Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: TJSweens
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 10:22:27 AM   
Jeff Jesser

That post is a non-starter to begin with (Sorry, Brad).

It's what I was complaining about up thread. It WAS NOT a "2 minute drill". KOC didn't allow it. I deleted the recording but going off memory.

50 seconds with all 3 TO's at about our own 35-40 and we basically ran the clock out. We didn't take a knee but there was no urgency at all. I mentioned it was an opportunity lost to get him some experience there. Nothing to lose and we just didn't care.
Post #: 1326
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 11:46:30 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

There was only one drive that mattered in the entire game. It was the final drive of the first half where McCarthy went 3-and-out.

This is what I've been saying about McCarthy. The 2-minute offense has become very important for NFL quarterbacks. He has very little experience running it at Michigan because he was mostly playing from ahead, with a running offense.

It was one of the main reasons I didn't like the pick of McCarthy. He strikes me as Jim Harbaugh II.

I hope he improves, but he may not. It's an art, and takes time to develop. You've got to know how to control the clock at the end of halves. Kirk Cousins did a lot of things right, but he was a terrible two-minute quarterback.

Lets also not forget, the Vikes were down 20-7 at the half.....to the Raiders.

Guessing you merely read the play-by-play and didn't see the game. Cause if you did see it, you'd clearly know they didn't run a two-minute offense.

Down 20-7 at the half... so what. I'm not expecting much from the team this year but know enough to realize preseason scores between any two teams mean nothing.
Post #: 1327
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 11:47:13 AM  2 votes
beo

quote:

There was only one drive that mattered in the entire game. It was the final drive of the first half where McCarthy went 3-and-out.

This is what I've been saying about McCarthy. The 2-minute offense has become very important for NFL quarterbacks. He has very little experience running it at Michigan because he was mostly playing from ahead, with a running offense.

It was one of the main reasons I didn't like the pick of McCarthy. He strikes me as Jim Harbaugh II.

I hope he improves, but he may not. It's an art, and takes time to develop. You've got to know how to control the clock at the end of halves. Kirk Cousins did a lot of things right, but he was a terrible two-minute quarterback.

If you watched a 21 year old kid in his first NFL action do what JJ did on Saturday and find zero positives...

you don't want to find a positive.
Post #: 1328
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 11:54:40 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

It's what I was complaining about up thread. It WAS NOT a "2 minute drill". KOC didn't allow it. I deleted the recording but going off memory.

50 seconds with all 3 TO's at about our own 35-40 and we basically ran the clock out. We didn't take a knee but there was no urgency at all. I mentioned it was an opportunity lost to get him some experience there. Nothing to lose and we just didn't care.

Again, perhaps a two-minute drill wasn't part of the script for McCarthy.

And perhaps they needed to evaluate certain sets and players. Players that would be sitting in the second half.

Or yes they "didn't care" and just wanted to get to halftime injury free.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 8/12/2024 12:02:46 PM >
Post #: 1329
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 11:58:01 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

If you watched a 21 year old kid in his first NFL action do what JJ did on Saturday and find zero positives...

Brad is back to his "the only stats that matter are the ones in the last two minutes of a half" nonsense. The Vikings scored 24 points and McCarthy engineered 21 of them. I guess Hall is the real gem because he got that FG in the last two minutes.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1330
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 11:59:04 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

To be fair he said there was only one drive that mattered in the whole game. One would think he was pretty focused while watching that drive. The important two-minute drive. That didn't exist.
Post #: 1331
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 12:06:42 PM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

To be fair he said there was only one drive that mattered in the whole game. One would think he was pretty focused while watching that drive. The important two-minute drive. That didn't exist.

Clearly JJ should have ignored KOC and orchestrated a two-min drive for a TD on his own.
Get with the program!
Post #: 1332
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 12:21:57 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

That's about as useful as a post-draft grade. Not at all.

There were things to nit-pick ... why not go there. No need to euthanize McCarthy because he played for a nutflake in college and contributed to very good teams (in high school as well) that usually played with a lead. Like that's not what every player, coach, fan, mascot, etc. involved in a game wants.

I get your point but its just so feeble I couldn't pass it up.

Plus, I see what's coming. You're like Trump preparing the groundwork for Stop the Steal II (now that its a race), except you're predicting Cousins II ... based on the two minutes before the half of our first preseason game.

You amuse me.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 8/12/2024 12:23:09 PM >
Post #: 1333
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 1:04:55 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Again, perhaps a two-minute drill wasn't part of the script for McCarthy.

And perhaps they needed to evaluate certain sets and players. Players that would be sitting in the second half.

Or yes they "didn't care" and just wanted to get to halftime injury free.

Totally could be the case. Obviously I have no clue what they plan was/is. I thought it was a bit of a wasted opportunity but I'm also just a couch sitting jackass.
Post #: 1334
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 1:18:23 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Brad is back to his "the only stats that matter are the ones in the last two minutes of a half" nonsense. The Vikings scored 24 points and McCarthy engineered 21 of them. I guess Hall is the real gem because he got that FG in the last two minutes.

I could care less what a guy does in preseason game #1 against third stringers. The only thing that mattered for McCarthy was how he handled a two-minute drill. Down 20-7 seems like it would have been a great opportunity for experience. Whether it's him or a coaching decision to run out the clock is irrelevant. It was a missed opportunity for growth.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1335
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 1:22:27 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

After seeing the highlights JJ impressed. Darnold better produce all your bc he’s got a young gin slinger nipping at his heals.

Exciting times.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1336
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 1:27:31 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Brad is just trying to get a rise out of us. Pay no attention to him. He's not the droid we're looking for. You can go about your business. Move along.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1337
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 1:28:14 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1338
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 1:29:25 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I could care less what a guy does in preseason game #1 against third stringers. The only thing that mattered for McCarthy was how he handled a two-minute drill. Down 20-7 seems like it would have been a great opportunity for experience. Whether it's him or a coaching decision to run out the clock is irrelevant. It was a missed opportunity for growth.

No it isn't irrelevant. If the coaches are making the decision not to run a 2 minute drill that's on them not the player. It's a preseason game. Coaches frequently use this time to try a few things and evaluate players. They may very well feel he didn't need to run a two minute drill in this game as they know what they got in that in practice. Also they don't feel the need to give away regular season playcalling in the two minute drill.

If the coaches didn't run a two minute drill, for whatever reason, it is not fair to the player to evaluate him on it.

Maybe it was a missed opportunity for the coaches to see how he handled one in-game, I kind of agree on that point, but it shouldn't be used as a basis to feel validation for how you feel about the pick.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 1339
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 1:31:24 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Brad is just trying to get a rise out of us. Pay no attention to him. He's not the droid we're looking for. You can go about your business. Move along.

Brad has shown, imho, a bias against any player that didn't come out of the now nonexistent Pac 10. JJ Played for a big10 team. Thus in Brad's mind. He sucks.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 1340
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 1:35:57 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Brad has shown, imho, a bias against any player that didn't come out of the now nonexistent Pac 10. JJ Played for a big10 team. Thus in Brad's mind. He sucks.

Yep. This was an amazing Debut, but in Brad's twisted world he sucked.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1341
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 1:58:16 PM   
Jeff Jesser

BTW - it's not a minor point. The Raiders played their starters the entire first half according to the broadcast. He wasn't going against 2nd and 3rd stringers. I don't know enough about the Raiders roster to confirm but that was what was reported.
Post #: 1342
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 2:56:25 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Does it matter more that he came from Michigan and the Big 10?

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1343
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 4:00:07 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The ONLY thing that mattered was the last two minutes of the half? That's just silly. If you watched the game, the first touchdown pass was absolutely beautiful. A perfectly thrown ball. I watched the ENTIRE game and came away impressed by his poise and leadership on the field. He made some mistakes, but that's expected. Comparing Darnold to McCarthy in that game, I'd say what sort of stood out to me a bit was that Darnold seemed more "intentional" with his throws while McCarthy seemed more "natural" or fluid in his throws. In fairness to Darnold, he only played one series. If all you took away from the game was the result of the final two minutes of the first half, I'm glad you're not a scout for the team.
Post #: 1344
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 4:51:48 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark C. Johnson

If all you took away from the game was the result of the final two minutes of the first half, I'm glad you're not a scout for the team.

But you can catch his podcast from SoCal during the season, though, if you want ...

- cheap shot, sorry!
Post #: 1345
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 4:57:41 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Does it matter more that he came from Michigan and the Big 10?

Not in the least. That's another myth that has been perpetuated in here for 15 years.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1346
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 5:12:51 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The ONLY thing that mattered was the last two minutes of the half? That's just silly. If you watched the game, the first touchdown pass was absolutely beautiful. A perfectly thrown ball. I watched the ENTIRE game and came away impressed by his poise and leadership on the field. He made some mistakes, but that's expected. Comparing Darnold to McCarthy in that game, I'd say what sort of stood out to me a bit was that Darnold seemed more "intentional" with his throws while McCarthy seemed more "natural" or fluid in his throws. In fairness to Darnold, he only played one series. If all you took away from the game was the result of the final two minutes of the first half, I'm glad you're not a scout for the team.

The two-minute drill would have been one minute and five seconds (1:05) because the Raiders had the ball for 46 seconds, and the blocked FG was the play prior.

Nonetheless, all told the infamous, critical, and non-existent two-minute drill consisted of 4 plays for the Vikings on offense:
- The blocked FG.
- Three passes, in which JJ was 2-3 for 9 yards.
Post #: 1347
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 5:33:40 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The two-minute drill would have been one minute and five seconds (1:05) because the Raiders had the ball for 46 seconds, and the blocked FG was the play prior.

Nonetheless, all told the infamous, critical, and non-existent two-minute drill consisted of 4 plays for the Vikings on offense:
- The blocked FG.
- Three passes, in which JJ was 2-3 for 9 yards.

Well I've seen enough. The kids a bust.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1348
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 6:06:26 PM   
ratoppenheimer

the QB School...jt o'sullivan does mccarthy...mostly positive - has to keep working on his footwork, still too many hitches before passing on some plays...worth watching....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y57IK0Tp8g

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1349
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/12/2024 6:19:28 PM   
joejitsu1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think we have a winner in the making. He's going to have some hiccups along the way, but he surprised me with his ability. The running game even looked better when he was in there. I hope the qb future is bright.

< Message edited by joejitsu1 -- 8/12/2024 6:20:37 PM >
Post #: 1350
Page:   <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode