Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes water cooler thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  65 66 [67] 68 69   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 9/21/2016 9:28:55 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art

What's the trendy dinner spot in Minneapolis?

I'm a big fan of Seven.

Got a recommend for the Brewers Table at Surly.

I've never been there and don't know anyone who has. I'm no help for you.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1651
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/2/2016 10:18:45 AM   
Todd M

Ok...so two weeks finally passed.

I want to start this off with something I didn't expect when I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago...

I expected to do this as a smoker. Two weeks ago when I made my post I was smoking. I was 4 weeks into a '6 weeks to your 1st 5K run' program and I was resigned pretty much to finish the program and run today as a smoker. Dumb but that's where I was at. Then after my post Dave got talking about quitting and there were some responses and I thought - I'll just do it then. I'll smoke this many more smokes and then go to work without them and quit cold turkey. Well what I did instead was tell myself not to play games - if I was serious just to do it right then. And so I did. Been smoke free for 2 weeks now and maybe as important - nicotine free. Maybe those talking about doing it cold turkey knew best all along...

Anyway - back to the original point of this post -

I did my 1st 5K today! Trained and practiced over the last 6 weeks and saw it out today. Had a goal to finish in under 30 minutes - and hit 29:22!

I know that's not a great time and it's only 5K - not even a 1/2 marathon - but pretty damn impressive considering where I was as soon back as February this year - when I would cough, sputter, and sometimes dry heave 'hustling' for the bus.

Hat tip to David A Olson. He said in a pm something along the line of training for a marathon. Half joking in passing. Well...on my way...

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1652
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/2/2016 10:26:01 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Todd:

proud of you, man.

the thumbnail says it all.

you are looking more healthy and obviously feeling real good about yourself now, as you should.

You confronted a couple of serious heath issue challenges and slammed them to the ground like a true Viking pass rusher.

way to go , man.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1653
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/2/2016 10:42:18 AM   
Ricky J

Cool beans, Todd!
Post #: 1654
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/2/2016 10:42:26 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I want to start this off with something I didn't expect when I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago...

I expected to do this as a smoker. Two weeks ago when I made my post I was smoking. I was 4 weeks into a '6 weeks to your 1st 5K run' program and I was resigned pretty much to finish the program and run today as a smoker. Dumb but that's where I was at. Then after my post Dave got talking about quitting and there were some responses and I thought - I'll just do it then. I'll smoke this many more smokes and then go to work without them and quit cold turkey. Well what I did instead was tell myself not to play games - if I was serious just to do it right then. And so I did. Been smoke free for 2 weeks now and maybe as important - nicotine free. Maybe those talking about doing it cold turkey knew best all along...

I did my 1st 5K today! Trained and practiced over the last 6 weeks and saw it out today. Had a goal to finish in under 30 minutes - and hit 29:22!

I know that's not a great time and it's only 5K - not even a 1/2 marathon - but pretty damn impressive considering where I was as soon back as February this year - when I would cough, sputter, and sometimes dry heave 'hustling' for the bus.

Hat tip to David A Olson. He said in a pm something along the line of training for a marathon. Half joking in passing. Well...on my way...

Thumbnail Image

https://youtu.be/AEciKnfhr3Y

Physically only brother...

Well done!

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 1655
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/2/2016 11:09:59 AM   
David Levine

Awesome Todd. Super proud.

And absolutely nothing wrong with that time. You set a realistic, but challenging goal, and you beat it.

Badass.
Post #: 1656
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/2/2016 1:31:00 PM   
bohumm

You are a poster child for confronting health issues. Weight, diabetes, smoking. ...comorbidities we see in ICU patients' charts time after time. I point these three to my students constantly (along with alcoholism) as thumbs on death's scale when something else goes wrong.

Great job! And fukk the time.
Post #: 1657
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/2/2016 2:33:12 PM   
Dave Odle

Really proud of you, Todd! Like I said, I've been there recently. When things pile up, it's hard to just take one thing at a time and turn it around. You look awesome!

Try using hindsight in the present.
Post #: 1658
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/2/2016 2:57:25 PM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

Thumbnail Image

Lookin' good, Todd!

And hey, first time the goal is just to finish. Next time around you can worry about a best time. And with the smoking out of the way, the running will get easier.

I wonder how long until you add a 10K to your collection. And then that half-marathon, probably within a year.

Which comes first, the triathlon or marathon. Decisions, decisions...

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 1659
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/2/2016 9:40:15 PM   
MarkWren

You are rollin', Todd! Well done, sir.
Post #: 1660
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/3/2016 7:35:21 AM   
eagleflorida

I hope my pm's raggin' on your smoking helped you to this Todd. I know how tough all that stuff is & I'm damn proud of you.

Oh BTW, lose the dorky shorts and get you some spandex or racing shorts.
Post #: 1661
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/3/2016 8:20:36 AM   
joejitsu

quote:

Thumbnail Image

Are you sure that you did not ride that bike behind you to complete the 5k? Just kidding, Todd. You look great, but more importantly, I hope you feel great. Smoking is a monster to quit, but it can be done with will power. And it appears that you have a pantload of will power, so don't sweat it.
Post #: 1662
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/3/2016 8:45:05 AM   
Phil Riewer

Keep it going Todd....

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1663
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/3/2016 9:16:04 AM   
David F.

What a great post to start a Monday morning! So impressed with you Todd!

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1664
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/3/2016 9:18:21 AM   
Lynn G.

Not only do you look and feel better - you no doubt smell better too. You're probably soon going to get your smell and taste senses back to full bore and you're going to realize just how bad smokers smell.

Congrats on all of the benchmarks you've made and passed.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1665
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/3/2016 11:08:26 AM   
Toby Stumbo

GO VIKES!
Post #: 1666
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/3/2016 12:11:52 PM   
David F.

I'll give you an unsolicited suggestion - take it or leave it. Figure up the money you previously spent per month on smoking and capture it. By capture it I mean specifically take that money at the beginning or end of every month and put it somewhere (separate account, etrade account, under your mattress - who cares?). If you don't do this the money will just magically disappear into your monthly budget and you won't even know where it went.

I did this myself with alcohol. At the end of every month I take $530 and buy a stock in my scott trade account. My investments are down $250 for the year but I still have the rest. I firmly believe that if I wasn't doing this I'd have nothing extra in my checking account and likely have nothing to show for it.

Post #: 1667
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/3/2016 1:07:43 PM   
Steve Lentz

What an amazing accomplishment. Congrats my friend!!!!!

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1668
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/3/2016 1:57:48 PM   
SoMnFan

Could not be happier for you Todd.
Should be so proud.
Nothing easy about what you've done.
Love it dude. You've added years to your life. You'll be able to catch a Couple more Viking SB titles for sure.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1669
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/4/2016 7:21:24 AM   
ewen21

Was gonna come on here and say something about last night's game. Let me first say to Todd that I am impressed. I am at a crossroads myself. I am 50 and I still smoke. I only smoke about two packs a week, but it is enough. I feel the nicotine working on me. I feel the addiction. I am so tied into it with my schedule. I teach, so I work on a "smoke-free campus". I don't smoke during the day. I smoke when I get home. Sometimes a cigarette is like a filet mignon to me by the time I get home. Last night I had three and I also drank alcohol. I am off from work today (Jewish holidays, thanks to the NY state teachers union) so I am sitting here drinking tons of Poland Spring water doing my best to come around. My "smoke break" needs to end. It's almost like I do it as an end of the day reward. I smoke them like they are cigars. Thank heaven I finished that pack last night. I bought it last Thursday. I managed to not to smoke when my girlfriend was here Saturday and part of Sunday. I have to stop. It's about 5 to 8 cigs a day..really a night. I hate the way I feel in the morning. It's all because of cigs.

Add to it the fact my Giants lost. I am a Twins fan, not a Vikings fan. I did come on here a couple of weeks ago to say I saw no way the Giants would go into Minnesota and win. Not with the way the o-line was playing, not against that defense. I was shocked that Eli was not sacked. He does a brilliant job getting rid of the ball. And Odell Beckham is an ass. I am getting so sick of his antics. Good luck Viking fans. I'll be rooting for you in the playoffs

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 1670
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/4/2016 9:55:36 AM   
Lynn G.

Nice thing to say ewen21. It's really hard for me to express goodwill toward a team that beats my team (but a bit easier when they're not division rivals) - so I really appreciate your good luck wishes to us. You have known the thrill of winning the big one and with every single atom in my body I feel that it is finally going to be our turn.

Best wishes on quitting the smoking habit. I have my own addictions (sweets would top the list), but I have always heard that kicking nicotine is about as hard as it comes. Keep you eye on the prize (that good health you will gain from quitting cigarettes) and I know you can do it.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1671
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/4/2016 11:46:51 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: ewen21

Was gonna come on here and say something about last night's game. Let me first say to Todd that I am impressed. I am at a crossroads myself. I am 50 and I still smoke. I only smoke about two packs a week, but it is enough. I feel the nicotine working on me. I feel the addiction. I am so tied into it with my schedule. I teach, so I work on a "smoke-free campus". I don't smoke during the day. I smoke when I get home. Sometimes a cigarette is like a filet mignon to me by the time I get home. Last night I had three and I also drank alcohol. I am off from work today (Jewish holidays, thanks to the NY state teachers union) so I am sitting here drinking tons of Poland Spring water doing my best to come around. My "smoke break" needs to end. It's almost like I do it as an end of the day reward. I smoke them like they are cigars. Thank heaven I finished that pack last night. I bought it last Thursday. I managed to not to smoke when my girlfriend was here Saturday and part of Sunday. I have to stop. It's about 5 to 8 cigs a day..really a night. I hate the way I feel in the morning. It's all because of cigs.

Add to it the fact my Giants lost. I am a Twins fan, not a Vikings fan. I did come on here a couple of weeks ago to say I saw no way the Giants would go into Minnesota and win. Not with the way the o-line was playing, not against that defense. I was shocked that Eli was not sacked. He does a brilliant job getting rid of the ball. And Odell Beckham is an ass. I am getting so sick of his antics. Good luck Viking fans. I'll be rooting for you in the playoffs

Try a patch and a sub for the ciggies in your various routines. If you can, swap out healthy snacks and visualize the healthy molecules in your body winning against the invaders. Quitting is hard, and becomes more so by the day, so keep trying to find something that works. ......
Post #: 1672
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/4/2016 12:02:04 PM   
thebigo

quote:

You might want to try e-cigs/vaping. Nicotine, while addictive, is a fairly innocuous drug. It's the other poisons/smoke in cigarettes that do you in.
Post #: 1673
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/4/2016 12:46:52 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

Wow, you are the perfect candidate to just have one more filet mignon and call it quits! In a week you'd be good to go.
Post #: 1674
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/4/2016 12:48:51 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

You might want to try e-cigs/vaping. Nicotine, while addictive, is a fairly innocuous drug. It's the other poisons/smoke in cigarettes that do you in.

Just quit! No e-cigs, no gum, no chew ... just do it - maybe replace it with a gallon of water a day.
Post #: 1675
Page:   <<   < prev  65 66 [67] 68 69   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  65 66 [67] 68 69   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode