Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General NHL Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: General NHL Talk Page: <<   < prev  139 140 [141] 142 143   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/4/2018 7:56:39 PM   
joejitsu

It's not over yet. It looks bad, though. Vegas needs to take the next period to slow everything down and dictate the tempo. The line matchups are not in their favor because they are playing in d.c.., so they have to control the tempo, get their offense organized, and get the next goal.
Post #: 3501
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/4/2018 7:57:18 PM   
stfrank

How many times have we seen the Wild start out on fire like Vegas did, but not score and then end up losing?
We have seen this before and if it plays out like it usually does with the Wild this game is over. Maybe Vegas saved some juice to get back in this one....time will tell.
Post #: 3502
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/4/2018 8:23:07 PM   
stfrank

Vegas needs to score on this PP.
Post #: 3503
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/4/2018 8:31:09 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

Vegas needs to score on this PP.

Again, they need to score, not hit the post!
Post #: 3504
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/4/2018 8:45:51 PM   
stfrank

And there is your dagger....
4-0 should pretty much end this one unless the Caps go into complete prevent mode.
Post #: 3505
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/5/2018 8:42:53 AM   
Jeff Jesser

It's all about Mo. Caps have it and Vegas doesn't anymore. You guys are right that the hitting is getting to Vegas. It's what I thought teams like Winnipeg would do but they couldn't catch them. The Caps are.
Post #: 3506
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/5/2018 12:29:11 PM   
SoMnFan

The shine came off vegas last night
That's as bad as you can finish a game off
It was like they were pissed the Caps kept playing.
I've loved the Vegas run but that was an embarrassing last 5 minutes. Babies.
Love the action in here, love hearing new takes on the game.
Great stuff DL, st frank, jeff, and all the usuals.
This has been an awesome season for the league.
I'm so happy a couple of these Caps will finally get some recognition for great careers.
Ovie isn't always soft and cuddly, but the guy loves the game, and he deserves some payback.
He's damn-near carried the league at times.
Post #: 3507
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/5/2018 1:18:15 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

If only they had Jonas Brodin to show them how to be stoic about losing in the playoffs.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3508
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/5/2018 5:09:27 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

If only they had Jonas Brodin to show them how to be stoic about losing in the playoffs.

Post #: 3509
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/8/2018 1:42:15 PM   
MDK

I know that as a former UND player, people here might not be a fan of TJ Oshie but this is a pretty good story about what winning a Cup means to him.

http://www.startribune.com/grab-a-tissue-and-watch-t-j-oshie-s-emotional-stanley-cup-interview/484926721/

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 3510
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/8/2018 2:03:31 PM   
kevinemmer

I'm a HUGE fan of Oshie's.

On and off the ice, kid is fantastic.

Just as happy for him as Ovie.
Post #: 3511
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/12/2018 3:38:08 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

10-4 so far on series picks

I better choose for this one.

Can't quit on the Caps quite yet.
Think they get er done finally.

11-4
I takey

Really enjoying everything about the Caps win.
This is how important that Cup is to real hockey players
They are willing to die for it, and when they finally win it, it's an unreal event for them, for a long time.
We need more players who get that.
As some on here have always said ... if you want players who will die for a Cup, you better have quite a few Canadiens and some Russians.
Post #: 3512
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/12/2018 5:22:24 PM   
Jeff Jesser

More??

I'd start with "a" player.
Post #: 3513
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/13/2018 2:38:00 PM   
SoMnFan

Cullen was and Staal is, but both of them had given that ALL for someone else.
Post #: 3514
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/13/2018 2:59:29 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeah, good point. I was more thinking about our home grown boys.
Post #: 3515
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/19/2018 1:55:02 PM   
SoMnFan

Odd times in Washington
Weird to walk away after that kind of success.
He's a helluva family man, probably needs a break
Or, pissed off too much to return
He was treated like "win it all or you're done here" last year and did not like it.
Helluva coach, imo.
Post #: 3516
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/19/2018 4:38:12 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Odd times in Washington
He was treated like "win it all or you're done here" last year and did not like it.
Helluva coach, imo.

Sounds like he may have been hosed by the organization:

...That left Trotz to coach this season on the final year of the four-year contract he signed May 26, 2014.

When Trotz signed the four-year contract, the sides agreed on a clause that if Washington won the Stanley Cup at any point during the term of the contract, an additional two years, with increased salary, would be added and would take effect after they won the Cup.

"Our discussions with his representative centered around that (clause) and what he was looking to accomplish through negotiations," MacLellan said. "So we had several discussions on what they were looking for and about the existing contract, and we weren't able to come to an agreement."

Trotz and MacLellan met last Wednesday, one day after the championship parade in Washington, to begin talking about Trotz's future with the Capitals. At the time, Trotz sounded optimistic he would be back.

"I've got an opportunity here with [MacLellan] and with the Capitals," the 55-year-old said. "I started here, won the Cup here. We've got lots of good things going. So we'll work through it. We'll work through what we need to do. If that's what they want, then something will get done. If not, we'll deal with that."

As it turned out, Trotz and the Capitals could not work through their issues, so he resigned. The Capitals accepted Trotz's resignation, and MacLelllan said he is free to work elsewhere.

"We came to an agreement that it wasn't going to work," MacLellan said. "We don't want to hold him back from coaching."
Post #: 3517
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/19/2018 6:58:42 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Odd times in Washington
Helluva coach, imo.

Sounds like he may have been hosed by the organization:

...That left Trotz to coach this season on the final year of the four-year contract he signed May 26, 2014.

When Trotz signed the four-year contract, the sides agreed on a clause that if Washington won the Stanley Cup at any point during the term of the contract, an additional two years, with increased salary, would be added and would take effect after they won the Cup.

"Our discussions with his representative centered around that (clause) and what he was looking to accomplish through negotiations," MacLellan said. "So we had several discussions on what they were looking for and about the existing contract, and we weren't able to come to an agreement."

Trotz and MacLellan met last Wednesday, one day after the championship parade in Washington, to begin talking about Trotz's future with the Capitals. At the time, Trotz sounded optimistic he would be back.

"I've got an opportunity here with [MacLellan] and with the Capitals," the 55-year-old said. "I started here, won the Cup here. We've got lots of good things going. So we'll work through it. We'll work through what we need to do. If that's what they want, then something will get done. If not, we'll deal with that."

As it turned out, Trotz and the Capitals could not work through their issues, so he resigned. The Capitals accepted Trotz's resignation, and MacLelllan said he is free to work elsewhere.

"We came to an agreement that it wasn't going to work," MacLellan said. "We don't want to hold him back from coaching."

Is Dan Snyder a secret partner there?
Post #: 3518
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/20/2018 10:06:45 AM   
SoMnFan

Good stuff, both of you
Crazy treatment of a good dude, who JUST WON YOU A CUP

Trotz is a helluva human from most accounts
Has a special needs son who is everything in his life
People that dedicated to others learn to not take a lot of shit in life
They forge ahead and don't look back.
Post #: 3519
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/20/2018 10:40:36 AM   
David Levine

quote:

Good stuff, both of you
Crazy treatment of a good dude, who JUST WON YOU A CUP

Trotz is a helluva human from most accounts
Has a special needs son who is everything in his life
People that dedicated to others learn to not take a lot of shit in life
They forge ahead and don't look back.

When I first saw your post about him walking away, I assumed he was maybe in his mid-late 60s and just wanted to go out on top.

Kind of shocked to find out A) he's only 55 and B) how the organization treated him.

Obviously, "B" changes if we later find out he was asking for the moon, or something so far beyond what their agreement was. But at the moment, it seems like a really low class move by the Caps.
Post #: 3520
RE: General NHL Talk - 7/4/2018 9:12:30 AM   
SoMnFan

FA so far

Hertl and Thornton re-sign with Sharks. One last kick at the can for this group the way it looks. Still impressed by them when they are on. Scary big fast tough team.

Neal goes to Flames. This one pissed me off. That's the kind of forward we need, imo. He's Zucker, Coyle, Nino, with the IT factor they are missing. Nasty streak. I hate him but would love him on our team.

O'Reilly to the Blues for Thompson, Berglund, and Sobotka. Blues will brag this opne up, but I'm glad they did it. We need to remember they were the SHIT for most of the year. Our biggest roadblock it looked like. I'm glad they are kind of blowing it up. Anytime you move three regulars at one time, you are saying something was wrong. Good news for us.

Tavares to Leafs. This is the biggest move so far imo. Leafs took the proverbial step back last year after finally becoming relevant the year before. Most were ready to anoint them and the Oilers as the next big things. Not so much. Yet. This could gel this team into a beast. He's a player. Glad they are in the East.

Hendricks and Fehr will give us some depth up front, Patteryn will add some muscle. All decent gets. Fehr flourished with Boudreau once before, and Hendricks will love being back home. Patteryn is what we need, and is a pretty proven commodity. Lets hope these are three guys who NEED a Cup worse than the three they will replace on the roster.

Cullen goes back to the Pens. Whats that old saying .. you don't know what you've got til he's gone? I don't think people realize how close the Pens were to winning another Cup last year. Amazingly. And I specifically remember seeing spots in their biggest losses where you could see their need for Cullen. He was a much bigger piece to them than he was anywhere else. They trusted him and used him perfectly. This guy will go down as one of the top Minnesotans, ever, to play the game at the highest level. For the longest time. He's an icon we should all respect.

Brodziak heads to Edmonton. Once again, good to see the Blues breaking up their core. He wasn't huge there, but they liked him. I'm afraid we might see a Oil rebound this year, Brodziak could help them in the right role, which will hurt. Any time he helps his current team, it hurts.

Grabner and Hjalmarsson will help the Yotes. Problem is, they need lots of help. However, one team always overachieves, and something I saw in them late last year made them look like they could make a wave or two. I know they gave us fits, much more than they should have.

McDonagh reupping in Tampa means they will keep the band together, and that means they will once again be a favorite to win it all. Solid roster, and never afraid to spend money.

Ward and Kunitz to the Hawks kind of scares me. Solid vet presence, and this will probably be a we're-pissed-off-and-back-in-your-face year for them. Been waiting for Crawford to finally get old, and now they have taken care of that scenario when it happens. Kunitz is the ultimate winner, never hurts any team he is on. Bad news for us.

Bozak and Perron will make the Blues think they are capable again. They seem fragile, but they've proven when they are on their game, they can beat anyone. Would really really hate to see them become a power. Tarasenko makes them capable of taking the next step, imo. And that sucks.

Jack Johnson to the Pens is highly underrated imo. Their lack of depth was the only reason they didn't raise another Cup. He brings it all, size, talent, and attitude. Scary move to make a power more powerful imo.

Statsny to the KNights just adds fuel to a rocket engine there.

The Canucks have always been one of my least-favorite teams. Signing Roussel just cemented that tenfold. How that ying-yang hasn't been killed yet is beyond me. Him and Marchand should have a kid, he'd be the Chuck Norris of anti-christs. Hope you rot in hell there, Frenchy.

Vanek goes back to the Red Wings. Guy can still play. And he took Way too much shit during his time here. Pisses me off that he was made out to be the whipping boy here. Hope he hoists a Cup somewhere, Could see him hooking up with a team late in the year and putting them over the top. Would love to see that.

VanRiemsdyk to the Phlyers makes them better. Still shocked at how good they became by the end of the year. Seeing Hakstol have some success kills me a little, but I respect his stick-to-it-iveness. He's always had that. And lasting thru that start there last year is impressive.

Doughty and Carlson staying with their teams is huge. Keeps them both legit. Kovalchuk to the Kings coud be fun along side Kopitar (who seemed to really be embracing the superstar role finally out there).
Post #: 3521
RE: General NHL Talk - 7/13/2018 7:09:05 PM   
joejitsu

FINALLY! The Hawks dumped some salary and got themselves free from money hell for the time being. And, they got Kruger back to man the fifth d spot. Better than nothing.
Post #: 3522
RE: General NHL Talk - 7/18/2018 2:14:01 PM   
SoMnFan

I shoulda just waited ..... and saved some typing

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/24119636/nhl-stacking-how-all-31-teams-improved-free-agency

CURIOUSLY QUIET

Minnesota Wild

New GM Paul Fenton rolls into town and ... signs a pretty good depth defenseman (Greg Pateryn), a goalie with seven NHL games in the last two seasons (Andrew Hammond) and two Bruce Boudreau foot soldiers (Eric Fehr and Matt Hendricks). Despite chatter that some franchise favorites could be on the block, nothing's gone down yet.
Post #: 3523
RE: General NHL Talk - 8/1/2018 9:01:43 PM   
joejitsu

It's starting to sound like Crawford will not be ready to go by the start of the season. I heard that it was a concussion, but there has never been an actual listed reason of the injury. What's the big secret?
Post #: 3524
RE: General NHL Talk - 8/2/2018 7:49:31 AM   
SoMnFan

I'm a huge Kevin Weekes believer joe
You've probably seen his reaction when asked about Crawford last week
As you say, something going on there.
Seems to be the long drawn out concussion issues so many have faced, but you never know how much we are told.
I did find it interesting that Weekes said exactly what I've been saying, and have been scoffed at, for years .... "the Hawks go, as Crawford goes"
Even in their best days, even if you did get chances against them, he was always there to stabilize their ship.
He's always provided goaltending that we have never seen here. Not flashy, not loud, not some stupid DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBY stuff, just great backstopping for a great team.
Post #: 3525
Page:   <<   < prev  139 140 [141] 142 143   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: General NHL Talk Page: <<   < prev  139 140 [141] 142 143   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode