Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) Page: <<   < prev  126 127 [128] 129 130   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 12:35:57 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Childress

These are facts

PM career

491 TDs
219 INTs
97.2 QB rating (110 with Denver)
7.7 Yards per attempt (8.2 with Denver)

PM SB I

25 or 38, 247 yards, 6.5 yards per attempt, 1 TD, 1 INT, 81.8 passer rating

PM SB II

31 or 45, 333 yards, 7.4 yards per attempt, 1 TD, 1 INT, 88.5 passer rating

PM SB III

34 or 49, 280 yards, 5.71 yards per attempt, 1 TD, 2 INT, 73.5 passer rating

It is a fact that Manning significantly underperforms in the Super Bowl

If you can't deal with facts then don't debate

I don't argue that Mannings SuperBowl performances have not been as good as his average performances. Once again Good or Great ds and small sample size. I don't expect Manning to play any different in SuperBowls than any other game. Now I know there is this thing about raising your level for the big games but every player on the field should be raising their level for the big game. It should be a wash.
Post #: 3176
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 12:36:07 PM   
John Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: RBIrving

I'm a big fan of Peyton Manning and I definitely think he belongs in the discussion of best ever. I don't as much weight on the Super Bowl over the actual body of work that makes up the entire career of a football player. I thought last year's Super Bowl was a glaring example of the old adage.

Offense wins games, defense wins championships.

SB is wrong or right is weighted heavily

Namoth
yds 27663
tds     173
comp% 50.1
retire 1977

Tarkenton
yds 47003
tds    342
comp% 57
retire 178

Yet Namoth got into the hall befor Tark

SB was part of that injustice

The other part is NYC bias

Fran was a much better QB IMO

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 3177
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 12:39:12 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: RBIrving

I'm a big fan of Peyton Manning and I definitely think he belongs in the discussion of best ever. I don't as much weight on the Super Bowl over the actual body of work that makes up the entire career of a football player. I thought last year's Super Bowl was a glaring example of the old adage.

Offense wins games, defense wins championships.

SB is wrong or right is weighted heavily

Namoth
yds 27663
tds     173
comp% 50.1
retire 1977

Tarkenton
yds 47003
tds    342
comp% 57
retire 178

Yet Namoth got into the hall befor Tark

And that is a perfect example of how wrong it is to put extra weight on the SB. Tark had to face some all time great Ds in his SB appearances.
Post #: 3178
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 12:42:32 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

Agree on Peyton guys. He's in the top 5 for me, but can't go higher than that. He just hasn't played well in the big pressure games in his life for the most part. 0-4 against Florida in college and heck, even the SB they won they only beat the Pats in the AFC title game because the Pats had a rookie kicker that missed. He's just not the same guy in the big moments.

Also working against Peyton at this point is the track record of old QB's winning it all. There really hasn't been an old QB that's won a SB since Elway. And he had TD as a stud and an all-time great offensive line. That was 15 years ago! We talked about this with Favre too, but I really think it may be a factor of them just wearing down a bit more over the course of 19-20 games. With really good defenses these days too. This factor also works against Brady at this point too.

The older and wearing down late in season thing may have some validity to it. Still if I had my team in the SuperBowl and could take any active QB to try to win it for me Manning would be very high on the list. I would probably have Rodgers and Brees ahead of him but nobody else.

RUSSELL WILSON!

LMAO

Didn't we just see them both perform in the Super Bowl?

You guys did actually WATCH the game, right?

I am laughing so hard I can barely type

The excuses for Manning are endless.

I would take ELI Manning for a SB before Peyton and so would anyone not smoking ganja

Here you go again with the Russell Wilson WORSHIP. He is a good certainly not great QB. He was on the best team. They won. Switch Manning and Wilson for the SuperBowl and Seattle wins again. Can't be proven of course. Manning, Brees, and Rodgers are all much better QBs and certainly give their teams the best play from the QB position in order to win. Wilson happens to have the best team and TEAMS win SBs.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 9/4/2014 12:49:02 PM >
Post #: 3179
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 12:43:44 PM   
Rob Viking

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree on Peyton guys. He's in the top 5 for me, but can't go higher than that. He just hasn't played well in the big pressure games in his life for the most part. 0-4 against Florida in college and heck, even the SB they won they only beat the Pats in the AFC title game because the Pats had a rookie kicker that missed. He's just not the same guy in the big moments.

Also working against Peyton at this point is the track record of old QB's winning it all. There really hasn't been an old QB that's won a SB since Elway. And he had TD as a stud and an all-time great offensive line. That was 15 years ago! We talked about this with Favre too, but I really think it may be a factor of them just wearing down a bit more over the course of 19-20 games. With really good defenses these days too. This factor also works against Brady at this point too.

The older and wearing down late in season thing may have some validity to it. Still if I had my team in the SuperBowl and could take any active QB to try to win it for me Manning would be very high on the list. I would probably have Rodgers and Brees ahead of him but nobody else.

RUSSELL WILSON!

LMAO

I would take ELI Manning for a SB before Peyton and so would anyone not smoking ganja

Here you go again with the Russell Wilson WORSHIP. He is a good certainly not great QB. He was on the best team. They won. Switch Manning and Wilson for the SuperBowl and Seattle wins again. Can't be proven of course.

Switch Wilson with half the QBs in the NFL and they go 13-3 and win the SB.
Post #: 3180
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 12:46:01 PM   
John Childress

You weight many factors - how you play in big games will always be one of the key factors.

Again, Manning is a Top 5 QB

He just isn't the best and the reason is specifically because of his subpar SB performances.

If Manning just performed at his average level in those games, even 2 of the 3, people would talk about him legitimately as the best.

He didn't play at his career average level in ANY of them

Lost 2

and the 1 he won was weak

Montana's performance INCREASED in the Super Bowl and posteason

His QB rating went up from 92 to 95

In the SB, he put up

147.6 against the #1 defense in the NFL that year

Compare that to Petyon and you can see why Joe is #1

Post #: 3181
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 12:47:15 PM   
John Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Viking

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

RUSSELL WILSON!

LMAO

Here you go again with the Russell Wilson WORSHIP. He is a good certainly not great QB. He was on the best team. They won. Switch Manning and Wilson for the SuperBowl and Seattle wins again. Can't be proven of course.

ha ah

funny

Let's make up imaginary scenarios

I stay in reality

IN the REAL WORLD, Wilson was clearly better in the big game.

Must really burn you that you have to make up imaginary scenarios

LMAO

Post #: 3182
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 12:48:30 PM   
John Childress

Manning

25 or 38, 247 yards, 6.5 yards per attempt, 1 TD, 1 INT, 81.8 passer rating
31 or 45, 333 yards, 7.4 yards per attempt, 1 TD, 1 INT, 88.5 passer rating
34 or 49, 280 yards, 5.71 yards per attempt, 1 TD, 2 INT, 73.5 passer rating

Montana

FACTS

Try them sometimes

Post #: 3183
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 12:49:54 PM   
John Childress

FANTASY LAND

Switch Manning with half the QBs in the NFL and the Colts win one SB.

Yeah, I can play dumb as shit what ifs also

Post #: 3184
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 12:51:47 PM   
Rob Viking

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

RUSSELL WILSON!

LMAO

ha ah

funny

I stay in reality

LMAO

Wilson didn't have to do anything in that game until the game was out of reach. I don't blame him no need to throw when your dominating but lets not act like he had to make that many plays.
Post #: 3185
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 12:53:00 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

RUSSELL WILSON!

LMAO

ha ah

funny

I stay in reality

LMAO

JC you can have Wilson. OK you can worship him. Bottom line is there are 3QBs in the league that without doubt are better. There are another maybe 7 that are arguably as good or better. I like Wilson. Good QB. Wilson did not win the SB for the Seahawks. The team won it.
Post #: 3186
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 12:57:59 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

You weight many factors - how you play in big games will always be one of the key factors.

He just isn't the best and the reason is specifically because of his subpar SB performances.

If Manning just performed at his average level in those games, even 2 of the 3, people would talk about him legitimately as the best.

Lost 2

In the SB, he put up

Montana did very well in SBs. Good for him. That doesn't mean that Manning is going to play poorly if he makes it to the SB again. You take it as a given that Manning is going to play poorly in the SB because there is something in his makeup that says "this is the biggest game. I have to go out and play poorly now". I just don't believe that is true.
Post #: 3187
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 12:58:18 PM   
Rob Viking

quote:

Lost 2

In the SB, he put up

Montana was great in the SB no doubt. I don't think it was a matter of Joe elevating his game to amazing heights, his teams clicked. Peyton and his offenses were a little out of sync especially last season.

I personally rate Peyton #1 all time, I'd even have Steve Young on par with Montana tbh. His body of work and consistency shouldn't be severely diminished because of playoff and SB failures several of which were out of his control.
Post #: 3188
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 1:00:36 PM   
Rob Viking

quote:

FANTASY LAND

Switch Manning with half the QBs in the league and the Colts are a lottery team with perhaps 1 playoff appearance. At least we have proof of that with a bottom 5 QB for one season at least.
Post #: 3189
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 1:01:15 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Lost 2

In the SB, he put up

Montana was great in the SB no doubt. I don't think it was a matter of Joe elevating his game to amazing heights, his teams clicked. Peyton and his offenses were a little out of sync especially last season.

I personally rate Peyton #1 all time, I'd even have Steve Young on par with Montana tbh. His body of work and consistency shouldn't be severely diminished because of playoff and SB failures several of which were out of his control.

Vikings destroyed Montana one playoff game. Personally I love Tark and have his as a very similar QB to Montana. I bet Montana watched a lot of Tark growing up and modeled his game after him.
Post #: 3190
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 1:02:38 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

FANTASY LAND

Switch Manning with half the QBs in the league and the Colts are a lottery team with perhaps 1 playoff appearance. At least we have proof of that with a bottom 5 QB for one season at least.

Great point. Take Manning away and what was their record? 1-15 or something like that. Take Wilson away from Seattle and I don't think that happens.
Post #: 3191
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 1:07:24 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

FANTASY LAND

Great point. Take Manning away and what was their record? 1-15 or something like that. Take Wilson away from Seattle and I don't think that happens.

Manning away from the Colts, and the Colts sucked for Luck.
Wilson away from the Seahawks, they don't win 13, but they still win a lot.
Wilson does what is asked, don't make mistakes, make the big throw when necessary. Lead.
He could be on the cusp of greatly elevating his game though.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 3192
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 1:17:56 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

FANTASY LAND

Manning away from the Colts, and the Colts sucked for Luck.
Wilson away from the Seahawks, they don't win 13, but they still win a lot.
Wilson does what is asked, don't make mistakes, make the big throw when necessary. Lead.
He could be on the cusp of greatly elevating his game though.

I would like to see the Seahawks open it up a bit. I would love to see them get Harvin very involved in the offense. It will be interesting to see if Wilson can keep up the efficiency with higher volume. If the Seahawks remain playoff contenders for the next 12 years with Wilson at the helm I will gain more respect for him and Pete Carroll. I know Wilson is good. He hasn't given me any indication of being great but maybe he can be great.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 9/4/2014 1:20:59 PM >
Post #: 3193
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 1:19:35 PM   
John Childress

For a QB

I care far more about him making smart plays under pressure

We set records in 98 and 09 but our QBs couldn't get it done when it counted

A guy like Brad Johnson, who I once SHUNNED, got it done when it counted for TB

I have had enough great offensive stats

If Russell Wilson keeps it up like this he will be great.

Post #: 3194
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 1:21:05 PM   
Troy Newell

You can't use strictly stats and or Superbowl victories to point to who is and who is not a good QB. That completely discounts the players who help them compile those stats and superbowl wins. IE, IF Archie Manning and Terry Bradshaw were on the opposite teams......do you think Bradshaw would have on a single superbowl as qb of the saints? let alone win 4 of them?
Post #: 3195
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 1:22:04 PM   
RBIrving

Please notice I did not say Peyton was the best ever, I simply said he belongs in the conversation. Montana is hard to overlook as the best, even more so because he played on arguably the best offense in the history of the NFL.

I have 7 reasons to discount the value of the Super Bowl in the discussion as to who is the best.

Trent Dilfer
Jim Plunkett
Doug Williams
Jeff Hostetler
Mark Rypien
Brad Johnson
Joe Namath

All these guys have Super Bowl rings and not a single one of them deserves to be in the conversation as to who is the best. Never forget that football is a team sport and no game is won or lost based on the play of a single player. Peyton Manning is a throwback as he is truly a general on the field, he directs the offense from the field of play. If the choice is this season is between Eli and Peyton there's simply no doubt that Eli is clearly done and that remains to be seen with Peyton.

“We used to pee down our leg on Monday night or big-time football. I think it’s out the window now.’’
Post #: 3196
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 1:24:33 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

For a QB

I care far more about him making smart plays under pressure

We set records in 98 and 09 but our QBs couldn't get it done when it counted

A guy like Brad Johnson, who I once SHUNNED, got it done when it counted for TB

I have had enough great offensive stats

If Russell Wilson keeps it up like this he will be great.

In 98 Cunningham was injured in the final game and should have been replaced by the guy you mentioned Brad Johnson. I don't think Johnson had much to do with Tampa's title. I agree with you regarding this comment on Wilson. If he can keep it up for 10 years or more with this level of efficiency I will call him great. Not on Manning's level but still great.
Post #: 3197
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 1:47:08 PM   
John Childress

Stats versus Winning

THere are 12 QBs with more career passing yards than Joe Montana.

He is 11th in passing TDs

so what?

Funny how Brady was winning Super Bowls when he was passing less?

Post #: 3198
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 1:50:02 PM   
RBIrving

Funny how Brady was winning Super Bowls until the Pats got caught cheating and had to clean up their act, how many since then?

“We used to pee down our leg on Monday night or big-time football. I think it’s out the window now.’’
Post #: 3199
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 9/4/2014 1:51:50 PM   
RBIrving

quote:

Stats versus Winning

THere are 12 QBs with more career passing yards than Joe Montana.

He is 11th in passing TDs

so what?

Funny how Brady was winning Super Bowls when he was passing less?

Stats simply don't tell the whole story, neither does winning Super Bowls or are you really gonna consider Bradshaw as one of the best ever?

Post #: 3200
Page:   <<   < prev  126 127 [128] 129 130   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) Page: <<   < prev  126 127 [128] 129 130   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode