Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/1/2015 10:42:31 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

Congrats to Amanda for being 1st team all American

Outstanding accomplishment.
The elite in the entire country is a hard group to break into, in her case, virtually out of nowhere.
She's setting herself up nicely for a long career. Good for her. And the U.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 276
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/1/2015 3:16:26 PM   
TJSweens

I'm surprised to find out that Zahui B. is the first one that the program produced. Janel McCarville wasn't even first team All American the year she was the first pick in the WNBA draft.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 277
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/1/2015 5:14:20 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Amanda Zahui B became the first Gopher Women's Basketball Player to be named a AP First Team All-American on Tuesday. She adds this to her other honors this season including being named a First Team All-American by ESPN W, the Big Ten Player of the Year.

Zahui B becomes the first Gopher All-American since Janel McCarville in 2005. McCarville was named a second team AP All-American in 2005, as was Lindsay Whalen in 2003 and 2004, but Zahui B is the first ever first team AP All-American for the program.

Zahui B was also named later Tuesday to the 10-player US Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) All-American Team. She becomes just the third Gopher to make the USBWA All-American Team after McCarville in 2005, and Whalen in 2004.

Zahui B had an amazing sophomore season averaging 18.8 points, 12.6 rebounds and 4.2 blocks per game. She posted the top single-game marks the NCAA this season with 29 rebounds versus Iowa, 12 blocks against Penn State and a 1.000 (11-11) field goal percentage versus Purdue. Zahui B. is also one of only two players in the NCAA to post two triple-doubles on the year.

Just two seasons into her Gopher career, she already is the Gophers' all-time blocks leader with 239 career blocks, and broke her own program single-season blocks record of 105 blocks that she set last season with 134 this season.

Zahui B still has a small chance an another award this weekend as the Wooden, Naismith and Wade Award winners are all announced. Zahui B is a finalist for all three awards, but is an underdog to either Jewel Lloyd of Notre dame or Breanna Stewart of UConn, both of whom were unanimous All-American selections.

The entire AP First Team All-American Selections are below:

Jewell Loyd, Notre Dame Jr.

Breanna Stewart, UConn Jr.

Tiffany Mitchell, South Carolina Jr.

Nina Davis, Baylor So.

Amanda Zahui B, Minnesota So
Post #: 278
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/6/2015 1:08:01 PM   
Mr. Ed

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- A person close to the situation says Minnesota sophomore Amanda Zahui B. has declared for the WNBA draft.

The WNBA has strict rules about who may leave school early to be drafted. Zahui B. is from Sweden and is eligible because she will turn 22 during the calendar year of the draft.

The person spoke to The Associated Press on Monday on condition of anonymity because no announcement has been made.

Zahui B. could be the top pick in the April 16 draft. She had until Monday at 11:59 p.m. to declare herself eligible.

The 6-foot-5 center was an AP All-American, averaging 18.8 points, 12.9 rebounds and 4.1 blocks. She was fourth in the nation in rebounding and helped guide the Gophers to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2009.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 279
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/6/2015 1:11:15 PM   
Mr. Ed

bummer

Escape while you can!
Post #: 280
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/6/2015 1:36:20 PM   
David Levine

Hard to blame her. But sucks for the Gophers and Lynx.
Post #: 281
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/6/2015 2:08:35 PM   
TJSweens

No, you can't blame her and it really does just suck-ass for the Gophers. Zahui B., Banham and an emerging Wagner with the talent coming in next year has the stuff to make a deep NCAA run. Stollings now oses her two best players and her entire front court. She is going to have to go into full scramble mode to find post talent for next year.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 282
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/6/2015 2:12:43 PM   
David Levine

Zahui B had the following quote on her decision, “Over the past few years I've learned a lot about making difficult decisions involving my life, education, and future starting with a major move from my home country to the United States. Though challenging, that initial decision has proved to be a step in the right direction. I am most grateful for the University of Minnesota and the Golden Gopher basketball program and athletic department for believing in me and welcoming me as I sought to make something great of my life and grooming my talents further. In two years, the University of Minnesota became home. The coaches, university staff, teammates and community have helped me in many ways; I truly want to thank them all. I will forever be a Gopher and will support their continued success.”
Post #: 283
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/7/2015 9:09:50 AM   
SoMnFan

Ouch
Ouch
Ouch
The problem with finally possessing a superstar.
Feel bad for the program.
Leaves a sour taste and a hole, when your bell cow bolts.
Know too well how it feels.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 284
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/16/2015 10:36:09 AM   
TJSweens

Kenisha Bell is transferring to the Gophers from Marquette. She was their second leading scorer last year as a freshman. She averaged 14.5 points, 5.2 rebounds and 2.7 assists in 29 starts. I think she initially committed to Borton and then decommitted then committed before Stollings was hired.

Unfortunately she isn't eligible until the 2016 season.

Post #: 285
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 7/16/2015 6:16:27 AM   
Mr. Ed

This is just across the border

The only news better than what Annalese Lamke received to start her Wednesday was the news that ended it.

The Gale-Ettrick-Trempealeau High School graduate went to bed Tuesday night with her basketball future stuck in neutral at Northern Illinois University and without a clue of what was going to happen in a matter of hours.

Lamke, a 6-foot-3 center, woke up Wednesday to learn of her release by the Huskies between 7:30 and 8 a.m. and accepted a scholarship offer from the University of Minnesota that was finalized just about 12 hours later.

“I had been waiting almost a month for my release to be processed, and we got the email in the morning,” said Lamke, the Daily News’ player of the year after averaging 19.8 points and 7.8 rebounds for the Red Hawks (22-2). “I heard my mom (Donna) scream, and she made me come and read the email myself.

“It said I had my complete release. I was so excited and so relieved that I could move on.”

Lamke only requested the release after coach Kathi Bennett resigned her post at NIU in April. The Huskies hired Lisa Carlsen to take over on July 1, but Lamke knew she wanted to explore other options. She talked to Carlsen once after she was hired and expressed her desire to leave.

“After Coach Bennett left,” Lamke said, “I wasn’t interested in Northern Illinois.”

That’s where the Gophers and familiar face of assistant coach John Motherwell entered the picture. Motherwell recruited Lamke when he was part of the staff at Detroit Mercy.

“I was kind of paying attention to Minnesota because of Coach Motherwell,” Lamke said. “I saw a lot of his tweets about the incredible season the team had last year.”

A conversation with associate head coach Nikita Lowry Dawkins, the paperwork was flowing, and Lamke was embarking on a new collegiate home, which eased some of the anxiety that had been building over the summer.

“I was starting to get worried about what was going to happen,” said Lamke, who won seven medals — a Division 2 shot put title as a sophomore and discus championship as a senior — as a thrower for the G-E-T track and field team. “My friends were talking about getting class schedules and going to orientations, and I hadn’t done any of that.

“(The process) just kept dragging on.”

Lamke said she’s excited about playing at Minnesota not only for the chance to compete in the Big Ten Conference, but for the chance to compete closer to the people she knows and loves.

Her parents aren’t the only ones who will be closer. Lamke’s brother, Chandler, plays football and attends St. Thomas in St. Paul.

“It’s a win-win-win situation for me,” she said. “I’m going to be a lot closer to everyone and playing for a team that is doing some exciting things.”

The Gophers are coming off a 23-9 season and their first NCAA Tournament berth in six years under coach Marlene Stollings, who took over the program prior to the 2014-2015 season.

“She has the team going in a great direction,” Lamke said of Stollings. “She’s already been great for the program, and I can’t wait to get there.”

Lamke said the coaching staff didn’t bring up playing time or the possibility of redshirting on Wednesday, but lamke was clear on her choice in the matter if she gets one.

“I have no desire to redshirt,” said the second-team Associated Press All-State selection. “It hasn’t been mentioned. I just want to play.”

Escape while you can!
Post #: 286
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 11/13/2015 8:06:48 PM   
Mr. Ed

Final at Williams: ‪#‎Gophers‬ get the home opening victory with a new school record 15 three-pointers!98-54

Escape while you can!
Post #: 287
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 11/30/2015 11:06:07 AM   
TJSweens

Congratulations to Rachel Banham on breaking Lindsey Whalen's career scoring record. Looks like the loss of King and Zahui B. has transformed them into a 4 guard run and gun, aerial circus. Lots of 3's being fired up.

Post #: 288
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 1/21/2016 1:02:10 PM   
TJSweens

The women's team knocked off a top 20 team last night in Northwestern. They have a winning Big Ten record despite not having a center due to the surprise loss of Zahui B. to the WNBA. Rachel Banham and Carlie Wagner are suddenly about the best 1-2 punch in the conference.

Post #: 289
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 1/28/2016 9:16:52 AM   
Mr. Ed

Great rant

Wisconsin women's basketball coach Bobbie Kelsey was on the losing end of a 75-62 game against Nebraska, but she won the press conference with a sudden, somewhat umprompted speech about the need for women's basketball to improve its overall shooting prowess.
Kelsey was answering a question about Nebraska guard Natalie Romeo — one of the nation's best 3-point shooters who tied her own school record with eight treys on the night — when she started to talk about how Romeo, and Wisconsin guard Nicole Bauman, got as good as they are, and she got rolling after that.
"I'm sure (Romeo) didn't wake up one morning and say 'oh, I'm going to be a good shooter today," Kelsey said. "You gotta get your butt in the gym. Steph Curry shows you that. I saw him in high school. He looked like a 2-year-old out there — but the boy could shoot. And so what'd he do? He kept shooting. So, if people they're going to get on the pillowcase, it's not going to happen. You can't nap your way to being a great shooter, and Facebooking it, and all these things teenagers do. You need to put the phone down, stop Face-timing, stop tweeting, and get your butt in the gym.
"And it don't have to be an hour, two hours. Twenty minutes every day — that's what (Bauman) does, and ten minutes after practice every day. That's it. There's no magic formula. There's no secret potion you rub on your hands. Get your butt in the gym and practice. Period. End of story. And you can shoot like that, too. "
Was Kelsey trying to send a message to her own team with that answer?
"Absolutely," she said. "Every team needs to do more of that. Women's basketball, can you hear me? Get your butt in the gym. You've got people throwing the ball over the basket. Nobody wants to watch that. I don't. I enjoy watching good solid basketball if people make their shots, whether I'm coaching against them or it's my team doing it.
"Women's basketball players need to get their butt in the gym and get shots up because we can't dunk. Brittney Griner's graduated. I don't see nobody else dunking out here. Candace Parker? She was gone a long time ago. People need to get in the gym — that's where our game needs to grow. We need to be shooting the ball and making it, and then people will come out and watch us play.
"Sorry to go on my soapbox, but that's how I feel about it. We need some more Romeos and Baumans out here."
As Kelsey left the podium, she reiterated: "You don't have to use correct grammar. Get your butt in the gym!"
Copyright ©2016 Omaha World-Herald.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 290
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 2/5/2016 11:17:09 AM   
TJSweens

The Gophers continue to claw their way toward an NCAA birth despite a complete lack of an inside player. Stollings 4-guard "Fury" offense and pressure defense is succeeding. Maybe young Richard should pick up some pointers from her.

Post #: 291
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 2/5/2016 11:19:38 AM   
SoMnFan

As a downtrodden KARE11 staff said last night as they signed off of sports ....

THANK GOD FOR WOMEN
Post #: 292
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 2/7/2016 5:02:18 PM   
David Levine

Gopher point guard Rachel Banham scored 60 points in a 112-106 Double OT win at Northwestern Sunday afternoon. The 60 points sets a new Big Ten record, and tied the NCAA Division I record.

Banham had 20 points at the half, and scored several clutch baskets at the end of regulation and at the end of the first OT period to extend the game. Banham came into Sunday's game averaging just over 24 points per game.
The win was critical to the Gophers' hopes for a first round bye in the Big Ten Tournament, moving their Big Ten Record to 8-4 on the season.
Post #: 293
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 2/8/2016 6:31:19 AM   
TJSweens

Banham had 60 pts on 19 of 32 shooting (8/15 on 3pt). She won the battle with in state rival Nia Coffey who had 28 pits. Carlie Wagner had 21. We'll see if this moves Banham / Wagner into the top spot for scoring duos. They were #2 in the nation going into the game. On the downside, gaes like this one reduce her chances of sliding to the Lynx. She would be a good fit at the right time.

Post #: 294
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 2/15/2016 8:38:49 PM  1 votes
twinsfan

The Gophers women's team has no gold and no maroon on their unis tonight. That's horrible.
Post #: 295
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 2/15/2016 8:39:57 PM   
twinsfan

Banham just hit 30 points with a rainmaker 3. Helluva player.
Post #: 296
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 2/15/2016 8:49:51 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Banham just hit 30 points with a rainmaker 3. Helluva player.

Just an incredible run.
Post #: 297
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 2/15/2016 9:17:58 PM   
twinsfan

That was epic. You had to see it to believe it. Down 1 point, Banham takes a 3 at the buzzer....falling down.....NOTHING BUT NET.

She's the new Lindsay Whalen...only better.
Post #: 298
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 2/15/2016 9:20:19 PM   
SoMnFan

The women in this state play like killers.
The men .... not so much.
Post #: 299
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 2/15/2016 9:21:25 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

The women in this state play like killers.
The men .... not so much.

Iowa played them tough. I thought we were finished. She can't make the shot every time, can she? Yes she can.
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode