Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/21/2014 6:09:59 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

A fried egg on a burger is a wonderful thing.

Yes it is!

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 501
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/21/2014 6:18:25 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

I can't imagine a lot of topping going with egg.

You don't need a lot of toppings. The yolk basically acts as your mayo/sauce. Cheese and bacon and I'm happy. Although if you want more, a little watercress or arugula and some hot sauce matches nicely.
Post #: 502
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/21/2014 6:30:50 PM   
DeLain

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: DeLain

Verde Burger
Fire Roasted Anaheim Peppers, Jack
Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato, Red Onion,
Mill Sauce

http://www.redmillburgers.com/menu.htm

Is that raw onion? That's one thing that ruins a burger for me. Otherwise, sounds great!

Yeah the onions are raw but they are red so not as overpowering. They provide good texture since the peppers are soft. The mill sauce is a smokey spicey ketchup/mayo. Well I guess that would be kind of like a BBQ sauce, but not.

I found this recipe which seems like it could be it.

1 cupmayonnaise
1/2 cupketchup
1/4 cupprepared yellow mustard
2 teaspoonsdried minced onion
1/4 teaspoondried minced garlic
1/8 teaspoonwhite vinegar
hot sauce to taste
seasoned pepper to taste

Whisk together the mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, onion, garlic, and vinegar in a bowl. Season with hot sauce and seasoned pepper to taste. Cover and chill at least 1 hour before serving. Best at a couple days prepared in advance.
Post #: 503
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/21/2014 7:53:31 PM   
joejitsu

My Mom basically makes her meatball recipe (pork, veal, breadcrumbs, Parma cheese, eggs, some wine, and some water) and then she turns them into patties that we grill on the BBQ. Then, we put some of her tomato sauce on top of them instead of catsup, and finish it off with a slice of Provalone. The buns are slices of Marconi bread(which is a bread company in Chicago Heights). Life gets no better than that.
Post #: 504
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/21/2014 8:04:53 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Best seasoning is powered onion dip. The same you mix with sour cream for veggie/chip dip. It provides the salt and spices needed. That with Woechererererer sauce and you are done.

Also agree with DL. Fried egg is money.
Post #: 505
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/21/2014 8:05:14 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

quote:

quote:

I can't imagine a lot of topping going with egg.

You don't need a lot of toppings. The yolk basically acts as your mayo/sauce. Cheese and bacon and I'm happy. Although if you want more, a little watercress or arugula and some hot sauce matches nicely.

What the Hell is arugula? I think you need to cook the burger long enough to kill that stuff.
Post #: 506
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/21/2014 9:23:50 PM   
Lynn G.

I went to the garage sale at Bud Grant's house this afternoon. The sale was supposed to start at 5:00 and by the time I turned onto his block at 4:30 the street was lined with cars and as many were leaving the neighborhood as were coming in. There is a cul de sac at the end of his block and we all were doing the same thing - driving down the street looking for a place to park and turning around in the cul de sac to drive back out. I was tempted to pull into one of his neighbor's driveways and offer them a crisp 20 dollar bill if they'd let me park in their driveway, but most of the houses looked at a glance like no one was home.

Bottom line I ended up parking a block over and walking, and I still got to his driveway before they lowered the rope to let people in (first garage sale I've ever been to with security people and a rope line).

CLASSIC Bud Grant - he came down the driveway to talk to the crowd (I'd say about 75 people had gathered by that time) and thanked us for coming, commented on the nice weather, joked that he hoped we'd spend some money so he could get rid of a bunch of stuff - and then he asked everyone to be respectful and not push when they lowered the rope. He said that he was going to blow the whistle at 5:00 to start things (smiling the whole time at the joke) and again asked us all to be respectful. I suspect he didn't want some kind of day-after-Thanksgiving stampede or something, and remember that Grant was the coach who didn't let his players spike the ball in the endzone and was adamant about standing at attention during the Star Spangled Banner - so respect is part of Grant's DNA.

And sure enough, when he blew the whistle, everyone just casually walked forward and headed to the tables.

They had split the stash - the Viking stuff was on one side and the hunting/fishing stuff on the other - so that was a good way to spread the crowd out. At first I was disappointed because there were too many people who headed directly to the clothing/hat table so I figured there was going to be no way I was going to get any Viking shirts or other good stuff - - - but they brought more things out gradually so I actually ended up with three t-shirts in the end (one for my brother, the Viking fan stuck in Chicago Bearland). Grant stuck around to sign anything that anyone wanted but that line got so long I bowed out, but at one point I was standing right next to him (I wasn't in line - just looking at some things at a table) and he turned to me and thanked me for coming.

The consumate gentleman and such a cool guy. He's moving pretty slow these days and now that his wife has been gone a few years I got the impression he was going to sell the house where they raised their family for the past 50 years or so. I have enjoyed having him as a fellow resident of Bloomington all of these years, and I loved the fact that his kids attended the same public school that my brothers and I attended. Grant was a regular in our stands at basketball and football games and it was always cool that he was there cheering for MY school (mostly for his sons playing of course).

So that's my story!

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 507
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/21/2014 9:29:18 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

I went to the garage sale at Bud Grant's house this afternoon. The sale was supposed to start at 5:00 and by the time I turned onto his block at 4:30 the street was lined with cars and as many were leaving the neighborhood as were coming in. There is a cul de sac at the end of his block and we all were doing the same thing - driving down the street looking for a place to park and turning around in the cul de sac to drive back out. I was tempted to pull into one of his neighbor's driveways and offer them a crisp 20 dollar bill if they'd let me park in their driveway, but most of the houses looked at a glance like no one was home.

Bottom line I ended up parking a block over and walking, and I still got to his driveway before they lowered the rope to let people in (first garage sale I've ever been to with security people and a rope line).

CLASSIC Bud Grant - he came down the driveway to talk to the crowd (I'd say about 75 people had gathered by that time) and thanked us for coming, commented on the nice weather, joked that he hoped we'd spend some money so he could get rid of a bunch of stuff - and then he asked everyone to be respectful and not push when they lowered the rope. He said that he was going to blow the whistle at 5:00 to start things (smiling the whole time at the joke) and again asked us all to be respectful. I suspect he didn't want some kind of day-after-Thanksgiving stampede or something, and remember that Grant was the coach who didn't let his players spike the ball in the endzone and was adamant about standing at attention during the Star Spangled Banner - so respect is part of Grant's DNA.

And sure enough, when he blew the whistle, everyone just casually walked forward and headed to the tables.

They had split the stash - the Viking stuff was on one side and the hunting/fishing stuff on the other - so that was a good way to spread the crowd out. At first I was disappointed because there were too many people who headed directly to the clothing/hat table so I figured there was going to be no way I was going to get any Viking shirts or other good stuff - - - but they brought more things out gradually so I actually ended up with three t-shirts in the end (one for my brother, the Viking fan stuck in Chicago Bearland). Grant stuck around to sign anything that anyone wanted but that line got so long I bowed out, but at one point I was standing right next to him (I wasn't in line - just looking at some things at a table) and he turned to me and thanked me for coming.

The consumate gentleman and such a cool guy. He's moving pretty slow these days and now that his wife has been gone a few years I got the impression he was going to sell the house where they raised their family for the past 50 years or so. I have enjoyed having him as a fellow resident of Bloomington all of these years, and I loved the fact that his kids attended the same public school that my brothers and I attended. Grant was a regular in our stands at basketball and football games and it was always cool that he was there cheering for MY school (mostly for his sons playing of course).

So that's my story!

Thanks Lynn.
Was he selling any cool memorabilia?

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 508
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/21/2014 9:37:13 PM   
Lynn G.

I didn't see a lot of really collectible stuff, but I saw someone walking away with a helmet - but I don't know if it was an actual game helmet or some kind of mounted memorabilia. The coolest piece of memorabilia was the large (maybe 10 feet long by three feet high) purple banner with the Viking warrior and the name "GRANT" that was hung up in the ring of honor at the Metrodome. I knew I wasn't going to buy that but I meant to walk over and see what price they marked on it - but I totally forgot to do that.

Other than that, he had a lot of framed artwork that were mostly hunting/outdoor themes - and they all were marked that the framed one wasn't for sale but that on request someone would go inside and get a copy of the print - and those were for sale. There were quite a few Viking caps and shirts but I didn't get the impression that these were ones that he wore. There were boxes of t-shirts they brought out, many of them in the plastic bag that they were shipped in - so I am guessing he gets a lot of comp stuff that he can do with what he wants and over the years he's probably run out of people to give this stuff too. Clearly the three t-shirts I bought were new, so it's not like they were ones worn by him, but it still feels kind of cool that I bought them at Bud Grant's house.

A lot of turkey and duck decoys, and fishing poles, camo jackets, stuff like that.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 509
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/21/2014 9:38:42 PM   
Great story Lynn.
And I've made meatball burgers too Joe. With the sugo instead of ketchup.
Usually pull the breadcrumbs out if it's on the grill. In the fry pan with a little oil I leave them.
And oh yes baby you gotta have an over medium egg on a burger.

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 510
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/21/2014 10:36:16 PM   
hagar

quote:

I'm bored.

What is the best way to dress a burger in your opinion?

For most of my life it was pretty damn simple. Plain hamburger/bun, mustard, ketchup, relish (in that order!) and maybe a little onion if I felt like it.

Now:

Angus beef. Buttered and toasted ciabatta bun - cheddar cheese, 2 slices of bacon, half an avocado, jalapeno, lightly grilled red and sweet onion, BBQ sauce (tequila/lime/habanero), mayo, chili garlic sauce.

Or NOTHING!

I might never eat McDonalds again.

On a homemade onion bun dress the burger with bacon, avocado, 1 slice jarlsberg cheese, 1 slice American cheese, crispy lettuce of choice, slice of vine ripened tomato when available, mayo and Sriracha . Add a sliced pickle if you use mustard instead of mayo.
Post #: 511
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/21/2014 11:04:23 PM   
Todd M

That's the freshest sounding one, Hagar. Never had an onion bun I've liked but I like the concept. Twinsfan said my way was a lot of work. You're baking and gardening!

You don't think pickles go with mayo huh?

One no no for me is cheese and mustard.
Post #: 512
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 2:56:59 AM   
JT2

quote:

So that's my story!

Bush Lake Rd is my shortcut home to avoid 169, and every time Bud has a garage sale the shortcut turns into a nightmare. Buyers, fans, gawkers and freaks line the narrow passage way.
Post #: 513
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 3:03:58 AM   
JT2

So what about the most important ingredient, the meat? Don't do burgers often but when I do, it's always 3/4 chuck, 1/4 sirloin. High heat, quick sear, rare to medium-rare. Lots of salt and Tellicherry pepper. Almost criminal to put anything else on it, except for the egg.

< Message edited by JT2 -- 5/22/2014 3:06:18 AM >
Post #: 514
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 7:24:25 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

So what about the most important ingredient, the meat? Don't do burgers often but when I do, it's always 3/4 chuck, 1/4 sirloin. High heat, quick sear, rare to medium-rare. Lots of salt and Tellicherry pepper. Almost criminal to put anything else on it, except for the egg.

I was practically the only one who talked about the meat. Angus being my choice.

Pass on the rare untopped egg burger though. My toppings must have horrified you.

Made a mental note to buy Tellicherry pepper.
Post #: 515
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 7:44:54 AM   
Dave E

As juicy lucys go, Nook/Shamrock's is king.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 516
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 8:06:10 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

quote:

So that's my story!

Bush Lake Rd is my shortcut home to avoid 169, and every time Bud has a garage sale the shortcut turns into a nightmare. Buyers, fans, gawkers and freaks line the narrow passage way.

I'm probably one of the freaks.

Post #: 517
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 9:36:21 AM   
El Duderino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave E

As juicy lucys go, Nook/Shamrock's is king.

That's a matter if preference. I was underwhelmed by Shamrock's. Blue Door all the way for me, if I can get in.

The Dude Abides
Post #: 518
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 10:56:22 AM   
Toby Stumbo

Damn, you guys are making me hungry.

GO VIKES!
Post #: 519
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 11:12:38 AM   
David Levine

quote:

I'm with you. If its a good burger, I can eat it plain happily. Too many toppings and I start to lose the burger.
Post #: 520
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 12:00:44 PM   
Todd M

Why lose the spaghetti with sauce and cheese? Just butter the noodles.

Why lose the salad with a bunch of toppings? Just chew on a head of lettuce.
Post #: 521
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 12:06:18 PM   
JT2

quote:

That is actually how I prefer lettuce. Just salt and pepper.
Post #: 522
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 12:06:38 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Because good beef that is well cooked has a lot more flavor than buttered pasta or lettuce. How much stuff do you put on top of a steak when you eat it?
Post #: 523
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 12:10:18 PM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

Because good beef that is well cooked has a lot more flavor than buttered pasta or lettuce. How much stuff do you put on top of a steak when you eat it?

Typically just steak sauce. If i'm feeling adventurous - cheese. Occasionally - grilled onions and or mushrooms.
Post #: 524
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 12:12:15 PM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

Typically just steak sauce. If i'm feeling adventurous - cheese. Occasionally - grilled onions and or mushrooms.

Ewwww. Cheese on a steak. Yuck. And get rid of the sauce too.
Post #: 525
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode