Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

High School Hockey

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> High School Hockey Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
High School Hockey - 3/12/2009 9:00:59 AM   
Lynn G.

It's that time of year! Who are you picking to win it all?

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1
RE: High School Hockey - 3/12/2009 9:31:03 AM   
Jim Frenette

St Cloud Cathedral and Edina

Fargo
Post #: 2
RE: High School Hockey - 3/12/2009 5:01:22 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Dandy game today between Hill-Murray and Eden Prarie.
Came out the way it should have, but H-M went down like a defending champion.
We're having some blow-outs in the first round, but it looks like the semis are going to be awesome.
I'm hoping for a SCC/LFalls final for A, and an EP/Duluth East AA final.
Nice to see Hutch come back today and beat Mahtomedhi in the consos.
Post #: 3
RE: High School Hockey - 3/12/2009 6:42:54 PM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: So.Mn.Fan

Dandy game today between Hill-Murray and Eden Prarie.
Came out the way it should have, but H-M went down like a defending champion.
We're having some blow-outs in the first round, but it looks like the semis are going to be awesome.
I'm hoping for a SCC/LFalls final for A, and an EP/Duluth East AA final.
Nice to see Hutch come back today and beat Mahtomedhi in the consos.

Good friend of mine that graduated from SCC says Schmit will play in Jouniors next year and he has committed to the U.

You might see another St Cloud school in the cities for the BB tournament. My Alma Mater Tech is undefeated and Apollo has 3 loses 2 of them to Tech. 1 is class 3 the other class 4

Fargo
Post #: 4
RE: High School Hockey - 3/12/2009 9:06:34 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Ha-uge upset in AA as Moorhead takes down mighty Edina.
And after Orville Redenbacher picked them for the 40th straight year ... what a shame.
Half of the broadcast crew gives up once Edina is out.
East and Cretin battling it out right now.
Post #: 5
RE: High School Hockey - 3/13/2009 9:29:09 AM   
Jim Frenette

Well I lost out on one of my picks

Fargo
Post #: 6
RE: High School Hockey - 3/13/2009 1:24:59 PM   
Jim Frenette

Warroad beat SCC so both my picks are out.

Fargo
Post #: 7
RE: High School Hockey - 3/13/2009 1:40:24 PM   
Lynn G.

Shoot - you'll have to make some new picks Jim.

Once Jefferson was out in the very first round, I figured I don't care one way or another who wins. I might root for Warroad just because they're such a solid hockey community. I can't root for Eden Prairie because I hate the way they have set up their high school to have a monopoly on all the talent in that area. They win more than their share of titles in all sports because of that.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 8
RE: High School Hockey - 3/13/2009 1:41:42 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I root for Warroad just because of the Christian Bro's hockey stick factory is up there.  Coolest experience as a kid I had.
Post #: 9
RE: High School Hockey - 3/13/2009 3:38:29 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

My teams are all done.
I'll be pulling for Warroad Saturday.
Can't stand privates or large metro schools.
Post #: 10
RE: High School Hockey - 3/13/2009 5:05:22 PM   
Tim Cady

Me too!

LFs played scared, I feel bad for Ben, because it what was obvious the rest wearn't ready!WW like but not as good  as Travis. sametype no vision.

Post #: 11
RE: High School Hockey - 3/13/2009 5:11:12 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Agree Tim.
Watayshek is a sweet little player, but his lack of size and strength killed him today.
Hate seeing dreams die, Bens did right on the ice. He was invisible, due to Brecks strong game.
They are a hockey factory, like many others in the Cities, and it sucks, but its reality.
Our best player coming into this season left to play at St Thomas. It has happened several times over the years to our "crappy out-state program" and it sucks.
St Cloud Cathedrals best forward left rotten Redwood Valley (their words, not mine). Think they wouldn't want him back?
LFalls has a had a glorious run, that won't be taken away from them.
Amazing that Warroad keeps DOING what we all wish we could.
Creating hockey players. BORN hockey players. 
Post #: 12
RE: High School Hockey - 3/14/2009 1:46:26 AM   
Tim Cady

Yeah, Warroad and Roseau are the exceptions to what should be the norm. Hockey is the one sport where, no physical skills can get you far if you have heart and put in the time. Outstanding players are the ones who have some physical gifts and combine them with heart.

Hate Breck and like StThomas, I think they should play AA. Recruit like a damn college, probably have a donor supplying sticks as well. Where we in poorville go, damn, there's $200 down the drain, each time a stick is broke.
Post #: 13
RE: High School Hockey - 3/14/2009 5:20:03 PM   
Lynn G.

Well Warroad didn't win it, but they at least made it to the finals.

Rooting for Moorhead to demolish Eden Prairie tonight.

< Message edited by Lynn G. -- 3/14/2009 5:24:37 PM >

Post #: 14
RE: High School Hockey - 3/15/2009 2:32:48 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Congrats Nick Leddy, named the state's Mr Hockey at the banquet today.
State Champ, Mr Hockey, on to the Gophers.
Life is good for that young man.

This is why we do what we do .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsEoy5Zwzm4

< Message edited by So.Mn.Fan -- 3/21/2009 8:29:32 PM >
Post #: 15
RE: High School Hockey - 2/11/2010 12:40:28 PM   
Todd G

Just to revive a dead thread.  My HS alma-mater absolutely stunk at hockey when I was there.  it didn't help that Detroit Lakes was in the same section a Roseau either.  This is especially concerning considering they have a hockey camp in DL.  The Russian Olympic goalie Vladislav Tretiak was a guest a couple of years ago when my nephew went (and he hit on my sister-in-law, which drove my brother absolutely up the wall ). 

We did have one guy that was an offensive lineman in football, 6'4", 270 lbs, and could skate fairly well for a dude that size.  He was fun to watch because he would absolutely crush people.  In college I met a guy that played against us from Roseau and he said that there were two highlights to those games, when Butch hit someone and when Roseau scored.

We stunk.  I hope things have changed.
Post #: 16
RE: High School Hockey - 2/11/2010 12:43:26 PM   
Jeff Jesser

When did you graduate?  My HS played at Detroit Lakes to go to the dome for HSF.  We won on a freaking cold ass day and got beat by Becker in the dome.  I think the DL's game was state Quarters.  
Post #: 17
RE: High School Hockey - 2/11/2010 12:53:16 PM   
Todd G

1983, I'm old.  Which kind of makes it more amazing that a guy that big was playing relatively well.  it was really before anyone was hitting the weights really hard.
Post #: 18
RE: High School Hockey - 2/11/2010 1:13:53 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

DL has made a resurgence this year, Todd, but have had some tough years of late.
Those of us south of DL always looked at the International Camp there as the be-all.
Both my boys went there for at least two years each, dormed it for a couple weeks, made them men.
My buddy Kori that we have talked about on the Twins thread was an instructor there for years.
We parents loved it for Zorbaz .... many a rough night was had at Zorbas, let me tell ya.
There is some Brett Hull connection to DL, isn't there? I can remember us playing there in youth tourneys and seeing Hull stuff everywhere.
Had no idea thats where you were from Todd. I bet I knew that big dude. You are the same age as my wife (from Pillager). I'm a couple years older.
When you talk about that big dude, reminds me of the sad George Pelawa story. Biggest dude ever, died before fullfilling all his promise.
Joel Otto was massive during that time as well, went on to big things in the NHL even.

< Message edited by So.Mn.Fan -- 2/11/2010 1:15:36 PM >
Post #: 19
RE: High School Hockey - 2/11/2010 1:14:41 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Jeff, were you from Delano or somewhere in there?
I've got a cool link for you if you are ... about the HS program there.
Post #: 20
RE: High School Hockey - 2/11/2010 1:33:35 PM   
Jeff Jesser

SMF, that's exactly where I'm from!
Post #: 21
RE: High School Hockey - 2/11/2010 1:35:24 PM   
Todd G

My nephew went a couple of years ago, he's a goalie in Dickenson, ND.

Zorbaz was a second home.  I used to work at the Port Authority as a bouncer back in the '80s when summers were big there.  Zorbaz was THE place in the summer though.  We'd let their employees in without paying cover (we had bands) and they would give us free beer.  What a deal.  After that my brothers buddies worked there, and they'd give us free beer.  I love free beer. 

No idea on the Brett Hull thing.

Butch Indereden (sp?) was the guy.  He beat the hell out of me in football between 7th grade and 12th.  I was pretty good sized too, so I got to play against him in practice every d***** day.  But a really good guy actually.  All that skating gave him massive legs.  He wasn't fast on the ice by any means, but he'd catch a guy not looking and OUCH!  I think he got a scholorship to play for the Gophers, but he couldn't cut it academically (not the brightest bulb).  He ended up playing in ND somewhere.  He died several years back in a construction accident.  That's the way it goes.

I remember George too.  That was sad.
Post #: 22
RE: High School Hockey - 2/11/2010 1:40:53 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

http://mnhockeyhub.com/

This is a super HS site ...
The Delano story is pretty cool, you'll probably know a guy or two ... its about wearing throwbacks they found in a storage shed.
Post #: 23
RE: High School Hockey - 2/11/2010 2:30:47 PM   
Jeff Jesser

That's pretty cool man.  Although it sucks that our practice jersey's are now "throwbacks" .  Damn, I'm getting old.

What also sucks is in my day, we were just Delano.  Rockford was scum of the earth .  I know the year after I left they were going to merge but I thought they were going to be called the Crow River something's.....or something.  Glad they stuck with the Tiger.  That was all Delano. 

What's also cool is they reference our arena.  My whole life we had to play in Buffalo's arena.  All we had was an outdoor facility.  They finally started building that place my junior year.  The budget was so small we had to help (put up the boards, paint...a lot of little stuff).   Those were good days.  We were so proud when that thing finally opened for our senior year. 
Post #: 24
RE: High School Hockey - 2/11/2010 2:32:17 PM   
Jeff Jesser

They actually replaced our gameday jersey's my sophmore year I think.  Our home "whites" before that were a freaking disgrace.  They had been worn for probably 20 years straight.  They were more off-yellow than white.  It was so gross 
Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> High School Hockey Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode