Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Basketball

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: College Basketball Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Basketball - 2/7/2009 3:58:38 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

The shortest team in the nation just upset 17th ranked Texas.

That was a good win for them.  Texas is really struggling though.  They're going to have to finish strong to make the tournament. 
  Post #: 126
RE: College Basketball - 2/7/2009 3:59:52 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pete M.

Yeah, good thing Henderson stepped it up that half. McClinton is an absolute beast. 

Where would that team be without Henderson?

McClinton is the absolute best shooter in the country with Woodfox a distant second.
  Post #: 127
RE: College Basketball - 2/7/2009 10:15:34 PM   
Davidson had a chance to tie a big record tonight, but Dick Vitale's love child (Curry) shot them out of the game.
I think he finished 1 for his last 13 from the field.  If he comes out, I'm really curious who's going to take him too early.  Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, but he's not going to get 21 attempts per game in the NBA and unfortunately that's what he needs.  I like his range, but I'd rather have Meeks.

I'm impressed with the Memphis perimeter defense.  They are quick and long.  I do think Gonzaga is overrated, but Memphis is really a good defensive team.  And Evans is very interesting to watch.  He's got the body for the NBA right now, but plenty of work to do.  I certainly hope he stays in school.  He'll be fun to watch.
  Post #: 128
RE: College Basketball - 2/8/2009 3:11:29 AM   
djskillz

Wow, I missed the Duke activity today as well.  Looks like I picked a great time to miss a couple of Duke games.  Sounds awful.

I do think Miami's good, but man, get it together.  PG really is a problem right now for Duke I think.  They might need Williams to step up here quicker than expected.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 129
RE: College Basketball - 2/10/2009 11:12:54 PM   
Does anybody still think that Teague is going to be a better NBA player than Meeks?

The Teague-love seems to be evaporating.
  Post #: 130
RE: College Basketball - 2/11/2009 8:43:23 PM   
Elliot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pete C

Does anybody still think that Teague is going to be a better NBA player than Meeks?

You mean, other than me?   

Life is just what happens to you,
While you're busy making other plans

~ John Lennon
Post #: 131
RE: College Basketball - 2/11/2009 9:55:40 PM   
djskillz

Geez, Duke just has no answer for Lawson defensively.  And they didn't drive nearly enough in the 2nd half.

Plus, UNC is just deeper.  Duke has looked relatively gassed almost the entire 2nd half.

Ugh.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 132
RE: College Basketball - 2/11/2009 9:59:08 PM   
djskillz

Oh, and I will say this; Hansbrough has had a great college career, but he remains highly overrated.  That guy just will not succeed at the pro level.  He's Kris Humprhies II.

And Singler remains underrated.  Heck of a game by him.

Post #: 133
RE: College Basketball - 2/11/2009 10:46:39 PM   
Steve Lentz

UNC with a statement win. very competitive game for awhile but UNC is deeper and quicker.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 134
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 7:59:55 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

Geez, Duke just has no answer for Lawson defensively.  And they didn't drive nearly enough in the 2nd half.

Plus, UNC is just deeper.  Duke has looked relatively gassed almost the entire 2nd half.

Ugh.

Their lack of even an average big man really hurts that team.
  Post #: 135
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 8:01:55 AM   
quote:

Oh, and I will say this; Hansbrough has had a great college career, but he remains highly overrated.  That guy just will not succeed at the pro level.  He's Kris Humprhies II.

Aside from Singler and Henderson, this Duke team really isn't all that talented.  In some ways it's amazing that they have done this well.
  Post #: 136
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 8:20:47 AM   
djskillz

Ya.  Man, you put Greg Monroe OR Patrick Patterson on this team (Duke was runner-up in both cases) and they're the national champs.  Definitely need a big man.

I like Scheyer a whole lot too, Pete.  I'd add him to that list of 3.  I also think Plumlee will be good in time, but ya, they're just not as deep as UNC.

Post #: 137
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 8:24:31 AM   
quote:

Ya.  Man, you put Greg Monroe OR Patrick Patterson on this team (Duke was runner-up in both cases) and they're the national champs.  Definitely need a big man.

I like Scheyer a whole lot too, Pete.  I'd add him to that list of 3.  I also think Plumlee will be good in time, but ya, they're just not as deep as UNC.

My problem with Scheyer is shot selection. 

Patterson on that team would have been ideal, maybe even moreso than Monroe.
  Post #: 138
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 8:53:03 AM   
djskillz

Ya, I like 'em both.  Scheyer I have a bit of a problem with shot selection, but he's as good a shooter as there is in the country, so I can live with it.

Post #: 139
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 10:02:57 AM   
quote:

Ya, I like 'em both.  Scheyer I have a bit of a problem with shot selection, but he's as good a shooter as there is in the country, so I can live with it.

Come on, "as good a shooter as there is in the country"?  There is no comparison between him and guys like McClinton and Woodfox.
  Post #: 140
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 10:19:45 AM   
Jim Frenette

Watched a little of the U-Conn game it looks like Thabeat does more standing around then anything else. He really doesn't play with much energy in trying to find an opening to get the ball

Fargo
Post #: 141
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 10:39:52 AM   
Pete M.

quote:

Disagree here--Scheyer is only an adequate 3-point shooter. However, he is a very underrated scorer because of how smart a player he is. He's a 3rd option on a very good team, a 2nd option on a decent team, and 1st option on a bad team.

Last night, Duke got beaten by a better team. K's recruiting strategy and, as you guys have pointed out, near-misses, has been coming back to haunt him. When you're out-athleted at every position but Henderson's, you're not going to win all that often in today's college basketball. A team of white guys like Scheyer/Paulus/Singler used to be able to win in the 1990s. It can't anymore.

What also bothers me is that the same things that have been killing this team for the last two years showed up again last night: an overt reliance on the 3-point shot, and a lack of perimeter quickness and interior defense. Duke is still living and dying by the 3 against good teams, and still cannot shut down penetrating point guards. Until that changes, Duke will never again be a consistent threat in March.
Post #: 142
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 10:42:13 AM   
Pete M.

By the way--Duke looks like a prime candidate to either be a first-weekend exit or, at the most, a Sweet Sixteen team. Until K stops turning out a team that peaks in January and then collapses down the stretch, I'm not expecting anything in the Big Dance.
Post #: 143
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 10:43:30 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

One NBA draft site I checked had Singler falling to the Wolves with the pick they got from Miami. That would be pretty nice.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 144
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 12:30:47 PM   
Easy E

What would be even better is if he did drop, and they took him, and then didn't trade him.
Post #: 145
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 12:33:40 PM   
TJSweens

Oh now you're just being facetious. 

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 146
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 12:44:38 PM   
Easy E

deja vu all over again!
Post #: 147
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 2:38:57 PM   
djskillz

Ya, I like Singler a lot, but I'm still not sure what to make of him.  He's probably most similar to Dunleavy, and Dunleavy's turned into a pretty decent player.  Singler is more athletic than Dunleavy too.

And Pete, I agree on the team, but it's not for a lack of trying.  Coach K loves to have that inside/outside threat, and those have been the most successful teams.  Brand/Boozer, etc.  If they had gotten one of Patterson/Monroe, they'd win a title.  They just need to reel in that 1 good big man one of these years to make everything work.

Post #: 148
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 2:43:12 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

Watched a little of the U-Conn game it looks like Thabeat does more standing around then anything else. He really doesn't play with much energy in trying to find an opening to get the ball

He blocks shots and he'll get some rebounds against really poor front lines, but he doesn't play well against good college bigs. I think he's going to get eaten alive at the NBA level.
Post #: 149
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 2:53:47 PM   
Pete M.

quote:

Ya, I like Singler a lot, but I'm still not sure what to make of him.  He's probably most similar to Dunleavy, and Dunleavy's turned into a pretty decent player.  Singler is more athletic than Dunleavy too.

And Pete, I agree on the team, but it's not for a lack of trying.  Coach K loves to have that inside/outside threat, and those have been the most successful teams.  Brand/Boozer, etc.  If they had gotten one of Patterson/Monroe, they'd win a title.  They just need to reel in that 1 good big man one of these years to make everything work.

Well, who's the last one he's had? Shelden? Recruiting is not a game of "trying," it's a game of "signing." And if you look at the type of player that K has consistently signed over his career, it's a white guy with average athleticism and high basketball IQ. I've seen hints of a change with Elliott Williams and Nolan Smith--hopefully the future holds a number of similar players.
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: College Basketball Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode