Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: High School Hockey

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: High School Hockey Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: High School Hockey - 3/10/2010 3:00:00 PM   
Lynn G.

The High School hockey tournament is here again! Any thoughts?

I decided today that I'm cheering for Minnetonka because a friend of mine's grandson is the back-up goalie (#1 Glockner). It seems as good a reason as any, even though he may not get any playing time.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 26
RE: High School Hockey - 3/10/2010 3:00:53 PM   
Lynn G.

Besides - I guess it was Minnetonka that knocked Eden Prairie out of the tournament, which makes them my instant favorite.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 27
RE: High School Hockey - 3/10/2010 3:22:20 PM   
kevinemmer

That's my HS alma mater Lynn (except I didn't pay attention to hockey then and don't even remember seeing anything about hockey in that school, but I wasn't on campus very much ).

(Minnetonka, that is)

< Message edited by kevinemmer -- 3/10/2010 3:42:48 PM >
Post #: 28
RE: High School Hockey - 3/10/2010 3:26:34 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Mahtomedi looked tough in the first A game.
Can see why they keep getting thru St Thomas lately.
Hermantown and Virginia is a battle.
Post #: 29
RE: High School Hockey - 3/10/2010 6:00:08 PM   
Jeff Jesser

HAHA~~KE is a cake eater 
Post #: 30
RE: High School Hockey - 3/10/2010 6:00:49 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Has Orono done anything lately?  They and Mound were our big rivals.
Post #: 31
RE: High School Hockey - 3/11/2010 9:20:28 AM   
Pete M.

quote:

ORIGINAL: So.Mn.Fan

Mahtomedi looked tough in the first A game.

My alma mater is doing me proud.
Post #: 32
RE: High School Hockey - 3/11/2010 12:32:07 PM   
Todd G

I'm all over Roseau in AA.  They get the true cake eaters in Minnesota, Edina.
I've gotta pull for Warroad in A.

The titles need to go back where they belong, an ice pond in the middle of the woods.
Post #: 33
RE: High School Hockey - 3/11/2010 10:03:45 PM   
TJSweens

The Hill Murray v Duluth East game is pretty wild so far. The best game of the 1st round by far.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 34
RE: High School Hockey - 3/11/2010 10:08:28 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Saw East up-close at the holiday tourney this year.
They fit the description I always give of teams who give all ... they play like their hair is on fire.
Great motors in those kids.
You're right, Tim, best game of the round, had to wait until the last one.
Hill is loaded as usual.
Post #: 35
RE: High School Hockey - 3/12/2010 1:10:42 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

HAHA~~KE is a cake eater 

Yum-cake!!

I agree with Todd though, Edina is where the spoiled brats come from, or used to.
(I had relatives there! )
Post #: 36
RE: High School Hockey - 3/12/2010 3:59:53 PM   
Jeff Jesser

All you guys considered us the Children of the Corn so we all called you cake eaters 
Post #: 37
RE: High School Hockey - 3/12/2010 5:06:56 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Wow, that Mahtomedi/Hermantown game was one of the all-time classics.
Took a lot of fortitude to keep coming back in the third down two goals.
Praying Hermantown has enough in the tank to hang with the ultimate cake-eaters, Breck.
Soooo stupid they are in Class A.
47 kids tried out for their varsity hockey team.
We barely have that in the whole youth program.
Don't tell me that is a tiny school and should be classified that way.
It's a small private school that attracts fantastic hockey players. There is a huge difference.

Should be a couple barn-burners tonight.
Hoping AV can keep the slipper on.
Post #: 38
RE: High School Hockey - 3/12/2010 6:34:49 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I saw the highlights of that game and wondered the same thing.  How the shit is Breck considered A?  
Post #: 39
RE: High School Hockey - 3/12/2010 9:01:20 PM   
TJSweens

My wife and I were there for the Class A games today. Hermantown is a great offensive team, but on defense it's like having a whole unit of Skoulas.

Agreed on Breck. They are like my alma mater STA. A private school hockey factory, using their enrollment to sandbag down in class A rather than risk competing against teams of their own caliber.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 40
RE: High School Hockey - 3/13/2010 7:55:00 AM   
So.Mn.Fan

Unreal game late last night, THAT was a classic.
Hill-Murray was masterful in shutting down a potent Tonka team, and Tonka stuck with it long enough to out-last them.
Great coaching and strategy, unbelievable goaltending, all-in-all one of the best HS games ever.
Almost 90 minutes of hockey. Both teams gave all.
Post #: 41
[Deleted] - 8/3/2011 10:23:45 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]
  Post #: 42
Gophers to be - 9/6/2011 2:45:19 PM   
Stacey King

All three major junior leagues are now in pre-season play, so new reputations are already being forged on the ice. Some of the biggest names – such as Quebec’s Mikhail Grigorenko and London’s Max Domi – have hit the ground running, but who else should you know for the upcoming season? Here’s a look at some of the players we’re excited to see in the NHL one day.

Mike Reilly, D – Penticton Vees (BCHL)

The Columbus Blue Jackets have long danced with talented offensive defensemen in their organization and the results have been middling, from Kris Russell to the still-developing John Moore. But Reilly was impressive at rookie camp this summer and though he’s a long-term project, his efforts bode well for the Blue Jackets.

“I like to jump into the rush and also be reliable in my own zone,” Reilly said. “I like to be that ‘fourth forward.’ ”

A native of Minnesota, Reilly is part of a wave of kids from that state playing for Penticton this year. Two others? His older twin brothers, Connor and Ryan. All three are committed to the University of Minnesota for 2012-13, but in the meantime, the Reilly boys were intrigued by what the Vees offered.

“We saw they played an offensive style and a puck possession game,” Mike said. “It was a good fit for us.”

While the twins played in the United States League last year, Mike honed his game at Shattuck St-Mary’s, the famous Minnesota prep school. For the skilled blueliner, hockey is about taking a new challenge every season.

“Shattucks was a step up from high school,” he said. “And this will be a way for me to get my feet wet in junior before heading off to college.”

While Columbus certainly won’t rush Reilly’s progress, it’s fair to say the Jackets will be very interested in how that step-by-step approach goes.

Drafted 98th overall by Columbus in 2011.
Post #: 43
[Deleted] - 9/15/2011 9:29:32 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]
  Post #: 44
RE: High School Hockey - 1/3/2012 10:29:31 AM   
Lynn G.

I see that Koivu and Prosser were among the people who sent notes to the Jablonski kid who is paralyzed from the hit in junior hockey. I'm praying that in surgery (today I think) they can repair the broken spine and he can regain feeling in his legs. I understand he already has some motion in his arms.

Medical miracles happen all the time. Let's hope this is one of those times.

Post #: 45
RE: High School Hockey - 1/3/2012 12:37:06 PM   
SoMnFan

Hear hear Lynn
As usual the hockey community rallies around
No need to correct you, but this was hs hockey action (jv level)
Scary stuff we all have in the back of our minds at all times
Hoping for the best

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 1/3/2012 12:45:18 PM >

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 46
[Deleted] - 6/30/2012 2:52:42 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]
  Post #: 47
RE: [Deleted] - 2/4/2014 10:13:38 AM   
Lynn G.

This looks like quite a problem - high school hockey players leaving early for those other programs (USHL and the comparable Canadian league) has a direct effect on the quality of our famed High School Hockey tournament. The programs seem to be proactive now - trying to make it more attractive for kids to stay.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article/show/345660

quote:

Before this season, when a record 41 high school players quit before the season to advance their careers elsewhere, the hockey pedigree included Mike Ramsey’s kid. The son of the Burnsville coach. The son of a top high school official overseeing the prized state hockey tournament.

The exodus, now more than two decades in the making, has some observers downgrading the prestige of the high school league’s most popular state tournament, set for its 70th run in just four weeks.
Post #: 48
RE: [Deleted] - 2/4/2014 10:59:42 AM   
SoMnFan

I've been in the game for 25 plus years
Been argued about every year
Will never change
I've personally had at least a half-dozen kids leave my program for "greener" pastures.
Its a HUGE topic that has a different answer for each individual case.
Can't be solved with any blanket recommendation's.
Two years ago I spent a summer in negotiations with our programs best-ever player, who I had worked with his whole career.
I'm as stay-at-home a guy as you will find, but in the end, after much soul-searching, I gave him my blessing to move on. (after allowing him to play HS hockey with us as an 8th grader).
Everyone freaks about it, but each situation is unique. He moved on and is advancing nicely up the ladder. He will probably get higher on the eventual ladder by what he did.
But he and another kid we had a couple years older ... gave up the greatest moment we can experience last season, when we unexpectedly MADE the state tourney.
You see the look on his face as he came back and watched his buddies. It was heart-breaking. Hard asses will say "screw you kid". I don't. As I said, each one has to make some very very very tough choices. We currently have a phenom down the road from here being watched by everyone as an 8th grader. he will also have to do what is right for him to get where he wants to end up.
The call is so tough. Its heart wrenching, it really is. And they are all good kids, and mostly decent parents, who only want the best.
And when those talented kids leave, other kids get a better opp to fill in and raise their level.
I've got a hundred personal stories about hockey development, the rights and the wrongs. Some with my own kids, all the others with kids I have coached. Hundreds. I'm sure its that way in all sports by now, but with hockey, its always been a given.
The state tourney will always be the best. That won't change no matter how many mucky-mucks stand around and whine that it isn't.
It was the greatest experience of my 25 year coaching career, by about 7000%.  

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 49
RE: High School Hockey - 2/4/2014 2:11:46 PM   
Lynn G.

Very good points Scott. It certainly isn't a black and white discussion where the same advice would fit every kid. And your point about other kids getting an opportunity when those upper echelon kids leave hadn't occurred to me.

Each family needs to figure out what is best for their own child because as parents that's our responsibility.
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: High School Hockey Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode