Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General NHL Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: General NHL Talk Page: <<   < prev  173 174 [175] 176 177   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General NHL Talk - 7/30/2021 12:47:33 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

The hits just keep on coming for the Hawks. Seth Jones was a panic move by bowman. Drafting the brothers of teammates just seems silly. And rebuilding by trading away draft picks and signing your new toy to a massive contract makes no sense whatsoever. And now, we sign MAF from Vegas, who is talking about retiring. All of this plus the sexual assault coverup makes me wonder why stan hasn't been dropped like a bad habit already! He HAS to go.

What's your take on non-tendering Pius Suter? Rookie year at age 24, he scores 14G/13A.

He’s pure offense. He scored a hat trick against the bolts, which is no easy feat. I have no idea why they didn’t lock him up, but Stevie Y saw enough in him to sign him up. The Hawks are a huge source in frustration in my life right now.

It looks to me like they are trying to load up for one more kick at the can with Kane and Toews.

It's possible, but Kane is a year older and Toews looked like he was slowing down before he took a season off. For the life of me I can't figure out what the plan is, for this season or for the future.
Post #: 4351
RE: General NHL Talk - 8/23/2021 3:31:56 PM   
twinsfan

RIP Jimmy Hayes, 31, former NCAA champion.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 4352
RE: General NHL Talk - 10/19/2021 11:56:29 AM   
TJSweens

Just as the NHL clears dumbass Evander Kane of the assault accusations from his estranged wife, he gets caught with a fake vaccination card and is suspended for 21 games. His forfeited salary will of to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

They should have suspended his ass for at least half a year.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 4353
RE: General NHL Talk - 10/19/2021 1:36:09 PM   
Lynn G.

Total jerk.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 4354
RE: General NHL Talk - 10/21/2021 7:52:28 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Total jerk.

Yep. He can't do wrong right.
Post #: 4355
RE: General NHL Talk - 10/21/2021 7:54:12 PM   
joejitsu

My Hawks look terrible so far this season. I think they should do Kane and Toews a favor and trade them to a contender.
Post #: 4356
RE: General NHL Talk - 10/26/2021 2:12:16 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

My Hawks look terrible so far this season. I think they should do Kane and Toews a favor and trade them to a contender.

Sounds like your Hawks are embroiled in a really ugly scandal.

Ew

https://abc7chicago.com/stan-bowman-out-chicago-blackhawks-sex-assault/11170002/

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 4357
RE: General NHL Talk - 10/26/2021 5:47:05 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Ew

https://abc7chicago.com/stan-bowman-out-chicago-blackhawks-sex-assault/11170002/

It's very bad, no doubt. They cleaned house at the top, but it doesn't feel like that's enough. Someone gave the predator a reference to get a job at a high school, I think. That's how heavy this story is. It goes deeper than a few guys at the top 10 years ago.
Post #: 4358
RE: General NHL Talk - 10/27/2021 10:18:53 AM   
stfrank

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Ew

It's very bad, no doubt. They cleaned house at the top, but it doesn't feel like that's enough. Someone gave the predator a reference to get a job at a high school, I think. That's how heavy this story is. It goes deeper than a few guys at the top 10 years ago.

And all Bettman and the NHL think about it is a $2 million fine!
In my opinion your team should pay a much larger penalty for their disgusting behavior.
Maybe some lost draft picks to go along with the dinky little fine.....
Post #: 4359
RE: General NHL Talk - 11/4/2021 8:43:08 AM   
stfrank

From the Athletic:
Eichel to Vegas.
A snippet from the article:

When a major injury dispute joined the losing, there was no doubt Eichel and the Sabres would never get through the last five years of their eight-year contract — a deal worth $10 million per season. After months of ceaseless rumors and conversations that got uglier and uglier, the breakup became official when general manager Kevyn Adams sent Eichel and a 2023 third-round pick to the Golden Knights in exchange for forwards Peyton Krebs and Alex Tuch, a first-round pick in 2022 and a third-round selection in 2023, according to multiple reports.
Post #: 4360
RE: General NHL Talk - 11/4/2021 2:34:42 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Tuch must be a shit head. He's way too talented to be on the end of these deals.
Post #: 4361
RE: General NHL Talk - 11/4/2021 5:21:11 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Tuch must be a shit head. He's way too talented to be on the end of these deals.

Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that myself. Two teams were willing to let him go even though he has the talent to be a very good player.
Maybe he wanted to get back East since he hails from upper NY area.
Post #: 4362
RE: General NHL Talk - 11/6/2021 6:12:11 PM   
joejitsu

Well, Colliton just got fired. That was expected, but it isn't enough to make up for the disaster that is going on on the west side. Players like Kane and Toews who knew what was going on need to go and give the Hawks a new start. I don't even like to watch the games anymore.
Post #: 4363
RE: General NHL Talk - 12/6/2021 6:18:36 PM   
stfrank

From the Athletic:
For those of you who have watched Blake since his days at Breck and the Gophers like I have......

Blake Wheeler’s 1,000th game puts the spotlight on the people who make him what he is

Sam and Blake Wheeler met at the skating rink as children — Sam the figure skater, Blake the supportive little brother to his big sister Brooke.

They did not know then what we know now — that Sam would become the central figure in Blake’s life — but the world can be small when love is involved. Sam and Blake’s love story, accepted innocently through the eyes of kids, starts young.

It becomes romantic in high school, flourishes in college and continues through 1,000 games and counting of NHL success.

On the night that Blake plays his 1,000th regular season game, Sam and their three children — Louie, Leni and Mase — stand with him on the (blue) carpet. As their names are announced, the arena’s video board shows Blake give in to the emotion of the evening; his face transforms from a failed attempt at stoicism to an expression of love. His eyes read somewhere between those of a husband seeing his wife on their wedding day and a father, proud to be feted with his children under his wing. He hugs Louie, Mase and Leni, before kissing Sam and posing for the inevitable photographs. It is an intimate moment, spotlit for 15,000 fans.

Cameras flash and then give the Wheelers a reprieve. A video tribute will be shown on the big screen in just a few seconds but, for one moment, no one knows where to look.

I remember what Blake said about Sam in the lead-up to this moment.

“Obviously, my parents were a big part of my youth hockey and growing up and the way up,” Blake had said. “But to share it will Sam and our three kids … Sam, she’s the only one that sees the day in and day out, the highs, the lows. She’s been there for me through it all. Having her there, that one means the most to me. Nobody knows what 1,000 good days and bad days or in between has looked like more than her. She’s the one I’m looking forward to sharing that with.”

To talk to anyone close to Blake — his parents Pat and Jim, his sister Brooke, his college roommate Ryan Stoa, his current and former teammates like Paul Stastny and Andrew Ladd — is to be told the Sam is at the core of him. She is the one who remembers the birthdays, who demonstrates consistent thoughtfulness, who does the heavy lifting in the parenting of their three kids.

Blake goes so far because Sam helps him get there.

“Sam’s been right there with him for the whole ride,” says Blake’s dad, Jim.

“We’re in awe of the accomplishment,” says Blake’s mom, Pat. “But the other thing about it is the partnership of Blake and Sam, because Sam’s been with him the entire journey — before the journey started. We’re in awe of the partnership.”

Blake’s sister Brooke, who skated with Sam way back when they were in elementary school, adds a loving joke.

“If only you knew then,” she likes to tease him, “That back when you were a kid, watching your sister figure skate, that your future wife was there.”

Blake’s on-ice accomplishments have put so many spotlights on him over the course of his life.

Before he had played 1,000 NHL games, he was a hockey star for Breck High School and one of the most renowned youth players in Minnesota. Sam went to Breck High School, too — it’s where they reconnected and became high-school sweethearts. When Blake scored one of the most famous goals in college hockey history, Sam was at the University of Minnesota too — it’s where she earned her International Relations degree with minors in Mandarin and Marketing.

The years go on and Blake’s accomplishments reach greater heights.

He inherits the Jets captaincy. He becomes one of the most dominant five-on-five players of his generation, scoring the fourth-most even strength points in the NHL from his Winnipeg debut in 2011-12 through the end of 2016-17. In 2017-18 and 2018-19, Wheeler puts together back-to-back 91-point seasons, finally earning the leaguewide acclaim commensurate with his even strength excellence.

Meanwhile, Sam develops her fluency in Mandarin. She becomes a board member of the True North Youth Foundation. She works with multiple Winnipeg charities, including the “Ride Inside” fundraiser for Cancer Care Manitoba she participates in with Blake. She continues to do the heavy lifting with Louie, Leni and Mase.

Ladd puts Sam’s importance this way.

“My wife (Brandy) and Sam were close, especially when we were in Winnipeg. From the outside, people tend to miss how hard that life can be on a wife and three kids. I’m sure the last year, with all the COVID stuff and time spent in bubbles and all of that, someone’s at home keeping things on track and keeping the kids engaged with school and sports. And, as your kids get older, that becomes a tougher job. So I know Sam is the rock from that standpoint,” he said.

Then the spotlight grows fickle.

When the Jets are playing well, Blake receives accolades. He is named a finalist for the Mark Messier Leadership Award when Winnipeg makes the 2018 Western Conference finals.

In 2019, when Winnipeg fails to meet expectations, losing to St. Louis in six games, he leans on Sam for help.

He can’t figure out exactly what went wrong. Was it him? What if he were holding the team back?

The two of them flew to Florida after those playoffs ended, where Sam became Blake’s rock. He put every difficult question about Winnipeg’s season on the table and the two of them talked it through.

“Ultimately, I talk to my wife about everything,” Blake told The Athletic in 2019. “She’s not going to have an answer to these types of things but sometimes, when you say things out loud it either sounds better or worse, you know what I’m saying? Just talking about it out loud is sometimes helpful. She’ll look at me like, ‘Really?’ And it’s kind of like, ‘Yeah, I know. That was stupid.’ With some of these things, there are moments where she’s like, ‘Well, yeah, but do you think that makes you a better player? Yes or no. Does that make your team better? Does that make your line better?’ So she’s really good at, not necessarily understanding the context or the sport but she’s able to follow up with insightful questions … Through all of it, that’s who I go to.”

Somewhere along their many journeys together, the Wheelers fall in love again — this time, with a city.

Blake believes Winnipeg is where he’s been allowed to be himself. He says he doesn’t have to fit himself into a mold that other people have forced on him.

Imagine being 6-foot-5 and built like he is. An awful lot of people would demand that you play hockey like a power forward. Hit more. Fight more. Play the game with brawn instead of brains. But Winnipeg gives Wheeler the space to use his body in other ways — to protect the puck, shielding off defenders to make plays that sometimes only Wheeler can see develop.

“It’s the first place that let me be me,” Wheeler says. “Everywhere that I went before this was trying to make me into something that I’m not … I think the people here embraced the way that I play. I try to play hard for our fans every night and it’s why I’ve committed my career here. This is where I want to be and this is where I want to win. I think it’s a relationship that has allowed me to flourish and it’s been over 11 years now, it’s been an honour to play in front of these people every night.”

I’ve heard Wheeler talk about the freedom to be himself and what that means to himself before.

I think I understand that he’s talking about more than his play on the ice.

So, I ask him about Sam.

Can he put into words the sacrifices and strength she has given him to help him be his best self?

“Oh, you’re going to make me cry,” Wheeler says the day before Game 1,000. “I can’t, no. Being a pro athlete, it’s a glamorous job when it’s good and it’s not so when it’s not so good. That’s when you have people that you care about that care about you. She’s been my support system for the last 14 years. We’ve had a lot of … We’ve celebrated a lot of highs and when it’s as bad as it gets, I mean that’s when you need her. That’s when she’s been there for me. I’ll never be able to pay that back.

“She sacrificed what she wanted to do with her life to follow me and to take care of our kids and support me. So no, I can’t really put into words what she means to me but I try to show her. I try to let her know but … Yeah. Tomorrow will be a good day to try to remind her.”

The game itself is a barn-burner that the Jets win 6-3.

Wheeler sets up Winnipeg’s first goal — a Pierre-Luc Dubois power play tally — after Kyle Connor does some nice work to pull the puck off the left wing boards.

Wheeler skates well throughout the evening, consistently making line changes before Connor and their centre, Mark Scheifele. He wins some 50/50 battles on the boards and loses more than he did a couple of hundred games ago. At five-on-five, his line gets doubled up in shots, mostly at the hands of William Nylander and John Tavares.

Connor rips a wrist shot to make it 4-1 Jets 7:38 into the second period, giving Wheeler his second assist of the night — the 540th of his career.

Wheeler gets a breakaway in the same period that Maple Leafs goaltender Joseph Woll stops, leaving Wheeler inexplicably goal-less with 12 assists in 19 games this season.

He takes a bad penalty, slapping the puck at the boards in disgust when it’s called; Toronto scores. Wheeler gets a point-blank chance in the third period; Woll makes the save on his deflection.

If it were not Wheeler’s milestone game, the story would be about how Winnipeg’s power play finally came to life and therefore about Wheeler all the same. (It could also be about the third-period violence, starting with Dubois wrestling with Auston Matthews, continuing through Neal Pionk’s knee of Rasmus Sandin — whose reverse hit on Wheeler last April looked particularly dangerous, given Wheeler had just returned from a concussion, and into Logan Stanley’s WWE inspired exit from the game after Brenden Dillon’s fight with Kyle Clifford.)

After the game, Wheeler speaks to reporters next to the 23-year-old Dubois, who sports a sleeveless T-shirt with Wheeler’s face on it.

Pierre-Luc Dubois and Blake Wheeler (Jonathan Kozub / NHLI via Getty Images)
“So, this is a Jansen Harkins original,” Dubois explains. “We all had them and then (Harkins) cut the sleeves off and then a few guys were like, ‘You gotta wear it for the media.’ So I asked Wheels if that was OK, got his permission, and he said, ‘Honestly, I would rather you do it with it.’ So, here it is. It’s going on sale next week, sleeved options available too. No, it’s his 1,000th game, I’ll do whatever he says.”

“He just wants to show the tats off,” jokes Wheeler.

He’s in great spirits, buoyed in part by the win, in part by the levity, and in part by the fact that the spotlight is finally off of him.

“I think the best is yet to come, you know what I mean?” he says when I ask if he’s had time to reflect. “I feel that way about our group, and that’s where my focus is — just having a blast with this team. We take care of each other like you saw tonight. They took care of me and performed, and we got a hell of a win. It was a great night.”

Winnipeg’s story is inextricable from Wheeler’s — even now, even after 1,000 games, even at 35 years old. They go as he goes and they work as hard as he works, even as his career works its way toward its inevitable end.

And Blake’s story is inextricable from Sam’s.
Post #: 4364
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/1/2022 1:46:22 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Wow, this Avs/Oilers series looks like it's gonna be pretty Wild. No pun intended. That looked a lot like an All Star game
Post #: 4365
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/1/2022 5:17:40 PM   
stfrank

I didn't see the game, but I read about it in the Athletic this morning....
Sounds like the game was a defense is optional beer league kind of game. Makes for fun viewing, but whoever wins this series could be in for a real shock when it's time to play Tampa or NY Rangers and their goalies.
Post #: 4366
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/7/2022 9:33:47 AM   
stfrank

Avs get the sweep last night and now get some time off while the Rangers and Lightning beat each other up.
Unless they lay a huge egg in the finals it is looking like this is the Avs year to win it all.
Post #: 4367
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/7/2022 9:52:20 AM   
Jeff Jesser

I don't know man. The Avs haven't seen goaltending like either of those 2 can throw at them. Gonna be interesting. I'll say though, even though I thought the Avs would take that series, I thought it would go 6 or 7. A sweep???
Post #: 4368
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/7/2022 2:32:52 PM   
stfrank

You are correct about that for sure. I was surprised Smith held up as well as he did for the Oilers, but he is not near as good as Shesterkin or Vasilevskiy.
I think the Avs goal tending will end up being their downfall. If their defense doesn't limit the shots they see they will be in trouble.
Post #: 4369
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/10/2022 3:22:43 PM   
stfrank

Down 0-2 to start and now 1 win away from playing for a 3rd Cup in a row......
The Bolts are coming!
Post #: 4370
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/12/2022 7:52:06 AM   
stfrank

It's official--Lightning vs Avalanche for the Cup starting Wednesday.
I have to go for the Lightning in 6 games. Vasilevskiy is at the top of his game, and I don't see Kuemper or Francouz beating him.
Could be a fun one to watch though. High octane offense vs top end defense.
Post #: 4371
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/12/2022 9:52:16 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Yup. Should be a good one but the Bolts take it due to better goalkeeping
Post #: 4372
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/15/2022 8:32:19 PM   
Jeff Jesser

The Bolts are learning something we’ve known for a while. The Avs are FAST 😳
Post #: 4373
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/15/2022 8:59:07 PM   
Jeff Jesser

lol, and in period 2 the Avs learned another thing. Their goaltending is much worse
Post #: 4374
RE: General NHL Talk - 6/15/2022 9:03:42 PM   
stfrank

and the Lightning know how to win......
The 3rd should be a fun one.
Post #: 4375
Page:   <<   < prev  173 174 [175] 176 177   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: General NHL Talk Page: <<   < prev  173 174 [175] 176 177   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode