Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 12:12:22 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Why lose the spaghetti with sauce and cheese? Just butter the noodles.

Why lose the salad with a bunch of toppings? Just chew on a head of lettuce.

That is actually how I prefer lettuce. Just salt and pepper.

Naked burger. Naked salad. The wine that goes with that is rich and full though, right?
Post #: 526
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 12:13:08 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

I went to the garage sale at Bud Grant's house this afternoon. The sale was supposed to start at 5:00 and by the time I turned onto his block at 4:30 the street was lined with cars and as many were leaving the neighborhood as were coming in. There is a cul de sac at the end of his block and we all were doing the same thing - driving down the street looking for a place to park and turning around in the cul de sac to drive back out. I was tempted to pull into one of his neighbor's driveways and offer them a crisp 20 dollar bill if they'd let me park in their driveway, but most of the houses looked at a glance like no one was home.

Bottom line I ended up parking a block over and walking, and I still got to his driveway before they lowered the rope to let people in (first garage sale I've ever been to with security people and a rope line).

CLASSIC Bud Grant - he came down the driveway to talk to the crowd (I'd say about 75 people had gathered by that time) and thanked us for coming, commented on the nice weather, joked that he hoped we'd spend some money so he could get rid of a bunch of stuff - and then he asked everyone to be respectful and not push when they lowered the rope. He said that he was going to blow the whistle at 5:00 to start things (smiling the whole time at the joke) and again asked us all to be respectful. I suspect he didn't want some kind of day-after-Thanksgiving stampede or something, and remember that Grant was the coach who didn't let his players spike the ball in the endzone and was adamant about standing at attention during the Star Spangled Banner - so respect is part of Grant's DNA.

And sure enough, when he blew the whistle, everyone just casually walked forward and headed to the tables.

They had split the stash - the Viking stuff was on one side and the hunting/fishing stuff on the other - so that was a good way to spread the crowd out. At first I was disappointed because there were too many people who headed directly to the clothing/hat table so I figured there was going to be no way I was going to get any Viking shirts or other good stuff - - - but they brought more things out gradually so I actually ended up with three t-shirts in the end (one for my brother, the Viking fan stuck in Chicago Bearland). Grant stuck around to sign anything that anyone wanted but that line got so long I bowed out, but at one point I was standing right next to him (I wasn't in line - just looking at some things at a table) and he turned to me and thanked me for coming.

The consumate gentleman and such a cool guy. He's moving pretty slow these days and now that his wife has been gone a few years I got the impression he was going to sell the house where they raised their family for the past 50 years or so. I have enjoyed having him as a fellow resident of Bloomington all of these years, and I loved the fact that his kids attended the same public school that my brothers and I attended. Grant was a regular in our stands at basketball and football games and it was always cool that he was there cheering for MY school (mostly for his sons playing of course).

So that's my story!

Bush Lake Rd is my shortcut home to avoid 169, and every time Bud has a garage sale the shortcut turns into a nightmare. Buyers, fans, gawkers and freaks line the narrow passage way.

I'm probably one of the freaks.

I had you penciled in as fan/gawker.
Post #: 527
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 12:14:16 PM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

Naked burger. Naked salad. The wine that goes with that is rich and full though, right?

Lots of great wine options with the burger. My quest is to try them all.
Post #: 528
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 12:14:35 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Because good beef that is well cooked has a lot more flavor than buttered pasta or lettuce. How much stuff do you put on top of a steak when you eat it?

Typically just steak sauce. If i'm feeling adventurous - cheese. Occasionally - grilled onions and or mushrooms.

Ewwww. Cheese on a steak. Yuck. And get rid of the sauce too.

The only time cheese is acceptable on steak is if its a cheesesteak sandwich.

And if steak sauce is needed, it isn't a good steak....
Post #: 529
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 12:15:39 PM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Because good beef that is well cooked has a lot more flavor than buttered pasta or lettuce. How much stuff do you put on top of a steak when you eat it?

Typically just steak sauce. If i'm feeling adventurous - cheese. Occasionally - grilled onions and or mushrooms.

Ewwww. Cheese on a steak. Yuck. And get rid of the sauce too.

I knew you'd like that.

Everything needs a little somethin somethin.
Post #: 530
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 12:18:44 PM   
Todd M

quote:

Perhaps I've never had a really good steak then.

I've never chosen to not have some sort of sauce. Been without and lived with it.
Post #: 531
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 12:34:26 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the steak is good, no need for sauce of any kind. And no other toppings. The meat has more than enough flavor on its own.

Adding anything else ruins the meat imho.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 532
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 12:58:44 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

I've never chosen to not have some sort of sauce. Been without and lived with it.

Bingo

I've had the best steak .... still want something on it.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 533
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 12:59:10 PM   
Todd M

S

LATH

ERED
Post #: 534
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 12:59:43 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

Bingo

I've had the best steak .... still want something on it.

You mean I'm not alone!
Post #: 535
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 1:07:53 PM   
Todd M

I think you guys all paid this guy too much heed as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF4Kk9U_YXQ
Post #: 536
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 1:39:25 PM   
David F.

This is a fun debate. It's interesting to me to see such a wide range of opinions on steak law. For me I usually don't want anything on it but every once in a while I'll order a blue cheese demi-glas even if it's going on a really nice steak. I have no problems with marinades or a flavored butter plopped on top just at the end. My limit though is ketchup. I never allow anyone to put ketchup on any steak that I prepared even if it's a guest.

Some people I know get way too picky. These types scoff at any marinades or even au jus on a prime rib. Then there's also the oddball chef who wont cook any steak past medium-rare. That's funny.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 537
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 3:44:46 PM   
tonyb1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

This is a fun debate. It's interesting to me to see such a wide range of opinions on steak law. For me I usually don't want anything on it but every once in a while I'll order a blue cheese demi-glas even if it's going on a really nice steak. I have no problems with marinades or a flavored butter plopped on top just at the end. My limit though is ketchup. I never allow anyone to put ketchup on any steak that I prepared even if it's a guest.

Some people I know get way too picky. These types scoff at any marinades or even au jus on a prime rib. Then there's also the oddball chef who wont cook any steak past medium-rare. That's funny.

Hey I am that oddball chef who won't cook a steak past medium rare. Once you get past that to well done all the flavor and juice has disappeared, of course, you need steak sauce !  Give me a nice well marbled NY Strip, seared black on the outside, medium rare in the middle..mmmm heaven, or a real a nice place for you atheists !

Hamburger, I like a 70/30 meat to fat ratio.  Marinade with a little soy and worcestershire sauce and black cracked pepper....maybe a little garlic powder.  Grill to medium, don't press down while on the grill...you"re just squeezing the flavor out.  Place a thick slice of extra sharp cheddar cheese on top, cover and let cheese melt.  Add a slice of sweet vidalia onion and pickle slices on top, toasted bun and a cold beer.....for me the definition of summer !
Post #: 538
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 3:57:19 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

All you eating well marbled and 70/30 burger should see a dr. About your cholesterol MVP at least yearly after age 35 , when the plaque starts to accumulate in vital blood vessels , you will thank me later

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 539
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 3:59:23 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Level, not mvp

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 540
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 4:00:41 PM   
David Levine

I'm 43. My cholesterol is 94.
Post #: 541
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 6:47:43 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

I'm 43. My cholesterol is 94.

61 with a 94 IQ.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 542
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 6:59:47 PM   
Jeff Jesser

My wife is a vegan which renders me a vegan by default. Cholesterol is -487 and my IQ rivals it.
Post #: 543
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 7:01:02 PM   
Jeff Jesser

BTW- this will get laughed out of this board, especially with latest "talk" but, veggie burgers have come a long damn way. They use to be cardboard with grill marks. Not anymore. Thankfully
Post #: 544
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 7:47:50 PM   
hagar

quote:

That's the freshest sounding one, Hagar. Never had an onion bun I've liked but I like the concept. Twinsfan said my way was a lot of work. You're baking and gardening!

You don't think pickles go with mayo huh?

One no no for me is cheese and mustard.

Smelling the onion buns baking in the oven makes it well worth the effort. In fact I'm making some this weekend. Gonna smoke a pork butt and make pulled pork sandwiches on them. Yummm! I'm ok with cheese and mustard and I'm ok with mayo and pickles. I just prefer mustard with pickles. If I use mustard I also leave off the avocado.
Post #: 545
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 7:54:09 PM   
hagar

quote:

quote:

What makes it stick to the lettuce?
Post #: 546
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 7:55:56 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: hagar

quote:

quote:

What makes it stick to the lettuce?

Peanut butter.
Post #: 547
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 8:08:34 PM   
hagar

quote:

I use to be a meat cutter and can't stand to ruin a perfectly good steak by overcooking it. Guests at my house are free to completely destroy their own steak after I have cooked it though. I just choose not to watch.
Post #: 548
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 8:09:46 PM   
hagar

quote:

ORIGINAL: tonyb1958

quote:

Hey I am that oddball chef who won't cook a steak past medium rare. Once you get past that to well done all the flavor and juice has disappeared, of course, you need steak sauce !  Give me a nice well marbled NY Strip, seared black on the outside, medium rare in the middle..mmmm heaven, or a real a nice place for you atheists !

Hamburger, I like a 70/30 meat to fat ratio.  Marinade with a little soy and worcestershire sauce and black cracked pepper....maybe a little garlic powder.  Grill to medium, don't press down while on the grill...you"re just squeezing the flavor out.  Place a thick slice of extra sharp cheddar cheese on top, cover and let cheese melt.  Add a slice of sweet vidalia onion and pickle slices on top, toasted bun and a cold beer.....for me the definition of summer !

Mmmmmmm beer.
Post #: 549
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 8:14:03 PM   
hagar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

All you eating well marbled and 70/30 burger should see a dr. About your cholesterol MVP at least yearly after age 35 , when the plaque starts to accumulate in vital blood vessels , you will thank me later

Been a carnivore my whole life n was checked in October. No problems. In fact my "good" cholesterol was a bit high, surprising my Dr. who asked about my diet. Thanks for your concern Daniel.
Post #: 550
Page:   <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode