Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes water cooler thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  74 75 [76] 77 78   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/3/2017 7:21:47 PM   
Todd M

Finally a version to challenge Whitney Houston's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy3AJcb61xs

Not the best youtube quality video but it showcases plenty.

That's my girl. Most of you probably don't watch America's got talent but it took one second for me to catch her audition and I knew she was special. She came in 2nd, in a voting format, luckily this year against a real #1 Las Vegas worthy act, but it doesn't matter.

Remember the name Angelica Hale. She's 10. Each of the bigger songs she took on during her run on AGT she was able to take to a higher level, live in front of a studio audience without the aid of studio enhancement.

She's onto big things. Big big things. Mariah, Dion, Houston, as big as that.
Post #: 1876
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/6/2017 9:10:03 AM   
Lynn G.

Yes, she has a beautiful voice, but boy has she been overcoached. Those flourishes ruin the song for me, whenever anyone does it.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1877
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/6/2017 10:56:33 AM  1 votes
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

That's my girl. Most of you probably don't watch America's got talent but it took one second for me to catch her audition and I knew she was special. She came in 2nd, in a voting format, luckily this year against a real #1 Las Vegas worthy act, but it doesn't matter.

Remember the name Angelica Hale. She's 10. Each of the bigger songs she took on during her run on AGT she was able to take to a higher level, live in front of a studio audience without the aid of studio enhancement.

Challenging Whitney for 2nd place?

The GOAT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRvVzaQ6i8A
Post #: 1878
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/6/2017 11:24:05 AM   
Phil Riewer

There was a lot of talent on the show this year....Angelica Hale should be on Disney like yesterday with the girl named after Celine Dion.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1879
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/6/2017 1:30:10 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

The GOAT:

Nothing comes close, and I LOVE a lot of versions (Jimi, Whitney, etc. )
Post #: 1880
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/6/2017 1:39:46 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

The GOAT:

I love this comment:

"He did the impossible: made The Star Spangled Banner a good song."
Post #: 1881
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/6/2017 2:41:34 PM  1 votes
Todd M

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The GOAT:

I love this comment:

Never heard that one before. Totally unexpected and certainly unique. Not sure it resonates with me though.
Post #: 1882
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/6/2017 2:50:51 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Yes, she has a beautiful voice, but boy has she been overcoached. Those flourishes ruin the song for me, whenever anyone does it.

Don't watch those silly shows, this may not be the same thing, got tired of Whitney Houston because it became apparent she was in love with her own voice.
Post #: 1883
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/6/2017 4:03:22 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The GOAT:

I love this comment:

Never heard that one before. Totally unexpected and certainly unique. Not sure it resonates with me though.

If you love Whitney, this performance should resonate with you. What an incredible talent:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ac1kw
Post #: 1884
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/6/2017 5:45:47 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The GOAT:

I love this comment:

If you love Whitney, this performance should resonate with you. What an incredible talent:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ac1kw

Nice. Love when she goes big.
I think Angelica Hale could tackle that song. Live. And hit at as many or more big notes.
Post #: 1885
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/6/2017 6:09:11 PM   
Todd M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTnsJfu-Zbk

Al Angelica's AGT performances.

Like I said, she takes big songs and not only works them live, she takes parts of them to different levels than the original artist does in a recording studio.

Evidence:
Rise up. 3 min mark.
Girl on fire. 5:25 mark the extension of that note.
Clarity: 8:50 mark. The extension of THAT note. Perhaps the best example because right after she's still singing big. Also the whistle at 9:20 with the finish. (bet Lynn wouldn't like it)
Symphony: She simple sings the chorus better an bigger. Also a bigger finish with a better whistle (I can imagine Lynn really bristling at that)

The only detraction right now, and at 10 there is nothing she can do and will grow out of it; is some of her base notes have too much childlike tone to them. Some. And like I said she'll grow out of that. And get bigger. She's already come a long ways in 2 years.
Post #: 1886
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/6/2017 6:15:35 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

There was a lot of talent on the show this year....Angelica Hale should be on Disney like yesterday with the girl named after Celine Dion.

The most talent if you consider there hasn't been a stronger top 2.

Celine Tam is nothing. A limited robot performer her dad has sculpted to make a buck off of. I could see her struggling to win local contests against just singers her age. She is several definitive steps below Angelica. I'd guess Lynn would prefer her style to Angelica's. (not to trying to pick on ya Lynn, it's just topical based on what you said you didn't like - but I could be wrong and that you only meant it for Anthem singing)
Post #: 1887
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/7/2017 6:45:05 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Don't watch those silly shows, this may not be the same thing, got tired of Whitney Houston because it became apparent she was in love with her own voice.

I don't watch them either. The first time heard her was by clicking on Todd's link.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1888
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/7/2017 6:51:55 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

quote:

Celine Tam is nothing. A limited robot performer her dad has sculpted to make a buck off of. I could see her struggling to win local contests against just singers her age. She is several definitive steps below Angelica. I'd guess Lynn would prefer her style to Angelica's. (not to trying to pick on ya Lynn, it's just topical based on what you said you didn't like - but I could be wrong and that you only meant it for Anthem singing)

I kind of feel the same way for any song - not just the anthem. I appreciate a good voice (because I can only croak), but it just feels so phony to me when someone does excessive voice modulation, kind of like when someone takes a one syllable word and turns it into two syllables. Maybe I'm a purist and didn't know it. Just sing the song with the notes that were written for it.

One of the things I like so much about Whitney's version is her heartfelt emphasis. Like when she sings the part "Oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave" she REALLY sings the words, emphasizing each one. She didn't need to doodle away the notes, her voice and those words gave me chills.

Post #: 1889
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/7/2017 7:07:11 AM   
stfrank

quote:

quote:

quote:

I kind of feel the same way for any song - not just the anthem. I appreciate a good voice (because I can only croak), but it just feels so phony to me when someone does excessive voice modulation, kind of like when someone takes a one syllable word and turns it into two syllables. Maybe I'm a purist and didn't know it. Just sing the song with the notes that were written for it.

One of the things I like so much about Whitney's version is her heartfelt emphasis. Like when she sings the part "Oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave" she REALLY sings the words, emphasizing each one. She didn't need to doodle away the notes, her voice and those words gave me chills.

I'm with you on this one Lynn. Nothing worse than a singer doing their vocal excersises while performing a song. Do your excersises beforehand and sing the song the way it was writen by the composer.
Post #: 1890
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/7/2017 7:40:54 AM   
eagleflorida

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTnsJfu-Zbk

Al Angelica's AGT performances.

Like I said, she takes big songs and not only works them live, she takes parts of them to different levels than the original artist does in a recording studio.

Evidence:
Rise up. 3 min mark.
Girl on fire. 5:25 mark the extension of that note.
Clarity: 8:50 mark. The extension of THAT note. Perhaps the best example because right after she's still singing big. Also the whistle at 9:20 with the finish. (bet Lynn wouldn't like it)
Symphony: She simple sings the chorus better an bigger. Also a bigger finish with a better whistle (I can imagine Lynn really bristling at that)

The only detraction right now, and at 10 there is nothing she can do and will grow out of it; is some of her base notes have too much childlike tone to them. Some. And like I said she'll grow out of that. And get bigger. She's already come a long ways in 2 years.

Thanks for the link Todd. Like bigo I don't do those talent shows but omigoodness can that little gal sing. What an uplifting experience to hear her perform. In this day & age of divisiveness & rancor & mass killings she brought tears to my eyes and gave me a feelgood day which seem to be few & far between lately. Angelica......you go girl. Your future is extremely bright.
Post #: 1891
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/7/2017 8:05:17 AM   
Todd M

Awesome. Glad to hear it.
Post #: 1892
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/7/2017 8:44:45 AM   
quote:

quote:

quote:

The GOAT:

Thanks DL.

Yeah Bob, that one stands alone...

So unique, so inspiring, and such a simpler time.

College, go to school/ play golf (Not necessarily in that order) and go to the Fabulous Forum....
  Post #: 1893
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 10/7/2017 9:36:31 PM   
Lynn G.

Did anyone else on the board volunteer for Crew 52 for the Superbowl? I got my call yesterday that I'm in - and I'll find out soon which jobs I'm assigned. Should be kind of fun!

Post #: 1894
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 11/6/2017 8:59:12 AM   
Lynn G.

I put my money (and my time) where my mouth is. I applied for a spot on a team that is going to the US Virgin Islands for hurricane relief work and heard a couple of days ago that I'm in. I'll be going to St. Thomas for a week in January with a group called All Hands Volunteers. They're A rated - right up there with Red Cross.

I have to pay my own airfare, but they put us up in a church and feed us. It'll be mostly dirty work, like tearing down walls in homes, doing mold amelioration and putting up new walls. I guess I'll know more when I get there. When I applied I indicated I would go to either Puerto Rico or St. Thomas and they assigned me St. Thomas because they don't yet have a team in Puerto Rico. They DO have teams in Texas and Florida, and they also have earthquake relief teams in South America and Nepal.

If any of you have an interest in doing hurricane relief work I highly suggest contacting All Hands Volunteers. I'm anticipating hard work, but a very satisfying experience. I'll be keeping a journal and blogging about it when I get home. I can't do it while I'm there because there will be no wi-fi where I'm staying. I guess I'll be weaned from my daily fix here!

Post #: 1895
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 11/6/2017 9:03:08 AM   
SoMnFan

Atta girl Lynn
You da woman!
Seriously, very cool.
Can't wait to hear about it.
Post #: 1896
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 11/6/2017 9:40:50 AM   
Todd M

Mad respect, Lynn. That's awesome.
Post #: 1897
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 11/6/2017 10:11:16 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

I put my money (and my time) where my mouth is. I applied for a spot on a team that is going to the US Virgin Islands for hurricane relief work and heard a couple of days ago that I'm in. I'll be going to St. Thomas for a week in January with a group called All Hands Volunteers. They're A rated - right up there with Red Cross.

I have to pay my own airfare, but they put us up in a church and feed us. It'll be mostly dirty work, like tearing down walls in homes, doing mold amelioration and putting up new walls. I guess I'll know more when I get there. When I applied I indicated I would go to either Puerto Rico or St. Thomas and they assigned me St. Thomas because they don't yet have a team in Puerto Rico. They DO have teams in Texas and Florida, and they also have earthquake relief teams in South America and Nepal.

If any of you have an interest in doing hurricane relief work I highly suggest contacting All Hands Volunteers. I'm anticipating hard work, but a very satisfying experience. I'll be keeping a journal and blogging about it when I get home. I can't do it while I'm there because there will be no wi-fi where I'm staying. I guess I'll be weaned from my daily fix here!

What a wonderful thing to do!

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1898
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 11/10/2017 9:51:22 AM   
Lynn G.

For those of you here who remember Barb Frazee, she posted something kind of fun on Facebook. She won some kind of contest so Andrew Sendejo came to her house and visited with her! She had some pictures online to prove it.

Years ago, back when I used to tailgate with Barb and hang out, I visited her famous purple house in Minneapolis. It was painted the coolest dark purple color with teal (I think it was) trim and it looked so cool - and so now I'm wondering if she still has the same paint scheme. Maybe that's the contest she won??? If so I hope Sendejo thought it was cool.

< Message edited by Lynn G. -- 11/10/2017 10:15:21 PM >

Post #: 1899
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 11/10/2017 9:54:19 AM   
Lynn G.

And right after I posted this I see that Ricky posted a picture of Barb and Sendejo in the Vikings thread. Beat me to it Ricky! I didn't dare post her picture here because I didn't know if she would give permission - but she DID post it on Facebook so that's very public.

Post #: 1900
Page:   <<   < prev  74 75 [76] 77 78   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  74 75 [76] 77 78   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode