Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General NHL Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: General NHL Talk Page: <<   < prev  116 117 [118] 119 120   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/10/2017 5:22:37 PM   
SoMnFan

Two Game Sevens
This should be awesome
Post #: 2926
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/10/2017 5:24:46 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Yeap, guy is a beast but I'll say it again. WTF are these guys and how are they in the finals???????

Honestly every year for the past ten, I only see them once or twice a year
And every time I say "that's the fastest biggest best team I know nothing about"
And then they never advance and disappear.
Post #: 2927
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/10/2017 6:30:15 PM   
stfrank

Let's Play Hockey!!!!!
Post #: 2928
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/10/2017 8:12:48 PM   
stfrank

Fluery has a horseshoe stashed somewhere in his pads tonight......amazing all the great saves he has made tonight.
Post #: 2929
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/10/2017 9:18:01 PM   
ronhextall

Washington gave me that Wild feeling tonight. After getting stoned early you just knew the task was impossible.
Post #: 2930
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/10/2017 11:37:42 PM   
SoMnFan

Unreal
The Caps just got BlackHawked again.
They simply cannot get it done against them.
CLEARLY the better team at everything, except winning.
And yet Pittsburgh just motors along, at about maybe 70 percent ....
I truly thought the Caps had figured it out .. but like Ron said, you knew ten minutes in .... UH-OHHHHHH
Thinking too much
Trying too much
Worrying too much
I'm such an expert that I thought Fleury was going to be the deciding factor .... EXACTLY the opposite of the way it ended up.

Dude gave up 9 goals in Games 5 and 6
Gives up nothing in Game Seven
Its not how good you are, its WHEN you are good.
Still hate the Pens. I know how all my friends get mad at me for loving the Patriots ... this is the same way.
I am convinced that the Penguins cheat, they lie, they get all the breaks, that they are the luckiest SOBs in the world, that the league wants THEM to win.
So I understand how it feels. Both ways.

And man ... if the Sharks figure out how to win Game Sevens ... without our boy BB ..... how bad is this all turning out for us?
Post #: 2931
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/10/2017 11:39:57 PM   
SoMnFan

Watchign the goaltending these playoffs hasn't changed my mind one bit.
To me its still the position that will keep us from being one of these teams.
Dooby gives up 4 or 5 tonight, to both teams. At least.
Post #: 2932
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/10/2017 11:43:55 PM   
SoMnFan

And ... our season is complete

Sharks learn how to win without BB
Blues enjoy great success with Yeo.

Just shoot us.
Now.
Post #: 2933
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/10/2017 11:48:50 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

Capitals vs Penguins.
Another chapter in the yearly epic war these two wage.
I'm wrong every year, and I'm gonna go there again ...
Capitals in 6
Wrong, dumbass. Just another year. Ho-hum. Break up the Caps. Please.

Senators vs Rangers
Amazing to hear Karlsson has been playing with heel fractures.
He makes their world turn.
Rangers have something going on. I'm pulling for King Henrik.
Rangers in 6
Wrong again dipstick. But this one I'm happy about. Except ... now its Ottawa vs Pens for the right ot play for the Cup. Geee, I wonder who will win that one?

Ducks vs Oilers
The Oil carry on for Canada, all others bow out. (well, except Ottawa )
Classic old skool vs NKotB match.
Ducks appear to be on a mission however.
Ducks in 7
Got one, but that was pretty easy really. Oil have nothing to be ashamed of. Way ahead of schedule. Look for Cups there, soon
________

Blues vs Predators
I will be shocked if this is even competitive.
May have been my anger affecting my judgement, but in Rd One I saw a GREAT Preds team and a crappy Blues club.
Preds will attack like we did, but they have finishers and assassins.
Predators in 5 ...... HOPEFULLY IN THREE
Took a couple more than I wanted, but at least the right result. GO PREDS. Lets see if another location who shouldn't even have hockey ... can get a Cup before we do.

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 5/10/2017 11:51:54 PM >
Post #: 2934
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/11/2017 6:47:40 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Should be an interesting day in DC. Sports talk is gonna be brutal. And you're right man. A caller used us (the Wild) as an example of why they, as fans, should feel blessed the other day.

It was honest, true and pissed me off.
Post #: 2935
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/11/2017 6:48:32 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Once that first goal went in, it was over.

Then Holtby went all Dubs on the 2nd and I got that sinking feeling I have gotten very use to.
Post #: 2936
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/11/2017 11:22:35 AM   
Jeff Jesser

They are calling for OV's head here and most ppl want him traded. Wow.
Post #: 2937
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/11/2017 11:56:50 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

We'll take him.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2938
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/11/2017 12:55:21 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

We'll take him.

Oshie is a FA this summer as well, let's take them both! We will send them Miko and Pommer....
Post #: 2939
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/11/2017 1:01:30 PM   
Jeff Jesser

OV's 32 with 4 more years on his contract. I would take that on in a heartbeat. Oshie is going to get 7 mill, we won't be able to afford him without some major move. Sucks as he would be a great addition.
Post #: 2940
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/11/2017 7:48:01 PM   
Sandman

Does OV have a no trade clause?
Post #: 2941
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/12/2017 9:40:24 AM   
joejitsu

quote:

I'll give you Seabrook and Kane for Ovie, straight up.
Post #: 2942
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/12/2017 1:56:32 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Local beat writer (who also happens to be Russian) was on and said he knows him well. Says OV doesn't want to be the "whole guy". Meaning, lead offense, face of the franchise, interview guy ect.

Basically he doesn't like the superstar role and it's too much in the playoffs. Was interesting to hear.
Post #: 2943
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/12/2017 5:47:44 PM   
stfrank

A piece about Jake Guentzel from Russo.

The roots of the Jake Guentzel story can be traced to Colby Lake in Woodbury and heated one-on-one-on-one games of shinny he played against his big brothers.

Jake was merely a squirt. Older brother Gabe was 16, oldest brother Ryan 18. But that never mattered to the 10-year-old.

“Even though we were in high school, Jake had to be just as good as us,” said Ryan Guentzel, now 30 and proud as can be of Jake’s impact as Sidney Crosby’s linemate on a Pittsburgh Penguins juggernaut striving to become the first repeat Stanley Cup champions since the 1998 Detroit Red Wings.

“Whatever we were doing — whether it was shooting or stickhandling on the ice or playing golf, the age difference didn’t matter to Jake. He wanted to beat us.”

Those brotherly battles that often didn’t last long because they’d become too intense. And Jake, who can pull golf clubs out of his trunk at any time and shoot close to par, never lost that intensity. As a 22-year-old first-year pro, he is leading the NHL with nine playoff goals as the Penguins open the Eastern Conference Finals on Saturday against Ottawa.

Eight of Guentzel’s goals came in his first nine career playoff games. The only players since 1943-44 to top that? Hall of Famers Maurice Richard and Mario Lemieux, who now cuts Guentzel’s paychecks as the Penguins’ owner.

Guentzel’s 14th point — which is tied for fourth in the NHL and came on Bryan Rust’s Game 7-winning goal against Washington — broke Jaromir Jagr’s 26-year record for most points by a Penguins rookie in a single postseason. Guentzel’s three game-winning goals are tied for first in the NHL.

Simply, he hasn’t slowed an iota since scoring his first NHL goal on his first NHL shot on his first NHL shift while on a line with Evgeni Malkin and Phil Kessel. A gifted playmaker, Guentzel scored 21 goals and 21 assists in 33 games for AHL Wilkes-Barre this season and another 16 goals and 17 assists in 40 regular-season games for Pittsburgh.

“It’s been a crazy year,” Jake said from the Pittsburgh hotel he’s lived in for most the year.

Crazy for his family, too. Gabe, who skated for at Colorado College, now plays pro hockey in Germany and is Jake’s training mentor, headed for Pittsburgh Friday with mom Sally and father Mike, the Gophers associate men’s hockey coach.

“I think my dad’s most fired up. He’s so into it,” Jake said.

Seeing Jake’s name atop the NHL charts has been “numbing” for the entire clan, Ryan Guentzel says.

“Remarkable,” said Ryan, who played for Notre Dame and is a real estate adviser. “Jake keeps doing things that you keep wondering if it’s going to tail off. I mean, the playoffs are more physical, yet he’s still coming out and producing. It’s been a blast for us to watch.”

Destiny calls

Jake Guentzel was a huge Penguins fan growing up. He posted a picture on his Twitter account taken with his brothers just before Ryan took off for Denmark to play pro hockey. Jake’s wearing a Penguins’ T-shirt. That pic was snapped in 2012 — a summer before the Penguins selected him 77th overall with a well-traveled draft pick that originally belonged to the Wild before acquiring Darroll Powe from Philadelphia.

“I was a huge Crosby and Malkin fan,” Guentzel said. “Those two players have been so dynamic their whole careers, so I always wanted to watch them because of how talented they are.

“It’s amazing. You wake up and it’s still a dream you get to play with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.”

Guentzel was born in Omaha when his dad was coaching the USHL Omaha Lancers. He moved to Minnesota at less than a year old after his dad, a former Gophers defenseman, joined Doug Woog’s staff.

Jake fell in love with hockey. He was on the ice after the Gophers won back-to-back national championships, got to be a stickboy when his now-teammate, Kessel, played at the U.

His game developed playing several years for the 94-born Minnesota Icemen, a Marty Nanne-, Bob Kelly-coached team filled with future college and pros players, like Brady Skjei and Hudson Fasching.

“Everyone knew his hockey brain was beyond everyone else, but his size, he was so tiny,” said Andrew Commers, a former Saint John’s University forward who grew up playing with Guentzel on the Icemen. “He had the hands, had the vision, had the smarts. I still remember, my best friend played with Jake at Hill-Murray, and he used to say, if Jake gets to 5-11, he’s going to the NHL. That’s how good he was.”

Mind for the game

Before Commers’ senior year at St. Thomas Academy, he played on a line with Guentzel and future Gophers captain Justin Kloos in the Elite League.

“I was just the grinder mucking it up trying to get those two the puck, and Kloos and Guentzel were doing some magical things and led the league in scoring,” Commers, now 22 and a commercial real estate broker, said. “Somehow Jake always found his way to the net in the right spots at the right time, and you can see, that hasn’t changed. Every shift, he’s dangerous and doing something right.”

Penguins teammate Matt Cullen, at 40 Jake’s elder by 18 years, says Guentzel’s hockey IQ is elite. It’s why Penguins coach Mike Sullivan plays Guentzel 18 minutes a game — third-most among forwards behind Malkin and Crosby — and uses Guentzel in 4-on-4, power play, penalty kill situations and the last minutes of games when chasing or protecting.

“He’s earned everything,” Cullen said. “He’s not coming in as a top-5 pick that’s going to be guaranteed a spot. It’s a cool story because he came in, got his opportunity early in the year and took advantage of it. He went back down to the minors, really went to school on that first opportunity and came back even better.

“We’re reaping the rewards.”

Making the leap

In the spring of 2016, Guentzel and his dad sat with agent Ben Hankinson in a hotel room at the downtown Minneapolis Marriott where Penguins assistant GM Jason Botterill, who became Buffalo’s GM on Thursday, sold Guentzel on why he should forgo his senior year where he’d captain University of Nebraska Omaha.

Guentzel’s head was spinning because many folks, including then-Mavericks coach Dean Blais, tried to convince him he wasn’t physically ready at 5-11, 180 pounds for pro hockey. But Botterill explained the Penguins’ development vision, who Jake would he end up playing with, how he’d gain perspective from former pros Bill Guerin and Mark Recchi, when he’d debut, that he’d play both center and wing.

“I said to my wife the other day, ‘It was right on,’” Mike Guentzel said. “Everything happened that way.”

Guentzel is the latest Penguins’ youngster to step in and succeed.

“We don’t win a Stanley Cup last year if not for guys like Bryan Rust, Conor Sheary and Matt Murray playing as well as they did,” Cullen said.

Cullen, who as a 20-year-old centered Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne in Anaheim, has been impressed at Guentzel’s confidence next to Crosby. Most players would be intimidated, Cullen said.

Guentzel demonstrated his confidence in Game 7. Laboring through a hip issue, he was clobbered by Caps defenseman Matt Niskanen. But moments later, he popped up and had the patience to look off Crosby and wait for Rust cutting to the net. Ryan Guentzel’s former Notre Dame teammate took the perfect pass for the game’s first goal.

It’s not easy for a rookie to pass over Crosby in a scoreless Game 7.

“He’s got an edge to go with his skills and hockey sense. A little attitude,” Cullen said.

“That’s the way he was back in the day,” Commers said. “He can yap and never backed down from anyone despite his size.”

Pinching themselves

Cullen bets Guentzel gets that side from growing up competing with two older brothers.

“Honestly, Jake reminds me of my third son [7-year-old Joey],” Cullen said. “Jake’s the third boy in his family, and I can see that he got that fire and had to stick up to his older brothers his whole life.”

It has been quite the ride since Sally and Mike Guentzel dropped Jake off at the airport after signing his first contract almost 14 months ago.

“You just don’t know what’s going to happen. It’s a different world, a different life,” Mike Guentzel said.

The Guentzels couldn’t have imagined this in their wildest dreams. Eight more wins, and a Stanley Cup will be celebrated with this summer in a city where a teenager once dreamed about what it would be like to play alongside two superstars he idolized.

Five years later, that teenager is Crosby’s linemate, Malkin’s teammate and having the time of his life playing for the team he once cheered for.

“It’s been really special and you just try to take it inasmuch as you can,” Jake Guentzel said. “It’s crazy how it’s worked out, but we’re only halfway there now. It’s been a long, fun ride, and I’m just trying to make the most of it and really want to win that last game of the year.”
Post #: 2944
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/12/2017 5:52:19 PM   
Jeff Jesser

a summer before the Penguins selected him 77th overall with a well-traveled draft pick that originally belonged to the Wild before acquiring Darroll Powe from Philadelphia.

My gosh we have made some really bad trades
Post #: 2945
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/12/2017 6:49:31 PM   
stfrank

quote:

a summer before the Penguins selected him 77th overall with a well-traveled draft pick that originally belonged to the Wild before acquiring Darroll Powe from Philadelphia.

My gosh we have made some really bad trades

I don't think we have ever been on the good side of any trade yet.......
Post #: 2946
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/12/2017 7:13:55 PM   
SoMnFan

Ovie can play third line for me any day.
Post #: 2947
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/12/2017 7:18:18 PM   
SoMnFan

We've finally made it to the Conference Finals

Ducks vs Preds.
Should be a barn burner.
Anaheim seems on a mission.
Preds have been fantastic.
Coin toss imo.
I've been pulling for both, hard, so either one winning is ok with me.
Please stay healthy so you can beat the Penguins eventually, is all I ask.
PREDS in 7

Sens vs Pens
If there is a God, this one will be an upset.
Doubt it tho.
Pittsburgh is just full of winners.
I love Cullen and Guentzel, can' stand anyone else on that team.
Hoping for a welcome-to-the-big-stage for Karlsson and the boys.
But, its the Pens, and its me, so ...
PENS in 6
Post #: 2948
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/12/2017 8:08:49 PM   
stfrank

quote:

We've finally made it to the Conference Finals

Ducks vs Preds.
Should be a barn burner.
Anaheim seems on a mission.
Preds have been fantastic.
Coin toss imo.
I've been pulling for both, hard, so either one winning is ok with me.
Please stay healthy so you can beat the Penguins eventually, is all I ask.
PREDS in 7

Sens vs Pens
If there is a God, this one will be an upset.
Doubt it tho.
Pittsburgh is just full of winners.
I love Cullen and Guentzel, can' stand anyone else on that team.
Hoping for a welcome-to-the-big-stage for Karlsson and the boys.
But, its the Pens, and its me, so ...
PENS in 6

You pretty much summed up my feelings about the Pens as well. Love Cully and Jake but f** the rest of em.
As far as I'm concerned, anybody but the Pens winning and I'm good with it.
Post #: 2949
RE: General NHL Talk - 5/12/2017 8:57:20 PM   
stfrank

It is really, really hard to cheer for a team that has Kessler on it .........
Post #: 2950
Page:   <<   < prev  116 117 [118] 119 120   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: General NHL Talk Page: <<   < prev  116 117 [118] 119 120   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode