Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes water cooler thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  76 77 [78] 79 80   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/8/2017 4:47:51 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Duderino

Observation from the first wintery commute of the season yesterday:

As I was driving to and from work in my front-wheel-drive hybrid, I saw a bunch of 4x4s having difficulty gaining traction while I rolled along as nice as can be.

PSA: If you're not going to make sure you always have good tires on your vehicle, don't waste your money and fuel on 4 wheel drive. Two extra drive wheels doesn't mean squat if none of your wheels have traction. At best, you're going to get stuck. At worst, you're going to get overconfident, go off the road, and flip your vehicle.

Icy roads don't care if you have four wheel drive. Four wheel drive does not mean four wheel stop. Four wheel drive helps in deeper snow, NOT on ice. Slow down idiots.

That's just silly.

Sure if it's 100% glare on all 4 wheels at all times. But most situations you've got a couple wheels on ice, meanwhile the other 2 wheels are gripping on a better less icy suface.

No, it’s not... 4 wheel drive is next to useless on ice of any kind, intermittent ice or not..

It’s twice the hazard as a two wheel drive vehicle because you are basically trying to drive and steer 2- two wheel power trains at once.

It is zero advantage and creates A false sense of confidence and security in idiots who do not understand that even with 4 wheel drive and “ extra” traction, the laws of physics and momentum are exactly the same.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1926
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/8/2017 10:05:36 AM   
bgdavis

One advantage of the 4wd in winter is if you do end up getting stuck, or go off the road (due to ice or whatever), the 4wd will might give you a better chance of getting back on the road w/o requiring a tow.

If the vehicle supports both 2wd to 4wd modes, it's usually better to keep it in 2wd mode. I used to have a Bronco II that had the feature. Driving in 2wd was better on fuel efficiency. In winter, I generally kept it there, and only switched to 4wd for driving through deeper snow. A couple times I got stuck in tall drifts (in my own driveway, go figure) where I needed to switch over to 4wd to get through.

Heimdall kept the “ringing” horn, Gjallarhorn, which could be heard throughout heaven, earth, and the lower world; he would sound the horn to summon the gods when their enemies drew near.
(Norse mythology)
Post #: 1927
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/8/2017 10:14:43 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

quote:

As I was driving to and from work in my front-wheel-drive hybrid, I saw a bunch of 4x4s having difficulty gaining traction while I rolled along as nice as can be.

PSA: If you're not going to make sure you always have good tires on your vehicle, don't waste your money and fuel on 4 wheel drive. Two extra drive wheels doesn't mean squat if none of your wheels have traction. At best, you're going to get stuck. At worst, you're going to get overconfident, go off the road, and flip your vehicle.

Icy roads don't care if you have four wheel drive. Four wheel drive does not mean four wheel stop. Four wheel drive helps in deeper snow, NOT on ice. Slow down idiots.

That's just silly.

Sure if it's 100% glare on all 4 wheels at all times. But most situations you've got a couple wheels on ice, meanwhile the other 2 wheels are gripping on a better less icy suface.

No, it’s not... 4 wheel drive is next to useless on ice of any kind, intermittent ice or not..

It’s twice the hazard as a two wheel drive vehicle because you are basically trying to drive and steer 2- two wheel power trains at once.

It is zero advantage and creates A false sense of confidence and security in idiots who do not understand that even with 4 wheel drive and “ extra” traction, the laws of physics and momentum are exactly the same.

4 wheel drive is really only 3 wheels unless it is AWD.....I liked my subaru all wheel drive when I had it....

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 12/8/2017 10:17:01 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1928
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/8/2017 10:16:09 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's just silly.

I get that false sense of security when my rear wheels are spinning out, but my front wheels grab and get me going, that whole ability to avoid on coming traffic thing.
Post #: 1929
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/8/2017 11:44:19 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's just silly.

4 wheel drive is really only 3 wheels unless it is AWD.....I liked my subaru all wheel drive when I had it....

For some LSDs
Post #: 1930
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/14/2017 8:48:48 AM   
Todd M

I just have to put it out there - I'm like in the top percentile in omelette making.

Rocking them out strictly vegetarian to boot. No animals had to die to enjoy something awesome. Still rocking the pescatarian diet. Haven't had beef, pork, our foul in idk...10 weeks...maybe just over 2 months not sure...I don't even think about it or really miss it.
Post #: 1931
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/14/2017 9:14:38 AM   
Ricky J

Good stuff!
Post #: 1932
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/14/2017 9:18:12 AM   
Lynn G.

I've been meaning to ask how you're doing with all of that Todd. Still sticking to the regimen that brought you back to such good health?

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1933
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/14/2017 9:27:36 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M
I just have to put it out there - I'm like in the top percentile in omelette making.
Rocking them out strictly vegetarian to boot. No animals had to die to enjoy something awesome. Still rocking the pescatarian diet. Haven't had beef, pork, our foul in idk...10 weeks...maybe just over 2 months not sure...I don't even think about it or really miss it.

Todd I would be interested in an update too....

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1934
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/14/2017 9:31:23 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

I've been meaning to ask how you're doing with all of that Todd. Still sticking to the regimen that brought you back to such good health?

So the first year was about reversing things. Which I did. This last year was about searching for more of the final version of me that I want to be. I tell you - fighting the bounce back is probably harder than making the changes I did in the first place. Things are going very well wrt my health

I'm not 100 pounds lighter like I was at my peak weight loss but overall I'm stronger, I enjoy a lot more mental clarity. I do have a push coming up here to tie it all together. I've got a lot of the crap out of my system but stiill lose to the occasional binging. Plus I have to quit smoking again. Getting there though. I think by the time I get 3 years out from diagnosis I will have taken my final form. Then get ready to ride out my 50's doing right by myself giving myself the best chance at health and vitality.
Post #: 1935
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/14/2017 9:34:47 AM   
Todd M

I'll say no time and time again and then eat 3/5ths of a box of quality street chocolates over a Sat night through Sunday. That's a 907 gram box.

3/5ths of a box = all the ones but the fruit creams ones.
Post #: 1936
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/14/2017 9:39:05 AM   
Todd M

The hardest thing I think was when I was rocking blood sugars in the top range of very healthy people...I rebelled against fate and mortality and sort of went at it in a I can do whatever I want now way. Did that through the start of the 2nd leg (2nd year) back and forth for 6 months. Got the arrow in the right direction now with the super super healthy diet...minus the occasional binge like I said.

< Message edited by Todd M -- 12/14/2017 9:40:24 AM >
Post #: 1937
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/14/2017 3:48:54 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Good for you man. I mean it sucks to be you , but good for you.
Post #: 1938
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/14/2017 3:52:12 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Don't ride him too hard BigO. Dude came up with a way to make a vegetarian OMLETE

J/K Todd. I know how hard it is to eat that way all the time, good job.
Post #: 1939
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/14/2017 3:52:49 PM   
Jeff Jesser

And, in case anyone is actually interested. They do make vegan 'egg' substitute. It's disgusting
Post #: 1940
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/14/2017 4:07:14 PM   
Ricky J

I get not eating meat (in a big way) but the vegan thing puzzles me
Post #: 1941
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/14/2017 4:43:08 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

So the first year was about reversing things. Which I did. This last year was about searching for more of the final version of me that I want to be. I tell you - fighting the bounce back is probably harder than making the changes I did in the first place. Things are going very well wrt my health

I'm not 100 pounds lighter like I was at my peak weight loss but overall I'm stronger, I enjoy a lot more mental clarity. I do have a push coming up here to tie it all together. I've got a lot of the crap out of my system but stiill lose to the occasional binging. Plus I have to quit smoking again. Getting there though. I think by the time I get 3 years out from diagnosis I will have taken my final form. Then get ready to ride out my 50's doing right by myself giving myself the best chance at health and vitality.

Proud of you dude
Takes a hell of a lot of self discipline to quit enjoyable things.
Post #: 1942
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/14/2017 6:16:59 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Don't ride him too hard BigO. Dude came up with a way to make a vegetarian OMLETE

Get some peppered olive oil heating up, throw in some chopped garlic, jalapeno, red onion, red pepper, portobello mushroom, and black beans, then add the eggs with a bit of cream beaten in...cook it up and then add habanero cheddar cheese, and habaneros in adobe sauce, fold and finish cooking.

So many ways to do it but this is my go to.
Post #: 1943
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/14/2017 6:35:07 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Sooooooo, what DO you eat?
Post #: 1944
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/14/2017 7:01:35 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

Can't tell if you're messing with me ... putting you in a head lock the next time I see you if you are ...

People that follow what people say around here know I went three years eating only the meat I shot (deer, turkey, parakeets, etc).
I liked that way of life a lot although it was hard on my wife at times with her being a farm girl and two growing boys.

Went to Hawaii and thought I needed to experience everything there including the food - stupid mistake. Hadn't had coffee two years prior to that, ether - haven't stopped the hyper train since.

A lot of times I will go without when ordering for example, Subway, Asian Grill, etc. I never get anything with meat when I go into a Kwik Star or other such places. But I eat meat. I think about going back to the vegetarian route all the time, though - first I'm probably gonna have to wait until that half of beef in the freezer is gone.

Like, Todd, I can't stand to see animals suffer. My hats off to him in a big way. Maybe I'll be there soon
Post #: 1945
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/14/2017 7:02:02 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

Get some peppered olive oil heating up, throw in some chopped garlic, jalapeno, red onion, red pepper, portobello mushroom, and black beans, then add the eggs with a bit of cream beaten in...cook it up and then add habanero cheddar cheese, and habaneros in adobe sauce, fold and finish cooking.

Was busten' yer' balls. Some vegetarians think eggs are a no-no.
Post #: 1946
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/14/2017 7:04:21 PM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

quote:

Was busten' yer' balls. Some vegetarians think eggs are a no-no.

Ah, that's why you emphasized omelette not vegetarian. Gotcha..

I used to think I couldn't give up meat but I did...I could never ever give up eggs, cheese, and dairy.
Post #: 1947
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/14/2017 7:05:17 PM   
hagar

quote:

quote:

I hear Vegans are tasty because they're a free range animal?
Post #: 1948
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/14/2017 7:25:35 PM   
Todd M

quote:

Like, Todd, I can't stand to see animals suffer. My hats off to him in a big way. Maybe I'll be there soon

This is a huge driving factor for me. My friend at work busts my balls all the time saying how he's sure the cows and chickens on the farms where I get milk and eggs are treated real nice.

I am trying to remove myself from commercial factory farming but I know there is more I could do. Need to find reliable sources for these things from places I trust. Willing to pay more. It's something I'm going to implement soon.

---
If milk commercials were honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM95_k9onEc
Post #: 1949
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 12/14/2017 7:32:39 PM   
Todd M

quote:

I went three years eating only the meat I shot (deer, turkey, parakeets, etc

Loved that you put that in there.
Post #: 1950
Page:   <<   < prev  76 77 [78] 79 80   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  76 77 [78] 79 80   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode