Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Culpepper

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Former Vikings >> Culpepper Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Culpepper - 7/20/2007 1:54:54 PM   
Duane Sampson

He's visiting Tampa Bay per ESPN

< Message edited by Toby Stumbo -- 12/21/2007 1:38:26 PM >
Post #: 1
RE:Culpepper - 7/20/2007 3:26:45 PM   
Jeff Jesser

how many Qb's do they want/need?
Post #: 2
RE:Culpepper - 7/20/2007 3:30:21 PM   
Duane Sampson

That's what I was thinking too.
Post #: 3
RE:Culpepper - 7/20/2007 4:04:02 PM   
Toby Stumbo

Yeah, I heard this on NFL Network last night. I guess Gruden hasn't found his QB yet. :shock:
Post #: 4
RE:Culpepper - 7/20/2007 4:25:58 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I guess if you pick up and throw enough pooo against the wall some is bound to stick.
Post #: 5
RE:Culpepper - 7/21/2007 12:48:23 AM   
John Childress

I am starting to think that more and more Daunte is done. I don't think his knee will ever be close to 100% and he will forever be a sitting duck back there unless he works his tail off and drops at least 30 pounds. Everyone points to Palmer or someone as to how fast they came back but each injury is different. Each human being is different. Remember Torrian Gray? Bernard King? Sometimes guys just aren't the same any more. I will be shocked if the Falcons don't sign him.
Post #: 6
RE:Culpepper - 7/21/2007 1:33:26 AM   
Jeff Jesser

I don't even think it's his knee at this point. His head/attitude is all messed up right now IMO.
Post #: 7
RE:Culpepper - 7/21/2007 3:56:27 AM   
Todd M

[quote="John Childress"] I will be shocked if the Falcons don't sign him.[/quote] So will I. It would make for a way better first game. The hope being that he started and Vick was suspended.
Post #: 8
RE:Culpepper - 7/21/2007 4:59:48 AM   
John Childress

[quote="Jeff Jesser"]I don't even think it's his knee at this point. His head/attitude is all messed up right now IMO.[/quote] I am sure that his knee is bad. I watched him in Miami and he couldn't move
Post #: 9
RE:Culpepper - 7/21/2007 7:13:49 AM   
thebigo

[quote="Jeff Jesser"]I don't even think it's his knee at this point. His head/attitude is all messed up right now IMO.[/quote] Huh?
Post #: 10
RE:Culpepper - 7/21/2007 7:15:25 AM   
thebigo

[quote="John Childress"][quote="Jeff Jesser"]I don't even think it's his knee at this point. His head/attitude is all messed up right now IMO.[/quote] I am sure that his knee is bad. I watched him in Miami and he couldn't move[/quote] He was 10 months removed from the injury. Now he's about 20 months removed from it.
Post #: 11
RE:Culpepper - 7/21/2007 1:31:48 PM   
John Childress

[quote="thebigo"][quote="John Childress"][quote="Jeff Jesser"]I don't even think it's his knee at this point. His head/attitude is all messed up right now IMO.[/quote] I am sure that his knee is bad. I watched him in Miami and he couldn't move[/quote] He was 10 months removed from the injury. Now he's about 20 months removed from it.[/quote] Doesn't matter - some guys just never heal properly. I could run down the list for you but you get the point. Even with today's medicine many guys never play again at a high level. When I see Culpepper move anywhere close to 2004 form I will buy the theory that it is all in his head. I don't care what his record or QB rating is this year - let's see if he can move. If he moves fine but still sucks then I will agree.
Post #: 12
RE:Culpepper - 7/21/2007 2:40:51 PM   
Jeff Jesser

[quote="thebigo"][quote="Jeff Jesser"]I don't even think it's his knee at this point. His head/attitude is all messed up right now IMO.[/quote] Huh?[/quote] I don't even think it's his knee at this point. His head/attitude is all messed up right now, IMO. Better?
Post #: 13
RE:Culpepper - 7/21/2007 4:23:02 PM   
thebigo

[quote="Jeff Jesser"][quote="thebigo"][quote="Jeff Jesser"]I don't even think it's his knee at this point. His head/attitude is all messed up right now IMO.[/quote] Huh?[/quote] I don't even think it's his knee at this point. His head/attitude is all messed up right now, IMO. Better?[/quote] What's the matter with his attitude? He doesn't want to play?
Post #: 14
RE:Culpepper - 7/21/2007 4:24:50 PM   
thebigo

[quote="John Childress"][quote="thebigo"][quote="John Childress"][quote="Jeff Jesser"]I don't even think it's his knee at this point. His head/attitude is all messed up right now IMO.[/quote] I am sure that his knee is bad. I watched him in Miami and he couldn't move[/quote] He was 10 months removed from the injury. Now he's about 20 months removed from it.[/quote] Doesn't matter - some guys just never heal properly. I could run down the list for you but you get the point. Even with today's medicine many guys never play again at a high level. When I see Culpepper move anywhere close to 2004 form I will buy the theory that it is all in his head. I don't care what his record or QB rating is this year - let's see if he can move. If he moves fine but still sucks then I will agree.[/quote] It does matter. When you have an injury/surgery considered a 2 year recovery, 1 year vs 2 clearly matters. I'm not saying he will ever be back to 100%. I also don't know what JJ means with it's all in his head/attitude. He's afraid to take a hit? If that's the case, if the knee is sound, that fear always goes away.
Post #: 15
RE:Culpepper - 7/21/2007 6:45:39 PM   
DeLain

[quote="thebigo"][quote="Jeff Jesser"][quote="thebigo"][quote="Jeff Jesser"]I don't even think it's his knee at this point. His head/attitude is all messed up right now IMO.[/quote] Huh?[/quote] I don't even think it's his knee at this point. His head/attitude is all messed up right now, IMO. Better?[/quote] What's the matter with his attitude? He doesn't want to play?[/quote] His Head can't keep up with his physical abilities and his attitude is scaring teems away.
Post #: 16
RE:Culpepper - 7/23/2007 4:03:04 PM   
Duane Sampson

Miami Quietly Releases Culpepper by Lloyd Vance, lloydvance@blackathlete.com POSTED: Jul 23, 2007 PHILADELPHIA -- Lost in all of the events surrounding the Michael Vick "who let the dogs fight" soap opera of the past couple of days was that two-time Pro Bowl quarterback Daunte Culpepper was officially released by the Dolphins. Last Monday's release on ended a brief drama filled, one-year relationship including three months of limbo after Miami's acquisition of former Chiefs quarterback Trent Green. The move was done a day before Culpepper's NFLPA grievance against the Dolphins for breaching his contract was to be heard by NFL Arbitrator John Feerick (same guy who ruled in Steve McNair's favor against the Titans in a similar case in 2006). I think it was dastardly of the Dolphins to first not let Culpepper practice with his teammates after he'd shown up at the Miami training facility ready to work on June 8th and secondly for them to hold up Daunte's release by new Dolphins Head Coach Cam Cameron and GM Rick Mueller. They both said that they didn't want Culpepper to be a distraction, but everyone knew they were just turning the screws on him after the Green acquisition by keeping him on the roster and sheepishly looking for a trade that would have basically never come. Culpepper never really fit in at Miami and he could not get his career back on track after tearing his ACL, MCL, and PCL in a horrific play versus the Panthers in 2005 causing him to miss the fnal nine games. The injury was the final straw that ended a horrible year for the Culpepper and the Vikings including the "Love Boat" fiasco and the firing of Head Coach Mike Tice. New Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress and Vikings owner Zygi Wilff pushed Culpepper out the door due to his immaturity (their belief), comments about the Vikings, and his own rehab plans. When Culpepper was traded to the Dolphins in March of 2006, he thought it was a dream situation and he even restructured his 10-year, $102 million contract extension, which included $16 million in guarantees that he signed with the Vikings in 2003 to play in his home state of Florida. However Culpepper's "dream" became a self-described nightmare as he was rushed back by former Dolphins Head Coach Nick Saban, to justify trading a 2nd rounder for him. Culpepper looked good early losing weight and putting on his old college No. 8 in preseason, but he was clearly not the same player once the real bullets started flying. He was sacked 21 times in four regular season games (1-3) and was extremely tentative before being shut down for the year throwing for 929 yards with two touchdowns and three picks. With the release of Culpepper, the Dolphins cleared $1.3 million in cap room and their QB picture is now in the hands of the 37-year-old Green, unproven backup Cleo Lemon, and second round pick John Beck. Culpepper, who serves as his own agent, will now need to find a team interested in his services (possible landing spots are below). Hopefully after some much needed rest, he can come back closer to the player we saw in his Pro Bowl years of 2000 and 2004 when he had 40 total touchdowns (running and passing). For his career, Culpepper has played in 85 NFL games completing 64.2 percent of his passes with 21,091 yards passing and 137 touchdowns and 89 INTs. Rumored teams that could be interested in signing the 8-year pro include: Jaguars: They appear to be the early leaders in the clubhouse due to Culpepper's Northern Florida roots. They also don't seem interested in signing current quarterback Byron Leftwich, who will be a free agent after the 2007 season. Culpepper also has worked with Jags Assistant Mike Tice and GM James Harris has been a big fan of his since the 1999 draft. Falcons: With the Michael Vick's season and future up in the air over dogfighting allegations, having a Pro Bowl ready quarterback in the wings would not hurt. Current backups Joey Harrington (who was also with Miami in 2006) and D.J. Shockley are also uninspiring. Patriots: A chance for Culpepper to join the league's greatest rotisserie team. Backup QB Matt Cassel has little playing experience and Culpepper would be another big free agent acquisition for the Pats this off-season. Rams: Culpepper has a previous relationship with Head Coach Scott Linehan from his glory days in Minnesota. Packers: Brett Favre can't be there forever and Culpepper knows the NFC North division well. Plus is anyone inspired enough to think 2005 1st rounder Aaron Rodgers is ready to lead the Pack. Texans: Need a viable NFL backup to new quarterback Matt Schaub who has only two NFL starts.
Post #: 17
RE:Culpepper - 7/23/2007 6:17:47 PM   
Jeff Jesser

[quote="DeLain"][quote="thebigo"][quote="Jeff Jesser"][quote="thebigo"][quote="Jeff Jesser"]I don't even think it's his knee at this point. His head/attitude is all messed up right now IMO.[/quote] Huh?[/quote] I don't even think it's his knee at this point. His head/attitude is all messed up right now, IMO. Better?[/quote] What's the matter with his attitude? He doesn't want to play?[/quote] His Head can't keep up with his physical abilities and his attitude is scaring teems away.[/quote] Sorry, I just got back on this AM. DJ sums it up pretty well. I would also add that he's a terrible leader and now is acting like a total diva. I've said it many times. Culpepper does well when things go good for him. When they don't, he tries to hard and that turns in to pouting.
Post #: 18
RE:Culpepper - 7/23/2007 7:56:10 PM   
Chris Olson

Would Pep want to battle Harrington for the starting job again? Could his ego handle getting beat out by him? I think we will have some insight into the state of Pep's mind by whether he jumps at the Atlanta opportunity...which, IMO is his best shot at a starting role immediately...though the Jacksonville job may be a possibility, too, if Leftwich blows it this year, and he could have Tice to coddle him...would he have the confidence that he could beat out Harrington? Maybe he thinks Tice gives him an 'in" with J-ville...or maybe he thinks Garcia is only a one-year band aid for Tampa and he would be able to take over mid-season or possibly next year...something tells me he ain't going to Atlanta...
Post #: 19
RE:Culpepper - 7/23/2007 10:38:05 PM   
Tim Cady

I still think Culpepper will come back and have a career. News out of Jacksonville is it won't be there. Which is too bad because I wouldn't mind picking up Leftwich, if they released him. Tampa, really has no one. Plummer won't play(although if he has to pay back 8 million is bonus money he might be willing to hold the clipboard) Simms' should probably sit out a year for health reasons. Counting on Garcia for the whole year would be about as short sighted as counting on Nick Punto to be your everyday 3rd baseman. StLouis would be the best place for him to land. No pressure to start. Good back up to Bulger and then be ready for 2008. Houston-Schaub is overated, but I don't think the type offense they are planning to run are a good fit. Washington Redskins and Joe Gibbs would be a good fit for Daunte. Chicago or Green Bay would be alright, except for Daunte doesn't seem to be a west coast quarterback to me. Lions-Kitna and what? Dallas could use a quarterback. Romo, Johnson - Please! Carolina? What do they have? Delhomme is done in my opinion. New Orleans to back up Breez. I think Daunte should be looking for a backup job for this year. New England would be a nice place to finish the recuperation and get some quality coaching. New York Jets-Pennington is fragile and can't throw much better than Brad Johnson. Kellen Clemons?Glad we dodged that bullit. Lots of choices-This league does not have enough quality quarterbacks. Half the starters are not as good as Jeff George. According to Jeff George. I tend to agree with him. Atlanta-would be a good place if he is actually ready to go now.
Post #: 20
RE:Culpepper - 7/24/2007 5:18:11 AM   
thebigo

[quote="DeLain"][quote="thebigo"][quote="Jeff Jesser"][quote="thebigo"][quote="Jeff Jesser"]I don't even think it's his knee at this point. His head/attitude is all messed up right now IMO.[/quote] Huh?[/quote] I don't even think it's his knee at this point. His head/attitude is all messed up right now, IMO. Better?[/quote] What's the matter with his attitude? He doesn't want to play?[/quote] His Head can't keep up with his physical abilities and his attitude is scaring teems away.[/quote] His attitude has always been one of giving 110%, exactly what he was doing when he was trying to do everything he could to pull the Vikes O out of their early 2005 doldrums, and had his knee blown up as he was trying to get everything out a play. I don't see how anyone who has seen Daunte play over his career can fault his attitude.
Post #: 21
RE:Culpepper - 7/24/2007 4:26:48 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Maybe attitude is the wrong word. Mental makeup, confidence, leadership, field awareness??
Post #: 22
RE:Culpepper - 7/25/2007 8:07:24 PM   
Duane Sampson

-- Jaguars Not Pursuing Culpepper -- Wed Jul 25, 2007 Speaking on the season debut of The Jack Del Rio Show last night on WOKV, the Jacksonville Jaguars HC Jack Del Rio said that the team wasn't negotiating with former Dolphins QB Daunte Culpepper. "We said we'd investigate it and we have," Del Rio said. "My gut is it's not going to be a fit for us and for him." The biggest sticking point seems to be that Culpepper wants to be the starter, and as the Jaguars have been saying all along, he would come to Jacksonville as a backup to QB Byron Leftwich.
Post #: 23
RE:Culpepper - 7/27/2007 11:54:05 PM   
Toby Stumbo

Culpepper willing to sign as backup quarterback Daunte Culpepper As he takes a patient approach to finding a new team, Daunte Culpepper promises he no longer is the weak-kneed quarterback who was so easy to sack last season. "The team that gets me and sees me move will be very happy with where I am physically," Culpepper wrote in a lengthy e-mail to USA TODAY. "When I get the chance to finally practice and play, those questions will be answered." Culpepper, 30, was released by the Miami Dolphins on July 17. He became expendable after the team acquired Trent Green in a trade with the Kansas City Chiefs. Last season, Culpepper was benched after enduring 21 sacks in four games as Miami got off to a 1-3 start. Culpepper never appeared fully recovered from major surgery in 2005 for three torn ligaments in his right knee. That injury had cost him the final nine games of the 2005 season. Then during last season's cameo, he suffered another knee injury. "My knee is doing great. It is much stronger, and there is no pain," Culpepper says. "Last year there was still swelling, and it was much weaker." He says his knee is fully recovered, and "I have moved from the rehab mode in May to a full workout regimen." Jacksonville was considered one of the possible destinations for Culpepper, a three-time Pro Bowler. But Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio said on his radio show this week he didn't think that would happen. Del Rio said, "It just doesn't seem like it's going to fit for us and for him," but added, "I wouldn't totally rule it out." Culpepper, who serves as his own agent, says he is talking to some teams but is "choosing to keep things quiet from my end." He met with Tampa Bay last week. "I am approaching this whole process systematically," Culpepper says, adding he's more concerned about prospective teams' offensive schemes than with location or a team's 2006 won-loss record. "If it is the right system, then I am convinced I can help the team win and get to the playoffs," Culpepper says. Culpepper is willing to work his way back onto the field as a backup quarterback if there's a chance to regain a starting role. "If my role is to be a backup, that that will be fine for the short term," Culpepper says. "I do not see myself as a backup quarterback, and I expect that any coach I play for will expect the cream to rise to the top." Culpepper adds, "When my opportunity comes I will be back to being a starter in the NFL for a long time." That was the Dolphins' hope when they acquired Culpepper in a trade for a 2006 second-round draft choice during Nick Saban's two-year tenure as head coach. Miami, on the advice of medical personnel, went after Culpepper instead of free agent Drew Brees. Brees, who was coming off shoulder surgery, signed with New Orleans and led the NFL in passing yards. Culpepper says he doesn't regret the lost season in Miami. If nothing else, it allowed him to spend a year near his adoptive mother, Emma Culpepper, who died in May at 92, in Ocala, Fla. "I am not a guy that regrets a good decision I made that turned out differently than I had expected," Culpepper says. Culpepper was released the day before an arbitrator was to hear his contract grievance against Miami. New Dolphins coach Cam Cameron had held Culpepper out of offseason workouts, and Culpepper responded by saying he would block any trade Miami attempted. By Tom Weir, USA TODAY (Copyright 2007 by USA Today. All Rights Reserved.)
Post #: 24
RE:Culpepper - 7/30/2007 1:10:39 AM   
[quote="Jeff Jesser"]Maybe attitude is the wrong word. Mental makeup, confidence, leadership, field awareness??[/quote] Jeff you are right on about Culpepper. Several here keep using the injury excuse for his failings. The league has finally awakened to his abilites. I love how all the apologists come out to his defense. He had some good moments as a quarterback, however, I believe those days are long gone. The guy thinks way too much of himself. He is lacks in personal responsibility, plain and simple. His emails for attention are pathetic and self serving. The injury excuse can only be used for so long. Interestingly, Tim Couch was signed over Culpepper in Jackonsville.
  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Former Vikings >> Culpepper Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode