Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes water cooler thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  66 67 [68] 69 70   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/4/2016 1:57:53 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ewen21

Was gonna come on here and say something about last night's game. Let me first say to Todd that I am impressed. I am at a crossroads myself. I am 50 and I still smoke. I only smoke about two packs a week, but it is enough. I feel the nicotine working on me. I feel the addiction. I am so tied into it with my schedule. I teach, so I work on a "smoke-free campus". I don't smoke during the day. I smoke when I get home. Sometimes a cigarette is like a filet mignon to me by the time I get home. Last night I had three and I also drank alcohol. I am off from work today (Jewish holidays, thanks to the NY state teachers union) so I am sitting here drinking tons of Poland Spring water doing my best to come around. My "smoke break" needs to end. It's almost like I do it as an end of the day reward. I smoke them like they are cigars. Thank heaven I finished that pack last night. I bought it last Thursday. I managed to not to smoke when my girlfriend was here Saturday and part of Sunday. I have to stop. It's about 5 to 8 cigs a day..really a night. I hate the way I feel in the morning. It's all because of cigs.

You might want to try e-cigs/vaping. Nicotine, while addictive, is a fairly innocuous drug. It's the other poisons/smoke in cigarettes that do you in.

Just quit! No e-cigs, no gum, no chew ... just do it - maybe replace it with a gallon of water a day.

That's the optimal solution for sure.
Post #: 1676
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/4/2016 3:18:06 PM   
ewen21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Nice thing to say ewen21. It's really hard for me to express goodwill toward a team that beats my team (but a bit easier when they're not division rivals) - so I really appreciate your good luck wishes to us. You have known the thrill of winning the big one and with every single atom in my body I feel that it is finally going to be our turn.

Best wishes on quitting the smoking habit. I have my own addictions (sweets would top the list), but I have always heard that kicking nicotine is about as hard as it comes. Keep you eye on the prize (that good health you will gain from quitting cigarettes) and I know you can do it.

The crazy part I'll work out pretty good 2 or 3 times a week..... Then a half hour later I light up. Makes no sense and I am feeling the effects of it more and more the older I get. I could be so much better off. I really want to quit.

And YES, I am rooting for the Vikings this year. I couldn't last night, but from here on in, I will. Here's to me not smoking anymore and the Vikings winning the Super Bowl

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 1677
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/4/2016 3:19:01 PM   
ewen21

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ewen21

Was gonna come on here and say something about last night's game. Let me first say to Todd that I am impressed. I am at a crossroads myself. I am 50 and I still smoke. I only smoke about two packs a week, but it is enough. I feel the nicotine working on me. I feel the addiction. I am so tied into it with my schedule. I teach, so I work on a "smoke-free campus". I don't smoke during the day. I smoke when I get home. Sometimes a cigarette is like a filet mignon to me by the time I get home. Last night I had three and I also drank alcohol. I am off from work today (Jewish holidays, thanks to the NY state teachers union) so I am sitting here drinking tons of Poland Spring water doing my best to come around. My "smoke break" needs to end. It's almost like I do it as an end of the day reward. I smoke them like they are cigars. Thank heaven I finished that pack last night. I bought it last Thursday. I managed to not to smoke when my girlfriend was here Saturday and part of Sunday. I have to stop. It's about 5 to 8 cigs a day..really a night. I hate the way I feel in the morning. It's all because of cigs.

You might want to try e-cigs/vaping. Nicotine, while addictive, is a fairly innocuous drug. It's the other poisons/smoke in cigarettes that do you in.

Just quit! No e-cigs, no gum, no chew ... just do it - maybe replace it with a gallon of water a day.

That's the optimal solution for sure.

Polishing off my 4th Poland Spring as I type this

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 1678
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/24/2016 10:39:16 PM   
bgdavis

I've got an idea for a topic, but I'm not sure if it's worthy of it's own thread. The premise is that we have a one-time ability to swap one current Viking (player or coach) for any one former viking (player or coach) in their prime. Which current Viking would you trade away for which former Viking to get the maximum improvement for the team?

Heimdall kept the “ringing” horn, Gjallarhorn, which could be heard throughout heaven, earth, and the lower world; he would sound the horn to summon the gods when their enemies drew near.
(Norse mythology)
Post #: 1679
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/24/2016 10:41:46 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: bgdavis

I've got an idea for a topic, but I'm not sure if it's worthy of it's own thread. The premise is that we have a one-time ability to swap one current Viking (player or coach) for any one former viking (player or coach) in their prime. Which current Viking would you trade away for which former Viking to get the maximum improvement for the team?

Jarius Wright for Randy Moss.
Post #: 1680
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/24/2016 10:58:17 PM   
bgdavis

quote:

quote:

Moss would be a big improvement to the WRs, but without an OLine improvement there might not be enough time to get the ball to him.

My pick would be Brandon FuscoWillie Beavers for Randall McDaniel, though we probably need a T more than a G.

Updated - Trading away the back-up G instead of the starter.

< Message edited by bgdavis -- 10/24/2016 11:01:22 PM >

Heimdall kept the “ringing” horn, Gjallarhorn, which could be heard throughout heaven, earth, and the lower world; he would sound the horn to summon the gods when their enemies drew near.
(Norse mythology)
Post #: 1681
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/25/2016 4:42:54 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Moss would be a big improvement to the WRs, but without an OLine improvement there might not be enough time to get the ball to him.

My pick would be Brandon FuscoWillie Beavers for Randall McDaniel, though we probably need a T more than a G.

Updated - Trading away the back-up G instead of the starter.

The existence of Moss on the field out wide, by itself, gets the defense out of 8 in the box. Moss on the field pretty much means 6 maybe 7 in the box, with the 7th more focused on the pass than the run.
Post #: 1682
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/25/2016 6:18:52 PM   
MarkWren

Fusco out; Randall McDaniel IN. 50% improvement in OL overnight.
Post #: 1683
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/25/2016 6:22:57 PM   
Thomas O. Eliason

quote:

The existence of Moss on the field out wide, by itself, gets the defense out of 8 in the box. Moss on the field pretty much means 6 maybe 7 in the box, with the 7th more focused on the pass than the run.

That's how Robert Smith got so many jailbreaks.

Of course our OL was quite good at the time too...

PPE II baby
Post #: 1684
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/25/2016 7:13:31 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkWren

Fusco out; Randall McDaniel IN. 50% improvement in OL overnight.

Still leaves our tackles, which are 80% of the problem IMO.
Post #: 1685
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 11/4/2016 7:43:59 AM   
Todd M

I know this is TMI but who else am I going to share it with...the wife is sick of hearing it...

I have eaten so clean this last week (after binging on all your wonderful junk food in the states - and carrying that over for two weeks when I got home) I literally have not needed toilet paper this whole week. I um...check every time and all but my system is 100% - and that's no exaggeration...clean as a whistle.

Thinking of calling Guiness Book of Records...

Blood sugars are below 5 every check as well. Didn't even measure for 3 weeks...I "knew" but didn't want to know what I was doing to my body...the risk I was taking.

I've literally never felt so full of vitality in my life.
Post #: 1686
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 11/4/2016 7:46:39 AM   
Todd M

Green, red/purple, and brown (chocolate) smoothies every day...(3 total) and then just clean protein - fish and chicken in between.
Post #: 1687
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 11/4/2016 7:49:06 AM   
Todd M

I don't know if it's a good thing to get away with your mistakes but I have suffered no consequences for my 180 venture back into bad habits. Diabetes still in remission, weight still exactly at 100lbs lost.
Post #: 1688
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 11/4/2016 7:50:26 AM   
Todd M

Guiness says 7 days is indeed a record.
Post #: 1689
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 11/4/2016 9:45:54 AM   
Ricky J

Ii was without coffee and processed meat for 3 years until I went to Hawaii. I'm currently on coffee overload and I wish I was still eating only the meat I shoot myself.

I jogged three days a week for years until I hurt my back and had to give it a rest. Haven't been in a jogging routine since.

Those things were important but not life altering by any means. So far there hasn't been a reason to even come close to tempting me to have a beer. Never say never but this one is pretty close.

Be grateful for the important things we handle correctly in life or sure ....
Post #: 1690
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 11/4/2016 10:01:21 AM   
Todd M

You are right.

You can't say never so I certainly can't but I feel from you that you totally got this. There's a strength in you and meeting you confirmed it.

David F's got it too...I just know the both of you strong enough to win the lifelong battle.

I'm not into a life long battle...though I probably should be...considering... I have a 3 month goal here and we'll see where the numbers lie in Feb when I get my blood work done. But I'd be lying if I didn't already have visions of the things I'm going to want to indulge on afterwords. I hope to show the strength to turn it off a lot faster than I did after the peak I was at in Minnesota and decided, consciously, to go on a bender. Alcoholics can't do that. Go x amount of time and then drink their face off. Then slide back easily to a non drinking lifestyle.

I probably shouldn't...but I'm gonna.
Post #: 1691
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 11/4/2016 11:42:14 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

You are right.

You can't say never so I certainly can't but I feel from you that you totally got this. There's a strength in you and meeting you confirmed it.

David F's got it too...I just know the both of you strong enough to win the lifelong battle.

I'm not into a life long battle...though I probably should be...considering... I have a 3 month goal here and we'll see where the numbers lie in Feb when I get my blood work done. But I'd be lying if I didn't already have visions of the things I'm going to want to indulge on afterwords. I hope to show the strength to turn it off a lot faster than I did after the peak I was at in Minnesota and decided, consciously, to go on a bender. Alcoholics can't do that. Go x amount of time and then drink their face off. Then slide back easily to a non drinking lifestyle.

I probably shouldn't...but I'm gonna.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease and it progresses whether you are actively drinking or not. That alone is reason to never touch it again. The fact that I don't stop when I start is even more reason. I literally don't stop.

Geez who let Davey Downer in here? jk. Sort of.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1692
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 11/4/2016 12:21:08 PM   
Lynn G.

Todd - I would just caution you to not read too much into the fact that nothing bad happened after a couple of weeks of eating crappy food. It sometimes takes a while for that to show up on the scales or even in blood work, but that trap has ruined many a dieter's progress. After cheating for a while and not seeing any negative outcome, it's easy to say "Hey - I think my body has made some adjustments and now I can process this junk better" or something like that.

Not that I say you can never indulge. How crappy would life be if you could never have your favorite treats once in a while. Better to just indulge a little bit here or there than to go on a bender though.

But goodness - I don't think you need any advice. You've done an amazing job!

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1693
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 11/4/2016 12:44:01 PM  1 votes
Ricky J

I see a couple things in TM & TO in myself at as well.

Before I quit alcohol this last time I quit many times prior - but never with the intention to quit forever. I was a guy that knew it caused a lot of problems in my life. I can't tell you how many times I quit for a month, 3 months, 6 months and even 1 years once; and I always drank when my date came up.

When I quit after my birthday on March 5, 1986 it was different. I got a DUI prior to that and wasn't supposed to drink according to my release agreement blah, blah whatever that was. I had an appointment on March 6th and it was evident I was drinking - back in I went. I didn't have a pot to piss in and no one was going to bail me out. Seven days later they offer me a deal: go to treatment and we'll drop a charge. I had nothing better to do the next 28 days so I gladly accepted the deal.

Things click with me differently than others. On the first or second Friday night at treatment we went to an open AA meeting with an outside group. I'll never forget what this guys said other than the exact percentage: "Only 15% of you will actually stay sober." My response in my mind was, "And I'm that 15%.

Also, one of my wife's best friends whose husband failed at treatment (same place) at least once said to her, "I'll give him 3 months." I can't thank those two people enough. Never tell me what I can't do!

I never stopped, either, DF. I consider myself a stage 3 down in the gutter alcoholic. I am so blessed that when I actually quit it went down the way it did. Not once in over 30 years have I ever had the smallest desire to drink - and all you readers really can't grasp how amazing that is if you would of felt the addiction like I felt the addiction.

There is one thing that I am more sure of than anything. There is no, "Just one and I'll stop again." This is it for me.

This isn't Davey Downer for me. I've talked about this stuff here and there but since 98 I'm pretty sure I never told a whole story like this one on the message board. Any more I don't feel there is a time, place, type of conversation about alcohol that bothers me. It's just thing.
Post #: 1694
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 11/4/2016 12:53:53 PM  1 votes
SoMnFan

Love reading this stuff.
Great stuff guys.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1695
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 11/4/2016 9:45:02 PM  1 votes
Steve Lentz

Got some good tough people in here. Congrats to all of you.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1696
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 11/5/2016 7:45:10 AM  1 votes
stfrank

quote:

I see a couple things in TM & TO in myself at as well.

Before I quit alcohol this last time I quit many times prior - but never with the intention to quit forever. I was a guy that knew it caused a lot of problems in my life. I can't tell you how many times I quit for a month, 3 months, 6 months and even 1 years once; and I always drank when my date came up.

When I quit after my birthday on March 5, 1986 it was different. I got a DUI prior to that and wasn't supposed to drink according to my release agreement blah, blah whatever that was. I had an appointment on March 6th and it was evident I was drinking - back in I went. I didn't have a pot to piss in and no one was going to bail me out. Seven days later they offer me a deal: go to treatment and we'll drop a charge. I had nothing better to do the next 28 days so I gladly accepted the deal.

Things click with me differently than others. On the first or second Friday night at treatment we went to an open AA meeting with an outside group. I'll never forget what this guys said other than the exact percentage: "Only 15% of you will actually stay sober." My response in my mind was, "And I'm that 15%.

Also, one of my wife's best friends whose husband failed at treatment (same place) at least once said to her, "I'll give him 3 months." I can't thank those two people enough. Never tell me what I can't do!

I never stopped, either, DF. I consider myself a stage 3 down in the gutter alcoholic. I am so blessed that when I actually quit it went down the way it did. Not once in over 30 years have I ever had the smallest desire to drink - and all you readers really can't grasp how amazing that is if you would of felt the addiction like I felt the addiction.

There is one thing that I am more sure of than anything. There is no, "Just one and I'll stop again." This is it for me.

This isn't Davey Downer for me. I've talked about this stuff here and there but since 98 I'm pretty sure I never told a whole story like this one on the message board. Any more I don't feel there is a time, place, type of conversation about alcohol that bothers me. It's just thing.

You just told a good portion of my story Ricky, although I must confess I didn't make it to a treatment center until DUI number four. My major light bulb moment came about 3 months after treatment when I was out sharing an AA meeting with my sponsor at a Detox center. An older gentleman was in detox and looked right at me when he told me how his progressive disease got him there. He had over 25 years of sobriety in AA when he retired and decided to quit going to meetings at that time too. One day after mowing the lawn a beer sounded good so he had one.....and 6 weeks later was in detox. To this day I make sure I go to at least one meeting a week and always remember it is the first one that kicks my ass every time. One day at a time!
Post #: 1697
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 11/5/2016 10:36:24 AM  1 votes
Lynn G.

I am so proud of you guys who have fought an addiction and won. The possibilities for humans are really endless when we put our heart and soul into something, but that doesn't mean it isn't a hard road along the way. Kudos to you and my heartfelt thanks for every moment you are an inspiration to someone else.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1698
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 11/5/2016 12:48:39 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

I am so proud of you guys who have fought an addiction and won. The possibilities for humans are really endless when we put our heart and soul into something, but that doesn't mean it isn't a hard road along the way. Kudos to you and my heartfelt thanks for every moment you are an inspiration to someone else.

Thank you for your nice comment. Please forgive me but this is a chance to share a little insight for whatever it's worth. Nobody fought and won anything. We continue to fight and if successful the reward is 24 hours of reprieve - nothing more, nothing less. The possibilities of the human ARE limited and when left to our own willpower we fail. It's only with the help from fellow addicts that we can be successful for one day. That help comes from both trained professionals and untrained brothers and sisters going through the same thing.

I'm not trying to tear your post apart I'm just trying to share an insight into our community. You mention inspiration so I'll repeat what our unit manager said to us one day when she overheard some of us congratulating each other on learning some skill (I don't recall what specific one it was). She said, "Congratulations boys! It just took you a week to learn something that millions of other people do automatically without even thinking about it."

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1699
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 11/5/2016 8:28:34 PM   
Lynn G.

I appreciate the clarification. I want to understand the reality you face and that helped.

Post #: 1700
Page:   <<   < prev  66 67 [68] 69 70   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  66 67 [68] 69 70   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode