwork and accuracy. Those things have come a long way during camp and several passes where he hit his receivers in stride stood out on Saturday afternoon.

The next natural question after demonstrating all the tools that the Vikings’ staff was buying into during the pre-draft process is: What does McCarthy’s strong showing mean toward his chances to start Week 1?

“I'm just looking for him to improve, look comfortable in our system,” O’Connell said. “I look it as just another glorified singular step in the process.”

With Darnold stringing together good practices with the first team and looking comfortable moving the Vikings’ offense as QB1, it seems that it’s going to take a lot more than McCarthy putting together a good preseason game to change where things stands right now. O’Connell said he is focused on the next steps, from the night practice on Monday night to joint practices next Wednesday and Thursday.

“There is an overall belief in the development toward this position that I am way more focused on controlling what we can control, which is how we put together practice, how we layer learning, how we allow confidence to build and ownership to build,” O’Connell said.

ADDITIONAL NOTES

— O’Connell has shown a lot of belief in Jalen Nailor since he was drafted in 2022 and the young receiver carried over his strong camp to the preseason field vs. Las Vegas with three catches for 63 yards.

“Those of you guys who have been at training camp, seeing him make plays and see him show up…that’s what he’s capable of,” O’Connell said. “He really played X tonight in Justin Jefferson’s spot and he showed up, ran some really good routes, has a great way about him but also has some versatility and we’re going to continue to feed him and give him ops because we’ve always been excited about him. It’s just been an availability thing, and he stacks up really, really good weeks together now which needs to be expected as long as he can keep putting it together. I’m really proud of where he’s at.”
Post #: 1304
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2024 11:48:09 AM   
Todd M

After seeing the highlights JJ impressed. Darnold better produce all your bc he’s got a young gin slinger nipping at his heals.

Exciting times.
Post #: 1305
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2024 11:54:33 AM   
David Levine

JJ's first TD. An absolute dime.

And no one was more excited than Jefferson.

https://x.com/Vikings/status/1822391949283807590
Post #: 1306
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2024 12:28:04 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

After seeing the highlights JJ impressed. Darnold better produce all your bc he’s got a young gin slinger nipping at his heals.

Exciting times.

Smaller sample size but Darnold looked just as good. First series and he marched us right down the field.
Post #: 1307
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2024 12:37:48 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

JJ's first TD. An absolute dime.

And no one was more excited than Jefferson.

https://x.com/Vikings/status/1822391949283807590

That’s super awesome!
Post #: 1308
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2024 12:37:57 PM   
stfrank

quote:

quote:

Exciting times.

Smaller sample size but Darnold looked just as good. First series and he marched us right down the field.

Yup, a small sample size for both but I saw enough to know for sure I won't miss KC one little bit this season. Very happy that we have moved on and will no longer have that albatross of a contract holding us back any more.
Post #: 1309
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2024 12:38:57 PM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

Exciting times.

It’s a great sign. When’s the last time we had a #1 and #2 we liked?
Post #: 1310
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2024 12:48:49 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

quote:

quote:

Exciting times.

Yup, a small sample size for both but I saw enough to know for sure I won't miss KC one little bit this season. Very happy that we have moved on and will no longer have that albatross of a contract holding us back any more.

Don’t miss him either. And I have to admit I’m not sad that Cousins regrets his decision a bit.
Post #: 1311
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2024 1:15:48 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exciting times.

Don’t miss him either. And I have to admit I’m not sad that Cousins regrets his decision a bit.

Who?
Post #: 1312
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2024 1:50:30 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exciting times.

Who?

Kirk Cousins-KC.
Post #: 1313
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2024 1:52:17 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Many articles about Cousins now talk about his lifetime earnings (~ a quarter of a billion dollars), the first ever 100% guaranteed contract, and his paltry one playoff win. I expect that is how history will see that money chaser, and it's fitting.

Sam Bradford is the poster child for bad value, mostly due to him being the last of the #1 picks before the league slotted contracts.
Kirk Cousins has him beat what with being an All-Pro at signing crazy contracts and far underperforming.

He's not even a game manager as much as he is a contract manager.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 8/11/2024 1:59:40 PM >
Post #: 1314
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2024 3:32:22 PM   
Dave Odle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Many articles about Cousins now talk about his lifetime earnings (~ a quarter of a billion dollars), the first ever 100% guaranteed contract, and his paltry one playoff win. I expect that is how history will see that money chaser, and it's fitting.

Sam Bradford is the poster child for bad value, mostly due to him being the last of the #1 picks before the league slotted contracts.
Kirk Cousins has him beat what with being an All-Pro at signing crazy contracts and far underperforming.

He's not even a game manager as much as he is a contract manager.

Yes, thank you! This! More worried about chasing a measly few million when you own generational wealth. It's actually more about your ego than being a ****ing winner. No killer instinct! No thanks.

Try using hindsight in the present.
Post #: 1315
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2024 3:48:08 PM   
Jeff Jesser

2 more things that I wanted to jot down after yesterday.

Darnold had just the 1 drive and he had to do it without the use of his helmet comms. He had to run over to the sidelines and get it directly from KOC. That makes that debut even more impressive.

Not 1 delay of game or burning a TO to avoid one. Maybe KOC is getting better/quicker getting the play in or maybe that was a KC's issue.
Post #: 1316
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2024 4:59:19 PM   
Ricky J

It sure would be a huge disappointment if there wasn't an improvement in the area.

Year 3, if hes any good at all there should be a lot of administrative improvements across the board whether he has the talent or not.

I "liked" this from above for sure: ” Jackson said. “Great leadership. Getting us in and out of the huddle quick, fast, he’s poised. He’s legit.”

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 8/11/2024 5:00:40 PM >
Post #: 1317
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2024 5:41:23 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exciting times.

It’s a great sign. When’s the last time we had a #1 and #2 we liked?

In 2018.

At this time of year, we had shiny new ultra-expensive FA starter Cousins, new backup with starting experience Siemian, and pre-season darling Sloter.

After 13-3 and an NFCCG game the year before and returning a top 5 defense and Cook Thielen Diggs in their prime … the future was shiny and bright.

Not.

Three years later, Zimmer turned into a saladito.

Certainly there’s a lesson there for cautious optimism.
Post #: 1318
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2024 6:28:31 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Want to believe Flores showed nothing but vanilla schemes. Not because the secondary was trash, but with a lack of talent on the DL and at CB, the likely smoke & mirrors D has a shelf life equivalent to unpasteurized milk.

Really need Turner to be all that. Greenard too as he is going to count $22 million against the cap for 2025, 2026, 2027. With dead money in 2028 and a placeholder for dead cap in 2029.
Post #: 1319
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2024 6:32:10 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Not crowning any QB yet (of course).

Culpepper had a disastrous 1st preseason game and was left wondering could he be this bad.
McMoxie had a very good 1st preseason game and am left wondering could he be this good.
Post #: 1320
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2024 6:38:32 PM   
Todd M

I crown McMoxie as future stud who will be the one who finally brings us championship.

Clearly from the highlights he has “It”
Post #: 1321
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2024 7:03:25 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Not crowning any QB yet (of course).

Culpepper had a disastrous 1st preseason game and was left wondering could he be this bad.
McMoxie had a very good 1st preseason game and am left wondering could he be this good.

In my mind, we crossed one hurdle. Wondering whether McCarthy was just a leftover at #10 we had to grab ... or truly someone we coveted.

He has brushed that aside pretty quickly. He belongs.

One step at a time.
Post #: 1322
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/11/2024 10:01:04 PM   
marty

Darnold was just as impressive as McCarthy, but Darnold has an NFL history of struggling with a lot of things.

McCarthy has the unknown with regards to the NFL, and a pedigree of winning a lot.

McCarthy is showing he is a baller, and while I think there will be plenty of growing pains, he appears to be a quick learner. IMO, the sooner he starts the better, the quicker we get to a SB win with McCarthy.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1323
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 9:28:09 AM   
Brad H

There was only one drive that mattered in the entire game. It was the final drive of the first half where McCarthy went 3-and-out.

This is what I've been saying about McCarthy. The 2-minute offense has become very important for NFL quarterbacks. He has very little experience running it at Michigan because he was mostly playing from ahead, with a running offense.

It was one of the main reasons I didn't like the pick of McCarthy. He strikes me as Jim Harbaugh II.

I hope he improves, but he may not. It's an art, and takes time to develop. You've got to know how to control the clock at the end of halves. Kirk Cousins did a lot of things right, but he was a terrible two-minute quarterback.

Lets also not forget, the Vikes were down 20-7 at the half.....to the Raiders.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 8/12/2024 9:30:28 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1324
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 10:12:05 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

There was only one drive that mattered in the entire game. It was the final drive of the first half where McCarthy went 3-and-out.

This is what I've been saying about McCarthy. The 2-minute offense has become very important for NFL quarterbacks. He has very little experience running it at Michigan because he was mostly playing from ahead, with a running offense.

It was one of the main reasons I didn't like the pick of McCarthy. He strikes me as Jim Harbaugh II.

I hope he improves, but he may not. It's an art, and takes time to develop. You've got to know how to control the clock at the end of halves. Kirk Cousins did a lot of things right, but he was a terrible two-minute quarterback.

Lets also not forget, the Vikes were down 20-7 at the half.....to the Raiders.

Way too soon to make any definitive determinations on any player or the team.

1. They are running vanilla offenses/defenses
2. the HC is probably running plays just to see how the player executes them.
3. Scores in preseason games don't matter, it's all about evaluating bubble players and rookies

McCarthy looked pretty good under pressure. Didn't lose his cool. His teammates said he was a great leader in the huddle. and this was his FIRST NFL game action of any kind. Even HOFers have 3 and outs sometimes in 2 minute drills. There is no way you can evaluate McCarthy's ability in that regard after ONE PRESEASON drive. To me throughout his time in the game he handled pressure very well and that bodes well for the two minute drill IMHO.

In time JJ will show us his true colors.

I think it's far too early to show concern. He made a boneheaded throw or two, but every QB does that. and he also made some really good throws, very accurate. I think we wait and see how things go.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 1325
Page:   <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode