From: Washington DC area
The problem with this team is, and has always been, the core. Since it's inception the team has always had a mediocre, at best, core set of guys. Instead of fixing the broken core they have always tried to put guys around it to mask their deficiencies.
1. Couldn't score outside of Gaborik - draft playmakers that didn't pan out
2. Didn't have a valid goalie - get Manny and Roli and that didn't pan out
3. Ran in to a team that beat the shit out of us - sign Simon
4. Can't get past the Hawks because they are too fast and skilled - bring in a bunch of smurfs and that didn't pan out
5. Goalie sucks again - try to hope that the lightning strike wasn't a fluke - sign Dubnyk to years of money down the drain
6. The newly formed smurf team doesn't get the Hawks this time but a much bigger/stronger team - get rid of the smurfs and bring in bigger role players.....
It just never ends. Look, I love the fact that CF would try things but, to me at least, he never had an actual plan. He would just throw shit against the wall to see what would stick. All the while never actually addressing the real problem. The core of the team.
You signed a bad offensive player, in 9, to a big contract a couple times because he was dependable defensively and could win a FO once in awhile. Yippee. You singed Parise to an insane contract given his size/play style. I was geeked on July 4th that year but also knew that would bite us in the ass down the road. I just had hope it would payoff before hand. It hasn't.
The Suter contract...not as bad as he's still pulling his weight but still not a great contract given the way the game was evolving to more skilled Dmen.