Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/17/2008 4:45:04 PM   
TJSweens

Tonight is a great chance for a program defining moment. Best of luck to Tubby and the boys.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 76
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/17/2008 4:54:48 PM   
djskillz

Man, my Pepperdine coach Walberg quit today for personal/family reasons.  He was really supposed to/set to resurrect the program in a big way.  Sucks bigtime.

I'm gonna try to get some info. to see exactly what happened.  But it still sucks.  If he ends up going back to Memphis as Calipari's chief consultant, I will be pissed. 

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 77
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/18/2008 12:55:01 AM   
djskillz

So, you guys know how Pistol Pete has the scoring record for NCAA with 44 points/game for his career or whatever?

Well, I just heard that someone went back and charted his games with today's 3 point-line, etc., and his scoring average under today's rules would have been 57 points/game in COLLEGE! 

That is freaking so unbelievable I had to post it. 

People talk about Nash now as a comparable to him, but I don't think he could hold Pete's jock.  If you look at the film, Pete's no different than him as far as skills (maybe even better) but Pete was so much bigger than Nash is, and he was obviously a much better scorer.  I don't usually believe in the "old" guys, but Pete's definitely an exception to me.  A man truly ahead of his time. 

Anyway, thought that was interesting so I had to share.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 78
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/18/2008 9:22:26 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

So, you guys know how Pistol Pete has the scoring record for NCAA with 44 points/game for his career or whatever?

Well, I just heard that someone went back and charted his games with today's 3 point-line, etc., and his scoring average under today's rules would have been 57 points/game in COLLEGE! 

People talk about Nash now as a comparable to him, but I don't think he could hold Pete's jock.  If you look at the film, Pete's no different than him as far as skills (maybe even better) but Pete was so much bigger than Nash is, and he was obviously a much better scorer.  I don't usually believe in the "old" guys, but Pete's definitely an exception to me.  A man truly ahead of his time. 

Maravich is still my all-time favorite college basketball player, but those numbers are incorrect.

Maravich made 1387 field goals in 83 games, plus 893 free throws.  In order for his avg points per game to be 57, over 90% of his field goals would have had to been beyond where the 3 point line would have been. 
  Post #: 79
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/18/2008 9:55:48 AM   
Jim Frenette

Tough loss for the Gophers lst night. They played well most of the game, but thier foul shots and 3 point shooting was off last night. I did like the btter defense they played in the second half. Indiana did a great job on guarding Hoffarber keeping him from setting up for the 3.

Fargo
Post #: 80
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/18/2008 10:53:41 AM   
David Levine

Free throws killed us. I know Tollickson is bad at the line, but you can't go 0 for 7.

I think we missed 10 or 12 total, but how many of those were the front end of a 1 and 1?
Post #: 81
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/18/2008 10:58:59 AM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Free throws killed us. I know Tollickson is bad at the line, but you can't go 0 for 7.

I think we missed 10 or 12 total, but how many of those were the front end of a 1 and 1?

I was thinking he shot FT better last year.

Most of them were the front ends.

Fargo
Post #: 82
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/18/2008 2:23:53 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pete C

quote:

Maravich is still my all-time favorite college basketball player, but those numbers are incorrect.

Maravich made 1387 field goals in 83 games, plus 893 free throws.  In order for his avg points per game to be 57, over 90% of his field goals would have had to been beyond where the 3 point line would have been. 

It's not quite that, but that is the calculation that someone did based on his play by play.  13 3's per game.

Post #: 83
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/18/2008 2:30:58 PM   
djskillz

Hmm, apparently his coach also calculated it.  This is a direct quote from his wikipedia page:

It was calculated by LSU coach Dale Brown that Maravich would have averaged 57 points per game with the benefit of a college three-point line.

Post #: 84
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/18/2008 4:13:51 PM   
quote:

quote:

quote:

It's not quite that, but that is the calculation that someone did based on his play by play.  13 3's per game.

I liked Dale Brown but he's exaggerating on this one.  According to those numbers, 13 3's per game, that would mean that he only made a little over 2 field goals per game that would have been inside the arc.  Not likely.  Maravich scored in the paint and on breaks as well as anybody.

13 3's= 39 points, plus 10.7 per game from the FT line.  That would leave a liitle more than two 2 point FG's per game to make a 57 per game average. 

I doubt you could find even one game where Maravich had less than 3 FG's inside where the arc would have been. 

< Message edited by Pete C -- 1/18/2008 4:38:27 PM >
  Post #: 85
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/18/2008 5:05:14 PM   
djskillz

Ya, not sure Pete.  As I said, someone went through and supposedly charted every game of his, play by play.  But either way, incredibly impressive.

I tend to agree with you, but to play devil's advocate, I thought he dished on the vast majority of his fast break stuff. 

Overall, like I said, I agree with you though.  Still crazy to think about though.  Wish I got to see him play live in college myself.

Post #: 86
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/18/2008 6:47:44 PM   
quote:

Ya, not sure Pete.  As I said, someone went through and supposedly charted every game of his, play by play.  But either way, incredibly impressive.

I tend to agree with you, but to play devil's advocate, I thought he dished on the vast majority of his fast break stuff. 

Overall, like I said, I agree with you though.  Still crazy to think about though.  Wish I got to see him play live in college myself.

He averaged 13.8 free throw attempts per game.  You don't go to the line 14 times a game strictly shooting from the perimeter. 

As far as him passing on the breaks, he was too good.  Really, his passes were ahead of his time.  He was doing fake wrap-arounds and flips behind the shoulder 10 years before Magic.  Problem is nobody could catch them.
  Post #: 87
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/22/2008 1:53:44 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

What will happen with this year's club?
Spend the entire year not-quite-getting-over-the-hump?
Or will they put together a nice run of wins and do well come tourney-time?
Enjoy your takes on this ...
What is their biggest area of need to get them over the hump?
Will graduation be a big problem this year?
What are the prospects for next year and beyond?
Very happy they are competitive again, just don't want to see them plateau at "almost".  
Post #: 88
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/22/2008 2:52:04 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: So.Mn.Fan

What will happen with this year's club?
Spend the entire year not-quite-getting-over-the-hump?
Or will they put together a nice run of wins and do well come tourney-time?
Enjoy your takes on this ...

I think they are too talent challenged to fully get over the hump. I think they have a legitimate shot at getting to the dance, but won't do better than a first round victory.

What is their biggest area of need to get them over the hump?

Talent.

Will graduation be a big problem this year?

No. They lose Tollackson, McKenzie and Coleman. They augment Nolan and Hoffbarber with a top 5 recruiting class. What they lose in experience they will more than make up in talent.

What are the prospects for next year and beyond?

I expect the dance next year and a run in the dance 2 years from now.

Very happy they are competitive again, just don't want to see them plateau at "almost". 

Amen

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 89
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/22/2008 3:46:34 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Thanks Tim. Appreciate the opinions.
Used to be a huge BB guy, hockey has taken that over at this point.
Glad to hear the optimism.
Post #: 90
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/30/2008 8:53:37 AM   
Anybody watch the Bama/Tennessee game last night?  Senario Hillman had two of the sickest dunks I've seen this year and he's only 6-1.
  Post #: 91
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/30/2008 10:11:05 AM   
Jim Frenette

Just about everyone can dunk now and I don't see them as exciting as I used to. Too much Hot Dog put into them. I love see the 3 pt shots hit nothing but net.

Fargo
Post #: 92
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/30/2008 8:46:49 PM   
KState putting it to Kansas.
  Post #: 93
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/30/2008 9:33:05 PM   
I know I'm talking to myself here, cuz we don't have a general NCAA BB thread (and I don't know how to make one) but Rose and CDR get a ton of publicity at Memphis, but Joey Dorsey is an absolute beast. 
  Post #: 94
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/30/2008 9:54:51 PM   
Lynn G.

quote:

... cuz we don't have a general NCAA BB thread (and I don't know how to make one)

Just click on "New Post" and you can start one up.  Give it a "subject" and then have at it with the first post in your new thread.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 95
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/30/2008 9:58:13 PM   
Thanks, Lynn.

But I don't even know where to put it.  Under "Other MN. Sports" or "Golden Gophers" doesn't make sense???

< Message edited by Pete C -- 1/30/2008 10:01:28 PM >
  Post #: 96
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/30/2008 10:21:38 PM   
djskillz

Let me know if you do start one, Pete.  You know I'm a CBB junkie too.

Post #: 97
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/30/2008 10:27:14 PM   
quote:

Best sport in the world.
  Post #: 98
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/30/2008 10:59:11 PM   
djskillz

quote:

quote:

Best sport in the world.

It's not QUITE for me as I LOVE baseball too.  But it is RIGHT there.  And nothing, NOTHING in sports beats March Madness.

Post #: 99
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/31/2008 7:31:19 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Geez, I feel 25 years younger.
Gophers BB on the road and dominating a weaker Big 10 team right now.
The way it should be.
Amazing this same core of guys could not put it together before Tubby came along.
I like the inside/outside ability of this club tonight. 
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode