Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Basketball

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: College Basketball Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 3:56:40 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

Watched a little of the U-Conn game it looks like Thabeat does more standing around then anything else. He really doesn't play with much energy in trying to find an opening to get the ball

He blocks shots and he'll get some rebounds against really poor front lines, but he doesn't play well against good college bigs. I think he's going to get eaten alive at the NBA level.

The problem with Thabeat is that you have to have a good feel for how close to his potential he is likely to go. He only started playing basketball the last few years. That leaves me with a sick feeling as the last player to fit that description was Michael Olowakandi.   

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 151
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 4:13:22 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pete C

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

Ya, I like 'em both.  Scheyer I have a bit of a problem with shot selection, but he's as good a shooter as there is in the country, so I can live with it.

Come on, "as good a shooter as there is in the country"?  There is no comparison between him and guys like McClinton and Woodfox.

Pete you impress me. You know about my man Woodfox You are a college guru.

< Message edited by Steve Lentz -- 2/12/2009 5:44:40 PM >

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 152
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 4:23:20 PM   
Easy E

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Watched a little of the U-Conn game it looks like Thabeat does more standing around then anything else. He really doesn't play with much energy in trying to find an opening to get the ball

He blocks shots and he'll get some rebounds against really poor front lines, but he doesn't play well against good college bigs. I think he's going to get eaten alive at the NBA level.

The problem with Thabeat is that you have to have a good feel for how close to his potential he is likely to go. He only started playing basketball the last few years. That leaves me with a sick feeling as the last player to fit that description was Michael Olowakandi.   

Maybe it's not that bad, maybe he's Yinka Dare.
Post #: 153
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 4:24:43 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Easy E

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe it's not that bad, maybe he's Yinka Dare.

I really wanted to draft Yinka Dare...
Post #: 154
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 4:26:38 PM   
Easy E

How do you think I remember his name all this time later. I would have had Yinka on the team for sure, but with GOD ShamGOD and Adonis Jordan as his backcourt, he'd have a higher ceiling than Shaq.
Post #: 155
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 4:30:12 PM   
David Levine

I thought he was going to be a stud. You literally could not design a guy to look more like the perfect NBA center. Then you read stuff like this:

In the NBA, Dare played 110 games in four seasons with the Nets; in his rookie campaign, Dare played for three minutes before getting injured (torn ACL) and missing the rest of the season. The Nets left him unprotected during the 1995 expansion draft, but he was not selected by either the Toronto Raptors or the Vancouver Grizzlies. In his first full season (1995-96), in which he played a personal best 58 out of 82 games, he turned the ball over 72 times while registering no assists. He still holds the NBA record for most consecutive minutes played without an assist. During his four-year career, he would rack up a total of four assists accompanied by 96 turnovers. For his career, he averaged 2.1 points, 2.6 rebounds, and less than 0.1 assists per game.
Post #: 156
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 4:31:48 PM   
Easy E

Uwe Blab or Yinka Dare.. who was better?
Post #: 157
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 5:43:02 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

Ya, I like 'em both.  Scheyer I have a bit of a problem with shot selection, but he's as good a shooter as there is in the country, so I can live with it.

Come on, "as good a shooter as there is in the country"?  There is no comparison between him and guys like McClinton and Woodfox.

Pete you impress me. You about my man Woodfox You are a college guru.

Yeah, I actually watched quite a few MO V Conf. games this year.  And Woodfox is one of the best shooters in the country and few people know about him. 

Providing your Blue Jays don't have a late season melt down, they'll be in the NCAA Tourney, then the rest of the country will get a chance to see him play.

< Message edited by Pete C -- 2/12/2009 5:47:44 PM >
  Post #: 158
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 7:56:49 PM   
Stinka Dare-

Now there's a name from the past.
  Post #: 159
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 9:11:42 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

Stinka Dare-

Come on. Let's not speak ill of the dead. Even if his game has likely improved 6 feet under. Dare, Kandi and many others are classic examples of why you shouldn't get overly excited about the potential of a raw, undeveloped 7 footer.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 160
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 9:37:07 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

Pete you impress me. You about my man Woodfox You are a college guru.

Yeah, I actually watched quite a few MO V Conf. games this year.  And Woodfox is one of the best shooters in the country and few people know about him. 

Providing your Blue Jays don't have a late season melt down, they'll be in the NCAA Tourney, then the rest of the country will get a chance to see him play.

I've been to a half dozen of their games. Been a fan for many many years. Not your typical Creighton team. They've actually been booed after a loss this year. They're seen as too much flash and not the grind it out physical teams the Bluejay fans are used to. But they seem to be getting hot as the season runs down and they could be the favorite now to win the Valley tournament.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 161
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 10:10:12 PM   
quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

Stinka Dare-

Come on. Let's not speak ill of the dead. Even if his game has likely improved 6 feet under. Dare, Kandi and many others are classic examples of why you shouldn't get overly excited about the potential of a raw, undeveloped 7 footer.

Oh my bad, I did not not know Dare had passed.

Nice shot about seven footers though.
  Post #: 162
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 10:13:59 PM   
Harden is looking really good tonight, except for his (seemingly) lack of interest at times handling the ball.

He's got 11 assists and spent a fair amount of time at the point.  I really don't quite understand his turnovers though.  He just seems careless with the ball sometimes when he's not even being pressured. 

He's going to be a very good NBA player, IMO.  He's strong and likes to rebound.  He definitely can pass but I can't see him playing the PG unless he gets much better at handling the ball.

Big win for AZ State. 
  Post #: 163
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 10:15:42 PM   
djskillz

Agreed, Pete.  As usual.

I freaking love Sendek.  Think he's a very great, extremely underrated coach.  And I've always felt that.  NC State is stupid as hell and delusional IMO.  You have to be realistic sometimes.  That school was never going to beat UNC and Duke; that's just reality.  The fact that he always had them in the running for 3rd was a testament to his ability IMO.

I've always thought the same way in the past about MN football, at least at the Dome (my perception has changed somewhat now, but not completely).  They should never have been expected to beat the Michigan's and Ohio States of the world. 

< Message edited by djskillz -- 2/12/2009 10:17:13 PM >

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 164
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 10:23:43 PM   
quote:

Agreed, Pete.  As usual.

I freaking love Sendek.  Think he's a very great, extremely underrated coach.  And I've always felt that.  NC State is stupid as hell and delusional IMO.  You have to be realistic sometimes.  That school was never going to beat UNC and Duke; that's just reality.  The fact that he always had them in the running for 3rd was a testament to his ability IMO.

I've always thought the same way in the past about MN football, at least at the Dome (my perception has changed somewhat now, but not completely).  They should never have been expected to beat the Michigan's and Ohio States of the world. 

I agree completely on Sendek.  I was a fan of his when he was at Miami. 
He always seems to get his kids to overachieve.
  Post #: 165
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 10:28:38 PM   
Did you see Harangody go off for 32 and 17?  They absolutely crushed Louisville.

That ND team is hard to get a read on.  They most certainly were overrated early, but they're not as bad as their record.  They are really small though and they rely on Harangody and McAlarney for all their scoring.  McAlarney shoots well and they're competitive, if he doesn't, they suck.
  Post #: 166
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 10:36:19 PM   
djskillz

Yep, Pete.

No, didn't catch the game tonight.  Trying to carve out a lot more time for college ball upcoming here, but it's just tough gearing up for our season.  I've been pretty damn busy for baseball of late.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 167
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 10:50:29 PM   
Yeah McAlarney has the green light from anywhere inside half court. Dude absolutely fires it up.
  Post #: 168
RE: College Basketball - 2/12/2009 10:53:28 PM   
quote:

quote:

I've been watching Thabeet very closely.  I think he's been reading the press clippings because over the last 4 or 5 games it seems that he is going out of his way to show that he is physical.  The problem is, it's mostly elbows, and for some reason he's been getting away with it.  He was called for one foul against Syracuse, despite fighting with Jackson most of the game. 

He really doesn't work for his rebounds and he's not a great post defender.  He's definitely a swatter and his presence is certainly felt, but I still think he benefits a great deal from having Adrien doing the dirty work.

Offensively, his footwork is so horrible, I don't know that he will ever turn into a back-to-the-basket threat. 

I think he's a big gamble for anybody at the 2 spot, but I doubt he'll last past that. 
  Post #: 169
RE: College Basketball - 2/13/2009 12:44:44 AM   
David Levine

quote:

Harden is looking really good tonight, except for his (seemingly) lack of interest at times handling the ball.

He's got 11 assists and spent a fair amount of time at the point.  I really don't quite understand his turnovers though.  He just seems careless with the ball sometimes when he's not even being pressured. 

He's going to be a very good NBA player, IMO.  He's strong and likes to rebound.  He definitely can pass but I can't see him playing the PG unless he gets much better at handling the ball.

Big win for AZ State. 

I think he's absolutely a SG at the Pro level. Very much in the "Brandon Roy" mode as far as ball handling.

I watched a good portion of the game, and you're right, he was very sloppy at times.
Post #: 170
RE: College Basketball - 2/13/2009 12:46:13 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've been watching Thabeet very closely.  I think he's been reading the press clippings because over the last 4 or 5 games it seems that he is going out of his way to show that he is physical.  The problem is, it's mostly elbows, and for some reason he's been getting away with it.  He was called for one foul against Syracuse, despite fighting with Jackson most of the game. 

He really doesn't work for his rebounds and he's not a great post defender.  He's definitely a swatter and his presence is certainly felt, but I still think he benefits a great deal from having Adrien doing the dirty work.

Offensively, his footwork is so horrible, I don't know that he will ever turn into a back-to-the-basket threat. 

I think he's a big gamble for anybody at the 2 spot, but I doubt he'll last past that. 

If we have all our picks come draft time, and he slides, I'd be fine risking the Miami pick on him.
Post #: 171
RE: College Basketball - 2/13/2009 8:44:34 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Big win for AZ State. 

I think he's absolutely a SG at the Pro level. Very much in the "Brandon Roy" mode as far as ball handling.

I watched a good portion of the game, and you're right, he was very sloppy at times.

None the less I would gladly package Foye and our pick from Miami to move up to #2 and grab Harden.

Post #: 172
RE: College Basketball - 2/13/2009 9:44:32 AM   
Matt Dahl

After the Gopher womens game last night, I caught the end of Illinois-NW.  What a complete meltdown by NW.  That has to be one for the ages.  Illinois did not lead until the final basket.  How embarrassing for NW fans, especially when you're outnumbered at a home game....to have your guys just give it away like that.  That's why they will always be Northwestern.  NW lead by like 14 with 5 minutes left.  It got to the point where they were relieved to just make it across half court and burn the shot clock.  More often than not, though, they would cross half court and turn the ball over. 

M
Post #: 173
RE: College Basketball - 2/13/2009 12:16:23 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Big win for AZ State. 

None the less I would gladly package Foye and our pick from Miami to move up to #2 and grab Harden.

Oh absolutely, he's the guy I want. My ideal backcourt would be Sessions and Harden with Foye as 6th man.

I was just saying Ii see no need to even try to make him a PG. He's got the size and skillset to be a very good SG at this level.
Post #: 174
RE: College Basketball - 2/13/2009 12:34:37 PM   
TJSweens

I agree. I absolutely see him as a SG and would gladly part with Foye plus the #1 from the Heat if that was what it took to get into position to draft him. We would still be light at PG, but we would have a true SG who is better than Mayo IMO.

Post #: 175
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: College Basketball Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode