Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) Page: <<   < prev  125 126 [127] 128 129   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/3/2014 8:32:48 PM   
John Childress

That is all that I am saying

I have him in my top 5 all time but in the Super Bowl the guy is no Joe Montana

You go from the highest scoring team of all time to scoring 8 points?

Never has thrown 2 TD passes in a SB game with 3 tries

First time it is a bad game
Second time a coincidence
Third time is a pattern

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 3151
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/3/2014 8:59:45 PM   
Ricky J

And I hope we don't have a 4th time ...
Post #: 3152
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/3/2014 9:36:55 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Childress

quote:

ESPN CONSENSUS PICKS

Super Bowl winner: Denver; AFC champion: Denver; NFC champion: San Francisco

AFC East: New England; AFC West: Denver; AFC North: Cincinnati; AFC South: Indianapolis; Wild cards: San Diego, Kansas City

NFC East: Philadelphia; NFC West: Seattle; NFC North: Green Bay; NFC South: New Orleans; Wild cards: San Francisco, Chicago

MVP: Aaron Rodgers; Coach of the year: Chip Kelly; Offensive ROY: Brandin Cooks; Defensive ROY: Jadeveon Clowney

I wonder if all the sports writers even watched the Super Bowl last year or are they just lost in the Peyton Manning worship?

PS - did they also fall asleep when watching SF all offseason and preseason? WTH!

Agreed. SF is a mess and Harbaugh might be wearing thin on the players. We know he is with mgmnt.

A 3 year old kid could have made those predictions.

In no way shape or form does SF beat Sea

Sea may well repeat unless the NFL does not let them via the officiating

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3153
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/3/2014 10:50:23 PM   
bgdavis

Predictions for 2014 NFL Season

AFC East
Patriots 13-3
Dolphins 7-9
Jets 7-9
Bills 5-11

AFC North
Bengals 9-7 (division winner on tie-breaks)
Steelers 9-7
Ravens 8-8
Browns 4-12

AFC South
Colts 11-5
Titans 8-8
Texans 7-9
Jaguars 5-11

AFC West
Broncos 11-5
Chargers 8-8
Chiefs 7-9
Raiders 4-12

NFC East
Eagles 10-6
Giants 7-9
Redskins 7-9
Cowboys 6-10

NFC North
Packers 10-6
Bears 9-7
Vikings 8-8
Lions 6-10

NFC South
Saints 13-3
Panthers 9-7
Falcons 7-9
Bucs 6-10

NFC West
Seahawks 14-2
Cardinals 11-5
49ers 7-9
Rams 3-13

Pllayoffs
AFC Wildcard round: Colts over Chargers, Bengals over Steelers
NFC Wildcard round: Packers over Panthers, Cardinals over Eagles
AFC Division round: Patriots over Bengals, Broncos over Colts
NFC Divison round: Seahawks over Cardinals, Saints over Packers
AFC Championship: Patriots over Broncos
NFC Championship: Seahawks over Saints
Superbowl: Seahawks over Patriots
Post #: 3154
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/3/2014 11:08:42 PM   
djskillz

Agree on Peyton guys. He's in the top 5 for me, but can't go higher than that. He just hasn't played well in the big pressure games in his life for the most part. 0-4 against Florida in college and heck, even the SB they won they only beat the Pats in the AFC title game because the Pats had a rookie kicker that missed. He's just not the same guy in the big moments.

Also working against Peyton at this point is the track record of old QB's winning it all. There really hasn't been an old QB that's won a SB since Elway. And he had TD as a stud and an all-time great offensive line. That was 15 years ago! We talked about this with Favre too, but I really think it may be a factor of them just wearing down a bit more over the course of 19-20 games. With really good defenses these days too. This factor also works against Brady at this point too.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 3155
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 7:01:09 AM   
John Childress

You summed it up perfectly skillz!

Post #: 3156
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 8:14:24 AM   
Bill Jandro

i will revised these before week 1

2014 NFL Predictions!!! Revised

NFC North

Green Bay 10-6
Chicago   9-7
Minnesota 8-8
Detroit 7-9 

NFC East

Philadelphia 9-7
New York 8-8
Washington 5-11
Dallas 5-11

NFC South 

New Orleans 11-5
Carolina 8-8
Atlanta 6-10
Tampa Bay 6-10

NFC West 

Seattle 11-5
San Francisco 9-7
Saint Louis 8-8
Arizona 8-8

AFC East

New England 12-4
Buffalo 9-7
New York 7-9
Miami     3-13

AFC North

Cinncinati 10-6
Cleveland 8-8
Pittsburgh 6-10
Baltimore   7-9 

AFC South

Indianapolis 11-5
Houston  6-10 
Jacksonville 5-11
Tennessee 8-8

AFC West

Denver 13-3
Kansas City 9-7
San Diego 9-7
Oakland 5-11
[/quote]

Post #: 3157
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 10:48:32 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

Agree on Peyton guys. He's in the top 5 for me, but can't go higher than that. He just hasn't played well in the big pressure games in his life for the most part. 0-4 against Florida in college and heck, even the SB they won they only beat the Pats in the AFC title game because the Pats had a rookie kicker that missed. He's just not the same guy in the big moments.

Also working against Peyton at this point is the track record of old QB's winning it all. There really hasn't been an old QB that's won a SB since Elway. And he had TD as a stud and an all-time great offensive line. That was 15 years ago! We talked about this with Favre too, but I really think it may be a factor of them just wearing down a bit more over the course of 19-20 games. With really good defenses these days too. This factor also works against Brady at this point too.

Which again is why it was so stupid to have him throw the ball 700 times last year.
Post #: 3158
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 10:58:52 AM   
Rob Viking

quote:

Third time is a pattern

Your hatred for Peyton just blinds you from the facts.

He played well in the first SB, sure he didn't put up huge numbers but his playcalling/audibling allowed the Colts to totally control the game vs the Bears, they had 24 1st downs to the Bears 11 and 38:00 TOP.

In the SB vs the Saints he played well again but Garcon dropped on easy 70yd TD that would have blown the game open. The Saints offense played well and they recovered an onside kick. I blame Reggie Wayne for Porter's TD return due to a poor route, Collie also made a poor play right before on a screen pass.

Last SB, his entire offense ran into a buzz saw. No QB could have succeeded the way the Seahawks played that day.

Everyone crowns Tom Brady but what has he done since his team has been skewed more to the offense? He hasn't won one SB, was poor in the first Giants SB and mediocre in the other. He hasn't beaten Manning in the playoffs since 2004. Brady was great in the win over the Panthers but he also had great defenses to carry him to those 3 SB victories. Montana had some great defenses in SF as well, people fail to mention the 49ers were top 3 in defense in each of their SB wins.

Look at this article which shows the fallacy of Manning being a playoff choker and Brady being an all world clutch QB.

http://captaincomeback.wordpress.com/2014/01/19/nfl-conference-championship-predictions-manning-is-better-than-brady-but-so-what-edition/
Post #: 3159
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 11:03:42 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Viking

quote:

Third time is a pattern

He played well in the first SB, sure he didn't put up huge numbers but his playcalling/audibling allowed the Colts to totally control the game vs the Bears, they had 24 1st downs to the Bears 11 and 38:00 TOP.

In the SB vs the Saints he played well again but Garcon dropped on easy 70yd TD that would have blown the game open. The Saints offense played well and they recovered an onside kick. I blame Reggie Wayne for Porter's TD return due to a poor route, Collie also made a poor play right before on a screen pass.

Last SB, his entire offense ran into a buzz saw. No QB could have succeeded the way the Seahawks played that day.

Everyone crowns Tom Brady but what has he done since his team has been skewed more to the offense? He hasn't won one SB, was poor in the first Giants SB and mediocre in the other. He hasn't beaten Manning in the playoffs since 2004. Brady was great in the win over the Panthers but he also had great defenses to carry him to those 3 SB victories. Montana had some great defenses in SF as well, people fail to mention the 49ers were top 3 in defense in each of their SB wins.

Look at this article which shows the fallacy of Manning being a playoff choker and Brady being an all world clutch QB.

http://captaincomeback.wordpress.com/2014/01/19/nfl-conference-championship-predictions-manning-is-better-than-brady-but-so-what-edition/

I don't think hate is a factor here. JC is just stating facts. Peyton has played poorly in all but one of his SB appearances

Post #: 3160
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 11:06:08 AM   
Rob Viking

quote:

The AFC title game where Peyton's offense put up 38 points erasing a 21-3 deficit came down to a kicker? Wrong if anything it was Reche Caldwell who couldn't catch passes for his life.

Why do people rate the SB has the only "big game", by that logic the Vikes haven't played a big game since 1977. There's no doubt he struggled early in his career in the post season, but can anyone say that those very soft Colts teams were playoff type teams (remember Jim Mora)? Only in 2003 did they win their first playoff game in the Manning era.
Post #: 3161
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 11:12:14 AM   
Rob Viking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Third time is a pattern

I don't think hate is a factor here. JC is just stating facts. Peyton has played poorly in all but one of his SB appearances

But they aren't a fact, they're just regurgitated media drivel, with simplistic conclusions.

Last season was the only one I'd say he played poorly. But he was still completing throws but instead of guys gaining 4-5 YAC they were getting blown up for 3 yd gains.

The main issue with Manning's losses is that his teams are so Manning dependent where he needs to play flawless for them to win the SB. When his team loses it's easy to point to Manning. Ask Drew Brees how hard it is to win the SB with no defense has he's found out. And the one he did win he needed 5 TOs from our beloved purple just to get there.
Post #: 3162
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 11:15:13 AM   
John Childress

quote:

quote:

The AFC title game where Peyton's offense put up 38 points erasing a 21-3 deficit came down to a kicker? Wrong if anything it was Reche Caldwell who couldn't catch passes for his life.

Why do people rate the SB has the only "big game", by that logic the Vikes haven't played a big game since 1977. There's no doubt he struggled early in his career in the post season, but can anyone say that those very soft Colts teams were playoff type teams (remember Jim Mora)? Only in 2003 did they win their first playoff game in the Manning era.

SIGH

If you were paying attention, instead of just waiting to pounce on my post, you would have seen the genesis of this conversation.

We were talking about who would win the Super Bowl

Peyton Manning's poor SB performances ARE the issue here.

If you are going to jump in and blast someone first pay attention to the conversation

Post #: 3163
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 11:22:25 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

I don't agree. Manning played like shit but the Broncos were way to slow to adjust to what Seattle was doing and never recovered. The Seahawks D is good but it can be beaten. The Seahawks decided to stop the underneath stuff so no YAC. That would have left holes elsewhere and a good team adjusts and takes advantage of that. The Broncos never did.

Manning should have done more to adapt the gameplan.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 3164
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 11:22:26 AM   
John Childress

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Third time is a pattern

But they aren't a fact, they're just regurgitated media drivel, with simplistic conclusions.

Last season was the only one I'd say he played poorly. But he was still completing throws but instead of guys gaining 4-5 YAC they were getting blown up for 3 yd gains.

The main issue with Manning's losses is that his teams are so Manning dependent where he needs to play flawless for them to win the SB. When his team loses it's easy to point to Manning. Ask Drew Brees how hard it is to win the SB with no defense has he's found out. And the one he did win he needed 5 TOs from our beloved purple just to get there.

These are facts

PM career

491 TDs
219 INTs
97.2 QB rating (110 with Denver)
7.7 Yards per attempt (8.2 with Denver)

PM SB I

25 or 38, 247 yards, 6.5 yards per attempt, 1 TD, 1 INT, 81.8 passer rating

PM SB II

31 or 45, 333 yards, 7.4 yards per attempt, 1 TD, 1 INT, 88.5 passer rating

PM SB III

34 or 49, 280 yards, 5.71 yards per attempt, 1 TD, 2 INT, 73.5 passer rating

It is a fact that Manning significantly underperforms in the Super Bowl

If you can't deal with facts then don't debate

Post #: 3165
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 11:24:00 AM   
John Childress

PM career
97.2 QB rating (110 with Denver)

3 Super Bowls
81.8 passer rating
88.5 passer rating
73.5 passer rating

Post #: 3166
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 11:25:10 AM   
RBIrving

I'm a big fan of Peyton Manning and I definitely think he belongs in the discussion of best ever. I don't as much weight on the Super Bowl over the actual body of work that makes up the entire career of a football player. I thought last year's Super Bowl was a glaring example of the old adage.

Offense wins games, defense wins championships.

“We used to pee down our leg on Monday night or big-time football. I think it’s out the window now.’’
Post #: 3167
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 11:29:37 AM   
John Childress

You can't be the best ever when you consistently underperform in the clutch

quote:

How come Montana didn't choke in the Super Bowl?

Denver had the #1 defense in the NFL in 1989

Joe put up 55 points

Shockingly other QBs are able to maintain or ELEVATE their performance in the biggest game

In 1988 he put 34 points on the #1 defense in the NFL - the Vikings.

The excuses for Peytons subpar SB performances have run out

< Message edited by John Childress -- 9/4/2014 11:31:04 AM >

Post #: 3168
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 12:17:42 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

At the end of the day you still have Peyton Manning at QB though

He is not a big game producer

In 3 Super Bowls, Manning has a total of 3 TD passes an 4 INTs

Even if Denver makes the Super Bowl, and I think NE beats them, the NFC champ will beat them

Whatever John, WHATEVER. Yeah Peyton Manning SUCKS. He is nowhere near as good as big game producers like Dilfer.

3 Super Bowls

3 TD passes

4 INTs

Those are facts

He doesn't play well in the Super Bowl. So OBVIOUSLY one should consider that when making SB predictions

I bet you thought Denver would beat Seattle, right?

How did that work out?

How was Peyton?

Tough Defenses and Small sample size. I think Manning is a cool cucumber whether he is playing in the SuperBowl or a pre-season game. It will take a lot more stats than those to convince me that all of a sudden because it is the SuperBowl Manning becomes a bad QB.
Post #: 3169
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 12:21:19 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

Even if Denver makes the Super Bowl, and I think NE beats them, the NFC champ will beat them

Whatever John, WHATEVER. Yeah Peyton Manning SUCKS. He is nowhere near as good as big game producers like Dilfer.

No one has ever accused Dilfer of being a producer - let alone a big one. His entire job on that team was to stay out of the way.

Manning's teams have been incredibly reliant on him coming up huge for them to win. The guy is clearly one of the best QBs to ever play the game, but he hasn;t been great in Super Bowls.

Mannings numbers in the SB IMO have nothing to do with him choking or not being a big game player. They have to do with Tough Ds and a simple thing called shit happens. If he makes it to the SB this year I will expect him to play quite well. He is 1-2 in SBs so far. I would love to see Bridgewater get to 1-2 in SBs before his career is over.
Post #: 3170
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 12:25:04 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

The older and wearing down late in season thing may have some validity to it. Still if I had my team in the SuperBowl and could take any active QB to try to win it for me Manning would be very high on the list. I would probably have Rodgers and Brees ahead of him but nobody else.
Post #: 3171
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 12:28:09 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: RBIrving

I'm a big fan of Peyton Manning and I definitely think he belongs in the discussion of best ever. I don't as much weight on the Super Bowl over the actual body of work that makes up the entire career of a football player. I thought last year's Super Bowl was a glaring example of the old adage.

SB is wrong or right is weighted heavily

Namoth
yds 27663
tds     173
comp% 50.1
retire 1977

Tarkenton
yds 47003
tds    342
comp% 57
retire 178

Yet Namoth got into the hall befor Tark

Post #: 3172
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 12:32:17 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

SIGH

If you were paying attention, instead of just waiting to pounce on my post, you would have seen the genesis of this conversation.

We were talking about who would win the Super Bowl

Peyton Manning's poor SB performances ARE the issue here.

If you are going to jump in and blast someone first pay attention to the conversation

I won't expect him to play poorly in the SuperBowl so that will not factor into my predictions. If he is playing against a GREAT defensive team than I will expect his numbers to be somewhat deflated.
Post #: 3173
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 12:33:32 PM   
John Childress

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

No one has ever accused Dilfer of being a producer - let alone a big one. His entire job on that team was to stay out of the way.

Manning's teams have been incredibly reliant on him coming up huge for them to win. The guy is clearly one of the best QBs to ever play the game, but he hasn;t been great in Super Bowls.

Mannings numbers in the SB IMO have nothing to do with him choking or not being a big game player. They have to do with Tough Ds and a simple thing called shit happens. If he makes it to the SB this year I will expect him to play quite well. He is 1-2 in SBs so far. I would love to see Bridgewater get to 1-2 in SBs before his career is over.

Shit happens

Great excuse

So when he does well, it is all Peyton but when he sucks it is shit happens?

I get it

Post #: 3174
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 12:35:17 PM   
John Childress

quote:

quote:

The older and wearing down late in season thing may have some validity to it. Still if I had my team in the SuperBowl and could take any active QB to try to win it for me Manning would be very high on the list. I would probably have Rodgers and Brees ahead of him but nobody else.

RUSSELL WILSON!

LMAO

Didn't we just see them both perform in the Super Bowl?

You guys did actually WATCH the game, right?

I am laughing so hard I can barely type

The excuses for Manning are endless.

I would take ELI Manning for a SB before Peyton and so would anyone not smoking ganja

Post #: 3175
Page:   <<   < prev  125 126 [127] 128 129   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) Page: <<   < prev  125 126 [127] 128 129   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode