Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: marty
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 12:20:28 PM   
Bill Johanesen

How high do the Vikings think they have to go to get a QB they like?

How much are the Vikings willing to trade to do so?

Same questions for any number of teams needing a QB.

There is a balance or limit between trying to get who you want vs bidding against yourself.

Perfect world, they read the board correctly and the QB they like drops to #11 then they select a highly-rated CB at #23.
Post #: 176
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 12:26:40 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah recently suggested on the “Move the Sticks” podcast that the Washington Commanders might be the ideal trade partner for the Vikings.

quote:

“If you’re Minnesota…I think that Washington might be your best shot if you want to get up into the top three,” Jeremiah stated. “I don’t think New England is going to get out of there…but I think Washington, they have the 36th and the 40th picks. If you traded to 11 with Minnesota, you could get a haul of picks from the Vikings.”

The Vikings don’t have a pick in the second or third round this year to offer, but perhaps the No. 11 and 23 overall picks plus their 2025 first-rounder entices the Commanders enough to move back seven spots and be OK missing out on North Carolina’s Drake Maye and LSU’s Jayden Daniels.

Such a move would also give the Commanders the ammunition to move back up into the top 10 if they wanted to get Michigan QB J.J. McCarthy.

quote:

“I know the Chargers, it’s all been out there that they would love to get out of [pick No.] 5, so if you’re Washington, could you go from 2 to 11 then comeback up to 5,” Jeremiah said. “You’ve still got extra picks [and] you would still get the fourth quarterback. Say if you really like J.J. McCarthy, for example. You’re like, ‘I can get J.J. McCarthy, a future [first-round pick] and a bunch of other stuff.’”

If the Commanders were to trade with Minnesota, they could also simply take the best player available at No. 11 and use the 23rd overall pick on either Washington QB Michael Penix Jr. or Oregon QB Bo Nix.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/is_a_commanders_trade_in_the_works_after_vikings_acquire_a_second_first_round_pick/s1_13132_40113983

Overall interesting. As an aside, he said Wash would move back seven spots but guessing he meant nine spots... which could/would change what he thought it would require to trade up to #2.
Post #: 177
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 12:31:18 PM   
David Levine

Apparently our two first round picks, on the value chart, get you to between 3 and 4.

Now, when you're trading up that high and for a QB, the chart can go a bit out the window, but its a good starting baseline.

So adding next year's #1 should theoretically be enough to get you to #2.
Post #: 178
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 12:32:48 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Stud defender at #11, Penix or Nix at #23 ?

The problem there is if we stay at 11 and don't take a QB, every other team looking for a QB knows they need to just jump to 22 or better to snipe us.
Post #: 179
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 12:33:19 PM   
Todd M

No way Kwesi is going to be snaked.

It would be a dream to get to 2. No excuses. You didn’t have to settle for 3,4, or 5. Your cards laid bare.
Post #: 180
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 12:38:11 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Overwhelming number of options and opinions on value.

So today the counter is they trade #11 and #23 and walk away with a top CB, a top DL, and the top IOL... then Darnold does a Mayfield and his extension immediately puts us in cap hell next year.
Post #: 181
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 12:40:35 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Apparently our two first round picks, on the value chart, get you to between 3 and 4.

Now, when you're trading up that high and for a QB, the chart can go a bit out the window, but its a good starting baseline.

So adding next year's #1 should theoretically be enough to get you to #2.

IOW two firsts and two seconds for #2.
Post #: 182
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 12:40:51 PM   
David F.

It’s exciting to be a Vikings fan again!!

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 183
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 1:04:08 PM   
ratoppenheimer

if the top 4 qb’s are gone at 11, we trade down for more ammo with selecting penix the objective….

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 3/15/2024 1:05:38 PM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 184
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 1:09:57 PM   
joejitsu

I don’t think we make this kind of trade without having a trade partner and player already on the hook. The two firsts are going to get us in the top 5.
Post #: 185
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 1:14:58 PM   
Murph

I have to give Kwesi credit, he is cooking this off season!

He said at his presser that they had a lot of contingencies in place. This gives them so much more flexibility.

I'm guessing that they already have a potential trade up partner that they've had discussions with and know the price of poker before they consummated the trade with Houston.

My dream of Jayden Daniels in purple has my hopes up higher today.

< Message edited by Murph -- 3/15/2024 1:16:07 PM >

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 186
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 1:15:59 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

if the top 4 qb’s are gone at 11, we trade down for more ammo with selecting penix the objective….

If the top 4 qb’s are gone at 11, we select penix...
Post #: 187
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 1:39:30 PM   
beo

My guess...

Vikes want Maye.

DRAFT Scenario 1
1. C. Williams,
2. J. Daniels (very possible )
3. Vikes trade with NE to get Maye

DRAFT Scenario 2
1. C. Williams,
2. D. Maye
3. J. Daniels
4. Harrison
5. If Vikes love J. McCarthy... trade up and grab him

DRAFT Scenario 3
1. C. Williams,
2. D. Maye
3. J. Daniels

Vikes value rest as lower value.... either take a guy at 11 or try at 23.

TREMENDOUS flexibility... and for decent cost IMO.

Pretty excited.
Post #: 188
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 1:51:22 PM   
marty

If the Commanders were to trade with Minnesota, they could also simply take the best player available at No. 11 and use the 23rd overall pick on either Washington QB Michael Penix Jr. or Oregon QB Bo Nix.

But wouldn't teams want to snipe Washington and trade ahead of the #23 pick for a QB, or does that only happen if Minnesota owns the pick ? (That is, if Minnesota goes BPA at #11, then wants Nix or Penix at #23).

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 189
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 1:53:07 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

My guess...

Vikes want Maye.

DRAFT Scenario 1
1. C. Williams,
2. J. Daniels (very possible )
3. Vikes trade with NE to get Maye

DRAFT Scenario 2
1. C. Williams,
2. D. Maye
3. J. Daniels
4. Harrison
5. If Vikes love J. McCarthy... trade up and grab him

DRAFT Scenario 3
1. C. Williams,
2. D. Maye
3. J. Daniels

Vikes value rest as lower value.... either take a guy at 11 or try at 23.

TREMENDOUS flexibility... and for decent cost IMO.

Pretty excited.

Sure there is flexibility there, helped by being fine with Maye, McCarthy, or "a guy" at #11.

That's a takeoff on the old Air Force adage:
Flexibility is the key to airpower... indecision is the key to flexibility.

And they have to consummate a trade which is far from a given. But on paper they are sitting pretty good.
Post #: 190
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 1:56:35 PM   
marty

I am guessing the Vikings are trading #11 and #23 for pick #5 with S.D., and the Vikings take JJ McCarthy.

Is that a fair trade, or is it a Kwesi trade of giving up a little too much ?

And do you guys and gals like McCarthy enough to make that trade ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 191
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 2:00:35 PM   
Murph

quote:

I am guessing the Vikings are trading #11 and #23 for pick #5 with S.D., and the Vikings take JJ McCarthy.

What if Denver offers the farm to the Cardinals and jump us for McCarthy, if that's who KOC/Kwesi have identified?

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 192
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 2:05:01 PM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

quote:

What if Denver offers the farm to the Cardinals and jump us for McCarthy, if that's who KOC/Kwesi have identified?

Vikes are the only team with 2 1st picks this year I believe... seems like Vikes would at least get a call if that happened...

Now, they could get pulled into a bidding war.

But I would guess at this point they have a lot of leverage to get the guy they want.
Post #: 193
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 2:06:33 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Or this happens because Den and Oak don't have much of a farm to trade up with:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/03/13/free-agency-mock-draft-first-round-picks-predictions#gid=ci02d83a41b0002684&pid=23-houston-texans-from-cle
Post #: 194
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 2:12:22 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

quote:

Vikes are the only team with 2 1st picks this year I believe... seems like Vikes would at least get a call if that happened...

Now, they could get pulled into a bidding war.

But I would guess at this point they have a lot of leverage to get the guy they want.

Yep, the two 1st rounders THIS year should weigh in their favor big time. GMs want it all now.
Post #: 195
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 2:18:14 PM   
David Levine

quote:

But wouldn't teams want to snipe Washington and trade ahead of the #23 pick for a QB, or does that only happen if Minnesota owns the pick ? (That is, if Minnesota goes BPA at #11, then wants Nix or Penix at #23).

Of course the same thing applies to Washington.
Post #: 196
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 2:18:55 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

Unless we trade up to #2, I don't expect any trade to be announced until the pick we're trading up to is on the clock.
Post #: 197
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 2:19:06 PM   
Murph

For the first time it feels like the new regime has a plan and are executing it this off season. It does give me hope.

I hope this isn't just my hangover of euphoria from ridding ourselves of Cousins and his bad contract.

< Message edited by Murph -- 3/15/2024 2:20:19 PM >

Post #: 198
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 2:19:24 PM  1 votes
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

It’s exciting to be a Vikings fan again!!

For now at least. Until Kwesi ****s it all up.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 199
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/15/2024 2:32:37 PM   
David F.

The leverage with New England to convince them to trade the #3 to us comes with the threat to trade up to #2. "Hey look NE, if I'm offering you 11, 23, and and a future 3rd. Anything more than that I'm going to talk to 1 and 2."

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 200
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode