Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General NHL

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: General NHL Page: <<   < prev  99 100 [101] 102 103   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General NHL - 4/1/2016 6:01:02 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

The Whale.
Love the old teams that are gone.
The Seals and their white skates, our North Stars ... Sigh.

The Seals were Seattle, right? I never saw them play. I remember the Whalers, though. And, of course, the Stars. I used to go to the Chicago Stadium to watch the Stars play the Hawks, and I was actually a Stars fan at that time. When they left Minnesota, they were dead to me.

Ummm....there were never the Stars in Minnesota. They were the North Stars!
Post #: 2501
RE: General NHL - 4/1/2016 6:02:26 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

quote:

quote:

The Whale.

The Seals were Seattle, right? I never saw them play. I remember the Whalers, though. And, of course, the Stars. I used to go to the Chicago Stadium to watch the Stars play the Hawks, and I was actually a Stars fan at that time. When they left Minnesota, they were dead to me.

I know that, stfrank! I just hate typing!
Post #: 2502
RE: General NHL - 4/1/2016 6:04:23 PM   
stfrank

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

quote:

quote:

The Whale.

I know that, stfrank! I just hate typing!

Well I hate the Stars and loved the North Stars.
Post #: 2503
RE: General NHL - 4/1/2016 6:22:15 PM   
SoMnFan

Seals were in Oakland
Post #: 2504
RE: General NHL - 4/1/2016 7:51:42 PM   
joejitsu

Keith gets 6 games off. If it was up to me, he'd be out longer. He's a great player, but I don't like cheap shots.
Post #: 2505
RE: General NHL - 4/1/2016 9:50:58 PM   
SoMnFan

Some great chatter about it on the network tonight.
Rupp woulda killed Keith if he had walked onto the set.
Some horrible events in that guys career.
The Coyle event might have been one of his least lethal.
Rupp made great points, this is a highly skilled dude who usually uses the toe.
Luckily Coyle got the heel.
As Rupp said .... "The toe of the hockey stick is a WEAPON"
When you turn it intentionally like he has in the past, he wanted to slice people's throats.
And the gutless NHL gives him 6 games. GUTLESS Canadien buddies.
Post #: 2506
RE: General NHL - 4/2/2016 5:53:51 AM   
stfrank

quote:

Some great chatter about it on the network tonight.
Rupp woulda killed Keith if he had walked onto the set.
Some horrible events in that guys career.
The Coyle event might have been one of his least lethal.
Rupp made great points, this is a highly skilled dude who usually uses the toe.
Luckily Coyle got the heel.
As Rupp said .... "The toe of the hockey stick is a WEAPON"
When you turn it intentionally like he has in the past, he wanted to slice people's throats.
And the gutless NHL gives him 6 games. GUTLESS Canadien buddies.

And this is exactly why the NHL will always be just one tiny step above the WWE and MMA. A regional fringe sport at best.....sad but true.
Post #: 2507
RE: General NHL - 4/2/2016 9:15:27 AM   
TJSweens

So Voldemort got a 7 PLAYOFF game suspension for a knee to knee when he had a longer stretch of no incidents than Keith. That's our chickenshit NHL. Should have been AT LEAST 10.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2508
RE: General NHL - 4/2/2016 3:09:49 PM   
Stacey King

NHL suspends Duncan Keith six games – and dispels the “star treatment” myth
Matt Larkin

The Duncan Keith verdict is in. The NHL Department of Player Safety has suspended the Chicago Blackhawks defenseman six games, including the first game of the playoffs, for his retaliatory high stick on Minnesota right winger Charlie Coyle March 29.

New footage surfaced Friday depicting the play leading up to Keith’s stick swing. Coyle got his stick up high on Keith. But let’s not get bogged down here. For one, as director of player safety Patrick Burke says in the DOPS’ explanatory video, Coyle’s contact with Keith was the result of a battle for the puck. The contact was incidental. Keith, on the other hand, has full control of his stick, and that’s what establishes the intent. Even if we were to accept Coyle as partially guilty, the more vicious of the two acts was punished.

The Keith ban sent a strong message that the NHL will not give star players preferential treatment. Illegal is illegal. Not that Keith’s suspension should’ve been necessary to dispel the myth of “star favoritism” or even “Chicago favoritism” for that matter. Here’s a cross section of 2015-16’s suspensions to date, working backward, only including those dished out by the Department of Player Safety:

Duncan Keith, 6 games
Jake Virtanen, 2 games
Jared Boll, 4 games*
Chris VandeVelde, 2 games
Dalton Prout, 1 game
Gabriel Landeskog, 3 games*
Darnell Nurse, 3 games
Max Domi, 1 game
Zac Rinaldo, 5 games*
Ryan Reaves, 3 games
Leo Komarov, 3 games
Drew Stafford, 1 game
Milan Lucic, 1 game
Bobby Farnham, 4 games
Matt Hendricks, 3 games
Marcus Johansson, 2 games
Zach Sill, 2 games
Brad Marchand, 3 games*
Max Talbot, 2 games
Nate Thompson, 3 games
Radko Gudas, 3 games
Brandon Dubinsky, 1 game
Gabriel Landeskog, 2 games
Mark Stone, 2 games
Jason Demers, 2 games
Tyson Barrie, 3 games
Nikita Nesterov, 2 games
Raffi Torres, 41 games

* = repeat offender within 18 months under collective bargaining agreement

If we included bans handed out by the NHL as a whole and the hockey operations department for incidents unrelated to player safety, we also get Dennis Wideman’s 20-game (reduced to 10) ban for hitting an official; the performance-enhancing drug busts for Jarred Tinordi and Shawn Horcoff; and the one-game bans handed to Alex Ovechkin and Jonathan Toews for skipping the All-Star Game.

But let’s work exclusively from the DOPS list. Does the league “have it in” for one particular team? Hm, well, in 29 suspensions handed out, 20 of the 30 NHL teams are covered. Eastern bias? Hardly. Thirteen bans for the East versus 16 for the West. Coddling Canada? Try again. Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver, Edmonton and Winnipeg have had players suspended by the DOPS (and that doesn’t even take hockey ops’ ban on Wideman into account).

What about the idea of favoring star players, one I’ve had tabled about 344,889 times on social media over the past five years? Keith’s ban naturally contradicts that notion, as he’s a two-time Norris Trophy winner, a Conn Smythe Trophy winner, a three-time Stanley Cup champion and a two-time gold medallist. He’s a Future Hall of Famer and, gee, the league had no problem disciplining him. Same goes for Colorado Avalanche captain Gabriel Landeskog, suspended twice this season. Or Brad Marchand, whose 35 goals rank seventh in the NHL. Leo Komarov, slapped with a three-game ban, represented his team in the All-Star Game in January. Stone and Domi are the top-scoring forwards on their respective teams.

A DOPS detractor may claim this year’s suspension list doesn’t factor in all the dirty plays superstar players “got away with.” But that’s a lazy assertion. Keith’s ban suggests players aren’t getting away with anything – if they’re behaving illegally on the ice. His six-game ban is the second-longest suspension handed out this season, and it’s longer if we factor in the weight of a playoff game versus regular season. We’ve seen big names suspended plenty of times before Keith, too. Ovechkin has earned four suspensions in his career, three from the DOPS. Claude Giroux got banned for a 2012 elimination game in the playoffs – which his Philadelphia Flyers lost.

I spent a night at the DOPS office last season to learn the ins and outs of how the NHL handles supplemental discipline. There were many fascinating takeaways but one of them was that these people are professionals. Their No. 1 goal is to change player behavior for the better, regardless of each player’s status in the league. They wouldn’t be doing their jobs properly otherwise.
Post #: 2509
RE: General NHL - 4/2/2016 9:12:55 PM   
SoMnFan

I'm speechless.
They're touting six games as some harsh treatment?
I kept waiting to read that it was an Onion piece.
Post #: 2510
RE: General NHL - 4/2/2016 9:25:29 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

I'm speechless.
They're touting six games as some harsh treatment?
I kept waiting to read that it was an Onion piece.

Same here. All I heard on sports talk radio today was it should have been 15 games BARE MINIMUM. Of course there was star treatment. But this article takes the facts and argues NO star treatment? WTF?
Post #: 2511
RE: General NHL - 4/3/2016 1:00:15 PM   
joejitsu

Hawks are up 6-0 on the bruins, and there is still another period to play. Not too shabby today.
Post #: 2512
RE: General NHL - 4/3/2016 2:13:24 PM   
joejitsu

Well, not too shabby until about 40 secs to go in the second. But, they still pull out a win. Nothing is easy this season.
Post #: 2513
RE: General NHL - 4/10/2016 9:34:52 PM   
SoMnFan

Same old, same old.
Ovie needs 3 on final day? Ovie GETS 3 on final day.
He is a Force of Nature, there is truly only ONE of him in the league.
Detroit in again. 25 straight years, pretty damn impressive.
Post #: 2514
RE: General NHL - 4/10/2016 10:23:16 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I've seen 99 but I was a little kid. I've seen 66 but I was in high school and "too cool" to give props to any non-North Star.

I can honestly say. Since I've been old enough to admit 'non MN sports stars are also great'......OV8 is the most dominating hockey player I've ever seen.
Post #: 2515
RE: General NHL - 4/10/2016 10:29:42 PM   
SoMnFan

No one else can get into a real NHL game thinking "I'm gonna get three" and .... get three.
He could have had it plastered on his ass, you could literally feel it was gonna happen.
Nothing anyone could do. A force of nature. A drive like none I've ever seen, either, Jeff. He's not a complete player, but he's simply a scary focused animal most nights.
And his clock is ticking and he feels it.
Post #: 2516
RE: General NHL - 4/13/2016 10:03:20 PM   
joejitsu

Ovechkin is a true power forward in every sense of the word. Maybe if Lindros stayed healthy he could've been a similar player to Ovechkin. He's the most physical Russian player I've seen since Konstantinov.
Post #: 2517
RE: General NHL - 4/14/2016 6:45:32 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Lindros was a pure net front power forward. He didn't have OV8's speed or shot. Both would have been dominate though if EL could have avoided concussions.
Post #: 2518
RE: General NHL - 6/13/2016 11:11:34 AM   
Mr. Ed

#stlblues announce Mike Yeo has been hired to Ken Hitchcock's staff as an assistant and will take over as head coach in 2017-18.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 2519
RE: General NHL - 6/13/2016 12:53:02 PM   
SoMnFan

Ahhh, the glamour and allure of working again with Kyle Brodziak ...
Post #: 2520
RE: General NHL - 6/13/2016 12:55:08 PM   
TJSweens

Now he has a whole new roster to turn into Yeobots. Looks like Rick Wison is going with him.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2521
RE: General NHL - 6/13/2016 4:39:03 PM   
Lynn G.

We'll get a chance to see if it was more Yeo or the players that were the problem. No doubt it was a mixture of both. I just wish he had been picked up by a team that we rarely play because you know how our exes always seem to come back to kill us - - - in every sport.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 2522
RE: General NHL - 6/13/2016 4:41:21 PM   
TJSweens

I'm glad Yeo Yeo is in the division. One more team in our division we don't have to worry about reaching their potential. He will probably be about as successful as Richards was.

Post #: 2523
RE: General NHL - 6/13/2016 4:53:28 PM   
Jeff Jesser

It's clear the "leaders" on our team didn't respect him. I have no doubt he knows a lot about hockey but for whatever reason, they quit on him every season. If our guys did that makes you think it won't happen in other cities?

Bad hire and STL needs about as much of a total overhaul as we did. Now he's gonna sit behind Hitch for a year? Yeah, I'm sure they'll welcome him with open arms.
Post #: 2524
RE: General NHL - 6/13/2016 7:09:01 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

It's clear the "leaders" on our team didn't respect him. I have no doubt he knows a lot about hockey but for whatever reason, they quit on him every season. If our guys did that makes you think it won't happen in other cities?

Bad hire and STL needs about as much of a total overhaul as we did. Now he's gonna sit behind Hitch for a year? Yeah, I'm sure they'll welcome him with open arms.

And, like, Hitch is gonna lovvvve that sitch.
He's as prickly as it comes.
Having someone there he's supposed to be grooming to take his job, standing at his shoulder every inch of the way?
Cannot think of a place I'd rather not be ...
Post #: 2525
Page:   <<   < prev  99 100 [101] 102 103   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: General NHL Page: <<   < prev  99 100 [101] 102 103   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode