Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 10/7/2014 11:22:28 AM   
David F.

I've been to 5-8 Club once. It has a fun history. It's called 5-8 club from back in the day when it was a speakeasy. 5-8 stands for highway 58. I see it as a family friendly restaurant. Matt's is a true dive. The locals tend to pledge allegiance to one or the other. Me - I'm a Matt's guy. I have a Matt's hat and t-shirt. It never fails to amaze how far away you can be and have strangers strike up conversations over the hat or shirt. It's really fun.

In St. Paul they have Casper and Runion's Nook (aka The Nook) They do Jucy Lucy's (I refuse to spell that any other way) and quite honestly they probably have the best damn burger in MN. Even Guy Fietti listed them as his 2nd or 3rd favorite burger anywhere. There's also the Blue Door Pub. They have a blue cheese Jucy Lucy that is really fricken good.

You really can't miss at any of them but I believe in my heart that Matt's is the true original and should be the starting point for everyone.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 801
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 10/7/2014 11:39:24 AM   
Ricky J

I appreciate the efforts
Post #: 802
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 10/8/2014 11:51:25 AM   
Che Oesterreich

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

I've been to 5-8 Club once. It has a fun history. It's called 5-8 club from back in the day when it was a speakeasy. 5-8 stands for highway 58. I see it as a family friendly restaurant. Matt's is a true dive. The locals tend to pledge allegiance to one or the other. Me - I'm a Matt's guy. I have a Matt's hat and t-shirt. It never fails to amaze how far away you can be and have strangers strike up conversations over the hat or shirt. It's really fun.

In St. Paul they have Casper and Runion's Nook (aka The Nook) They do Jucy Lucy's (I refuse to spell that any other way) and quite honestly they probably have the best damn burger in MN. Even Guy Fietti listed them as his 2nd or 3rd favorite burger anywhere. There's also the Blue Door Pub. They have a blue cheese Jucy Lucy that is really fricken good.

You really can't miss at any of them but I believe in my heart that Matt's is the true original and should be the starting point for everyone.

Agreed completely, proceeded in exactly that order myself. Tried Matt's first, 5-8 second, and Nook third (and best IMO) but all are great and if you're a blue cheese fan it sounds like you can't miss with the Blue Door.

Bunny's is great too, voted best Minnesota sports bar recently by the local CBS outlet. I'm actually going to Bunny's manager's wedding on Saturday so I'm quite certain he won't be working this week on pain of death or I'd tell you to look out for him, really good guy! They have great breakfast and gameday atmosphere and specials too.
Post #: 803
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 10/8/2014 1:44:25 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Che Oesterreich

quote:

Agreed completely, proceeded in exactly that order myself. Tried Matt's first, 5-8 second, and Nook third (and best IMO) but all are great and if you're a blue cheese fan it sounds like you can't miss with the Blue Door.

Bunny's is great too, voted best Minnesota sports bar recently by the local CBS outlet. I'm actually going to Bunny's manager's wedding on Saturday so I'm quite certain he won't be working this week on pain of death or I'd tell you to look out for him, really good guy! They have great breakfast and gameday atmosphere and specials too.

That's kind of a let down. I was assuming Bunny's would be some local spot with a few old farts hanging out. Popular sports bar would be nice I guess if I wanted to see a game.
Post #: 804
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 10/8/2014 2:45:29 PM   
Che Oesterreich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

That's kind of a let down. I was assuming Bunny's would be some local spot with a few old farts hanging out. Popular sports bar would be nice I guess if I wanted to see a game.

Looking for total dive or "hipstery" dive or straight up American Legion type place?
Post #: 805
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 10/8/2014 2:49:53 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Looking for total dive or "hipstery" dive or straight up American Legion type place?

I pictured a neighborhood bar Tice was going to ... that's all. I thought that'd be unique.

Bunny's must be a dime a dozen.
Post #: 806
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 10/8/2014 2:55:56 PM   
Che Oesterreich

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I pictured a neighborhood bar Tice was going to ... that's all. I thought that'd be unique.

Bunny's must be a dime a dozen.

Gotcha, yeah unfortunately probably not quite what you're looking for unless you go during off hours. It definitely has a more home town feel than the traditional chain style sports bar, I've had random conversations every time I've been there and people are quite friendly but it's always been packed and is pretty large, though it's broken up into multiple bars so it doesn't feel nearly as big as it is.
Post #: 807
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 10/28/2014 9:55:16 PM   
Ricky J

Going to spend Halloween and Sat in Mpls. I'm going to have to go through this thread and find those cool places you guys talked about. Looking forward to some Chipotle's as well. Todd M I can buy you you're meal I owe you're in the neighborhood. ;)

Anything cool going on? And I'm not paying $74 (cheapest ticket on Stub Hub) for a Wild ticket, either.
Post #: 808
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 10/29/2014 4:38:43 AM   
Ian Joseph

Stay for the game..

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 809
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 10/29/2014 6:38:07 AM   
Ricky J

Im considering it ... :)
Post #: 810
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 10/31/2014 4:46:56 PM   
Ricky J

Staying at W 78th Circle. Just went to Chipotle on York for carry out.

Golf Galaxy's next.
Post #: 811
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 11/3/2014 10:11:28 PM   
Bought a Harrys starter shave kit cuz I'm tired of paying $5 a blade.
Been getting bombarded with ads so I gave it a shot.
It's crap. Don't bother.

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 812
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 11/3/2014 10:13:44 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art

It's crap. Don't bother.

You crack me up.

I think I'm going to boycott Harry's.
Post #: 813
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 11/4/2014 6:59:22 AM   
Ricky J

Checked out Matt's this weekend at 35th/Cedar. Good burgers, no doubt.

Thanks Dave!
Post #: 814
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 11/4/2014 8:07:01 AM   
bohumm

quote:

It's crap. Don't bother.

Get a Blade Buddy (in spite of the name) and your blades will last a long, long time. It's truly a miracle product.
Post #: 815
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 11/4/2014 11:58:28 AM   
Does it work with the Gillette Pro Glides?

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 816
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 11/4/2014 12:14:24 PM   
bohumm

quote:

Does it work with the Gillette Pro Glides?

Works with any razor. It's the simplest contraption ever. You might be able to get one via Groupon or Living Social.
Post #: 817
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 11/4/2014 10:34:30 PM   
David F.

quote:

Thanks Dave!

Awesome! Was the guy with the two-foot-dreads cooking and/or did they have the spot that President Obama sat in marked off? Did you go downstairs to those awful restrooms? Was there a line out the door?

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 818
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 11/5/2014 7:12:09 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

Thanks Dave!

Awesome! Was the guy with the two-foot-dreads cooking and/or did they have the spot that President Obama sat in marked off? Did you go downstairs to those awful restrooms? Was there a line out the door?

I didn't actually see who was cooking. We walked right in the door - it's still a wait - but right after us there was a mini line outside. I've seen a lot of restrooms worse than that, DF.
Post #: 819
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 11/5/2014 11:25:39 AM   
Yeah. Try having an intestinal malfunction brought on by food poisoning in a NYC subway men's room.

Post #: 820
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 11/5/2014 11:58:44 AM   
thebigo

quote:

Yeah. Try having an intestinal malfunction brought on by food poisoning in a NYC subway men's room.

Next time I'm in NYC.
Post #: 821
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 11/5/2014 12:13:16 PM   
bohumm

quote:

That's why I never eat in NYC subway restrooms
Post #: 822
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 11/5/2014 12:25:56 PM   
It's the water cooler thread, right?
I flew down to New Orleans for the weekend and had a couple dozen oysters at the Acme Oyster House.
Went straight to the airport and flew home.
Near the end of the flight I was feeling a little queasy.
I had band practice that evening and took the Train to the Plane to Manhattan from JFK.
A couple of guys met me at 42nd Street and we took the D train together.
A lot of it is a blur after that but in a nutshell I started writhing in agony and laid down across a few seats on the train.
A cop comes in ... billy clubs the bottom of my feet and tells me to get up.
My two friends are telling him I'm sick etc...
He lifts me up and when the doors open throws me off the train.
Can't remember the stop but at that point I hobbled to the mens room.
No seat (not seat cover, no seat) on the toilet.
I splashed my ass down on it and sat there for 20 minutes until the ambulance arrived (my friends had called).
Took me to the hospital where tests revealed I had ingested a bacteria native to only New Orleans and Louisiana.
Took them a day to get the right anti-biotic in me via IV.
Felt better 24 hours later.

I have never eaten an oyster since.

Post #: 823
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 11/5/2014 12:37:38 PM   
bohumm

quote:

I flew down to New Orleans for the weekend and had a couple dozen oysters at the Acme Oyster House.
I had band practice that evening and took the Train to the Plane to Manhattan from JFK.
A lot of it is a blur after that but in a nutshell I started writhing in agony and laid down across a few seats on the train.
I splashed my ass down on it and sat there for 20 minutes until the ambulance arrived (my friends had called).
Took me to the hospital where tests revealed I had ingested a bacteria native to only New Orleans and Louisiana.

I have a recurring nightmare where I enter a NYC subway bathroom.

That's it. That's the nightmare.

Sorry you had to go through that and live with the memory.
Post #: 824
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 11/5/2014 12:40:12 PM   
hagar

quote:

YIKES!
Post #: 825
Page:   <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode