Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Basketball

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: College Basketball Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Basketball - 1/17/2009 10:33:11 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

It's definitely college basketball heaven today. Add NC and Miami and we have a buffett of rated teams .

Yeah, UNC is a 17 point favorite, and I kind of like Miami to cover but I might be having spam and ripple for dinner if I lose the above six.

I am curious how UNC handles Jack McClinton though.  They have been having a lot of trouble stopping good scoring guards, and McClinton is one of the top 3 point shooters in the country.
  Post #: 76
RE: College Basketball - 1/17/2009 10:36:13 AM   
Steve Lentz

I'm interested in how terrence Williams plays against Pittsburgh. His game seems to be evolving a bit and it will be tested today.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 77
RE: College Basketball - 1/17/2009 10:48:48 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

I'm interested in how terrence Williams plays against Pittsburgh. His game seems to be evolving a bit and it will be tested today.

I like Williams a lot.  Pitt doesn't play a lot of zone defense, but we may see some of it tonight because they really don't have a good defensive match-up for Williams because he's so versatile.  I'd give him the perimeter shot all night and just try to keep him out of the paint.
  Post #: 78
RE: College Basketball - 1/17/2009 11:21:04 AM   
djskillz

Yep.  Going to be a great day for sure.  I love this time of year!

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 79
RE: College Basketball - 1/17/2009 12:58:18 PM   
djskillz

Uh, ya, Gerald Henderson is an athletic freak.

You know you've got a freak when your 6-4 player jumps for the opening tip consistently.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 80
RE: College Basketball - 1/17/2009 3:07:11 PM   
Pete M.

Great win for Duke--Gerald Henderson is now a bona fide superstar. What a sick, sick athlete. Of course, I shut a freshman Gerald down when I guarded him, if by shutting down, you mean I was able to disentangle myself, turn around, and call for help before he was at the rim. 
Post #: 81
RE: College Basketball - 1/17/2009 3:08:27 PM   
djskillz

Post #: 82
RE: College Basketball - 1/17/2009 4:05:49 PM   
Elliot

Jerrells with a nice game for Baylor.  I have a hard time believing he won't be drafted in the first round.

Life is just what happens to you,
While you're busy making other plans

~ John Lennon
Post #: 83
RE: College Basketball - 1/17/2009 7:17:41 PM   
djskillz

Man, Pitt just fell apart at the end tonight. 

I still really, really like that team for tourney time though.  Blair is just a man among boys.

Post #: 84
RE: College Basketball - 1/17/2009 7:34:56 PM   
Jake Carlson

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

Man, Pitt just fell apart at the end tonight. 

I still really, really like that team for tourney time though.  Blair is just a man among boys.

Hey Dustin!  This sure helps the Goph's win over Louisville look much nicer!
Post #: 85
RE: College Basketball - 1/17/2009 7:51:05 PM   
djskillz

Yo man.  Ya, it does. 

That really was a big win.  I still expect Louisville to be at least in the Elite 8 this year.

Post #: 86
RE: College Basketball - 1/17/2009 11:17:37 PM   
A great day for basketball.

Louisville at home against Pitt tonight, Louisville is a 2.5 favorite.  Pitt is due for a loss, but it won't be tonight.
A couple of interesting matchups in this one.  Blair and Samuels should be interesting.  And I expect Young and Clark to be matched up as well.  Terrence Williams is going to be a problem for Pitt, but I don't think Louisville has an answer for Fields.  Both teams rebound very well and have similar bench production.  Pitt takes care of the ball so well and they're extremely physical.  If Pitt can shoot reasonably well from the perimeter, I think they win easily.  They do have Syracuse on Monday, but in this conference you can't look ahead.  Pittsburgh.

Pitino over Dixon.  I was surprised that Pitt did so poorly against the press.  Louisville really took them out of their game.  I do think Dixon was too quick to pull Young and Blair in the first half, both with two fouls.  Right after that, Pitt went over five minutes without scoring. 

Clemson at home against Wake Forest, Clemson is a 2 point favorite in this one.  Battle of the undefeated.  I love the way Purnell teaches defense, and he gets the most out of his bench, but I think Wake covers and wins.
Contrast in styles in this game.  Clemson relies heavily on the 3, while Wake takes fewer 3 attempts than anybody in the conference.
Players to watch, Clemson:  Trevor Booker and K.C. Rivers.  Rivers is a big SG, good 3 point shot and a great defender.  He's a senior and I think he has a shot to go in the first round.
Wake Forest:  Teague and Aminu.  Teague's been getting a lot of ink lately but Aminu is one of the top freshmen in the country.   Wake Forest

Wake's defense was outstanding.  Clemson couldn't hit the 3's (5-23) and struggled from the line.  Teague wasn't spectacular but his first step was too much for Clemson.  He spent the majority of the game at the FT line.

Georgetown at Duke, Duke is a 9 point favorite.  I talked about this one earlier.  Georgetown has been an awful rebounding team and their man defense hasn't been that good.  But I see a big game from Summers and Wright.  And it will be interesting to watch Monroe against that Duke D, at Cameron.  I doubt they'll pull off the upset, but I like Georgetown to cover.  Georgetown.

Fun game.  Summers did go off, but Wright struggled.  Singler had 16 rebounds!  If JT3 can figure out a way to get his guys to rebound, they're going to be really scary.  The technical on Monroe really changed the game.  They really are not the same without him on the floor.  Amazing how this kid is the absolute leader of that team. 

Henderson was a beast in the first half, Singler, like always, did everything, and Paulus showed up.  Duke is one solid big man away from being the best team in the country, IMO.  Unfortunately for them, they're going to struggle against teams with a big, physical frontcourt. 
DJ:  I was wrong when I said Singler is stronger than Dunleavy.  There's no comparison.  Singler has "it" and he's one of the strongest skinny guys in the country.  One of those "don't let the looks fool ya" guys.

Other games I like:

Texas at Texas Tech, Texas is a 6 point favorite.  I love Texas to cover in this one.  Barnes ripped into his guys during and after the loss to Oklahoma.  I expect big games from James and Mason.  Texas.

James and Mason DID have big games.  This one was like taking candy from a baby.

Marquette at Providence, Marquette is a 1.5 favorite.  Providence is a good team and gets lost in that brutal conference, but Marquette has too many athletes.  Marquette is the pick.

Marquette played the worst first half of basketball I have seen in a long time.  No defense at all.  At one point, well into the game, Providence was shooting over 70% from the field.  Luckily Marquette got it together in the second half.  They stepped up the D and got some easy baskets.  Good win at a place where they haven't won before.

Arizona at USC, USC is a 7 point favorite.  I really like this USC team and they've been playing well, even in their loss to UCLA, they were never out of it.  Arizona hasn't been playing all that well and they are one of the worst teams in the country against the spread over the last decade, but I'm looking for a big game from Hill, Gibson gets in early foul trouble, and Arizona makes it close.  They cover and possibly win.  Arizona.

Hill and Buddinger were solid and Gibson did foul out, (what a prophet) but what a surprise, Nic Wise blew this game.  I'm happy to win this one, but I really was disappointed that AZ didn't win.  This team is way more talented than their record.  They miss Lute. 

4-2 ATS today, and kind of disappointed about it.  Obviously I was expecting 6-0.  I'd like to let it ride tomorrow on a football game, but I have been awful ATS in the playoffs this season.  Hell, I'm not certain I can even pick the winners straight up.  My guess would be Pittsburgh and Philly.  So, take the dogs.

< Message edited by Pete C -- 1/17/2009 11:20:05 PM >
  Post #: 87
RE: College Basketball - 1/18/2009 12:01:59 AM   
djskillz

Great stuff all around man.  I missed the Texas and Marquette games, but saw the rest. 

Agreed on Monroe, man.  I really, really wanted Duke to get him.  They were supposedly the runner-up.  Just imagine how freaky good Duke would be with him.  Oh well.  And ya on Singler.  I'm still not sure completely, but I love the way he plays.  He reminds me in some ways of a smaller Battier with his versatility, thought obviously his defense isn't on the same level.  Battier was probably the best all around college defender I've ever seen, and he's got the 3 DPOY's to prove it.

It's really shaping up to be a fun, fun year in college ball IMO.  Can't wait to see it all play out.

Post #: 88
RE: College Basketball - 1/19/2009 6:14:19 PM   
Texas A&M at Kansas tonight, Kansas is a 10 point favorite.  A&M is really young, but I like them tonight +ten.
Aldrich has been playing really well for KU, but A&M is pretty solid defensively and they take care of the ball well.
A&M.
  Post #: 89
RE: College Basketball - 1/19/2009 9:50:16 PM   
Jeeepers, I love watching basketball, but I had to turn that one off.  At least it wasn't as stressful as losing a close one. 

Kansas, not surprisingly, is getting better and better.  A down year for them is still going to have them with a decent seed in the tourney.
  Post #: 90
RE: College Basketball - 1/19/2009 9:59:38 PM   
djskillz

Do you make a lot of the wagers on college, Pete?

I'd like to get more into college betting (maybe next year) but I rarely do, at least until tourney time.  Occasionally I put money on a team to win it all in a sport before a season begins though.  Paid off pretty well for me in 2004 with the Red Sox.  Should have made a big Vegas bet last year on Kansas the same way. 

Post #: 91
RE: College Basketball - 1/20/2009 11:51:09 PM   
djskillz

What more can be said about Gerald Henderson?  Wow.  He's the most physically gifted player in the college game right now IMO.

Post #: 92
RE: College Basketball - 1/24/2009 12:22:07 PM   
djskillz

Sloppy play by Maryland, but Duke is putting on an absolute clinic today. 

If they play like this, they're the best team in the country. 

The keys to the whole team are Zoubek and Henderson.  If Henderson continues to be a star (little reason for him not to) and Zoubek can provide a presence on the inside (that's the bigger question) with help from Singler, they're the team to beat.

Post #: 93
RE: College Basketball - 1/28/2009 8:11:01 PM   
djskillz

Gah.

Hell of a game at Wake.

Mental breakdown at the end, and not the best officiated game, but geez, still entertaining as hell.

Duke needed to play with more passion throughout; Wake certainly did.  Still, overall very encouraging for Duke longterm considering how badly they played overall and how badly they shot.

Post #: 94
RE: College Basketball - 1/28/2009 8:49:30 PM   
Pete M.

Disappointing. Big shot by Henderson (by the way, he's ready for the league), and then a mistake on the inbounds D. Just disappointing.
Post #: 95
RE: College Basketball - 1/28/2009 8:57:27 PM   
djskillz

Yep.  After a great comeback.  

Post #: 96
RE: College Basketball - 1/30/2009 10:46:43 AM   
So.Mn.Fan

What the heck?
No Ryan Toolson talk this morning?
Who the heck is this guy?
What a night. What an incredible game. Looked like an old ABA duel.
Post #: 97
RE: College Basketball - 1/30/2009 11:39:01 AM   
Elliot

quote:

ORIGINAL: So.Mn.Fan

What the heck?
No Ryan Toolson talk this morning?
Who the heck is this guy?
What a night. What an incredible game. Looked like an old ABA duel.

Big Woop.  60 minutes, no offensive rebounds, 4 turnovers, no blocks and no steals. 

Life is just what happens to you,
While you're busy making other plans

~ John Lennon
Post #: 98
RE: College Basketball - 2/4/2009 10:27:04 PM   
Some really good games tonight.  Jack Mac taught Teague something about shooting.  He is the best perimeter shooter in the country, without doubt.

Booker was doing a prety good Dominique impersonation on the Blue Devils, he put Zoubek and Singler on the same poster.  Things have really tightened up in the ACC.

Oklahoma finished strong and had to come back against A&M.
Texas really needs this game against Missouri, and they might not get it.  Looks like Pittman dropped the Jenny Craig diet too.

Nova held off a fierce comeback by Providence.  Good win for them.  Cunningham is definitely not at full strength. 

UCLA is killin' USC.

No comment on the MN/MSU game.
  Post #: 99
RE: College Basketball - 2/4/2009 11:38:44 PM   
djskillz

I picked a great night to not watch a Duke game tonight.

Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: College Basketball Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode