Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General NHL Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: General NHL Talk Page: <<   < prev  123 124 [125] 126 127   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/8/2017 10:33:59 PM   
twinsfan

Isn't Conan a BAHHHHSTON guy?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3101
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/8/2017 10:36:13 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Isn't Conan a BAHHHHSTON guy?

Yes, but I believe has a home in Nashville now. Great friends with Jack White.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 3102
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/9/2017 7:40:14 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Gawd, I'm beginning to hate the NHL. The media is fawning all over Cindy because he "stood up for himself" by repeatedly rabbit punching Suban in the back of the head.

Yeah, in Betman's NHL that's 2 on each
Post #: 3103
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/9/2017 7:44:44 AM   
Jeff Jesser

BTW- Cindy doesn't get pissed at a non-call and throw a water bottle on the ice. It simply slipped out of his hand. He answer "if I wanted to throw it I would have, I have a good arm". How Trumpian. "I have a great arm, it's like...the best arm".

What a ****ing farce.
Post #: 3104
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/9/2017 2:34:11 PM   
kevinemmer

I found the media "fawning" over Sindy sickening also.

"Suban had it coming" from old sourpuss.

That Ref should have been fired/suspended.

They all know who the "untouchables" are in the league.
Post #: 3105
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/9/2017 5:55:49 PM   
stfrank

I knew how the game was going to go early when I saw the ref conferring with Sindey before they cut away for an early TV time out. They had just scored a quick one and now the head ref and Sindey need a meeting during a time out? Really? F** that shit.
Post #: 3106
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/9/2017 5:57:18 PM   
stfrank

On another note......the only reason I wouldn't mind the Pens winning.
From Russo:

NASHVILLE – Matt Cullen has treated this season as his last.

His wife is homesick for Minnesota, and he craves the chance to coach his three hockey-loving boys.

“It’s pretty likely that this will be the end, and if it is, I’d love it to be holding that sucker again,” said the Pittsburgh Penguins veteran, who has played the second-most games (1,488) of any Minnesotan in NHL history.

Cullen smiles widely, his eyes sparkling at the vision. That “sucker” is the Stanley Cup.

If Cullen’s 19-year career is one, possibly two games from drawing to a close, he’d love nothing more than to depart as a back-to-back and three-time Stanley Cup champion.

“That would be pretty unreal. We’re so close,” Cullen said with the Penguins up 3-2 on Nashville with Game 6 on Sunday. Coincidentally, Predators assistant coach Phil Housley is the only Minnesotan who played more NHL games than Cullen.

Last season’s Pittsburgh championship in a large way was unexpected. The Penguins got off to a terrible start, one that cost Mike Johnston his job in December.

“I still remember the day Wyatt, my middle guy, had a tear running down his face the first time we fell out of the playoffs somewhere around the middle of the season,” Cullen said. “He’s like … ‘We’re not going to make the playoffs.’”

“I’m like, ‘Wyatt, It’s December,’” Cullen said, snickering hard. “But I can still remember it clearly and then to turn it all around and go through everything that we went through, it was just such an amazing experience. Going though it with the boys, it was like unwrapping presents every morning on Christmas. Every day was just awesome.”

This season, the Penguins picked up right where they left off.

“And my boys, they have just fallen in love with it,” Cullen said. “I love the game more than just about anyone. It’s been so good to me and I love every part of it. For me to see them getting to go through these experiences and falling in love with the game the way that I have, it just warms my heart.”

But, Cullen says, it may be about that time to hang up his skates.

“I’m aware of the fact that I’m 40 years old,” Cullen said. “Time’s ticking. It’s weird. I don’t feel like an old player. The game keeps you feeling young. But I look around, and I understand I’m a lot older than everybody else.”

Cullen, however, says his approach will be the same as last summer. He owes it to himself to take some time after the season and contemplate returning for a 20th season or retiring.

“I know enough just to give myself time,” Cullen said. “It’s a decision that deserves a little time. It carries a lot of weight, for me at least. I’ll get away from it, and then decide.”

Thinking ahead

Bridget Cullen, Matt’s wife of 13 years and together since they were 17 years old, thinks she knows which way her husband’s leaning.

Their three boys — Brooks is 10, Wyatt is 8, Joey is 7 — have been home-schooled at the Penguins’ practice facility the past two years. At some point, the Cullens want their kids back in school in Minnesota.

And, other than the sisters of both Matt and Bridget who live in the Twin Cities, their entire family lives in Moorhead, where they each went to high school.

“I’m personally homesick, and I think he wants to be home with us,” Bridget said. “But if he still wants to play, I’m behind him. Every August, he tells me he feels amazing, so I don’t trust it. I’ll wait til August to see how he feels, and I’ll stand by whatever he wants to do.”

“That’s what I love about Bridge,” Matt says. “She doesn’t want to make the decision for me.”

Cullen left the Wild in 2013 and played two seasons in Nashville before joining the Penguins in 2015. He also played for Anaheim, Florida, Carolina, the New York Rangers and Ottawa and has 248 goals and 441 assists in regular season games, and another 56 points in 122 playoff games.

This late in one’s career — he has played the most games of any player from the 1996 draft when he was selected 35th overall by Anaheim — it’s usually the offseason training commitment that a player dreads.

For Cullen, however, he loves that part because he gets to work out and skate with brothers, Mark and Joe. For Cullen, it’s the grind of another 82-game season that he wonders if he can keep enduring.

“The season is long,” he says. “It’s 82 games with the travel. Not to make more out of the travel than it is, but it’s hard to leave and miss [my boys’] hockey games and hockey practices. I know a lot of people travel for work, but at this point, I just don’t like being gone. That’s a hard deal.”

Tough crowd

When Cullen won his first Cup with Carolina in 2006, Bridget was pregnant with their first son. What was so special about last season is the Cullens’ now-three kids got to live through the run, understand it and cherish it. They’re loving it again this postseason, although Bridget says they’re stressed out of their minds and still cry when the Penguins lose.

And, frankly, they’re a riot.

“In Ottawa [during the Eastern Conference Final], a puck popped out right in front of the net and I took a slapshot from the hash marks and I ended up pulling it and missing the net,” Cullen said, laughing. “I got home, walk in the door, and this is like a perfect summary of my three boys right here.

“Wyatt, the middle one, comes up to me before even saying hi and goes, ‘Dad, how did you miss that chance? High blocker was open, high glove was open plus you could have gone five hole. How did you miss that?’ Honestly, he wanted to know what I was thinking.

“Brooksy, the oldest one, comes up, and goes, ‘Hey Dad, you know what? You played great, you played so good, you worked so hard out there. Good job, I thought you did great.’”

Cullen, with a huge laugh, continued, “And then the little guy — that little fireball! — cruises by and goes, ‘Dad, you stink!” It was a snapshot of my three boys’ personalities and where they’re at in their development.”

Cullen has been hit from behind twice in this series. Bridget admits she teared up when Matt was slow to get up after the first one.

She thought to herself, “it’s time,” and told Matt, “Maybe it’s OK to be done. We have our whole life ahead of us. At some point, we have to get back home. Just physically, it’s such a grind.”

If Cullen gets to go out on top, Bridget said, “That would be like the ultimate. We just can’t think about it and get ahead of ourselves. I’m just so proud of him. I’m just proud of the person he is. I can’t believe he’s still doing this for a living. He amazes me every day.”
Post #: 3107
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/10/2017 7:22:04 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeah but that also means Kessel gets another one too
Post #: 3108
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/10/2017 11:52:19 AM   
stfrank

I'm not sure what to think about Kessel. He comes off as a me first premadonna, yet you read how teammates like him and say he just has a real quirky personality.
Post #: 3109
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/10/2017 2:26:12 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeah, i'm totally biased about him. I didn't even like him as a Gopher. He has always rubbed me the wrong way. Pretty petty on my part.
Post #: 3110
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/11/2017 9:59:28 PM   
joejitsu

wow. That was a fun game and a good series. The Pens are a very good team, and Nashville didn't quit.
Post #: 3111
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/11/2017 10:00:08 PM   
Sandman

Nashville got screwed. NHL is rigged.
Post #: 3112
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/11/2017 10:04:59 PM   
joejitsu

Geez. With Letang back, they'll be even better next year.
Post #: 3113
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/11/2017 11:54:45 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sandman

Yep, didn't see it, but was listening driving home from Missoula.

Sounds to me like a Tainted Cup this year for the Pens.

Happy however, for Cullen and Guentzel.

Didn't much care for Nashville fans; way too many goalie chants ending in "you suck!" to feel like they have much class in general. Just being loud, loaded and noxious doesn't make you great, imo.

I did like the Preds team tho. Hell of a battle.
Post #: 3114
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/12/2017 6:43:28 AM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sandman

This crew of refs made it look that way didn't they.....
Besides the no goal call, I noticed several Pen's dump in's where the ref got in the path of the Preds defensemen making them go around the ref to retrieve the puck. Helped the Pens on the forecheck more than once that way......
Forever doomed to be a regional sport with crap like that.
Canada's game.....LOL.
Post #: 3115
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/12/2017 5:42:46 PM   
SoMnFan

Matt Cullen
MIP
In the entire friggin league, for the past five years.
Gets zero credit
WHO was on the ice for the entire final 2-3 minutes of every big Pens game?
More than Cindy.
Cullen is 40
And still the all-around BPotFI at all times.
And our friggin org said he was washed up.
TWO Cup runs ago.

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 6/12/2017 5:47:06 PM >
Post #: 3116
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/12/2017 5:44:23 PM   
SoMnFan

IF Rinne plays at his previous level, Preds win the Cup.
It comes down to how your tender is playing, and when.
Post #: 3117
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/12/2017 5:45:51 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

IF Rinne plays at his previous level, Preds win the Cup.
It comes down to how your tender is playing, and when.

Post #: 3118
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/12/2017 6:00:25 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeah, kinda weird how he melted down in Pittsburgh.
Post #: 3119
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/12/2017 7:06:07 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Yeah, kinda weird how he melted down in Pittsburgh.

That back breaker last night, was vintage Doooooooooooooooob
Battled the puck like it was a butterfly on crack
Post #: 3120
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/12/2017 8:12:51 PM   
MarkWren

What a great phrase..."a butterfly on crack". Got it immediately, too. So very apt.

Agree with the above comments on the Nashville fans. Booing throughout the postgame awards...seriously? Bunch of foul-mouthed, know-nothing sots. Can only hope & pray we never sink to that level, and win a cup before they do.

Some towns, for whatever reason, can never seem to fail. Others....
Post #: 3121
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/12/2017 9:28:51 PM   
djskillz

I was disappointed in my towns' fans after the game, but I also can understand (NOT agree with it, mind you) it a little bit based on the way the officiating was, plus Crosby's stuff.

Tough couple of losses, but it was a heck of a run and such a cool thing for the city. Such an amazing atmosphere around town for the last couple of months. Were talking about it today; went to lunch and EVERYONE around us was talking hockey. Such a weird, but cool thing.

There's always next year...

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 3122
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/13/2017 8:38:23 AM   
Jeff Jesser

That one sentence right there: based on the way the officiating was sums it up.

It just shows how little Nashville knows about the game. It's like a guy like me (not much BB knowledge outside of the obvious) getting pissed that Lebron gets an extra step or 2 in the finals. If you didn't expect Crosby and the Pens to get the majority of the calls, you ought to stick to the CMA's (or Monster Truck as has been pointed out ).
Post #: 3123
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/13/2017 8:49:23 AM   
djskillz

Oh, I get it Jeff, and expected it. Even though I'm a hockey novice myself. But it's still understandable for people to be upset about it.

Even if I totally don't agree with the lack of respect shown.

Post #: 3124
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/15/2017 2:51:29 PM   
TJSweens

Phil Housely tapped to be the head coach of the the Sabres. Congratulations dude! Good man. Good coach.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3125
Page:   <<   < prev  123 124 [125] 126 127   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: General NHL Talk Page: <<   < prev  123 124 [125] 126 127   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode